Best program in the NNNBE | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best program in the NNNBE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Four Final Fours back...Duke won the National Championship.

You have to go back 24 years to find a real Cinderella national Champ (UNLV).

Since 2003, five teams that are now in the ACC have won a basketball NC....

Creighton might be able to make the Sweet 16 (have they done so and when?). Many mid majors can make the Sweet Sixteen and even the Elite Eight. Even a football school like FSU has made the Sweet Sixteen of recent. But that is where the glass ceiling is.

When I was a senior at FSU, the Noles played in the finals against one of John Wooten's legendary teams...30-0 record and Bill Walton at center. Way, way back in anybody's day...but I still remember the season.

No, three times in the last four Final Fours the mid-majors have broken through the "glass ceiling" as you've defined it. BTW, in that same time period 5 Big East teams made it with multiple championships. And if you go back one more year then you have 7 Big East teams making the Final Four. I love how some ACC fans quickly co-opt Big East Success. . .

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since the Big East is dead I figured I'd check on the corpse.

Conference rankings:
KenPom: 3rd
Sagarin: 4th
RPI: 4th

To contrast to the ACC with Louisville and without two more dregs coming next year:

KenPom: 7th
Sagarins:8th
RPI: 8th

The AAC is behind the A-10 in two of those metrics and the Big East is ahead of the ACC and Pac 12 in the Pomeroys. But the Big East is dying....

Reaction Score
The ACC has been in a down period the last several years...

Cuse is doing fine...but Duke and UNC don't seem to be quite the heavyweights that they sometimes are.

FSU beat UMass and VCU but can't play with Virginia, Duke, et al.

Reaction Score
But the ratings are beyond awful. That cannot be disputed. They have to find a way to get people interested. Other content on fs1, is doing much better by comparison. What do you attribute the lack of viwership to?

Reaction Score
Since the Big East is dead I figured I'd check on the corpse.

Conference rankings:
KenPom: 3rd
Sagarin: 4th
RPI: 4th

To contrast to the ACC with Louisville and without two more dregs coming next year:

KenPom: 7th
Sagarins:8th
RPI: 8th

The AAC is behind the A-10 in two of those metrics and the Big East is ahead of the ACC and Pac 12 in the Pomeroys. But the Big East is dying....

As always the true measure will be the NCAA Tourney - how many teams from each of these conferences get in and how will they do.

And just to be clear, with all these programs shifting conferences I don't really care anymore how these teams do.....as long as Uconn maintains what it has been doing

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Creighton and Wichita State in the Missouri Valley has been a nice little rivalry in BB and baseball...

Exactly. The MVC has had some very good teams over the years, and does again right now.

Reaction Score

Your anchor, Georgetown, has a broken hip. I hope you're not counting on the anchor leg.

Reaction Score

Reading Hoyatalk, there's fear that they are down for the count. Their recruiting is tops for this year's team as well. Cameron is a 4star, Smith-Rivera also a 4, the year before that, three 4s. next year they have three 4's coming in as well. But it's not like recruiting is jumping for them. It's a straight line.

Reaction Score
Big12 football, and pac12 basketball/football had decent ratings from what i saw. So the question is, why are those leagues doing relatively well ratings wise, but not the big east? I havent looked up the numbers recently, so if that has changed i apologize.

Reaction Score

Personally, I don't even mind an 8 seed for UConn if that means we play 1 seed Cuse in Buffalo.

PC is the class of the NBE outside of Creighton and Villanova. I have little doubt at this point that you guys get a birth. Your BE resume is very good already. You may get dinged for your outside resume though.

Reaction Score
Would love a bracket with 1 Syracuse, 2 Villanova, 8 UConn, 9 Providence.

Reaction Score

You put way too much emphasis on RPI. The committee has shown in the past that they put a personal emphasis on home losses and away wins in addition to big wins. UConn is hurt more by the Stanford loss (even though Stanford is doing well in the Pac12) than it is by the Houston loss. All because of where the game was played. On the other hand, UConn gets a plus for winning at Washington, which is not an easy proposition for the Pac12 schools, including Arizona. They don't go strictly by RPI because of how often it's inflated by the success of a low major, like Boston U., or even a mid-major, like Harvard. UConn benefits from having played these two teams, and it's hurt for having played several others. But at the end of the day, low major is low major. And that's why the committee looks at OOC records game-by-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom