OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 200 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yeah, “pie” as a way to describe a pizza is almost as old as American pizza itself. There are a few good write ups on the origins of it: Why Is Pizza Called Pie? All About The Other Name For Pizza - Crust Kingdom

But in short, Italian immigrants were referring to “tomato pies” over 100 years ago. My great grandparents, who were both born in New Haven in 1916 called them that since they were born. Their parents arrived there a few years before that from Italy, not sure if they would have used the word since English wasn’t their native language.

‘Za, on the other hand, is a ridiculous term that best describes pizza acquired from a mall food court.
outstanding post, til the 'harshin on the za' part. 'galoshes' and 'knickers' aren't too common anymore, or 'wooing and courting' either. in kali, sometimes they call it 'knocking boots.'
i hope that these comments do not make me seem old school 'ludibrious.' lol.
Definition: Adj.—”Apt to be a subject of jest or mockery”
Usage: Joan’s classmates found her ludibrious because of her cassette tape collection.

they should have a 'half like' button here.

Reaction Score
Some love for Mikey Nuzzo here; I rate it just a notch below the Big Three, but these guys have them at the top:

Lately they’ve been way too inconsistent but when they are on they can make a good pizza.

Reaction Score
I'm old enough and I've never heard anyone order or even refer to pizza as za. Abeetz yes za no way.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say it seriously before. Ben in Parks and Rec refers to ‘za when trying to be cool with his interns. That was the last time I heard it said.

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say it seriously before. Ben in Parks and Rec refers to ‘za when trying to be cool with his interns. That was the last time I heard it said.
haha forgot about P&R

Reaction Score
I think 'za was started by Millenials because they thought it sounded cool and they were too lazy to pronounce 5 letters. :)

Reaction Score
I remember people calling it za in the late 80s in central PA, so it’s definitely not a “new” thing. I have called it pie my whole life.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Some love for Mikey Nuzzo here; I rate it just a notch below the Big Three, but these guys have them at the top:

Nice! My brothers and I delivered the newspaper to the Nuzzo family when we were growing up in Fair Haven. Genuinely nice people. And Mikey is right, there were good pies being made all around New Haven back in the day... not just the big three. I regret not having my Grand Apizza ball cap from when I played for them in Dom Atro... we'd head down to Grand Avenue after a game and get free apizza! Nice to see the family keeping the business alive.

Reaction Score
Nice! My brothers and I delivered the newspaper to the Nuzzo family when we were growing up in Fair Haven. Genuinely nice people. And Mikey is right, there were good pies being made all around New Haven back in the day... not just the big three. I regret not having my Grand Apizza ball cap from when I played for them in Dom Atro... we'd head down to Grand Avenue after a game and get free apizza! Nice to see the family keeping the business alive.
It wasn't until later that I tried Grand. When younger we'd go to Palm Beach

Curiouser
Reaction Score

They have a few West Haven reviews and discussions also; they talk too much imo but fwiw they rate Zupp’s the best in West Haven, just above Mike’s, where they say they prefer the non-pizza items.

They also have reviews of Tipsy Tomato in Derby, Olde Word and Michelina in North Haven and Papa’s in Milford but I haven’t watched them yet.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hot off the press (and from the link above, thanks), Mikey Abitz and The Mona of Pizza!
respect!

check out his hand signs review at the end for 'new york, chicago, and detroit' pizza. :p

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Count me in as one of those who thought apizza = pie. I learned something.

Still trying to understand the connection to the pies we always eat at Easter.
Excuse my phonetic spelling, but apizza gran and apizza gain were staples for Easter. So, I thought a pizza = pie.
Ham and grain pie. Very much traditional pie looks. Ham pie is also called pizza rustica.
Anyone have insight here?

Reaction Score
Count me in as one of those who thought apizza = pie. I learned something.

Still trying to understand the connection to the pies we always eat at Easter.
Excuse my phonetic spelling, but apizza gran and apizza gain were staples for Easter. So, I thought a pizza = pie.
Ham and grain pie. Very much traditional pie looks. Ham pie is also called pizza rustica.
Anyone have insight here?
Easier read if you convert to “readers view”... (I had this bookmarked):

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks husky medic. In my world the ham pie was like a giant quiche and the grain pie was dessert

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've only heard pizza be referred to as pie when I moved down here. I always thought Dean Martin did it in the song because he needed meter and rhyme.

I think it's redundant. A pizza is a pizza.

Reaction Score
They have a few West Haven reviews and discussions also; they talk too much imo but fwiw they rate Zupp’s the best in West Haven, just above Mike’s, where they say they prefer the non-pizza items.

They also have reviews of Tipsy Tomato in Derby, Olde Word and Michelina in North Haven and Papa’s in Milford but I haven’t watched them yet.

I have been to Mike's and Ernie's with Frank Zabski. His favorite West Haven pizza is Mike's, followed by Zuppardi's.

Reaction Score

Olde world is legit. Best pie in north haven

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I had Renapoli out of Old Greenwich last night. Very underwhelming for the "5 time world champion" Probably crowned by an organization like a small time pro wrestling promotion

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I had Renapoli out of Old Greenwich last night. Very underwhelming for the "5 time world champion" Probably crowned by an organization like a small time pro wrestling promotion
I can't speak to Renapoli, but generally speaking, awards for winning pizza competitions should be viewed with skepticism. A number of categories where one can "win" have nothing to do with pizza quality (e.g. dough spinning, where winners usually use special dough for spinning, not for making an actual pizza). Often winning pizzas themselves are not found on regular menus, or are made differently in store than at the competition. We have a local chain that's won many awards (including one for "dough stretching"?!) It bakes its pizzas in a conveyor oven, which is clue #1 that the pizza will suck. The pies are mediocre to bad, but there are trophies galore in the ads and photos on the walls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom