Best program in the NNNBE | The Boneyard

Best program in the NNNBE

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since upstater loves to slander them, I figured I'd share a picture of Creighton's arena tonight.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Much nicer then the Cameron Indoor....but I wouldn't trade.

Nice crowd....basketball school proud.

Reaction Score
What? You're one of those BE will be better than AAC people. Clearly, the AAC has it over the BE, in teams and in interest.

The BE's problem is that two of the marquees, Georgetown and Butler, just suck. I never said Creighton would have no fans or that they would suck. I knew Doug McDermott was good. I did say Creighton has choked and sucked in theNCAA tourney for the last 30 years. That's undeniable. I expect next to nothing from Creighton in the post McDermott years. Going into the season, I said the BE would have 2 great teams in Creighton and Georgetown. They're lucky Villanova came jup because they'd be looking awful right now without them.

Not that anyone would have noticed. They are buried in anonymity on FS1.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you're a Creighton fan, CR couldn't have played out any better.

Upgrading from a MVC ( is that even there former league?) to even the NNNBE must be beyond awesome.

Reaction Score
Creighton and Wichita State in the Missouri Valley has been a nice little rivalry in BB and baseball...

Reaction Score
Put it this way, the upstater side of the schizo personality is not at all a fan of a team from Omaha, Nebraska. Obviously, the less crazy side.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What? You're one of those BE will be better than AAC people. Clearly, the AAC has it over the BE, in teams and in interest.

The BE's problem is that two of the marquees, Georgetown and Butler, just suck. I never said Creighton would have no fans or that they would suck. I knew Doug McDermott was good. I did say Creighton has choked and sucked in theNCAA tourney for the last 30 years. That's undeniable. I expect next to nothing from Creighton in the post McDermott years. Going into the season, I said the BE would have 2 great teams in Creighton and Georgetown. They're lucky Villanova came jup because they'd be looking awful right now without them.

Not that anyone would have noticed. They are buried in anonymity on FS1.

I think the Big East is a more compelling basketball league in the long term. Probably will end up being about equal in the computers most years.

Creighton has overperformed their seeds over the past 15 years - you have a weird definition of 'undeniable'. I don't know why Creighton can't continue to have a good program - it's not like they didn't have good teams before McDermott.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Conference Realignment has destroyed countless rivalries and traditions. So, it's both refreshing and aspirant that the slanderous, salacious and storied rivalry of Whaler11 vs. Upstater continues to persevere. . .

Eh. I like upstater - he posts some interesting things on topics I know little about. I just like getting under his skin sometimes - I think Creighton has a great program - he thinks they suck. When you have a combined 20k posts you run out of things to argue, so sometimes you need to recycle.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East is a more compelling basketball league in the long term. Probably will end up being about equal in the computers most years.

Creighton has overperformed their seeds over the past 15 years - you have a weird definition of 'undeniable'. I don't know why Creighton can't continue to have a good program - it's not like they didn't have good teams before McDermott.

Really, Creigthon was lower seeded than UN-Reno (2007) and Central Michigan (2003)? Because they lost to those teams. I'd be surprised if they were lower seeded.

In the last 40 NCAA tournaments, Creighton has made it 14 times. They go about once every 3 years. Since 1975, they haven't made it past the first weekend. You would think that in 14 tries, they'd make just one Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Eh. I like upstater - he posts some interesting things on topics I know little about. I just like getting under his skin sometimes - I think Creighton has a great program - he thinks they suck. When you have a combined 20k posts you run out of things to argue, so sometimes you need to recycle.

I do think Creighton's underwhelming and a big part of the winning is a weak conference.

That being said, stars aligned for them this year. They are the real deal. I can see them going very far with that team--but I don't see them being good consistently. As for the compelling BE, this league is about to crater if Georgetown hits the skids. It would be like UConn falling off the map in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I always thought Whaler and Upstater were the same person.

They are likely not the same person, but could be related. I grew up with 2 other brothers and we were all 1 year apart. Their exchanges remind me of the many Red Sox vs. Yankees debates that erupted while we were growing up, which, in retrospect, was actually kind of fun.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Really, Creigthon was lower seeded than UN-Reno (2007) and Central Michigan (2003)? Because they lost to those teams. I'd be surprised if they were lower seeded.

In the last 40 NCAA tournaments, Creighton has made it 14 times. They go about once every 3 years. Since 1975, they haven't made it past the first weekend. You would think that in 14 tries, they'd make just one Sweet 16.

Since 1999 they have gone 9 times and this year will make 10. So 2 out of 3 years in the span of time anyone remembers.

In that time they have knocked off Cinci, Alabama, Louisville and Florida. The only time they have lost to a lower seed is 2003 when they lost a 6/11 game to CMU.

Shocking you are wrong, Reno was a 7 and Creighton was a 10.

It's also shocking a school that racks up 8, 9 and 10 seeds doesn't make the second weekend very often. I wonder why that is?

Have they made a run like VCU or Butler - no? But that only puts them in a class with 80% of the power conference teams and 98% of the non-power conference teams.

They are consistently good and have the best mid-major fan base in the country - did they not hire you for a job or something? It's a bizarre team to dislike so much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I do think Creighton's underwhelming and a big part of the winning is a weak conference.

That being said, stars aligned for them this year. They are the real deal. I can see them going very far with that team--but I don't see them being good consistently. As for the compelling BE, this league is about to crater if Georgetown hits the skids. It would be like UConn falling off the map in the AAC.

I find Xavier, Butler, Nova, Creighton, Providence and St. John's more interesting than SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, East Carolina, Temple and Memphis.

Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I'd rather watch basketball games between schools that value their basketball programs I guess. Outside of UConn, Memphis and Temple that dynamic isn't too easy to find in the AAC.

Reaction Score
They also never made a run like...George Mason. Just Saying.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I don't think the MVC has been weak the last 15 years and I don't hold Creighton to the same standards I would hold UConn or Syracuse or Texas. Of course their record is a function of who they play, but who you can recruit is a function of who you play with as well. I think they will be a pretty consistent at-large team going forward.

Reaction Score
I find Xavier, Butler, Nova, Creighton, Providence and St. John's more interesting than SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, East Carolina, Temple and Memphis.

Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I'd rather watch basketball games between schools that value their basketball programs I guess. Outside of UConn, Memphis and Temple that dynamic isn't too easy to find in the AAC.
Cincinnati? Going forward, I think a nucleus of UConn, Memphis, Temple, and Cincy isn't bad most years. Sadly, Temple has gone in the sheeter at a bad time. Tulane and Tulsa are note good in either football or basketball. Still tough to see the logic behind those adds as has been stated for the 100oth time on these boards. UMass would have been a better add than Tulsa IMO.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since 1999 their second round games were losses to:
Maryland - 2 seed
Illinois - 4 seed (beat a 5 as a 12)
UNC - 1 seed
Duke - 2 seed

I guess that means they suck? I guess I should expect more from MVC teams.

Reaction Score
Since 1999 they have gone 9 times and this year will make 10. So 2 out of 3 years in the span of time anyone remembers.

In that time they have knocked off Cinci, Alabama, Louisville and Florida. The only time they have lost to a lower seed is 2003 when they lost a 6/11 game to CMU.

Shocking you are wrong, Reno was a 7 and Creighton was a 10.

It's also shocking a school that racks up 8, 9 and 10 seeds doesn't make the second weekend very often. I wonder why that is?

Have they made a run like VCU or Butler - no? But that only puts them in a class with 80% of the power conference teams and 98% of the non-power conference teams.

They are consistently good and have the best mid-major fan base in the country - did they not hire you for a job or something? It's a bizarre team to dislike so much.

Just once in 14 tries, make the Sweet 16. It's all I ask.

Wichita St, Valparaiso, MAC teams, VCU, Richmond, Butler, Xavier, Florida Gulf Coast, George Mason, Gonzaga, Cleveland St, Loyola Marymount, Davidson, Chattanooga, Bradley, Ohio U., Lasalle, Kent St, Penn, etc...

Is it really too much to ask to have them get to the sweet 16 once in 14 tries? Teams of their caliber have done it regularly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cincinnati? Going forward, I think a nucleus of UConn, Memphis, Temple, and Cincy isn't bad most years. Sadly, Temple has gone in the sheeter at a bad time. Tulane and Tulsa are note good in either football or basketball. Still tough to see the logic behind those adds as has been stated for the 100oth time on these boards. UMass would have been a better add than Tulsa IMO.

Yes sorry Cincinnati. Comparing the basketball they will be very even I think in the long run. From a which games would I rather watch, if UConn wasn't in the AAC I'd ignore it - outside of Cincinnati there isn't anyone I could even pretend to be interested in. Yes, I have an odd hatred of Memphis - I've always hated them back to the Memphis State days.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just once in 14 tries, make the Sweet 16. It's all I ask.

Wichita St, Valparaiso, MAC teams, VCU, Richmond, Butler, Xavier, Florida Gulf Coast, George Mason, Gonzaga, Cleveland St, Loyola Marymount, Davidson, Chattanooga, Bradley, Ohio U., Lasalle, Kent St, Penn, etc...

Is it really too much to ask to have them get to the sweet 16 once in 14 tries? Teams of their caliber have done it regularly.

You only judge their quality on NCAA tournament games. I look at the bigger picture - really Florida Gulf Coast had a fun run, but their two wins is worth more than 15 years of quality teams? Davidson had one sublime player - good for them, but he left and they disappeared back into the ether. Seriously Cleveland State and Loyola Marymount? Are there two better examples of flashes in the pan - from 25 years ago?

Yeah they aren't as good as Xavier, Butler and Gonzaga. Neither are 75% of the Big 12, ACC and SEC.

Reaction Score
Yes sorry Cincinnati. Comparing the basketball they will be very even I think in the long run. From a which games would I rather watch, if UConn wasn't in the AAC I'd ignore it - outside of Cincinnati there isn't anyone I could even pretend to be interested in. Yes, I have an odd hatred of Memphis - I've always hated them back to the Memphis State days.
I hear you. It is how I feel about the current Big East. I have found myself watching at least portions of ACC games (don't know why), but I have zero interest watching games involving Marquette, Providence and Seton Hall. I'd watch Nova, GTown, and St Johns in the tournament. Watching UFC prelims on FS1, last night, they were promoting Big East basketball. I cannot believer their ratings continue to suck. Fox Sports backed the wrong horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom