Bazz and Boat Disagreement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bazz and Boat Disagreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Welsh has been doing this every game for 2 seasons now, every game he goes on and on about Bazz & Boat's relationship and how KO has to manage and deal with them. You don't hear this nonsense from any other announcer but him. Are Bazz & Boat completely in sync with each other at all times? No, but they're not two kids at each other's throats day in and day out like Welsh tries to have the audience believe.

Welsh also was riding Bazz for his body language and not being into the game and immediately Bazz made a nice steal off a pick and roll late in the game and it was clutch - Welsh said nothing about that!!! He's a stiff…….

Reaction Score
Boat's shot selection/timing can is usually suspect at a given point in time in any game. That's him. Boat and Bazz have been playing together for years. Not really worried about. At least Boat wants the ball, something I wish Daniels acting on a bit more.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Yeah, and Ollie pulled him out of the game after the three because.. or did you miss that?

Except he didn't. He pulled him 1:30 later, when he missed a runner in the lane (with about five seconds in the shot clock, which was not a bad shot), and then Nolan got the rebound and was fouled. He checked out for DD, which could have been because he was mad at him, but it also may very well be that KO was looking to match up on defense since we were up by 6. Get a little more size out there, make sure you get the guys you want on Judge and Mack. He did that against Cincy as well with putting Samuel in for defense.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/1314mb30.html

Reaction Score
Except he didn't. He pulled him 1:30 later, when he missed a runner in the lane (with about five seconds in the shot clock, which was not a bad shot), and then Nolan got the rebound and was fouled. He checked out for DD, which could have been because he was mad at him, but it also may very well be that KO was looking to match up on defense since we were up by 6. Get a little more size out there, make sure you get the guys you want on Judge and Mack. He did that against Cincy as well with putting Samuel in for defense.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/1314mb30.html

He went to the bench right after the Bazz foul which Bazz did because he was upset with Boat.

Boat went back in at the 2:28 TO.

So, what's your point, that Bazz was wrong and Boat was not selfish? Bazz and Ollie disagree with you by their action.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I like them both, but both drive me nuts on occasion. Bazz and Boat both put up shots at times that they shouldn't, but Bazz' go in a fair amount of the time which makes them less visible. Boat seems to think he’s 6’3” or bigger the way he goes into the trees. I wish he’d drive and pull up more versus throwing up floaters or hoping for a foul. I’d like more drive and kicks from both of them. They did it well last night and Giffey was hitting shots after 2 early misses. Bazz seems to have more defensive lapses than anyone on the team. How many times have you seen his man wide open and Bazz running out at him too late? The foul from last night was by far the worst play he’s made all year. Just plain dumb. When Brimah is not in the game they (B & B) need to do a better job of stopping/limiting dribble penetration. Tyler is frequently victimized by coming to help and leaving his man open. If Brimah is in I’m not as concerned.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
He went to the bench right after the Bazz foul which Bazz did because he was upset with Boat.

Boat went back in at the 2:28 TO.

So, what's your point, that Bazz was wrong and Boat was not selfish? Bazz and Ollie disagree with you by their action.

I admit I don't remember who came back out after the media TO, but I remembered Boat missing a minute later. The official play by play does not indicate a sub at 3:50, but it's possible the statisticians missed it.

But here is the thing, if Bazz fouled on purpose because he was upset with a teammate and gave Rutgers two points for no bloody reason, it's completely unacceptable. I hope Bazz is telling the truth when he says he was going for a steal and got caught and just decided to foul (which is a bad decision, but at least a basketball one). Because if he admitted he did that on purpose because he didn't like the shot that Boat took, then that's awful, stupid, selfish basketball. Just give the other team two points when you lead by 7? Why? I've seen plenty of players take bad shots going for premature daggers - I have never seen anyone foul on purpose to give a lecture. The fadeaway 3 near airball that Bazz shot was a garbage, selfish shot as well - should someone have fouled Rutgers on purpose there too to yell at him? We'd have lost the game if we fouled every time someone did something stupid (LK took a bad shot, Nolan should have kicked the ball back out, DD didn't give the ball to a guard and dribbled into a turnover, etc.).

Boat had a stretch where he looked like he played selfish - the Eurostep floater on the break with 5 to go and that three were both bad shots, clearly. Whether he thought he was going for the jugular or whether he was trying to get his late after deferring the whole game, they were bad decisions. Have no problem with him getting pulled.

Reaction Score
Boat played very well overall last night. He did a little of everything. He is also extremely supportive of Hus teammates, gave Niels a huge hug during the pregame ceremony and cheers like crazy for walk on Pat Lenehan when he gets on the floor. Boat is far from perfect, but he deserves more praise than he gets on here.

Reaction Score
Boat played very well overall last night. He did a little of everything. He is also extremely supportive of Hus teammates, gave Niels a huge hug during the pregame ceremony and cheers like crazy for walk on Pat Lenehan when he gets on the floor. Boat is far from perfect, but he deserves more praise than he gets on here.

I thought he played well but did get a little selfish at the end with 3 bad shots (1 on 3 Break, 3 pointer early in the clock, Pull up jumper early in clock). It's really ashame how he is killed by our fans. The guy competes his butt off. He really has had to make the biggest sacrifices for the team and never complains. I think that Boat, Bazz, and to some degree Daniels have to cover up for some of the deficiency of the team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That's it: everybody out of the pool until you've spent at least 15 seconds watching the GIF of Phil mugging for the camera while Bazz goes to help him up.

Reaction Score
I like them both, but both drive me nuts on occasion. Bazz and Boat both put up shots at times that they shouldn't, but Bazz' go in a fair amount of the time which makes them less visible. Boat seems to think he’s 6’3” or bigger the way he goes into the trees. I wish he’d drive and pull up more versus throwing up floaters or hoping for a foul. I’d like more drive and kicks from both of them. They did it well last night and Giffey was hitting shots after 2 early misses. Bazz seems to have more defensive lapses than anyone on the team. How many times have you seen his man wide open and Bazz running out at him too late? The foul from last night was by far the worst play he’s made all year. Just plain dumb. When Brimah is not in the game they (B & B) need to do a better job of stopping/limiting dribble penetration. Tyler is frequently victimized by coming to help and leaving his man open. If Brimah is in I’m not as concerned.
Totally agree, isn't Bazz being a hypocrite then. He is known for taking long 3 point shots early in the shot clock late in the game in close games. And then to top it off with purposefully fouling the other team is just plain selfish. I love Bazz but lost some respect watching that last night. These two have to get in sync to have any chance going forward. The teams play as whole over the past 4 or 5 games has been uninspiring and leaves something to be desired.

Reaction Score
Totally agree, isn't Bazz being a hypocrite then. He is known for taking long 3 point shots early in the shot clock late in the game in close games. And then to top it off with purposefully fouling the other team is just plain selfish. I love Bazz but lost some respect watching that last night. These two have to get in sync to have any chance going forward. The teams play as whole over the past 4 or 5 games has been uninspiring and leaves something to be desired.

Did we ever find out why Bazz made that foul at mid court. It look intentional, like he wanted to get the under 4 timeout by stopping the clock, but didn't want us to use a timeout.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've only seen two situations in the past five games in which Bazz and Ryan demonstrated anything but good chemistry. I'm not sure they are out of sink by any stretch of the imagination based on those two situations. I'm also not certain that the less than stellar play could be attributed to them. Nor do I agree with you that the last five games were all less than stellar. I thought that Cinci game was a fantastic game in which UConn out gutted Cinci at their own game. And in the Rutgers game UConn finally started to make shots which should really be the focus of fans if we weren't all so focused on the need to dwell on the negative.

Reaction Score
It's one thing for Welsh to make an observation but he went on and on about it so hard it was incessant. He then went on about how Rutgers shouldn't foul down 2 possessions with under 40 seconds to go and just play good defense. I was longing for Len Elmore and Mike Patrick.

Reaction Score
Len Elmore was showing lots of love in our last Memphis game. Think he's a fan of ollie, who isn't?

Reaction Score
Did we ever find out why Bazz made that foul at mid court. It look intentional, like he wanted to get the under 4 timeout by stopping the clock, but didn't want us to use a timeout.
He did it to get Boat's attention and show his displeasure.

Reaction Score
And in the Rutgers game UConn finally started to make shots which should really be the focus of fans if we weren't all so focused on the need to dwell on the negative.
And it was senior night. That's an emotional and tricky game, and we've lost a fair share of them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've only seen two situations in the past five games in which Bazz and Ryan demonstrated anything but good chemistry. I'm not sure they are out of sink by any stretch of the imagination based on those two situations. I'm also not certain that the less than stellar play could be attributed to them. Nor do I agree with you that the last five games were all less than stellar. I thought that Cinci game was a fantastic game in which UConn out gutted Cinci at their own game. And in the Rutgers game UConn finally started to make shots which should really be the focus of fans if we weren't all so focused on the need to dwell on the negative.
RB and Bazz may not be out of sync but I sure was when I wrote this. "Out of sink". Good grief.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, a non event. I have been saying all year though that Boat needs to improve his decision making especially late in game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
1) People on this forum got me to notice that Boat really has improved his decision making. There may be a little more to do but he is not the same player he was last year.

2) You can't expect all the impossible plays Bazz makes AND complain that some of his attempts look impossible. He is pretty efficient and he can't push the envelope for the former w/o some of the latter.

3) This "fight" is nothing. They are both intense, proud players and I'm sure this has happened before. But they are brothers in combat. Both did something wrong but it is over,

4) I don't think we have been on a 5 games slide. SMU and USF were weak games. But I don't think beating Temple by 13 was bad. I thought we played great in spite of good shots not dropping against Cinci and I thought Rutgers played well against us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom