OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 222 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Went with a left field choice on Friday evening: Zucchini pie from Parlor in Wilton, CT. Zucchini-garlic confit, kale, cherry tomato, corn, pickled red onion, parsley and lemon.

Great "last few weeks of summer" pie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks for your salad recommendation.
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but the Salad Pizza at Abbot’s Pizza in Abbot Kinney (Venice Beach) is great. Nothing like apizza, but really good food, whatever you want to call it. They use bagel dough for their crust, and we got a salad pie with everything bagel crust.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Thanks for your salad recommendation.
ikr? no wonder we can't win a dang football game..... and i didn't see in that description any mention of scamozza. prolly replaced with chunky blue cheese dressing. and i wonder if the dough was that recent cauliflower hooey stuff.
overheard when the waitress took the order, 'will that be iceberg, romaine, kale, or radicchio on ur 'pie'?
confit? what's that, vegetable paste? lol.

Reaction Score
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but the Salad Pizza at Abbot’s Pizza in Abbot Kinney (Venice Beach) is great. Nothing like apizza, but really good food, whatever you want to call it. They use bagel dough for their crust, and we got a salad pie with everything bagel crust.

Big LA guy. Love living here. Cannot vouch for that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
floating around the net with 'confit and pizza' BY induced brain damage, i stumbled upon this, posted by 'bon appetit' just a few hours ago,
If I Have Kimchi In The Fridge, I Know I Have Dinner (msn.com)
errrrr, no to that, too. hey oprah! if ur veggie nightmare frozen pies are so wonderful, why do you still tip the scales at ......
and as to la and their veggie whatever, the ladies there don't even come close to being as, ummm, errr, uhh, slim as, for example, the ladies here in New London County. heck, this map has abondanza counties of slimmer ladies residing in, what looks like, the pizza belt! and i bet most order their pies with pepperoni, just like it says in the bible, or the tipitaka, or is it the world according to gorp, one of those, i forget which...my buddy is right when he says, 'welcome to the now, where everything that's worked perfectly forever needs fixing...'
Top 101 counties with the lowest average weight of females (city-data.com)

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Big LA guy. Love living here. Cannot vouch for that.
Have you tried it? I‘ve been there twice. That was the only repeat item on the second visit.

But I love all the ingredients of the salad and it’s something I eat regularly. The everything bagel crust is simply a delivery medium, and a mighty tasty and able one at that.

Reaction Score
Have you tried it? I‘ve been there twice. That was the only repeat item on the second visit.

But I love all the ingredients of the salad and it’s something I eat regularly. The everything bagel crust is simply a delivery medium, and a mighty tasty and able one at that.

never been to Abbott’s pizza. Will give it a shot the next time I’m in the neighborhood.

Reaction Score

Oddly enough I’m not a “salad” pizza fan but my friends place Doma in Branford he’s told me one of their best selling pies is the edgy veggie (sauce, mozzarella, fresh spinach, peppers, mushrooms, tomato, garlic, evoo)

another one that’s close to a salad pie and I’m really not a salmon fan at all but the smoke salmon arugula (smoke salmon, arugula, Prima Dolce Ricotta, red onion, capers, evoo ) is close to a salad pie/looks like one minus the salmon. And its pretty good

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Only salad pizza worth eating is Sal's on Mamaroneck Avenue in Larchmont. Sublime. coming from someone who's lived in NYC and is all about New Haven apizza

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Only salad pizza worth eating is Sal's on Mamaroneck Avenue in Larchmont. Sublime. coming from someone who's lived in NYC and is all about New Haven apizza
As someone who worked in Larchmont in the 80s and was a fairly regular Sal's customer, I find this news of them offering a salad pizza highly disturbing. I don't think you could've found a head of lettuce at Sal's back then.

I just find the concept incredibly stupid. Have a salad in a bowl with everything bagel croutons if you want. I can't imagine that would be any less tasty if you already like the ingredients. It's simply a dumb gimmick IMHO.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Oddly enough I’m not a “salad” pizza fan but my friends place Doma in Branford he’s told me one of their best selling pies is the edgy veggie (sauce, mozzarella, fresh spinach, peppers, mushrooms, tomato, garlic, evoo)

another one that’s close to a salad pie and I’m really not a salmon fan at all but the smoke salmon arugula (smoke salmon, arugula, Prima Dolce Ricotta, red onion, capers, evoo ) is close to a salad pie/looks like one minus the salmon. And its pretty good

'Gotta be honest, that looks pretty good.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
For those in the Tampa Bay area, big news!

Colony Grill is opening a new location in St. Pete next month!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As someone who worked in Larchmont in the 80s and was a fairly regular Sal's customer, I find this news of them offering a salad pizza highly disturbing. I don't think you could've found a head of lettuce at Sal's back then.

I just find the concept incredibly stupid. Have a salad in a bowl with everything bagel croutons if you want. I can't imagine that would be any less tasty if you already like the ingredients. It's simply a dumb gimmick IMHO.
Gimmick or not, it works for me for a few reasons.

First, any gimmick that gets me to eat more salad is neither simple nor dumb imo. Like Jim Gaffigan aptly calling out salad with bacon as a game of Find the Bacon, eating a well-designed and pretty healthy salad with a nice, warm everything bagel taste and crunch with each bite keeps me wanting more salad. I don't know if you watched the video showing how it is made, but the everything bagel pizza shell is topped with mozz and red onions and cooked in the oven first, then topped with a thin layer of sour cream, and then the salad is spread on top. So, a little different--and better imo--than merely tossing some everything bagel croutons in a salad. I imagine those croutons could take out a crown after a day or so, too.

Second, making a single-serving salad is a royal pain in the ass imo, and usually pretty wasteful because you can't buy only enough stuff to make a single serving of salad. Anytime I find a good prepared salad, I am happy.

Third, like any pizza topping, the slice itself is a good delivery mechanism. The thin layer of sour cream helps most of the salad stay put on the slice while you are eating it, which is another bonus because eating salad on the run can be tricky (and very frequently leads to dressing splatter on my shirt, tie and/or suit which is not easy to remove).

Fourth, and finally, the fact that it triggers so many people might make me like it even more.

Reaction Score
The salad pie at Colony Grill is actually pretty good. I usually get it with cheese on the pizza as well cause typically it only comes with sauce.

On another note, does anyone know when Sallys is opening in Stamford? They teased us with the Norwalk location back in 2019...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
recently seen on this thread;
'smoked salmon on pizza,'
'sour cream on pizza.'

Ack-billthecat_zpsc1e94071.jpg

because a peloton experience, where u sit around sucking plastic carpet indoor fumes is exactly like going outside in the sunshine for a spin around ur neighborhood?
next up? the explosion of teens/20s presenting at the doc's office with symptoms of tic's (not the biting kind), as well as olders going blind way before their time. same reason -small screen addiction. duh.
yogurt is the single finest manmade foodstuff for health and wellness.
pizza has quickly become the world's favorite food compilation, and as commonly preferred, also a fine input for health, both physical and mental.
yogurt on pizza is insane, and will make the consumer of it unwell.
just becuz it's available doesn't mean it belongs digestively. the ancients wrote numerous tomes on food balance, much of it legit.
have sum discipline. ur body will thank you.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gimmick or not, it works for me for a few reasons.

First, any gimmick that gets me to eat more salad is neither simple nor dumb imo. Like Jim Gaffigan aptly calling out salad with bacon as a game of Find the Bacon, eating a well-designed and pretty healthy salad with a nice, warm everything bagel taste and crunch with each bite keeps me wanting more salad. I don't know if you watched the video showing how it is made, but the everything bagel pizza shell is topped with mozz and red onions and cooked in the oven first, then topped with a thin layer of sour cream, and then the salad is spread on top. So, a little different--and better imo--than merely tossing some everything bagel croutons in a salad. I imagine those croutons could take out a crown after a day or so, too.

Second, making a single-serving salad is a royal pain in the ass imo, and usually pretty wasteful because you can't buy only enough stuff to make a single serving of salad. Anytime I find a good prepared salad, I am happy.

Third, like any pizza topping, the slice itself is a good delivery mechanism. The thin layer of sour cream helps most of the salad stay put on the slice while you are eating it, which is another bonus because eating salad on the run can be tricky (and very frequently leads to dressing splatter on my shirt, tie and/or suit which is not easy to remove).

Fourth, and finally, the fact that it triggers so many people might make me like it even more.
Although I eat a very wide variety of foods, I'm simple in that when I want pizza, I want something hot, red or white. And when I want salad, I'll eat it in a bowl.

I'm somewhat surprised you're not a regular salad eater as it seems you have a decent palate and there's a billion things you can do with salad that don't involve a pizza crust. And lettuce keeps for like a week. Or buy a spinach/arugula mix and when you think you won't finish it all going the salad route, saute what's left with some garlic as a side dish.

As someone who enjoys salads, I simply find this salad pizza thing to be dumb.

Also, I make my own croutons. Do you have weak enamel or something?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
let's call this post 'reducto ad absurdo.'
if this guys strange 'but delicious!' as it says in the headline, pizza choices are so popular, why isn't there a single comment over the years since it was first offered?
Strange Pizza Toppings | Pizza From Around the World (giordanos.com)
looking closer, we find
  • Get up bright and early at 4 a.m. to snatch the most tender cicadas. Arduser says, “They’re soft for just a few hours.” sure, why not?
and oh 'edgy veggie (sauce, mozzarella, fresh spinach, peppers, mushrooms, tomato, garlic, evoo)' is aboot as classic, and tasty a veggie version of abitz as has existed since day one. i believe many consider the tomato, cheese, and basil pie to be the first. what's not to like? balance!
and why, since they had all that stuff (sour cream, radishes, chicken gizzards, etc) back in that day, weren't 'make u ill' pies created then?
really looking forward to that goatmeat, mussels, horseradish, honey, and orange rind dressing, on a lovely cookie dough crust (with choc sprinkles!) 'pie.' not.

'salad' just means 'salted' as in the common meaning for the word when first in common use - salted vegetables, which, by my taste, is a mighty fine stand alone offering, like fresh lettuce, fresh tomatos, and fresh cukes with a pinch of salt. outstanding! makes u feel better, too.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Although I eat a very wide variety of foods, I'm simple in that when I want pizza, I want something hot, red or white. And when I want salad, I'll eat it in a bowl.

I'm somewhat surprised you're not a regular salad eater as it seems you have a decent palate and there's a billion things you can do with salad that don't involve a pizza crust. And lettuce keeps for like a week. Or buy a spinach/arugula mix and when you think you won't finish it all going the salad route, saute what's left with some garlic as a side dish.

As someone who enjoys salads, I simply find this salad pizza thing to be dumb.

Also, I make my own croutons. Do you have weak enamel or something?
I eat a lot of salad. Just had one for lunch today. I hate making them for the reasons I mentioned. One of my regular lunch spots has a very good salad bar where you point and tell them what you want and they make it for you. That's what I did today, and I always have them add a meatball or two on top (one today). Today's also had: baby arugula, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, shredded carrots, banana peppers, raw broccoli, artichoke hearts, black olives, Kalamata olives, a hard boiled egg and half of an avocado. Red wine vinegar and olive oil. No freaking way am I taking the time to buy, store and prepare all that stuff for one or two lunch salads a week. Maybe once we are empty nesters and semi-retired, but I've gone through enough phases of trying to buy, store and prepare all the stuff and it just doesn't work for my lifestyle now.

I don't love croutons actually. I find them distracting and never add them myself. If they are already in a salad I will eat them, but I prefer to save my bread calories for bread products I enjoy much more--like, um, pizza! If I am looking for crunch in a salad, I far prefer nuts or sesame seeds. Unless it's a panzanella, where the stale bread is the whole point. But in my experience stale bagels become so hard as to be essentially inedible after two days.

I have had salad pizza twice in my life, both times at Abbot's Pizza Company. I liked it. If I go back there or see someone else doing something similar, I will have it again because I liked it and it was done well. It really doesn't get any more complicated than that for me.

Kind of like my attitude about there being two types of music, that's how I feel about food.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom