OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 221 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
if sallys is so great, why does trip adv and yelp both have them a 3 1/2 stars, out of 5? a few years back, the last time i went there, the serving lady was so miserable and cranky that i stood up (gf laughing, tells other 2 at table 'this should be funny...'), crumpled up a benjy, threw it at her and said, 'you need this more than we do. adios,' and walked out. a few minutes later, and after a moar graceful exit, the others joined me out on the street. there seemed to be a few other pizza joints on wooster that met our needs with a happy face and great food.
this 'best' stuff is nonsense as it's hard to fall out of bed in Connecticut without faceplanting into a most excellent pizza pie, and without all the pretension and ripoff prices.
off and on over the years, we deliver firewood (mostly white oak when they can't get it) to sum pizza places, and they often toss us a normal topped pie, just becuz. never had a 'bad' one yet.
To each his own but many, many, pizza fanatics myself included think it's the best pizza ever. As far as the cranky lady that was part of the charm. She has since passed. At Sally's you'd come for the pizza but stay for the abuse.

Reaction Score
I vote Zeneli’s if looking for a new experience. IMO DaLegna was much better before they moved down the street and rebranded.

Be sure to try the Ricotta e Miele for the table - it’s their homemade bread w/ ricotta drizzled w/ honey.
^This
That’s my favorite thing at zeneli a must for every visit
Went to Zeneli's last night before heading to Cafe 9. Nice dinner started with antipasto Stella, Ricotta e Miele and the pie was Capricciosa. Antipasto and Ricotta e Miele was just incredible. Though the pie was very good and very authentic, I for one like the pie dough on bottom on the firmer side. Just want to say thanks to the ones that posted and suggested them. It was enjoyable meal and time. Will go back to Zeneli's for sure.

Reaction Score
I believe that you are reporting your personal experience accurately. I don't dispute it.

I experience it differently. It seems as though I'm not alone.

I have no agenda that you alter your assessment, but I do invite you to reconsider your "have no clue" phrasing. Can you honestly deny that I've provided you a clue?

PS - When I lived in NYC, one of my very favorite slices was a room temperature corner slice of a rectangular tomato sauce only pizza from Sullivan St. Bakery. It never disappointed. I don't know why.
It definitely is not ketchup on bread like some would make you believe. I’m sure they drizzled on a very fine olive oil, like they do at Sally’s, and it is made from dough stretched paper thin, which is not easy to do, and baked at 700+ degrees for 5 to 7 minutes. It’s not really bread that you can make sandwiches out of, but a flatbread with a thin brown crust on the bottom, seasoned with olive oil and basil, and their famous sauce.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe that you are reporting your personal experience accurately. I don't dispute it.

I experience it differently. It seems as though I'm not alone.

I have no agenda that you alter your assessment, but I do invite you to reconsider your "have no clue" phrasing. Can you honestly deny that I've provided you a clue?

PS - When I lived in NYC, one of my very favorite slices was a room temperature corner slice of a rectangular tomato sauce only pizza from Sullivan St. Bakery. It never disappointed. I don't know why.
Oh man I loved the Sullivan St "pizza". The potato one in particular was one of my favorites. Totally forgot about that until you mentioned it. Lived around the corner from the Hell's Kitchen location for 5 years.

Reaction Score
Went to Zeneli's last night before heading to Cafe 9. Nice dinner started with antipasto Stella, Ricotta e Miele and the pie was Capricciosa. Antipasto and Ricotta e Miele was just incredible. Though the pie was very good and very authentic, I for one like the pie dough on bottom on the firmer side. Just want to say thanks to the ones that posted and suggested them. It was enjoyable meal and time. Will go back to Zeneli's for sure.
This method of eating is critical for traditional Neapolitan pizza like Zeneli:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
if sallys is so great, why does trip adv and yelp both have them a 3 1/2 stars, out of 5? a few years back, the last time i went there, the serving lady was so miserable and cranky that i stood up (gf laughing, tells other 2 at table 'this should be funny...'), crumpled up a benjy, threw it at her and said, 'you need this more than we do. adios,' and walked out. a few minutes later, and after a moar graceful exit, the others joined me out on the street. there seemed to be a few other pizza joints on wooster that met our needs with a happy face and great food.
this 'best' stuff is nonsense as it's hard to fall out of bed in Connecticut without faceplanting into a most excellent pizza pie, and without all the pretension and ripoff prices.
off and on over the years, we deliver firewood (mostly white oak when they can't get it) to sum pizza places, and they often toss us a normal topped pie, just becuz. never had a 'bad' one yet.
When Sally's was family-owned, there's no question that I had to visit at an off hour on an off day, or wisely choose someone to accompany me who'd have the necessary patience or sense of humor to endure epic waiting both outside & at the table while insiders jumped the line whenever I chose Sally's. There were also the few times that I benefitted from take out that was ordered by a friend who had Sally's private number. It was a two-tier system, and it's quite well-explained in "Pizza: A Love Story," a recent documentary that is now pretty widely available for streaming.

It doesn't surprise me that a good number of people would find such a setup off-putting, and it's tough to break 3½ stars when your business model shows indifference to potential haters.

After Flo died, there wasn't even the 'personality' her presence brought, so it was more of a slog. But the pizza still tasted great, and the sons maintained the quality well enough to sell to new owners who now run it more like a business. Sally's is two years past playing favorites, and customers are the winners.

I can truly enjoy pizza at dozens of places in CT, so you're not entirely off base, but I do think Sally's is worth a try.

This is as good a time as any to kote that I did stop in at Grand Apizza in Clinton a couple months ago. I ordered a sausage & mootz, but they gave me pie with green peppers on it as well. I love roasted red peppers, but not the bitterness if green, which I regard as unripe.

They were 10 minutes before closing, and had already shut off the oven, because a guy was coming in to do a periodic vacuuming. As such, they couldn't make a replacement. I. was asked if I'd eat what they'd made, and I'd already endured Vinny's in Bridgeport putting on green peppers a week before when a friend ordered. The guy I figure to have been Nuzzi gave me back my money, and told me to bring the pie to my friend. I appreciated the gesture, and imagined I'd pick off the peppers and try a slice before bringing the rest to Bridgeport the next day. Truth be told, I ate the whole pizza, even with the peppers. It's nothing I'd ever choose for myself, but it was very good pizza. I'd return and get takeout for a sunset dinner at Hammonasset. Overall, I liked it more than Jennie's in Monroe, which was certainly credible enough. Thanks for the heads up both times.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
To each his own but many, many, pizza fanatics myself included think it's the best pizza ever. As far as the cranky lady that was part of the charm. She has since passed. At Sally's you'd come for the pizza but stay for the abuse.
I didn't regard Flo as cranky, but her charge was to cater best to family & friends, and protect the 'one pizza at a time' pace.

If you sat near the rear where she was, the waiting could feel surreal, even excruciating, but it was a classic case of, "in for a penny, in for a pound," and it never ended with a bad pizza. For the record, the bathroom was unappealing and the interior was tired. I didn't care.

I don't kid myself: most people I know wouldn't stand for it, and I can't say they were wrong.

Eating beneath the tent in the parking lot has been a pleasure.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'I hate abuse.'
the only time ever, in my adult life, the word 'hate' appears in either spoken or written language, is when it is immediately followed by the word abuse. ever. and, i never use the 's' word, because my life experience has taught me that the overwhelmingly vast majority of folks are not 's,' just people living their life with the tools that they have.
if that old clown pulled her 'shtick,' with slamming forks on the table ('we're missing some utensils, when you have a moment, please...'), on me out in the real world, i'da clocked her, and then dialed up the beagle of the moment, where she'd prolly say 'what did you do now, sir gallahad...'
and speaking of beagles, beagle on all you want, still just 3 1/2 stars, with over a thousand responses between those two 'raters.' people aren't 's.' could the prices have anything to do with that?
mikey nuzz, like gary b, rip, are/were great people not becuz of some dough creation, but becuz they are/were great community types, always willing to help out.
great pizza exists everywhere, and without the pretension or ripoff prices of 'sucky's.'
(and for those playing along at home who actually make za, often better than many restaurant offerings, ie. charred and chewy, big bubbles of cheese encrusted doughy wonderfulness, the whole shebang, i highly rec Tuttorossa crushed tomatoes with basil, aboot a buck for the 15 oz can, as a base coat upon which to begin the creation of the day, when not using plain old fresh tomatoe slices. iffn ur buying the dough, make sure it has malted barley in the ingredients.)

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
'I hate abuse.'
the only time ever, in my adult life, the word 'hate' appears in either spoken or written language, is when it is immediately followed by the word abuse. ever. and, i never use the 's' word, because my life experience has taught me that the overwhelmingly vast majority of folks are not 's,' just people living their life with the tools that they have.
if that old clown pulled her 'shtick,' with slamming forks on the table ('we're missing some utensils, when you have a moment, please...'), on me out in the real world, i'da clocked her, and then dialed up the beagle of the moment, where she'd prolly say 'what did you do now, sir gallahad...'
and speaking of beagles, beagle on all you want, still just 3 1/2 stars, with over a thousand responses between those two 'raters.' people aren't 's.' could the prices have anything to do with that?
mikey nuzz, like gary b, rip, are/were great people not becuz of some dough creation, but becuz they are/were great community types, always willing to help out.
great pizza exists everywhere, and without the pretension or ripoff prices of 'sucky's.'
(and for those playing along at home who actually make za, often better than many restaurant offerings, ie. charred and chewy, big bubbles of cheese encrusted doughy wonderfulness, the whole shebang, i highly rec Tuttorossa crushed tomatoes with basil, aboot a buck for the 15 oz can, as a base coat upon which to begin the creation of the day, when not using plain old fresh tomatoe slices. iffn ur buying the dough, make sure it has malted barley in the ingredients.)
Your post exudes characteristic personality & passion with a double-down of pique, but, for reasons explained (and you did ask), it's the equivalent of driving with an old map.

If your experience of Sally's was negative enough to earn the permanent label of "abuse," I'm unlikely to persuade you that you're bitching out a ghost and maybe even exhibiting a trauma response. Flo is literally dead.

Sons Bobby & Ricky by all reports have been generous & helpful to the new ownership for more than two years now. And those who benefitted from the historical 'unfairness' assure me it has vanished and they have no complaints about the changes.

The pizza is terrific.

The prices are market-sensitive (read: high for pizza), though undoubtedly in line with those elsewhere on the fabled block and nearby. I know many places where I can lower the cost and still enjoy myself, whether in New Haven County, throughout CT, or, at best, while exiting Manhattan and diverting my Triboro toll money toward coal-fired Patsy's slices that reflect the economics of its East Harlem neighborhood and conveniently get me across the 3rd Ave bridge.

Past practices will no doubt continue to exert a long tail effect and drag down Sally's ratings, which is good for the Schaudenfrauders, resenters, and casual fans, but is arguably immaterial for those accessing a thread with 5500 entries, many of them up-to-the-present, informed, informing, and helpful.

Thanks for weighing in on home prep, and expanding my options on the Shoreline and coming out of (or heading into) Bridgeport. If the success of Sally's reboot holds no interest for you, well then, maybe it does for somebody else.

I look forward to reading about the Stamford opening from those in Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
Last night, I had dinner at Red Rooster Pub in Wilton for the first time. Their menu is a mixed bag, but they have a lot of Italian food options, including pizza.

Tried their white bean, roasted garlic and spinach pizza and I loved it, almost like a pasta fagioli on a pizza. The white beans were super creamy and through the heat of the cooking process, their texture had a nice pop too. I've never seen white bean on a pizza until last night, but it makes total sense to me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Last night, I had dinner at Red Rooster Pub in Wilton for the first time. Their menu is a mixed bag, but they have a lot of Italian food options, including pizza.

Tried their white bean, roasted garlic and spinach pizza and I loved it, almost like a pasta fagioli on a pizza. The white beans were super creamy and through the heat of the cooking process, their texture had a nice pop too. I've never seen white bean on a pizza until last night, but it makes total sense to me.
Zuppardi's makes an escarole and bean pizza that is one of our favorites. We add their house-made sausage to it.

Reaction Score
Zuppardi's makes an escarole and bean pizza that is one of our favorites. We add their house-made sausage to it.
Only pizza place left in the state that still makes their own sausage, as far as I know, and it’s big chunks of sausage, not thinly sliced sausage that many places are doing nowadays to cut costs. You can really taste the anise and fennel in their sausage.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wa
Was going to mention that I'm used to escarole as the green, having had it a Tolli's in East Haven, which had underwhelmed me. Nice to know that Zuppardi's is an option, if I'm with somebody who wants a white pie but not clam.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'd add URBN/Basic in San Diego to that list. IIRC, it's a couple of Yale grads who started it. I've only been to the one across the street from RF at Petco Park, and it was a bit crispier than a Wooster St apizza, but still a pretty good facsimile.

Also loved that they mentioned hard rolls at the end. Really, they don't exist west of the Hudson. I usually bring home a half dozen each trip to CT.

Reaction Score
I'd add URBN/Basic in San Diego to that list. IIRC, it's a couple of Yale grads who started it. I've only been to the one across the street from RF at Petco Park, and it was a bit crispier than a Wooster St apizza, but still a pretty good facsimile.

Also loved that they mentioned hard rolls at the end. Really, they don't exist west of the Hudson. I usually bring home a half dozen each trip to CT.
I’ve been a few times and it’s okay. They reheat pizzas during peak hours I’m pretty sure; but hey it’s basically your only option.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

Also Pete's Apizza in DC...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom