OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 220 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
So, I and a few of us have been to Pepe's, Sally's and Bar. All very good. The thing is that we all have not been to Da Legna. But @Balker just threw a wrench with Zeneli. I am pushing for Zeneli's now since I completely forgot about them and personally always wanted to try their pie. Will see what happens. Thanks for responding. Decision, decisions, decisions.
200.gif
I vote Zeneli’s if looking for a new experience. IMO DaLegna was much better before they moved down the street and rebranded.

Be sure to try the Ricotta e Miele for the table - it’s their homemade bread w/ ricotta drizzled w/ honey.

Reaction Score
I vote Zeneli’s if looking for a new experience. IMO DaLegna was much better before they moved down the street and rebranded.

Be sure to try the Ricotta e Miele for the table - it’s their homemade bread w/ ricotta drizzled w/ honey.
I'm a 1st gen Italian and the Ricotta e Miele, Miele meaning honey. So that will definitely be ordered regardless if any one else likes it or not. I'm hoping the consensus goes with Zeneli's.

Reaction Score

That’s my favorite thing at zeneli a must for every visit

Reaction Score
What the HELL is that? Post/avatar. Hmmm?
How the hell does any planet pizza survive in CT. I have my own wood fired oven from Italy. That’s me shooting a free throw in Gampel after practice. Thank you Fish and Stef.

i made it!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I remember them playing at the Arcadia Ballroom. My first experience with punk
Do you mean this show?

Reaction Score
Do you mean this show?
Thank you thank you thank you.

All us wise guys had Joey,'s hand signals down. "shoot 'em in the back" called for the little pistol finger point, etc. Beat on the Brat where the blow up Mets bat was roadied on stage. It never changed; but it was life changing. By 1980 they definitely recognized us as we were generally always moshed down front. Never met a single one of them.

On a totally unrelated note, my first cousin ran sound in the mid eighties for a full Johnny Thunders tour. I did meet him in wonderful Trenton (frequent Ramones stop). Most lost, wasted, hollow eyed living human I've ever seen to this day.. Great that night but not always. Replacements were another junkie band that was either so good or just money wasted bad.

I miss those days.

Pizza.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can +1 Mondo in Middletown. I also had a nice white clam pie at the Manchester Pepe's but that was pre-COVID.

Reaction Score
Tried a place called Fuocco's in Cheshire last night. Pretty good.

Reaction Score
I brought two Colony pies home with me to Pgh ;-)
Did anyone know there is a Colony Grill in Arlington, VA? My son was visiting there and saw the sign as he was driving past it. He looked it up and it's the same Colony Grill as Stamford. So he went and got a pizza and said it was very good. Same as Stamford.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Did anyone know there is a Colony Grill in Arlington, VA? My son was visiting there and saw the sign as he was driving past it. He looked it up and it's the same Colony Grill as Stamford. So he went and got a pizza and said it was very good. Same as Stamford.
Yeah, saw it on the box. There are six now. Last time I was in CT there were only two. Wish it was there when I was living in Alexandria back 15 years ago.

Reaction Score
Yeah, saw it on the box. There are six now. Last time I was in CT there were only two. Wish it was there when I was living in Alexandria back 15 years ago.
Maybe they should expand to the Boston area. We could use some more good pizza around here.

Reaction Score
Yes my daughter lives there and couldn’t wait for it to open.

Reaction Score
I don't understand it either.

Fwiw, I never imagined I'd like the first Ramones album either...every single time up until the moment I lowered the needle. I doubt it would be any different today, but the only copy of the record that I currently have is in its original shrink wrap.
Last time I was at Sally's I ordered it because of everything I've read here and from the urging of people in line. It tasted like you would expect tomato sauce on bread would taste. I mean it's edible but I have no clue why people would order it over a regular cheese pie or any of their other pie. The second pie was good if underwhelming compared to all my other Sally's visits over the years but the first tomato pie ruined the experience so much for my eating partner that we left New Haven annoyed we just didn't go to Modern. Went back in for Modern later on the trip and it was good as always.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Initially being offered exclusively to attendees of Thursday’s game between the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox, the Apple Pie Hot Dog features an all-beef frank, apple pie filling and bacon jam enveloped in a pie crust and topped with an apple mustard drizzle, apple pie spice and demerara sugar.'
Guy Fieri's Apple Pie Hot Dog for MLB at Field of Dreams Is Peak Guy Fieri - InsideHook
as much as i enjoy the 'mayor of flavortown' as an entertainer, his creations often are just plain gross. mebbe sumone here will figger out how to make a pizza with this nonsense on it.
i won't be eating that, either.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Last time I was at Sally's I ordered it because of everything I've read here and from the urging of people in line. It tasted like you would expect tomato sauce on bread would taste. I mean it's edible but I have no clue why people would order it over a regular cheese pie or any of their other pie. The second pie was good if underwhelming compared to all my other Sally's visits over the years but the first tomato pie ruined the experience so much for my eating partner that we left New Haven annoyed we just didn't go to Modern. Went back in for Modern later on the trip and it was good as always.
I believe that you are reporting your personal experience accurately. I don't dispute it.

I experience it differently. It seems as though I'm not alone.

I have no agenda that you alter your assessment, but I do invite you to reconsider your "have no clue" phrasing. Can you honestly deny that I've provided you a clue?

PS - When I lived in NYC, one of my very favorite slices was a room temperature corner slice of a rectangular tomato sauce only pizza from Sullivan St. Bakery. It never disappointed. I don't know why.

Reaction Score
I believe that you are reporting your personal experience accurately. I don't dispute it.

I experience it differently. It seems as though I'm not alone.

I have no agenda that you alter your assessment, but I do invite you to reconsider your "have no clue" phrasing. Can you honestly deny that I've provided you a clue?

PS - When I lived in NYC, one of my very favorite slices was a room temperature corner slice of a rectangular tomato sauce only pizza from Sullivan St. Bakery. It never disappointed. I don't know why.
It's a figure of speech. I never said some people don't like it/love it, I just don't understand why that's their pizza of choice when I consider all the other options so much better. I don't understand why people get in fist fights in the street over masks and vaccines but people clearly enjoy that as well, there's all sorts of things people like that make no sense to me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's a figure of speech. I never said some people don't like it/love it, I just don't understand why that's their pizza of choice when I consider all the other options so much better. I don't understand why people get in fist fights in the street over masks and vaccines but people clearly enjoy that as well, there's all sorts of things people like that make no sense to me.
It's true that you don't understand.

I don't understand a lot of things either, like why my sisters choose SiriusXM and cable TV channels that play 70s soft rock, or why other people choose tightly-formatted radio stations with advertising and "the best variety of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today" on their car radios.

I doubt that my sisters, as well as most friends & acquaintances, can understand why I visit The Boneyard at least 350 days per year. (For me, one of the great hidden gifts of the 2016-17 & 2017-18 MBB seasons was developing a better appreciation for those of my friends who have followed the Mets or Jets or Knicks throughout each season in recent history, or really those who follow any franchise which has performed without distinction for an extended period of time.)

Plus, many people eat bad pizza. Even in Connecticut. But I doubt that few here care much about what I don't understand. See what I did?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
if sallys is so great, why does trip adv and yelp both have them a 3 1/2 stars, out of 5? a few years back, the last time i went there, the serving lady was so miserable and cranky that i stood up (gf laughing, tells other 2 at table 'this should be funny...'), crumpled up a benjy, threw it at her and said, 'you need this more than we do. adios,' and walked out. a few minutes later, and after a moar graceful exit, the others joined me out on the street. there seemed to be a few other pizza joints on wooster that met our needs with a happy face and great food.
this 'best' stuff is nonsense as it's hard to fall out of bed in Connecticut without faceplanting into a most excellent pizza pie, and without all the pretension and ripoff prices.
off and on over the years, we deliver firewood (mostly white oak when they can't get it) to sum pizza places, and they often toss us a normal topped pie, just becuz. never had a 'bad' one yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's true that you don't understand.

I don't understand a lot of things either, like why my sisters choose SiriusXM and cable TV channels that play 70s soft rock, or why other people choose tightly-formatted radio stations with advertising and "the best variety of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today" on their car radios.

I doubt that my sisters, as well as most friends & acquaintances, can understand why I visit The Boneyard at least 350 days per year. (For me, one of the great hidden gifts of the 2016-17 & 2017-18 MBB seasons was developing a better appreciation for those of my friends who have followed the Mets or Jets or Knicks throughout each season in recent history, or really those who follow any franchise which has performed without distinction for an extended period of time.)

Plus, many people eat bad pizza. Even in Connecticut. But I doubt that few here care much about what I don't understand. See what I did?
Used a lot of words to say what I said. Yep, I see what you did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom