BC Opposed the Inclusion of UCONN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BC Opposed the Inclusion of UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few points:

1. If in fact ESPN was working this behind the scene to our detriment our BCU Gov needs to revisit the sweetheart deal he just gave them with CT taxpayer money.

2. I don't think the success of Pitt basketball is so much about their NY recruiting as much as their style of play. The BE is a banging conference and Pitt has been the leader in that style of play. Will they be able to continue that style in the ACC, I don't think so. That problem surfaces every year when they get in the NCAA tournament. So the question for them is can they change their current style to one that will be allowed in the ACC and still be successful.

3. BCU - It should come as no surprise that they don't want us in the ACC. With the move to the ACC they are in a stable conference, for now, but their success has been limited and was in the early years when they were still playing with Big East players. Right now their major programs are in a state of decline. They have not competed nor have they been able to recruit players to keep them competitive. In business you don't fear competition. If you are strong competition makes you better and often benefits all involved. Why are McDonalds and Wendys always near each other?

Did you ever notice that when BCU fans talk about other programs it is never in the context of that programs positives as compared to BCU. They always trash the other program. BCU fears us, they know they will not be able to compete with us. Our move to the ACC would surely be their demise. GD's comments finally bring this out for the public to see. They will block us, success to be determined, with everything they have. They have no choice, they know that in the long run they cannot compete.

We are in for a bumpy road in the near term but I am confident we will be fine. We have too much to offer and have been around too long. Our basketball success needs no explanation. We need to remember we have only been playing big boy football for approximately 10 years and have 2 BE championships and a BCS bowl. Not bad for a newcomer.

Reaction Score
I would add that BC said (way back when) there would have to be changes in the administrations at both schools before we would ever play each other again. Well, since then, UConn has a new university president, new AD, new head football coach (and staff), the state of CT has a new governor and a new Attorney General. How's that for change on our side of the border?
Maybe things will cool when Calhoun retires. JC vowed to never play BC again, now BC is laughing and being happy to oblige. A lot was said and done in the heat of the moment. People have good memories and are happy to see us squirm at the moment. In the end I think we will be fine. I think what has hurt us the most was not moving up to 1A earlier, but whatever, we will be fine when the dust settles.

Reaction Score
Maybe things will cool when Calhoun retires. JC vowed to never play BC again, now BC is laughing and being happy to oblige. A lot was said and done in the heat of the moment. People have good memories and are happy to see us squirm at the moment. In the end I think we will be fine. I think what has hurt us the most was not moving up to 1A earlier, but whatever, we will be fine when the dust settles.

There is still no reason to play them in Basketball from our perspective unless they will play us in football. Their basketball is irrelevant as is their football quite honestly. The only reason why we want to play them in Football is to prove we are now the better program head to head. Even that really doesn't matter much. Screw BC. There is no need to play them unless we get into the ACC.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yet the schools play each other in many other sports. These games don't schedule themselves.

Reaction Score
Cant believe BC has so much power in ACC
As we know, one school alone can't block, so you gotta figure football-minded schools like FsU and Miami had no problem also saying No.

Reaction Score
After reading the Golbe article maybe it is time for Herbst to change gears about the future home for UConn athletics. UConn and Rutgers need to get together and market themselves to sell the fact they can bring the NYC/NJ/CT tv market...and isolate BC. With the amount of financial business that is done in Boston they may even be able to push something like the BTN into the NE tv market. Be it the B-12 or B1G go that route instead of the ACC.

Reaction Score
So if the ACC is so hot for Uconn, and basketball matters as Blaudschun would have you believe, why were they not considered during the first expansion?

Maybe the fact we had a football program that just upgraded from D1AA had something to do with that.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
After reading the Golbe article maybe it is time for Herbst to change gears about the future home for UConn athletics. UConn and Rutgers need to get together and market themselves to sell the fact they can bring the NYC
/NJ/CT tv market...and isolate BC. With the amount of financial business that is done in Boston they may even be able to push something like the BTN into the NE tv market. Be it the B-12 or B1G go that route instead of the ACC.

The Big 12 isn't coming, and Delany has already said they will not expand. We are in trouble unless GDF is fired and or dies (both realistic possibilities within the next 5 years).

I still think that if the ACC loses a member, we will be added to the ACC. We were 2nd in line apparently before BC shoved Pitt in front of us. That's the good news in all of this.

Reaction Score
"UConn had already reached milestones that BC had not - including national championships in men’s and women’s basketball and a BCS bid in football."

Flipper....UCONN IS already New England's college team.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for awhile but several people have been laughing at this idea.

Some people who laughed at my mentioning a veto should weigh in on this.

And yeah, I do think ESPN is exposed here--pretty badly.

Yes you have. And I for one believed you

You also said that espn would never allow the Big East to reject its low ball offer without a vindictive response. Now we know.

Thanks!

Reaction Score
The validity of this article ended when it stated "the growing influence of BC in the ACC". That is patently not true. They have not brought the Boston market, they've forced the creating of the BC bowl rule in the ACC, have been little more than a consistently average performer in football, while being deadweight in basketball. There may be some truth to these reports, but Bladschun has been behind on these stories consistently, and he's a Boston writer pumping up a Boston team, this happens all of the time. I think what's more likely is that there was a combination of the southern football schools not wanting a perceived basketball school, no matter how much truth there is to that argument for pitt over us, and the conference as a whole wanting to take Pitt before the Big 12 swooped in. The reports stating Pitt was a target of the Big 12, and would have gotten away from the ACC were FAR more reliable and abundant in total than this one report from a Boston guy quoting Flipper saying that he blocked UConn. Plus, GDF himself may not be around BC much longer with his recent handling of the FB coaches and BB coach being nothing short of horrendous. All of their fans want him out.

Reaction Score
BC was never relevant in football or basketball. From 1991-2003 when VT and MIAMI were in league only 4 schools won or shared football titles Miami 5 outright Syr 2 outright VT 1 outright WV 1 out right 1991 miami and syr 1995 VT and Miami 1996 3 way VT,Miami andSyr 2003 Miami andWV.

Reaction Score
Maybe things will cool when Calhoun retires. JC vowed to never play BC again ... People have good memories and are happy to see us squirm at the moment.

That is a minimal issue, if that.

The reason here is simple: BC does not want competition from UConn. Why is so hard for people to accept that? Their AD even came right out and said it!

It's not about hurt feelings; it's business and money. BC wants New England to itself, and does not want to be overshadowed by UConn. Case closed.

And, for the umpteenth time: BC does not need veto power. If they yell and scream against UConn, they probably can persuade the other schools to vote for a reasonable alternative (eg, Pitt), or push schools on the fence to the other side.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for awhile but several people have been laughing at this idea.

Some people who laughed at my mentioning a veto should weigh in on this.

And yeah, I do think ESPN is exposed here--pretty badly.

I hope you aren't referring to me. I never laughed at the idea,I said I found it hard to believe the other schools couldn't persuade bcu to fall in line if uconn was that desirable over one of the other schools. If you are going to misrepresent my opinions maybe I should call you waylon.

Reaction Score
You need more than one school to block an invitation. If it was only BC, the votes would have been 11-1 and UConn would have been invited.
I think upstater answered this. Its a Veto ... but other schools go by it because they may need BC for other things. It is DeFilippo being DeFilippo.

And OUR BC posters here? What are you thinking? (go start looking for another board name)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still believe that either GD or MB is overstating BC's power as it very likely was unique to a very specific situation. The ACC needed to decide quickly and act just as quickly to secure their additions. One dissenting voice (especially one on the expansion committee) could easily have led to a few days of debate before reaching agreement on candidates. This would have killed any chance the ACC had at getting agreements before the B-12 meeting. If this had been a more normalized process BC would have had little power.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think that Basketball was a big part of this is ignoring reality. We know football drives the bus but Big East basketball was at a whole different level and if I was the ACC I'd want to destroy and steal that too.

Reaction Score
read this: http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10341 even some of their own fans don't believe the whole story. that should tell you all you need to know about this.

Wow. You think opinions on that site are at all indicative of reality? They hate us. They never mention that Pitt spearheaded the lawsuit. They still think we are newcomers to basketball royalty after 22 years at the top. They are the smallest and most delusional group of inbreds you will find anywhere. All 20 BC fans are miserable, pitiful human beings. They dont like Bladschaun because he calls BC out for what it is, a mess shrouded in irrelevance and insecurity. I guarantee you, we will win this war because the brand we have is better than theirs. They know it and they are helpless to do anything about it so they try to cut us off through business moves rather than beat us on the field. BC is like a political candidate that digs up dirt on his opponent but never presents any ideas as to what he'll do when elected. They are a gross lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom