OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
We've had pizza from this place called Domino's.

Not exactly sure where it is, but I think it's owned by some Italian guy or something.

I'm just kidding - if you want the best pizza in Connecticut, you just head towards New Haven. And then keep driving through New Haven and don't stop until you're in New York.

Then buy pizza anywhere, get back in the car, cross the Connecticut border and eat your pizza wherever.

I can attest to the fact that the reverse often happens. A lot of the friends I left behind in ny bring Pepe's back to ny with them when they're in Connecticut, even if they have to stop at the easy-on, easy-off branch in Fairfield. If someone in the office is in Connecticut and doesn't bring back Pepe's, they're in the doghouse. Passing through at 6 am is not an excuse. They are supposed to wait.

A lot of it is just a preference with crust thickness. I've always been partial to Chicago style, but get sneered at in the Northeast for saying that. I was also in St. Louis this summer and they have their own style which was hideous. It was like they tried to see if they could make something really awful in the shape of a pizza, call it pizza, and see if people would still buy it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Not exactly sure where it is, but I think it's owned by some Italian guy or something.

I'm just kidding - if you want the best pizza in Connecticut, you just head towards New Haven. And then keep driving through New Haven and don't stop until you're in New York.

Then buy pizza anywhere, get back in the car, cross the Connecticut border and eat your pizza wherever.

Dominos?

OMG. I can't even believe someone mentioned them. Even as a joke.

Pizza Hut is way better.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I can attest to the fact that the reverse often happens. A lot of the friends I left behind in ny bring Pepe's back to ny with them when they're in Connecticut, even if they have to stop at the easy-on, easy-off branch in Fairfield. If someone in the office is in Connecticut and doesn't bring back Pepe's, they're in the doghouse. Passing through at 6 am is not an excuse. They are supposed to wait.

A lot of it is just a preference with crust thickness. I've always been partial to Chicago style, but get sneered at in the Northeast for saying that. I was also in St. Louis this summer and they have their own style which was hideous. It was like they tried to see if they could make something really awful in the shape of a pizza, call it pizza, and see if people would still buy it.
Anyone remember Pesaro's just off-campus? Your description of a pizza-shaped item is about right. If they didn't have free delivery no one would have bought it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tony's Pizza in Willimantic!

Actually, I'm sure that place is long gone, but that was the family place growing up and I remember it fondly. I was 14 before I knew that pizza doesn't usually have little crustless squares in the middle.

I always go for the middle, crustless pieces.

Reaction Score
BAR - New Haven
Zuppardis - West Haven
Modern - New Haven
Pepes - New Haven (expansion Blows)

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
We've done this before....this needs to stop (or at least be saved for some June afternoon) before I have to shake my head at some misguided soul who throws out Willington Pizza....you could even narrow this down to best pizza in new haven county.
What's wrong with Willington Pizza?

Reaction Score
for lower fairfield county like colony, rico's, glenville pizza and coal house

If you are in Stamford I second giving Colony Grill a try. Love their hot oil pizza or their stinger's pizza. Place has been there forever and it looks like it but damn it is good.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Illiano's is the best I've had east of the river, it can pass for New York pizza.

Reaction Score
After modern and Sally's (in that order), I'll bid rossini's in Cheshire. Still have not had a pizza better than any of those three (and yes, i have had pizza in New York)

Reaction Score

Where I live in SoCal, the pizza you get from the grocery store frozen food aisle is as good as any other around here...
Darn, I miss pizza:(

Reaction Score
Sally's w/o a doubt.
Sally's - Sally's on their worst day probably makes a better pie than any other CT Pizza place's best day except maybe Pepe's in New Haven. The reality is Sally's main pizza makers are amazing. The only negatives to Sally's is the wait times, mediocre service and a horrific bathroom.

Pepe's New Haven – I've never tried any of the other locations, but I probably have Pepe's more often than any other as the wait is not too brutal and the quality of their pies are great most of the time. Compared to Sally's, Pepe's is professionally run and their bad days (mediocre pies) are better than most of the other pizza places.

Modern – There was a time when Modern was a real close 3rd best pizza place around, but man it's pretty hard to get a good pie from them. I don't know who makes their pies now, but it's pretty clear that way too often the pies are too salty, greasy, poorly constructed. This place is easily the most overrated but to give them credit, they are the most efficient of the so called Big 3.

Bar – Bar was fantastic a few years ago and pretty close to Pepe's level. Bar still makes a pretty damn good pie and I consider it to be superior to Modern.

Zuppardi's in West Haven – I read on this board by some who claimed that Zuppardi's was the best in CT. I've tried it a few times when I was in the neighborhood. I've never had to wait for a seat (might tell you something). The pizza if compared to Domino's or Papa John's is fantastic. Lay off the crack pipe
if you're trying to compare it to Sally's or Pepe's.

Eli's in Hamden – I hope you are kidding.

Dayton Apizza – I tried it once as I heard it was decent. All I can say is it's a pie you can probably get anywhere in the country.

Reaction Score
I kind of like Joey's/Joey Garlics in Connecticut.
The best pizza I ever had was at Ginos (not the chain) in Chicago.

Reaction Score
My favorite pizza places: Pepes, Modern, Roseland.

Stretches is good, not great.

For a new name, that no one mentions, I really like Parma Pizza in Plainville. My favorite is the white pizza with tomato, spinach and garlic. Also like their buffalo chicken pizza.

http://www.parmapizzact.com/
If I were going to buy a pizza in Plainville it would be Pagliaccis.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with Willington Pizza?

I wouldn't spit it out or anything, but it is like asking who is the best qb in the nfl and listening to a contingent who keeps telling you its Tim Tebow.....it just doesnt belong in the catigory of BEST.

Reaction Score
Little Rendezvous in Meriden is pretty good. Declined a bit when it switched owners a couple years back.

Little Rendezvous good call.........went back to visit mom and we ordered there this summer and it was very good although just a little decline from the last owner...........Sal's has declined a bit too although they have a decent pie for Meriden also..........

Modern, Rossini's, JG's granby is more greek but very good, First & Last Plainville.....so many to choose from.

Reaction Score
I agree with Sticks.
I basically only east Mom's cooking and pizza when I visit Ct. about 3x a year. We go to a pizza place every day.
Pepe's is still better than Modern. All these pizza places are infinitely better than what you get outside the state, but after not having Pepe's for 6 months, you instantly know they do it right. Fresh tomato sauce slow simmered for a very long time, breaks down the acid. Most pizza places don't bother. That's the key for me.
The problem with Pepe's is they are inconsistent. In August, we stopped in and the pizza was fantastic, best ever. Dec. 27th we stopped in and it was packed, 30 minute wait. Not great, and for Pepe's mediocre. I took a look at the pies coming out of the over and saw some burnt way too much, and knew it would be one of those days.
If Pepe's line is too long, try Anastasio's down the street rather than Sally's. Anastasio's on Wooster is pretty underrated.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If I were going to buy a pizza in Plainville it would be Pagliaccis.

When I think of Pag's I always say it with a huge, rough Italian accent: Paaaahhhgggliiiaaaahhhhhhccciiiii's.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Little Rendezvous good call.........went back to visit mom and we ordered there this summer and it was very good although just a little decline from the last owner...........Sal's has declined a bit too although they have a decent pie for Meriden also..........

Modern, Rossini's, JG's granby is more greek but very good, First & Last Plainville.....so many to choose from.

Yeah the old owner (Dave) was a family friend and used to go there all the time. Guy knew how to make pizzas very very very well.

Reaction Score
Yeah the old owner (Dave) was a family friend and used to go there all the time. Guy knew how to make pizzas very very very well.

Quiet guy but real good guy...........still hard to make a bad one in that nice old brick oven on Pratt Street!

Anyone from the Middletown area?.....buddy is telling me "Mondo" has great pizza, better than any New Haven.........

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Quiet guy but real good guy...........still hard to make a bad one in that nice old brick oven on Pratt Street!

Still is a very underrated pizza place in CT. Wasn't better than Verdolini's in Meriden (so I hear), but that's another story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom