OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 28 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm not huge on artisan pizza,but this sounds to good to pass up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know how Petrillo's stays in business either. I guess some people like bad pizza. But Village was the worst.
Hadn't been to Portofino's in a few years so I missed the decline. Too bad. I liked them (and the Yankee pics on the wall)
That's the way I feel about Main Street Pizza in East Hampton, especially since Rossini's is right down the street. The only redeeming quality to Main Street is that they deliver, but East Hampton is about 6 square miles, including 1 for the lake. Even then it's not an excuse. Three Brother Pizza delivers to East Hampton from Marlborough. IMO, Main Street is kept in business by the lazy with no taste buds and a penchant for grease.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is sad. One of my best friends have LWNTB (lazy with no taste buds). It is always depressing when we play cards at his house and he buys pizza. Flavor is a terrible thing to waste.

Reaction Score
Just had the Seafood Diavollo white pizza at Joey Garlic's in Berlin. Thumbs up!!!! Soooo good

Reaction Score
Going to a wedding next week in Shelton. Trying to talk my wife into dinner from Pepe's or even Roseland; but, she's does not believe in char on her pizza crust? Anyone want a spare wife? LOL.

Reaction Score
I just had Little Caesar's in California (for free). I mentally called it pepperoni covered cheesy bread, since pretending it was pizza would have been too disillusioning.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Anddd we've resurrected the sleeping giant.

I had Pepe's in Fairfield the other week - big let down from a usually good Pepe's pie even from the Fairfield location. Just had Colony Grill in Fairfield this weekend - not a fan though. Too greasy for me.

Reaction Score
1795551_10152037426586785_1149675031_n.jpg

How about some Lena's Pizza love for a fellow yarder.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
View attachment 7071

I hate you. I added an inch to my waist looking at those. Put that picture in your ad.

Here's some links to your pub and pizzeria for the Ct Boneyarders to check out. I'm in SC so take out not an option. You might consider a special promo for Boneyarders during the season. There's a built in clientele in this thread.

http://sullyspub.com

http://sullyspub.com/menus.php

Reaction Score
View attachment 7071

Love Lena's and have since some of my friends going to CCSU introduced me to it a looong time ago. They have the best calzones I've had in this state. I used to get some on my way back up to school in greater Boston (pizza wasteland) and then again later when I lived in the same area.

Reaction Score
Had Pepe's in Fairfield last year and thought it was very average, went to Pepe's on Wooster a month ago and my faith in Pepe's was restored, it was an unbelievably good pie.

Reaction Score
Had Pepe's New Haven Friday. Average at best. Everyone likes their pie different I guess.

Reaction Score
View attachment 7071

Many a day, I sat at my desk in a pizza coma from some Lena's meat stuffed pie.

(I saw you have GF crusts now....I have to bring in Lil Miss Deepster for a test run soon. She's been eating lunch with Lil Miss Sully so far this year.)

Reaction Score
My father inlaw told me Wolcott Pizza is really good. Is he right?

Reaction Score
I hate you. I added an inch to my waist looking at those. Put that picture in your ad.

Here's some links to your pub and pizzeria for the Ct Boneyarders to check out. I'm in SC so take out not an option. You might consider a special promo for Boneyarders during the season. There's a built in clientele in this thread.

http://sullyspub.com

http://sullyspub.com/menus.php

Lena's is a great place to stop on the way to XL Center games. We swing by before a few games every year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After Thursday night's City Wide Open Studios pre-opening at Artspace, we swung by Sally's to see if there was a weeknight crowd. Our plan B would have been Bar, both of which we've been to but before meeting each other. Walked in & got immediately placed at a booth next to the low-grinding ventilation shaft near the rear. We moved one booth away as the next couple was being seated:good call. We ordered 2 small pies, plain tomato & bacon w/cheese, and set about reviewing the CWOS schedule. For this, we sat side-by-side and I noticed whenever I looked up that everything looked pretty much like it did when I lived in New Haven 35 years ago (including things even older). I imagined that any possible subsequent remodeling wouldn't be in any better taste and went back to the schedule, thereafter completely uncaring how long it took for the pizza to arrive. It was long enough for me to go to the bathroom - still yellow tiles, still double doors, still grateful that I and not she had to use the facilities.

The pizza? Excellent flaivor that elicited involuntary yum grunts w/each bite. 3 leftover slices were delicious out of the toaster oven for breakfast the next day. Next time I can leave off the light girl c added to the tomato pie. It was the waiter's suggestion and unnecessarily coveted w/the sweet sauce. Total winner, as has often been the case.

The experience: fully workable, especially with a friendly waiter, a distracting joint project, and the right company. Perhaps still too iffy for showing up with more than a single trusted other, but no matter that night. Modern therefore remains our 'reliable' choice, but we will definitely return to Sally's. I wanted to go back the next day but was fasting.

We'll next go to Bar, and then explore the various shoreline recommendations in this thread, having already made a pretty good arc from Fairfield, Derby, Cheshire, Branford so far. As for Pepe's it really is true that the original exceeds Ffld, Mohegan Sun & The Spot, and that's without my yet having a crunchy, jaw-workout-chewy pie that matches up with the best of my across-the-decades memory since returning to the Elm City, which by the way, is (especially when drawing & including successive rings from its center...and why not?) much superior to Lexington, KY, an otherwise lovely & liveable Mountain South city that, yes, does have quite more to offer than Storrs/Mansfield.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
After Thursday night's City Wide Open Studios pre-opening at Artspace, we swung by Sally's to see if there was a weeknight crowd. Our plan B would have been Bar, both of which we've been to but before meeting each other. Walked in & got immediately placed at a booth next to the low-grinding ventilation shaft near the rear. We moved one booth away as the next couple was being seated:good call. We ordered 2 small pies, plain tomato & bacon w/cheese, and set about reviewing the CWOS schedule. For this, we sat side-by-side and I noticed whenever I looked up that everything looked pretty much like it did when I lived in New Haven 35 years ago (including things even older). I imagined that any possible subsequent remodeling wouldn't be in any better taste and went back to the schedule, thereafter completely uncaring how long it took for the pizza to arrive. It was long enough for me to go to the bathroom - still yellow tiles, still double doors, still grateful that I and not she had to use the facilities.

The pizza? Excellent flaivor that elicited involuntary yum grunts w/each bite. 3 leftover slices were delicious out of the toaster oven for breakfast the next day. Next time I can leave off the light girl c added to the tomato pie. It was the waiter's suggestion and unnecessarily coveted w/the sweet sauce. Total winner, as has often been the case.

The experience: fully workable, especially with a friendly waiter, a distracting joint project, and the right company. Perhaps still too iffy for showing up with more than a single trusted other, but no matter that night. Modern therefore remains our 'reliable' choice, but we will definitely return to Sally's. I wanted to go back the next day but was fasting.

We'll next go to Bar, and then explore the various shoreline recommendations in this thread, having already made a pretty good arc from Fairfield, Derby, Cheshire, Branford so far. As for Pepe's it really is true that the original exceeds Ffld, Mohegan Sun & The Spot, and that's without my yet having a crunchy, jaw-workout-chewy pie that matches up with the best of my across-the-decades memory since returning to the Elm City, which by the way, is (especially when drawing & including successive rings from its center...and why not?) much superior to Lexington, KY, an otherwise lovely & liveable Mountain South city that, yes, does have quite more to offer than Storrs/Mansfield.
Like reading a piece of artwork! I think you need to copy and paste this into the Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other things thread. It belongs there as well.

Reaction Score
23 pages and nothing from southeastern CT so I need to put in my 2 cents. I was raised on greek-style pizza from the legendary Spiro's Great Oak Pizza and even though it closed years ago their meatball pizza is what I measure all other pizza against. I would eat pizza every day if I could, like I did when I was single. I prefer a simple pizza with red sauce and one topping (no anchovies, mushrooms, or fruit please). There are very few pizzas that aren't better than no pizza, but I definitely appreciate a quality pie. My current favorites are:

Fireside Brickoven Creations (Gales Ferry): Brick oven style. I'm generally not a big fan of thin-crust pizza, so I initially tried their Denali which has a double crust with sausage, pepperoni, and ricotta cheese. I was concerned because I'm not big on multiple toppings or odd cheeses but it immediately became my go-to pizza. I eventually tried their thin crust pizzas and they are also excellent.

Mr. G's Restaurant (New London): Greek-style. I love their red sauce. I usually get either a hamburg, meatball, or sausage pizza. It's a frequent stop for traveling sports teams since it's right off of Rt. 95 south after the Gold Star Bridge. Lots of photos of sports figures on the wall. UConn connection: Glen Miller would always bring his Brown University basketball team there whenever they played Connecticut College.

The Rolling Tomato (Groton): I don't go to their brick-and-mortar location, but I always grab a slice when I see their mobile brickoven at an event.

Other New London county options. These are all options when I can't get everyone to agree on Fireside and I'm not in the mood to drive 20 minutes to Mr. G's:

Golden Pizza (Preston): Greek-style.

Valentinos (Ledyard): Italian style thin crust.

7 Seas Pizza Restaurant (Groton): Greek-style.

Sadly, one of my sons' favorite pizza is a Dominos cheese pizza. If that wasn't bad enough, he gets it with no sauce. I'm not sure it's possible to make a worse pizza than that and I dread when my wife gives me his leftovers to take to work as lunch. I refuse to buy it for him unless we can get it on their M-Th take-out special for $8.50. It's not even worth that much so I'm definitely not spending more than that. I wish I knew where I went wrong with him.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
23 pages and nothing from southeastern CT so I need to put in my 2 cents. I was raised on greek-style pizza from the legendary Spiro's Great Oak Pizza and even though it closed years ago their meatball pizza is what I measure all other pizza against. I would eat pizza every day if I could, like I did when I was single. I prefer a simple pizza with red sauce and one topping (no anchovies, mushrooms, or fruit please). There are very few pizzas that aren't better than no pizza, but I definitely appreciate a quality pie. My current favorites are:

Fireside Brickoven Creations (Gales Ferry): Brick oven style. I'm generally not a big fan of thin-crust pizza, so I initially tried their Denali which has a double crust with sausage, pepperoni, and ricotta cheese. I was concerned because I'm not big on multiple toppings or odd cheeses but it immediately became my go-to pizza. I eventually tried their thin crust pizzas and they are also excellent.

Mr. G's Restaurant (New London): Greek-style. I love their red sauce. I usually get either a hamburg, meatball, or sausage pizza. It's a frequent stop for traveling sports teams since it's right off of Rt. 95 south after the Gold Star Bridge. Lots of photos of sports figures on the wall. UConn connection: Glen Miller would always bring his Brown University basketball team there whenever they played Connecticut College.

The Rolling Tomato (Groton): I don't go to their brick-and-mortar location, but I always grab a slice when I see their mobile brickoven at an event.

Other New London county options. These are all options when I can't get everyone to agree on Fireside and I'm not in the mood to drive 20 minutes to Mr. G's:

Golden Pizza (Preston): Greek-style.

Valentinos (Ledyard): Italian style thin crust.

7 Seas Pizza Restaurant (Groton): Greek-style.

Sadly, one of my sons' favorite pizza is a Dominos cheese pizza. If that wasn't bad enough, he gets it with no sauce. I'm not sure it's possible to make a worse pizza than that and I dread when my wife gives me his leftovers to take to work as lunch. I refuse to buy it for him unless we can get it on their M-Th take-out special for $8.50. It's not even worth that much so I'm definitely not spending more than that. I wish I knew where I went wrong with him.
Fireside was mentioned about 10 pages ago and 7 Seas no longer exists...at least not in the location across from the Sub base. New York Pizza in the Stop & Shop plaza on Rt. 12 is pretty good. I haven't been to the Rolling Tomato since it changed from the Plum Tomato. Valentinos is decent, but nothing beats Fireside in SE CT.

By virtue of Golden being Greek, it does not measure up.

Reaction Score
Wow, when did 7 Seas close? It's been a while since we went there but I drive by the place every day and never noticed it was closed. I have gotten the occasional square from New York Pizza and it was good, but I think there was a different pizza place there a while back that also sold squares that I seem to remember linking more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom