Baylor Reveals This Season's "Ultra Competitive" Non Conference Schedule | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Baylor Reveals This Season's "Ultra Competitive" Non Conference Schedule

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
TRCZKRCCDCQIIAR.20170720155706.jpg

Duke's non-conference schedule

Notes:
  • The Ohio State game is part of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.
  • The South Carolina is the back end of the home-and-home series.
  • The Grand Canyon game was scheduled because Krystal Thomas was an assistant coach there, but the head coach was fired in the offseason and the new coach (Nicole Powell) did not retain Thomas as an assistant.
  • I am hoping the Oregon State series is a home-and-home, as Duke would head to OSU next year...when Maryland transfer Destiny Slocum will be eligible.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This thread has created quite a stir. 3295 views, and 100 responses as of this post. I'm feeling a little edgy today, so I'm going to flip the script. Let's suppose just for the sake of discussion and supposition (we all know it would NEVER EVER happen), and since it's a slow day here in the yard, let's suppose Geno would put together an OOC schedule similar to the one Kim has for 2017. What would be the fan reaction(s) and the ramifications regarding inclusion in the NCAA tournament?

Even with a weak and laughable OOC schedule and a weak conference schedule, UConn would still make the national tournament. Of course, they would not be a #1 seed, but we all know, if you're part of the field of 64, anything can happen, and you make your own luck. UConn would still be the team no other team would want to play.

Let's say they schedule two top 5 ranked P5 teams (South Carolina & Notre Dame, or whoever) late in the regular season in January or February to gauge where they are, and identify where (if any) last minute adjustments need to be made. Let's say for the sake of discussion, they totally demolish and embarrass those two P5 teams, which should give the tournament selection committee something to think about.

Baylor is getting away with it (and laughing at the selection committee the whole year). How would this work out for the Huskies?? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I just want to compliment Nan and the other admins.

I don't know how they pulled it off in this thread but they have managed to create a wormhole to the 1999 Summitt.

Nobel Prize worthy I'd say.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
P

Duke's non-conference schedule

Notes:
  • The Ohio State game is part of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.
  • The South Carolina is the back end of the home-and-home series.
  • The Grand Canyon game was scheduled because Krystal Thomas was an assistant coach there, but the head coach was fired in the offseason and the new coach (Nicole Powell) did not retain Thomas as an assistant.
  • I am hoping the Oregon State series is a home-and-home, as Duke would head to OSU next year...when Maryland transfer Destiny Slocum will be eligible.

We got High Point, Presbyterian, Winthrop AND Liberty. So we can wrap up the Big South Conference by New Year's Eve :cool::p;):D:eek::rolleyes::)

Reaction Score
I just caught up with this thread, and at first, wondered whether it was a joke. That schedule is actually worse -- by a lot -- that the old UConn schedules when the team played a holiday tournament at the Civic Center with the likes of Hofstra and Fairleigh Dickinson. In an era when (as MD found out) you pay for a weak OOC schedule, you have to wonder what Baylor was thinking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good thing Einstein--wasn't judged by his Choices. HIs early personal life wasn't perfect. His MATH and Physics abilities changed many theories and beliefs--and with an explosive nature.
Grant--a drunk to some--his abilities saved the North for Lincoln--his personal choices were not always great.
Lee--bad choice to leave the US Army---with minimal supplies and under staffed Army--with his abilities--almost defeated the Yankee.

No argument---life is full of choices--but if we were all defined by only our bad ones--we'd have no hero's or leaders.
I have made bad choices--that's what humans do--and this may be one ot them.

Where did I say or imply anything like that?

As to falsely inflating your record---isn't that what Kim's intentions are or Md's last year?? As Vowel guy pointed out, Geno years ago??

Years ago Geno did not have a well established beat down program. He had to start somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
More like dumbest basketball strategies ever. Dumbest basketball mindsets ever. It smacks of, yes it was Einstein who coined it, the quote I stated previously, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
Does that apply to Free Throw practices?? I can see Danger saying: Coach---this is INSANE--Einstein said so!!

Reaction Score
I just caught up with this thread, and at first, wondered whether it was a joke. That schedule is actually worse -- by a lot -- that the old UConn schedules when the team played a holiday tournament at the Civic Center with the likes of Hofstra and Fairleigh Dickinson. In an era when (as MD found out) you pay for a weak OOC schedule, you have to wonder what Baylor was thinking.

I like this--and like this---so I actually double like it.

Uconn has had a few of those---they were not ACTUAL cupcakes--they were only those foolish enough to sign up for the "tournament"---and make a few buck (how much?? the discussion continues)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does that apply to Free Throw practices?? I can see Danger saying: Coach---this is INSANE--Einstein said so!!
I don't know that it would be a wise move for a player to quote Einstein to Geno. If you have the temerity to quote any physicist to Geno, at least quote an Italian like Enrico Fermi.

Reaction Score
Sonny -
Please read what you wrote on CHOICES.

"In life you are defined by not by your abilities, but by your choices. Neither Baylor nor UCONN has a choice of conference opponents. UCONN WCBB isn't in the AAC by choice either."

Convoluted sentence ??leading your paragraph ---led to my believing you said the reverse of what you intended??-- sorry every time I read it comes out the same way- did you mean-YOU ARE DEFINED BY YOUR CHOICES.
I replied: If everyone was only defined by their choices--we'd have no hero's or leaders' TRUISM!
I write many convoluted sentences--and try to not get angry when someone reads them as written.
- but with my response --I didn't expect anyone to take your tact--on a truism.
If you wrote that in the manner it was written you'd get my response again --you'd get the same response.
Adding now: EVERY person who ever lived on this or any other planet--at times makes BAD Choices.
Argue -a truism ---

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don't know that it would be a wise move for a player to quote Einstein to Geno. If you have the temerity to quote any physicist to Geno, at least quote an Italian like Enrico Fermi.
I don't think it would be WISE to quote Fermi to Geno-- to get out of some practice-it would end in a nuclear explosion.
I know --YOU know--my statement that Danger saying to Geno--practicing Free Throws --doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results--Einstein says that defines Insanity (as stated by a previous poster--which I jumped on--)- was saying the statement --out of context was wrong--people often repeat sayings/statements of famous people (including Geno) without thinking fully what was said.
Repetition is part of the learning process--it also builds in muscle memory--doing the same thing over and over EXPECTING to get different result--and it usually does--NOT Insanity .
If Einstein truly said that--remember he was a physicist/Mathematician--not a psychiatrist way outside of his level of expertise.

But I get your JEST.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
@easttexastrash.

View attachment 23669
With this Mickey Mouse schedule?

LOL. Once again an embarrassing schedule. I think Mulkey knows that with this group of 4 new guards that things will be tough until they get some minutes under their belts. I sure hope that conference play is tough this season, which I think it will be. UT and WVU are going to present a challenge in conference.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LOL. Once again an embarrassing schedule. I think Mulkey knows that with this group of 4 new guards that things will be tough until they get some minutes under their belts. I sure hope that conference play is tough this season, which I think it will be. UT and WVU are going to present a challenge in conference.
ETT, as a Baylor fan, are you concerned at all that this schedule may be setting up the Bears for serious disappointment in March. The tournament selection committee made it very clear this past March that SOS matters. If Baylor stumbles to UCLA or KY and then drops a game or 2 in conference, they could be looking at a 3 seed and a trip to Albany, NY.

Reaction Score
How come the Baylor Bears didn't want to play UConn for a few years and now I think they don't want us to come down to Texas until next season? So weird. Most other schools like ND will play us home and home every year.

Reaction Score
Wow just coming in on this..... Baylor what is up? Kim always plays the patsies unless her team is loaded..... Brenda doesn't play anyone of note either to speak of..... and these coaches are not bad....

Whatever happened to "anyone, anywhere , anytime"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to "anyone, anywhere , anytime"
Well we lost Pat (RIP) to that terrible disease. We still have Geno , Dawn & Muffet-must be a Philly thing -they will scrap with anyone, anywhere ...... Texas had a brutal OC schedule last year so throw in Karen Aston. UCLA's Cori Close really seems to get it and is willing. Scott Rueck at Oregon St. seems willing but without the horses. As much as it pains me to say it Holly and TN are also among the willing. This coalition of the willing is not enough, especially when you have teams like Duke, Baylor, Maryland & Stanford with perennially top 10 recruiting classes that are among the unwilling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well we lost Pat (RIP) to that terrible disease. We still have Geno , Dawn & Muffet-must be a Philly thing -they will scrap with anyone, anywhere . Texas had a brutal OC schedule last year so throw in Karen Aston. UCLA's Cori Close really seems to get it and is willing. Scott Rueck at Oregon St. seems willing but without the horses. As much as it pains me to say it Holly and TN are also among the willing. This coalition of the willing is not enough, especially when you have teams like Duke, Baylor, Maryland & Stanford with perennially top 10 recruiting classes that are among the unwilling.
Well stated, although I might refer to Stanford as "almost willing," as the Cardinal will play just about anyone not named UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom