OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Man there is so many places to get a good hero, I mean grinder.

But another good pizza place is Joey Pizza in Simsbury.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Man there is so many places to get a good hero, I mean grinder.

But another good pizza place is Joey Pizza in Simsbury.
I was going to mention Joe Pizza in Avon and Simsbury, the red pizza with no mozz is a favorite. Other central CT favorite is Harrys Bishop corner (all varieties) and First and Last in Hartford (the one with sliced plum tomatoes and basil in summer). My kids like Park Lane in WH for greek style.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I was going to mention Joe Pizza in Avon and Simsbury, the red pizza with no mozz is a favorite. Other central CT favorite is Harrys Bishop corner (all varieties) and First and Last in Hartford (the one with sliced plum tomatoes and basil in summer). My kids like Park Lane in WH for greek style.

Was never a fan of Greek style. Well I might be bias the only Greek style I've had is People's Choice and that isn't very good.

H

Huskieforlife

I like Harrys in WH.​
And sorry CT for kind of stealing your idea :)

Reaction Score
Have had many great pies through the years but back in the day Jerry's pizza was really good. There was also a place called Rocco's Victory Rest. that had great pizza. My dad would always order it with "scamotes"(not the actuall spelling). Does anyone know if you can get this any more? A third spot was Three Corners. The most memorable pie I had in the last few years was a brocolli rabbe and sausage at a place called Mike's pizza in West Haven. It just seems that today even the good places are hit or miss.

Reaction Score
For greek pizza, my favorite by far is Jordan's in Norwalk. Fantastic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
For those outside of Conn., there should be a list of touted pizza places that locals love that won't hold a candle to new Haven-style pizza.

Ann Arbor--Cottage Pizza (blech!)
Buffalo--La Nova (yech!)
Boston--Bluestone Bistro (nice try!)

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
We could also discuss grinders. I assume Nutmeggers still call them grinders, but perhaps there was a "sub" infiltration from the south into Fairfield County.

Plus I grew up pronouncing the u in aunt and get heckled for it everywhere else.

Franklin Giant meatball or chicken cutlet (in the oven). There's no better Grinders in CT.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nuzzo's in Madison
I have been waiting for a Madison/Guilford submission. I am new to te area and we are locked in at Portofinos of North Madison. A consistently good pizza. I think the owner has a second restaurant in New Haven but I forget where he is. We tried Farina's in North Guilford but they were too inconsistent for us.

I heard The Red Tomato in Guilford was pretty good.

Reaction Score
Yup, ate lots of that stuff growing up. I wouldn't call it real pizza though. Was more of a snack food.

Any time someone moved or we had a card night, we got a sheet from Lantieri's. Simple but delicious. Giovanni's in Newington makes a VERY similar sheet.

Reaction Score
Franklin Giant meatball or chicken cutlet (in the oven). There's no better Grinders in CT.

I grew up in the South End and Franklin Giant's meatball grinder is not as good as it used to be. I'd recommend Steve's Place in Newington Center. I think it's better. Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
For greek pizza, my favorite by far is Jordan's in Norwalk. Fantastic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nice to see someone visit my hometown and hit up Jordan's on Wesport Ave.... Definitely a solid pizza... I like how they cut their pizza too.. Good for kids to handle...

One other historical spot in Norwalk would have to be the one and only Famous Pizza on N. Main St. If ever youre in the mood to spoil yourself with a nice greasy pizza that's the one to go to... It's definitely not something you can eat all the time, but if you're a true Norwalker, you know what I'm talking about.... Gotta go there once a year...

One other decent spot I enjoyed in Norwalk was East Ave. Pizza...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I grew up in the South End and Franklin Giant's meatball grinder is not as good as it used to be. I'd recommend Steve's Place in Newington Center. I think it's better. Just my two cents.
-Never tried Steve's although I live in Newington. Old habits die hard. I've been eating Franklin over 30 yrs, seems like the same owners, same recipe. Some of the same deli makers too. I also agree a sheet from Giovannis, with their sweet sauce is Great. Same can be said about San Remo, in Kensington.

Reaction Score
Little Rendezvous in Meriden is pretty good. Declined a bit when it switched owners a couple years back.

IMO Little Rendezvous still excellent. Only place in town I will get a pizza.

I also like Harry's in West Hartford Center(across from Blue Back Square).

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
IMO still excellent. Only place in town I will get a pizza.

I also like Harry's in West Hartford(across from Blue Back Square).

I have only been to Rendezvous once since it changed hands. Still very good?

Reaction Score
I have only been to Rendezvous once since it changed hands. Still very good?
Yeah still great. To me nothing has changed. The "new" owner is the guy who was making the pizzas before he bought it along with the former owner.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Yeah still great. To me nothing has changed. The "new" owner is the guy who was making the pizzas before he bought it along with the former owner.

Geez I might order a pizza for the football games tonight. Thanks for the info man

Reaction Score

Again last time I had it while visiting it was still real good, the sauce is still the same for sure and that's the key. It is as close as I can find to Verdolini's flavor!!!!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
love the big 3 from New Haven, they're all good. I prefer Pepe's because they're the only one that serves a fresh whole clam pizza, and it's my favorite pie in the world

Dominic & Vinny's from greater Waterbury is also very good, their sausage pie is the best such pie I ever had

think I'm going to try that place in derby that's getting a lot of love in this thread

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Any time someone moved or we had a card night, we got a sheet from Lantieri's. Simple but delicious. Giovanni's in Newington makes a VERY similar sheet.
Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a try next time I'm back. I was trying to describe Lantari's and the childhood memories associated with it and how much I would love to experience that again.

Reaction Score
If you like thick and sloppy, Pepe's is for you. I prefer Sally's because it is thin and crunchy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom