BC Opposed the Inclusion of UCONN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

BC Opposed the Inclusion of UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They are idiots over there, but even some of them believe this article to be a load of BS. They all hate GDF too.

Reaction Score
They are idiots over there, but even some of them believe this article to be a load of BS. They all hate GDF too.
They hate him (and the head coach) because their football team is putrid this year too.

Reaction Score
They hate him (and the head coach) because their football team is putrid this year too.
they wanted him fired before this year started. it started with the handling of jags.

Reaction Score
I still think most people are missing the biggest revelation in the article. Everyone knows GDF hates UConn. Nor should it be a surprise that he blocked UConn as #13 or #14.

Rather GDF belittled Coach K, Duke and their president. A very large shot across tobacco road's bow.

DeFilippo was also insistent that the Duke influence was minimal. "Mike Krzyzewski didn't stop expansion the last time and he was not going to start expansion this time,'' said DeFilippo, who added that the mega-deals negotiated with the Big 12 and Pac-12 in recent months had caused an "unbelievable shift in the marketplace.''

"Did [Richard] Brodhead [Duke president] help with this thing? Sure, he's chair [of the expansion committee].''

Reaction Score
You need more than one school to block an invitation. If it was only BC, the votes would have been 11-1 and UConn would have been invited.

Sigh. UConn never applied. The 75% number only applies to voting when a school seeks approval. BC essentially blackballed UConn in committee. No matter how many times this is said, people just don't get the difference.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised If UConn didn't necessarily oppose SYR and Pitt's early departure in exchange for their support should an ACC opportunity eventually present itself to UConn down the road.

Syracuse and Pitt cannot help Uconn in the next round on numbers alone. 75% of the votes in the current ACC is at least 9, in the new it is at least 10.5. Bottom line, it will still take only three votes to keep us out of the club. Perhaps they can lobby to get us included (not sure they would), but their votes can only hurt us.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He cites no source? WHHHHAAAA?

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

In direct quotes BC didn't want them in.

I don't get your confusion. He meant an ACC source besides the self-serving DeFilip, obviously.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt cannot help Uconn in the next round on numbers alone. 75% of the votes in the current ACC is at least 9, in the new it is at least 10.5. Bottom line, it will still take only three votes to keep us out of the club. Perhaps they can lobby to get us included (not sure they would), but their votes can only hurt us.

And I am not certain that Cuse doesn't want us to whither away as well. They didn't mind us in the BE because it helped them have a viable conference but now that they got out I wouldn't count on them to help us with anything.

Reaction Score
Sigh. UConn never applied. The 75% number only applies to voting when a school seeks approval. BC essentially blackballed UConn in committee. No matter how many times this is said, people just don't get the difference.

agreed that bc did have influence in the way expansion in this round was shaped - 2/12 of the board were BC leadership (AD and Prez). Add Shalala to GDF and Father Leahy, and you have 25% of the expansion committee with a uconn dartboard in their office. Anyone who thinks that this level of membership opposition on an expansion committee is not significant influence, does not realize how committees work.

if their conf presidents have an issue with the job they have done, expect BC leadership to be booted off the commitee next time - otherwise, get used to the new and improved BE.

Reaction Score
I dunno, now I'm torn - it would be kinda neat to see what happens to BC in five years with GDF still at the helm...

At the very least, there will be two BC moments to look forward to....Flipper's firing....and his reaction at our acceptance. :D

Reaction Score
And I am not certain that Cuse doesn't want us to whither away as well. They didn't mind us in the BE because it helped them have a viable conference but now that they got out I wouldn't count on them to help us with anything.
Exactly. Nothing has hurt SU football more than UConn and RU emerging. We're getting recruits they used to. SU was a real presence in CT recruiting, with UConn's move up they've pretty much been eliminated. SU will not be looking to do UConn any favors.

Reaction Score
Add Shalala to GDF and Father Leahy, and you have 25% of the expansion committee with a uconn dartboard in their office.
No you don't. GDF and Leahy are from the same school, they get one vote. And is anyone listening to Shalala right now? Will she have a football team next year?

Reaction Score
No you don't. GDF and Leahy are from the same school, they get one vote. And is anyone listening to Shalala right now? Will she have a football team next year?

Are you certain that there were votes in committee? Usually committees seek agreement, because a committee's job is to make recommendations to the larger organization.

Reaction Score

we do not know if the expansion committee used a voting process to arrive at the final list of candidates that were presented to the ACC presidents - what we do know is that SU and Pitt were unanimously approved. and we know that the acc was looking for just two schools.

i thought leahy was on the expansion committee along with gdf and shalala - a quick internet search has proven me wrong. regardless i have to assume that the expansion committee is doing the heavy lifting on research, analysis, and ultimately, making a recommendation on fit - otherwise why would the presidents have created a separate committee? so if the committee is doing the heavy lifting on picking the two schools that would get an up or down vote, then having two people on that committee with an anti-uconn agenda is an impossible obstacle to overcome, particularly if they have other, acceptable candidates.

edit: replace goal with obstacle!

Reaction Score
After reading the Golbe article maybe it is time for Herbst to change gears about the future home for UConn athletics. UConn and Rutgers need to get together and market themselves to sell the fact they can bring the NYC/NJ/CT tv market...and isolate BC. With the amount of financial business that is done in Boston they may even be able to push something like the BTN into the NE tv market. Be it the B-12 or B1G go that route instead of the ACC.

BINGO!!

In my space, I want nothing to do with membership in a southern based conference where the vast majority of its member's heritage and region is slavery and segregation.

I'm a proud Northeastern brother. From my travels to the south I've always came away thinking there's an innate fear of northeasterns by southerners in almost all walks of life. The northeast has the best academic colleges, financial centers, media centers, hospitals etc..and yes, the outcome of a war fought over a 140 years ago. College football, however, is not one of them. and the threat of a potential powerful college football conference in the northeast has always scared the south. As it would be another symbol of northeast pride vs a sport the south considers a religion.

Because of its racist heritage, education has never been a priority in the south (high school and drop out rankings) To overcome this inferiority complex and with an unlimited supply of black athletes to pull from, southern schools have promoted its athletic programs as front porch exhibits for its schools to enhance their academic reputations. Which is one of the very same false analogies that Pitt and 'Cuse have been bamboozled into.

Through greed and a lack of critical thinking by some Big East member administratars and executives; they have provided espn and the acc with Uzis and shotguns to show up in the middle of the night and systematically pluck our members with impunity. And in the process divide and conquer the northeast college sports region to satisfy a deep seeded southern resentment for the northeast.

The truth of the matter is that the south and the acc in particular have been gunning for the Big East since 1985 when 3 tiny Catholic universities with a collective black student enrollment less than that of nc states's basket weaving classes went to the Final Four and smoked tobacco road in route. More recent, think of Pat Smmit's behavior when she lost out on Maya Moore. Not until the arrival of espn "south" could the acc pull it off, though.

I know this is not a view shared by the vast majority on this board. As the overriding theme has been acc or bust. But a minority of us, mostly black, view UConn not in a conference that masquerades progressive thinking and is a patsy to espn. But in a conference where we're not a slave to espn.

The agenda of economics first and foremost in this tight market can still be achieved without begging for membership into the very same conference that has caused the vast majority of instability in the Big East. Yes, it will take hard work. But UConn through the venue provided by the Big East has already done it. And will do it again!

With just the tip of the iceberg on the second raid revealed so far; does UConn really want to be aligned with such dishonorable people?

And by the way, since the vast majority of the performances of the revenue making sports falls on the shoulders of the black athlete. Ask bc fans and alums what moving to the acc has done for them in attracting high profile black athletes to its campus. For bc its personal, but it's not unique as pitt and cuse will discover if they make it to the acc.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
You're black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
He cites no source? WHHHHAAAA?

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

And they are STILL waiting to be the team in New England because they are FAR from it.

Reaction Score

+1

Reaction Score

I believe you get the gold ring!

Reaction Score
He's got a big mouth for such a little man. Looking forward to joining the ACC. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom