OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 232 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
After cocktails and apps at The Tavern at Graybarns (we had a gift card from our nieces), we picked up two pizzas from Colony in Norwalk: a stinger and a salad pizza (I'm ready to take on the heat, that salad pizza was exceptional!!! :)) For some reason, we haven't ordered pizza there in months, and I'm so grateful it's a five minute drive away from us.

Reflecting back, I love the idea of drinks and apps at a nice restaurant followed by ordering take out pizza to eat at home.

Reaction Score
After cocktails and apps at The Tavern at Graybarns (we had a gift card from our nieces), we picked up two pizzas from Colony in Norwalk: a stinger and a salad pizza (I'm ready to take on the heat, that salad pizza was exceptional!!! :)) For some reason, we haven't ordered pizza there in months, and I'm so grateful it's a five minute drive away from us.

Reflecting back, I love the idea of drinks and apps at a nice restaurant followed by ordering take out pizza to eat at home.
No heat here. Nice!

Reaction Score
View attachment 72308 Has anyone tried the pizza from Atticus Market in New Haven? They don’t make pizza every day and I think they only sell 50 pies when they do. An acquaintance told me he had a spectacular pie from Atticus. Lots of chatter in CT pizza circles about them. I pulled this pic from their website….
I still hate the “get it before it sells out , limited time” you can get angelo‘s & patsys in nyc anytime and it’s some of the best

Reaction Score
I still hate the “get it before it sells out , limited time” you can get angelo‘s & patsys in nyc anytime and it’s some of the best
Some places like to have the best freshest ingredients made that day and don’t have the kitchen and cooler space

Bufalina is the same and one of the best pizza in any state anywhere once they’re out for the day they are out

Reaction Score
I just tried Good Old Days Pizza in Newtown; fantastic! If you are down this way give it a try. Another great pizza is from The Hub in Naugatuck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Some places like to have the best freshest ingredients made that day and don’t have the kitchen and cooler space

Bufalina is the same and one of the best pizza in any state anywhere once they’re out for the day they are out
Great point, and I would add that some places—like Bufalina—simply don’t have the manpower to produce any more than they can produce. A big part of the reason why they are so good at what they do Is that Matt and Melissa are making 99% of the pies. But to your point, they also couldn’t fit another person in that space.

Reaction Score

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Here is my hybrid Pepe's / Sally's clam pizza made in my Koda. Brings me back to my Wooster St favorite pizza haunts.
IMG_20220123_213212.png

Reaction Score
@8893 can you fly directly into Telluride or have to fly into Denver/ Phoenix or something and drive into it? Went once in the summer a few years back. Was a beautiful place, expensive, but very pretty.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 can you fly directly into Telluride or have to fly into Denver/ Phoenix or something and drive into it? Went once in the summer a few years back. Was a beautiful place, expensive, but very pretty.
Yeah this was my second time there and I think it's one of the most visually stunning and majestic places I've ever seen. The Epic pass includes up to seven days at Tellluride, and I got it on sale several months ago for around $700, so that alone was a huge savings: the five days I skied last week would have cost me $1,000 otherwise, and I still have unlimited skiing at Mt. Snow, Stowe, Sunapee, etc.

In theory you can fly directly into Telluride but very few flights do, and once you see the runway you won't want to. If the wind is more than 20 knots they will not land there. It's a very short strip surrounded by mountains with a sheer wall at the end of it (with some kind of foam or something in front of it so that you don't catch on fire and die if the plane runs off the end...).

Montrose is the closest regional airport and it's around an hour and 40 minutes away. Most flights connect to there from Denver, DFW or Atlanta, but there is one direct flight between Newark and Montrose every Saturday and Sunday. That's what we took because I didn't want to deal with changing flights and the increased risk of losing luggage. Last time I went I flew through Denver and connected from there to Montrose. There are two main transportation companies that provide service between Montrose and Telluride: Telluride Express and Mountain Limo. I've used both and they are both fine; around $55 to $80 per person before tip, depending on how many people and what type of vehicle, etc.

Reaction Score
Yeah this was my second time there and I think it's one of the most visually stunning and majestic places I've ever seen. The Epic pass includes up to seven days at Tellluride, and I got it on sale several months ago for around $700, so that alone was a huge savings: the five days I skied last week would have cost me $1,000 otherwise, and I still have unlimited skiing at Mt. Snow, Stowe, Sunapee, etc.

In theory you can fly directly into Telluride but very few flights do, and once you see the runway you won't want to. If the wind is more than 20 knots they will not land there. It's a very short strip surrounded by mountains with a sheer wall at the end of it (with some kind of foam or something in front of it so that you don't catch on fire and die if the plane runs off the end...).

Montrose is the closest regional airport and it's around an hour and 40 minutes away. Most flights connect to there from Denver, DFW or Atlanta, but there is one direct flight between Newark and Montrose every Saturday and Sunday. That's what we took because I didn't want to deal with changing flights and the increased risk of losing luggage. Last time I went I flew through Denver and connected from there to Montrose. There are two main transportation companies that provide service between Montrose and Telluride: Telluride Express and Mountain Limo. I've used both and they are both fine; around $55 to $80 per person before tip, depending on how many people and what type of vehicle, etc.

That's great! How was the snow out there? I might try and get out to Salt Lake while my friend is still living there. It's way easier to get into the mountains than in CO fighting on I-70. I ended up getting the indy pass this year. I try and hit up Catamount a handful of times and do a few Magic days. If you go for a week long trip out west its an absolute no brainer to get an Epic or Ikon or live out there. However some of the photos i've seen of some of the mountains on the East Coast like Sunapee yesterday, the lines are insane. They'll have to figure out a reservation system or something. Vail did a great marketing job selling the season passes but unfortunately the weekends are a nightmare at a lot of the resorts on the weekends.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's great! How was the snow out there? I might try and get out to Salt Lake while my friend is still living there. It's way easier to get into the mountains than in CO fighting on I-70. I ended up getting the indy pass this year. I try and hit up Catamount a handful of times and do a few Magic days. If you go for a week long trip out west its an absolute no brainer to get an Epic or Ikon or live out there. However some of the photos i've seen of some of the mountains on the East Coast like Sunapee yesterday, the lines are insane. They'll have to figure out a reservation system or something. Vail did a great marketing job selling the season passes but unfortunately the weekends are a nightmare at a lot of the resorts on the weekends.
Unfortunately there was no fresh snow until a few inches on Friday morning, but the mountain was in pretty impressive condition nonetheless. And every day other than Friday was a bluebird day so no complaints here. They got some good snow right before and after Christmas that must have given them a decent base, and I had no idea how extensive their snowmaking and grooming operations were. There is so much terrain that we had no problem finding sweet spots every day, and we skied straight into the chairs with no lines 99% of the time so we typically skied around four to five hours between 10 am and 3 pm, with a nice lunch, and averaged around 15 to 17 runs a day. And good-sized runs at that. We could walk from our condo to both the chairlift and town, so no car needed at all. Very chill scene. Remarkably attitude-free, especially as compared with the likes of Vail and Aspen.

Reaction Score

My family used to rent a house with another family right in town in Telluride when I was a little kid, it was a totally different place back then. I would never be able to recognize it today. It was a sleepy little mining/ghost town with an amazing ski mountain, it was still Colorado's little secret. My dad's friend wanted to go in with my dad on buying property there. He wound up buying solo because my dad thought it was a crazy idea. Looking back that was a horrible decision but the place was so hard to get to (we flew into Grand Junction back then) and he wasn't looking at it as an investment, had no idea it would become arguably the most exclusive mountain town in the West.

The place is incredible and where I learned to ski, glad you loved it.

Reaction Score
More Atticus hype from CTbites. Now I really need to find myself in New Haven on a Thursday evening…..

Reaction Score
@8893 Do you remember trail names? I'm wondering if they have any of the same names. Spiral Stairs was a double black mogul run with K2 next to it, The Chute or the Plunge can't remember, it was off the map. See Forever was a long blue with great views. Ajax Alley, Silverado.

There was an older kid we all knew and my older brothers hung out with who was a much better skier than everyone else, he went by Rocket. Years later I'm going through my friend's snowboarding magazine and I see the name Rocket Reeves. Turns out he's the same guy and became kind of legendary in the snowboarding world.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 Do you remember trail names? I'm wondering if they have any of the same names. Spiral Stairs was a double black mogul run with K2 next to it, The Chute or the Plunge can't remember, it was off the map. See Forever was a long blue with great views. Ajax Alley, Silverado.

There was an older kid we all knew and my older brothers hung out with who was a much better skier than everyone else, he went by Rocket. Years later I'm going through my friend's snowboarding magazine and I see the name Rocket Reeves. Turns out he's the same guy and became kind of legendary in the snowboarding world.
Spiral Stairs is still there; right next to Plunge. My tracker says I skied them both but I thought I only skied Plunge, Bushwhacker and See Forever/Look Out off the Plunge Chair (Lift 9). Loved all of those; great, long runs with steep pitches and incredible views.

There are lots of trails with ”chute” in the name but I don’t recall one just called “The Chute.” Likewise, lots of names with “silver,” but I don’t recall “Silverado.” Silvercloud off Revelation Bowl was quite a thrill though.

There is an Allais Alley and an Apex, but I don’t remember Ajax Alley. Nor K2 that I recall.

Saw lots of amazing skiers there, and fewer snowboarders than at most mountains these days, which was good with me. I don’t like skiing around a lot of snowboarders. Their moves are less predictable and they usually take up a lot more of the mountain (and push a lot more snow off it). And they lie down everywhere. Love watching them compete at the highest levels though.

Reaction Score
Went to Modern Pizza a couple of weeks ago and ordered the white clam. Was terrible!!! The crust and clams were good but the cheese was too thick and gooey for my liking.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went to Modern Pizza a couple of weeks ago and ordered the white clam. Was terrible!!! The crust and clams were good but the cheese was too thick and gooey for my liking.
Traditionally white clam has no mozz; only parm. I never get clam pies at Modern though because they don’t use fresh clams.

My standing order for Modern pies always includes ”well done, light mozz,” because I have found them too heavy on the cheese for my tastes.

Reaction Score
Agree, Too much cheese with a mild topping just obstructs something such as claim taste. Hey pepronskiy Pizza can handle it.

Reaction Score
When I was in my teens my Dad owned a pizza parlor in Danbury. To this day I've never had any other pizza than what my mother makes, or what I make. Dad isn't around any longer. My Mom makes an incredible clam pizza, and in the summer she does it out on the grill. She has perfected that technique. One year she had the family over and made 20 pizzas with different toppings. Not one leftover. Maybe I'll make pizza this weekend... :D

Reaction Score
Anyone a fan of that so called Hawaiian pizza? We hear on this coast are not even smart enough to make Hawiian pizza correctly. Here places used to use ham on the so called Hawaiian pizza. The proper way is to use “”Spam”. Personally I think that Hawaiian pizza is a travesty and should be outlawed. But………………. Opinions are like #&(($* everyone has a right to one.
Well, to be fair, there isn’t much Pepronskiy Liza can’t handle.
ha ha that’s an inadvertent double entendre but yeh you are absolutely correct Liza is one hell of a girl she can handle it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone a fan of that so called Hawaiian pizza? We hear on this coast are not even smart enough to make Hawiian pizza correctly. Here places used to use ham on the so called Hawaiian pizza. The proper way is to use “”Spam”. Personally I think that Hawaiian pizza is a travesty and should be outlawed. But………………. Opinions are like #&(($* everyone has a right to one.
I’m a fan of Hawaiian pizza, with jalapeños or cherry peppers. I like the “heat and sweet” effect of the peppers and pineapple, and the ham/bacon/Spam/Canadian bacon (my preference) adds some nice smoke/umami.

Certainly not a traditional pie; but, like salad pie, I only care about the taste. And when they are done well, they taste good to me.

Reaction Score
I’m a fan of Hawaiian pizza, with jalapeños or cherry peppers. I like the “heat and sweet” effect of the peppers and pineapple, and the ham/bacon/Spam/Canadian bacon (my preference) adds some nice smoke/umami.

Certainly not a traditional pie; but, like salad pie, I only care about the taste. And when they are done well, they taste good to me.
A few years back, a food truck at one of Central CT breweries was making a grilled peaches and bacon pie. REALLY good. I wish I could remember the food truck name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom