OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 111 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Its not really better than Bufalina. I just like playing with my buddy 8893.

Its very good Classic style Pizza though. Not disappointing at all. Eat it there if you can. You will feel like you are back in the early 70's (or if you arent old enough to remember the 70's , well, thats what it was like)
lol not quite old enough. But there are enough places around here that still look that way that I know the deal.

There was a place in New Haven call Abeetz, that was designed like a 70s pizza parlor, faux wood panels and all. Got shuttered after liquor violation. But wanted to be a fast-casual chain that didn't pan out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone have a weird favorite pizza they custom order? Curious to hear what kind of different things people like.

For me, it's Pepe's white, broccoli, grated cheese only, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano. Well done crust. (basically the traditional white clam with a broccoli sub for the clams).

Other personal favorite is margherita with sausage and a lot of basil.

Once upon a time the BAR mashed potato and bacon pie was deemed weird, but now it's a thing.

At Harry's we used to order shrimp and bacon with jalapenos, or Hawaiian (Canadian bacon and pineapple) with jalapenos. Loved both of those but haven't found another place to make them reliably.

At the urging of my brother I tried the American cheese pizza at Modern and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I think I got it with meatball; but the American cheese takes on a whole different texture in those ovens.
There was a place in New Haven call Abeetz, that was designed like a 70s pizza parlor, faux wood panels and all. Got shuttered after liquor violation. But wanted to be a fast-casual chain that didn't pan out.
That place was a terrible concept on so many levels. The liquor violation was like a mercy killing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Anyone have a weird favorite pizza they custom order? Curious to hear what kind of different things people like.

For me, it's Pepe's white, broccoli, grated cheese only, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano. Well done crust. (basically the traditional white clam with a broccoli sub for the clams).

White Pizza. Broccoli Rabe , Sausage, garlic crushed red pepper.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

This is what this thread should morph towards. How many more posts/pages are needed to sing the praises of the New Haven Four?

It is not exactly a custom order everywhere, but I like Monterrey Chicken for a change of pace.

It's a white pizza with chicken, bacon, sauteed onion, and gorgonzola. Both Giovanni's in Glastonbury and NY Family in Groton sell it by the slice. Fireside Brick Oven Creations (Gales Ferry) and The Plum Tomato (Salem and Colchester) have a sandwich version.

The go-to at Rossini's is a red pizza, so I don't know if they have a version and It's not important enough for me to look at a menu at the moment.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
White Pizza. Broccoli Rabe , Sausage, garlic crushed red pepper.

Solid choice. Has to pretty much reek of garlic for me. Very few places around me offer rapini (luckily two legit places I frequent do) and wife hates it so it's a rare treat. I also do like a red sauce eggplant with ricotta, which is also only available in a couple of places.

Bobby's Apizza in North Branford better though.

That "specialty pizza" section makes me weep for humanity though.

August_West

Reaction Score
Solid choice. Has to pretty much reek of garlic for me. Very few places around me offer rapini (luckily two legit places I frequent do) and wife hates it so it's a rare treat. I also do like a red sauce eggplant with ricotta, which is also only available in a couple of places.

That "specialty pizza" section makes me weep for humanity though.

Haven’t looked.

But If that makes you weep I’m surprised you haven’t put a shotgun in your mouth after a trip to Betos

August_West

Reaction Score
I installed the one bite app.

I had it for 10 minutes. The randos are even worse than the barstool guy.

It legitimately made me angry.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Haven’t looked.

But If that makes you weep I’m surprised you haven’t put a shotgun in your mouth after a trip to Betos

For a good marriage, sometimes one has to sacrifice themselves for their spouse's amusement.

Besides, Beto's pretty much only has "classic" toppings, or did when I went there a decade ago. I've actually had worse pizza, although Beto's is probably fourth or fifth on that list.

August_West

Reaction Score
For a good marriage, sometimes one has to sacrifice themselves for their spouse's amusement.

Besides, Beto's pretty much only has "classic" toppings, or did when I went there a decade ago. I've actually had worse pizza, although Beto's is probably fourth or fifth on that list.

Dude.
I hate you for even bringing a picture like this into my life. Its offensive. I will never be able to unsee it. It will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Its the Pizza thread equivalent of getting Rick Rolled.

DSC07657-600x338-600x338.jpg

Reaction Score
I installed the one bite app.

I had it for 10 minutes. The randos are even worse than the barstool guy.

It legitimately made me angry.

Right. Because you talking about a pork belly sandwich from Arby's is so much better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Once upon a time the BAR mashed potato and bacon pie was deemed weird, but now it's a thing.

At Harry's we used to order shrimp and bacon with jalapenos, or Hawaiian (Canadian bacon and pineapple) with jalapenos. Loved both of those but haven't found another place to make them reliably.

At the urging of my brother I tried the American cheese pizza at Modern and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I think I got it with meatball; but the American cheese takes on a whole different texture in those ovens.
Forgot to mention our most frequent combo: red pie with artichoke hearts and eggplant. If ordering from Modern I also specify “well done, light mozz.”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Dude.
I hate you for even bringing a picture like this into my life. Its offensive. I will never be able to unsee it. It will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Its the Pizza thread equivalent of getting Rick Rolled.

DSC07657-600x338-600x338.jpg

I needed that laugh. Been a rough day. Watched the contrast of what statesmanship was vs what it's become all morning then learned I didn't get selected for 2nd interview for a job I wanted and thought I aced the 1st interview. I'm sure it's age-related. So thanks for that.

And I couldn't help but notice that you're making everyone else in the thread look at that photo too :)

But if you're ever in town, I can take you to someplace worse. It's a place that was recommended in r/pittsburgh pizza threads. And it's the only time in my life I picked up a pizza, took a bite, then called another pizza place and threw that one in the trash.

August_West

Reaction Score
And I couldn't help but notice that you're making everyone else in the thread look at that photo too :)

Why should I suffer alone?

sorry about your job.

Reaction Score
Don't go insulting Bufalina like that! (I haven't been to Bobby's) ;)

Coal and Daisies was pretty good in Branford, loud/crowded, bar atmosphere. But the pizza was quality.

That place won't last a year. Already bouncing checks. Bad location doesn't help but I'll agree pizza there is solid

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But if you're ever in town, I can take you to someplace worse. It's a place that was recommended in r/pittsburgh pizza threads. And it's the only time in my life I picked up a pizza, took a bite, then called another pizza place and threw that one in the trash.
That makes me long for the days when payphones were everywhere. Call another place (Works best if it's a chain) from the subpar "local flare" parlor, with whomever made that monstrosity within earshot.

Perfecting the science of pizza is an art. Why make it more difficult by throwing up roadblocks on yourself?

Reaction Score
Riverside Pizza in Thompson CT is excellent. Its not the best, and I have nothing else to say. I've just never posted in this thread and wanted to get one in.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
9.2 w/ Language Alert

Growing up in New Haven, I always preferred Sally's over Pepe's... even though I played for the Grand Apizza team in Little League. So, I'm happy with the ranking. This clown, though, can't say New Haven, can't say Wooster Street, and apparently never heard of the word "Apizza"...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
9.2 w/ Language Alert

He’s a quick learner, I’ll give him that. I agree with the order in which he has rated the Big Three; and I give him props for recognizing that it is nitpicking to distinguish among them.

I’m curious to see what his BAR apizza looked like. I’ve never done takeout from there and would never consider it. And they always cut them differently. My guess is that he rated it low 80s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom