OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 130 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Zupps deserves a high score than 8.2 IMO. He should definitely visit Roseland their pizza is right up his alley.

They got a bumped up to 8.6 after he tasted the sausage pizza. 8.2 for cheese > 8.6 for sausage.

Reaction Score
How was the sag factor?

The Rabe and Sausage comes white but I ordered it red last week and it was very good—except for that sag that plaqued all the pies I’ve had there,red or white. I wanted the spicy meatball, too, but we had to choose between that and the rabe and sausage and the latter won out.
Rabe and sausage, red? Egads.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That Pittsburgh poster on here isn't going to like this.

I don't care that he does this. I just laugh at people who think his opinion matters.

Make your own choices, people. Think for yourself, not what social media tells you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
C’mon... you weren’t rooting for him to catch the whole pizza in the kisser/white sweatshirt?

I was waiting for it to hit the sidewalk cheese-side down.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
see you got that 1/2 right. You properly replaced the c with the g on manigott...... why wouldnt you follow the same rule on rigott?

my understanding is the "Italian" spoken around New Haven is all pigeon Italian based on the dialect spoken in Naples a hundred years ago twisted by time and Americanized. In real Italian, for instance, the vowels are pronounced at the end of the word unlike ahbeets, ricott, gabbagool, svoyadell, manicott, lasagn, etc.
Italy has only been a country a very short while when the wave of immigrants came. People from the different city- states sometimes couldn't understand each other.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Farina on Route 80 in Guilford? Someone was raving to me about it yesterday, claiming very it has very good New Haven style apizza, as well as good pasta and other entrees. I've never heard anything else about it before, despite driving by it often.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Farina on Route 80 in Guilford? Someone was raving to me about it yesterday, claiming very it has very good New Haven style apizza, as well as good pasta and other entrees. I've never heard anything else about it before, despite driving by it often.

Dont you drive by Bobby's?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Principle be damned, I hit Bobby’s Apizza in North Branford tonight. They are takeout only and the place was buzzing. Solid pies. B+ and right there with the best of the next level pies that are just below the big three.

We got four smalls; three red and one white. The red pie with sausage was my clear favorite. Longhini sausage in huge chunks with no casing. Awesome.

All of the pies had light cheese without me asking, which I liked. Too many places use too much cheese imo.

Eggplant with artichoke was also very good, but different. When I ordered it I asked if the eggplant was breaded and fried, because that’s how I like it. The woman who answered said “Let me check” and then said yes. I was bummed when I got home to see that it wasn’t, but looked more like ratatouille instead. I was then pleasantly surprised to discover that it was more like the eggplant prepared with olive oil and garlic that they sell at Sapori d’Italia in Hamden. It was a bit soupy, but awesome nonetheless.

The broccoli rabe and sausage white pie was very good, but the white sauce was not as special as advertised. The wild card was a red pie with pineapple, ham and Italian hot cherry peppers, which was great as well.

Minor complaint that, although the pies were nicely browned on top, there was no char at all to the crust. If I order again I might ask for it well done. They were better reheated at 425 degrees. Nice cornmeal and texture though. Would definitely get pies there again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Principle be damned, I hit Bobby’s Apizza in North Branford tonight. They are takeout only and the place was buzzing. Solid pies. B+ and right there with the best of the next level pies that are just below the big three.

We got four smalls; three red and one white. The red pie with sausage was my clear favorite. Longhini sausage in huge chunks with no casing. Awesome.

All of the pies had light cheese without me asking, which I liked. Too many places use too much cheese imo.

Eggplant with artichoke was also very good, but different. When I ordered it I asked if the eggplant was breaded and fried, because that’s how I like it. The woman who answered said “Let me check” and then said yes. I was bummed when I got home to see that it wasn’t, but looked more like ratatouille instead. I was then pleasantly surprised to discover that it was more like the eggplant prepared with olive oil and garlic that they sell at Sapori d’Italia in Hamden. It was a bit soupy, but awesome nonetheless.

The broccoli rabe and sausage white pie was very good, but the white sauce was not as special as advertised. The wild card was a red pie with pineapple, ham and Italian hot cherry peppers, which was great as well.

Minor complaint that, although the pies were nicely browned on top, there was no char at all to the crust. If I order again I might ask for it well done. They were better reheated at 425 degrees. Nice cornmeal and texture though. Would definitely get pies there again.
You lost me at too much cheese.

Reaction Score
I was then pleasantly surprised to discover that it was more like the eggplant prepared with olive oil and garlic that they sell at Sapori d’Italia in Hamden

Their eggplant pizzaiola is the bomb. Give me a container of that and some (relative term) of their oval bread slices for dunking and I’d die happy!

Makes a great bruschetta topping and nice addition to a plate of the tomato/garlic/onion/parsley bruschetta as well.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
saw this America's 56 greatest old-school pizzerias many usual suspects depicted. saw some za from that colony place some here regularly extoll. while the proof is in the pudding, I have to say the pic is unimpressive, kinda like that generic nyc slice shop hawkin' 2 buck chuck, ie, proally ok, but not remarkable. i'll go there, with no preconceptions either way, soon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Their eggplant pizzaiola is the bomb. Give me a container of that and some (relative term) of their oval bread slices for dunking and I’d die happy!

Makes a great bruschetta topping and nice addition to a plate of the tomato/garlic/onion/parsley bruschetta as well.
Yeah, friends of ours turned us on to the Sapori d'Italia eggplant pizzaiola several years ago when they brought it to our annual Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party. Now they are required to bring it every year; we use half for bruschetta apps and half as a topping for one of the pizzas at the end, after everyone has tapped out on the various Thanksgiving leftover combos. The stuff is amazing. The eggplant at Bobby's was similar but not quite as intense/concentrated. Like I said, somewhat soupy but very tasty. I'll be interested to see how it does reheated today with the rest of the leftovers.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Always trust content from ADub ;-)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom