OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 264 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Not surprising. It's Florida. And most of the locations outside of New Haven aren't as good as the original.

The Washington DC area location seems to be hitting on all cylinders (but I agree that not many franchises are as good as the flagship):

9. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana - I don’t precisely remember my reaction when I first saw the “coming soon” sign plastered on the lower level of the Westfield Montgomery mall, but I suspect it was a mixture of joy and dread. How on earth was Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana going to re-create the Old World charm of its New Haven, Conn., location in a Bethesda mall, next to a Cheesecake Factory, no less? The key, as I discovered on my initial visit, lay with the coal-fired oven, a replica of the custom-made, 100,000-pound original back on Wooster Street. Seasoned for a couple of weeks before the pizzeria’s grand opening, the new oven turns out pies that taste, not like third-generation copies of apizzas, but like the genuine article. You’ll swear you’re sitting in a booth in New Haven, knocking back a Peroni and inhaling the aromas of garlic and briny littleneck clams on a white pie. Until you look out the window and see the mall, that is.

7101 Democracy Blvd., inside Westfield Montgomery mall, Bethesda, Md., 301-304-7373;

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
2nd rodeo with Willington Pizza’s pickle pie.

Fun for a slice (I think I must have just tried one slice last time I had it) but too much for eating a full pie.

Fun idea and the flavors are actually good: pickling spicing sprinkled atop thinly sliced pickles. Personally, under the toppings, it’s basically a white pizza, which is not my vibe.

In summary, glad I tried it, but won’t order it again unless it’s with a bigger group to have a slice or two. Love Willington Pizza, though, it always warms my heart.

View attachment 82795
in the first post, folks were all excited by the thought, and approved.
not me.
in this post, everyone watching barfed. not me, i know that it can't be real. not possible. not even thinkable.

Reaction Score
Welp…

This review is meaningless. He admits that the pie was steaming in the box. Well why bother even releasing the review?

He's criticizing them because he came at the time that they said and it had been sitting for a while.

Well news flash; it's a pizza joint it's not NASA.

If you want to critique pizza sit down, order and eat it when it comes out blazing hot.

All he's done here is review their takeout system, not the pizza.

Reaction Score
This review is meaningless. He admits that the pie was steaming in the box. Well why bother even releasing the review?

He's criticizing them because he came at the time that they said and it had been sitting for a while.

Well news flash; it's a pizza joint it's not NASA.

If you want to critique pizza sit down, order and eat it when it comes out blazing hot.

All he's done here is review their takeout system, not the pizza.
Great job analyzing a Portnoy pizza review.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've been to a number of Pepe's (all 8n New England) and while none if the newer locations are quite Wooster St, the only disappointing one I ever had was at Mohegan less than a month after it opened. I believe the issue then was that the oven was still too new. Once they get a bit seasoned the consistency in the pies improves dramatically.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I have had better pies at the West Hartford Pepe's location than the original in the past few years. Not every time, so obviously consistency is the issue.

Reaction Score
The one down the road from New Haven, in Fairfield, CT is pretty decent though....
I’ve been critical of Pepe’s for the past ten years compared to Modern, Sally’s or Zuppardis but I have to admit, a few weeks ago I stopped at the Danbury Pepe’s on my way home from work and picked up a large sausage and mushroom put it in my $90 pizza warmer bag and drove home to Kent. Pulled into the garage, my wife had the table set and we had a great pizza. Reminded me of the Pepe’s of 30 years ago. Lately, someone’s doing something right at the Danbury location, we had had a terrible pie from that location a couple years ago.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Given that the Pizza capital of the US is New Haven, I gave a hard time making with the comp for Florida pizza the original Frank Pepe location.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Washington DC area location seems to be hitting on all cylinders (but I agree that not many franchises are as good as the flagship):

9. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana - I don’t precisely remember my reaction when I first saw the “coming soon” sign plastered on the lower level of the Westfield Montgomery mall, but I suspect it was a mixture of joy and dread. How on earth was Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana going to re-create the Old World charm of its New Haven, Conn., location in a Bethesda mall, next to a Cheesecake Factory, no less? The key, as I discovered on my initial visit, lay with the coal-fired oven, a replica of the custom-made, 100,000-pound original back on Wooster Street. Seasoned for a couple of weeks before the pizzeria’s grand opening, the new oven turns out pies that taste, not like third-generation copies of apizzas, but like the genuine article. You’ll swear you’re sitting in a booth in New Haven, knocking back a Peroni and inhaling the aromas of garlic and briny littleneck clams on a white pie. Until you look out the window and see the mall, that is.

7101 Democracy Blvd., inside Westfield Montgomery mall, Bethesda, Md., 301-304-7373;

I tried the one in Alexandria back in November. I got a plain tomato pie and I got a sausage pie. had to get them delivered to a hotel and I knew the quality wouldn't be the same. And I was right. You can tell the pieces are in place if you were to get it on site for a sit down but pizzas like that don't do well if you have to get it delivered and don't have a means of properly reheating (I was in a hotel).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Help me out here.... So I'm on r/pittsburgh, and someone posts this picture. And a guy who says he's from New Haven County insists this is a Greek pizza. I've never seen a Greek pizza in CT or MA that wasn't cut in squares. Am I wrong about that? (tbomk, we do not have Greek pizza out here).

1673373956284.png

1673373803034.png

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Help me out here.... So I'm on r/pittsburgh, and someone posts this picture. And a guy who says he's from New Haven County insists this is a Greek pizza. I've never seen a Greek pizza in CT or MA that wasn't cut in squares. Am I wrong about that? (tbomk, we do not have Greek pizza out here).

View attachment 82875

View attachment 82874
Thats is greek pizza. I have a greek pizza at my desk right now. Its a medium and not cut in squares. Only larges are cut in squares.

B027EDCA-792D-4492-9FBC-00D280F62C1B.jpeg

Reaction Score
I've been to a number of Pepe's (all 8n New England) and while none if the newer locations are quite Wooster St, the only disappointing one I ever had was at Mohegan less than a month after it opened. I believe the issue then was that the oven was still too new. Once they get a bit seasoned the consistency in the pies improves dramatically.
Back in November I ordered a clam pie at Mohegan. They took my number and told me that they would text me. I adjourned to Bow and Arrow bar and expected them to text. They never did so my pie was a little cool. Terrible customer service but the pizza was good. I used to go the the one in Manchester and was always satisfied. A few times, they ripped a hole in the crust and gave me an extra. Both were good.

Reaction Score

View attachment 82875

View attachment 82874
Ours were always cut in squares but the cheese, oh, that's Greek. No matter how it's cut, it ends up in your gut!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

View attachment 82875

View attachment 82874

That is a Greek pizza.

Reaction Score

View attachment 82875

View attachment 82874
I've never seen Connecticut Greek pizza cut in squares, it's always slices. Just had some when I was back in CT, the Greek pizza in the pic is undercooked.

Reaction Score
I saw a similar debate about the shape of pizza slices on FB. That never bothered me either way but I read that you can order pie cut if you want triangles or Chicago or party cut if you want squares.

Reaction Score

View attachment 82875

View attachment 82874
Greek pizza is soooo good... but it definitely sits a little different in the belly... It's a greasy pizza.. but it's good ( eat every once in awhile )

Reaction Score
Greek pizza is soooo good... but it definitely sits a little different in the belly... It's a greasy pizza.. but it's good ( eat every once in awhile )
John’s Best in Brookfield is interesting, it’s a cross between the Greek style and the New Haven style.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom