Baylor Reveals This Season's "Ultra Competitive" Non Conference Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor Reveals This Season's "Ultra Competitive" Non Conference Schedule

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ga Tech wont be a pushover by any means if they do indeed get to matchup in that tourney. They are a top 5-6 ACC and probable NCAA tourney squad in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Well, at least the first five games are at home, which should help the Bears meet the challenge of the Texans, Ichabods (seriously), Lady Cardinals (No, not those Cardinals), Eagles and Sugar Bears. Good preparation for UCLA, Kim.

The 1st two are surely exhibitions.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Ha, don't laugh too hard.. we haven't released ours yet. I don't expect it to be the gauntlet of last year but I think it should still be pretty decent...

Ohio State, Duke, Maryland and Connecticut for sure.. probably 1 more big program besides those 4.. Dawn's not going to beat down a young team.

South Carolina will play USF this year too.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
When I saw the list, I immediately said Baylor should be penalized for this OOC. When you as a Coach schedule easy games during the season, you can't get mad at the players in March, because they fall short to a school who have played a harder schedule.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
But conference schedule isn't going to be a walk on the park.

That's true, but you can't prepare for the rigors of BIG12 play by dining on a steady diet of cupcakes and twinkees. Remember........iron sharpens iron!!!
It's impossible for any team to improve and get better by playing a team that is inferior. There's nothing they can do to help your team improve.
How does beating a cupcake at home by 80 points help your team get better? :confused:

Reaction Score
That's true, but you can't prepare for the rigors of BIG12 play by dining on a steady diet of cupcakes and twinkees. Remember...iron sharpens iron!!!
It's impossible for any team to improve and get better by playing a team that is inferior. There's nothing they can do to help your team improve.

Take a look at UConns schedule 20-25 years ago. It was not exactly loaded with top 15 opponents.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I just can't buy the "rebuilding year" excuse, particularly when you are a perennial top-10 team every year like Baylor. UConn was in a rebuilding year last season, and they took on everybody and anybody and came within a basket of the national finals. OK, I get that UConn is special, but teams like TX & UCLA also step up and schedule tough OOC opponents every year.

If Kim wants to stop "flaming out" every year in March, maybe she needs to start challenging her team in Nov & Dec.

Oldude, 1 like for this comment was not enough, here's 50 more, and two thumbs up!!! It's that difference in philosophy that separates the contenders from the pretenders, and neither is hard to spot. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Great..... Baylor and Maryland bashing in the same thread. All we need now is some UNC and TN bashing in here .... and I will be a happy soul :cool:

Sorry Triad, but it's been a slow couple of months here in the yard. Not much news of any real substance to get excited about. Just a morsel here and there. The release of Baylor's soft schedule is some much needed fodder for those that are seeking something fresh and easy. Something that will raise their eyebrows, and stir their creative juices if you will. It can't get much easier than this. This is a break away layup. :cool:

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I just can't buy the "rebuilding year" excuse, particularly when you are a perennial top-10 team every year like Baylor. UConn was in a rebuilding year last season, and they took on everybody and anybody and came within a basket of the national finals. OK, I get that UConn is special, but teams like TX & UCLA also step up and schedule tough OOC opponents every year.

If Kim wants to stop "flaming out" every year in March, maybe she needs to start challenging her team in Nov & Dec.

You make a credible argument---But you use your base as Uconn--and you know Baylor isn't every going to think uconn!!
And to go further--you add rationality as with Tx or UCLA--we are discussing Kim!!
You, I would think, would believe that Kim does not want to take on the apparently superb Uconn team---and as she did last she jumped at the chance to take on Uconn when the team was DOWN.
Of course --I'm fun---ing you a bit---and trying to make sense out of non-sense. If you have a better EXCUSE for Kim to do as she has--go for it!!..

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Take a look at UConns schedule 20-25 years ago. It was not exactly loaded with top 15 opponents.
Was Uconn a top five team 25 years ago? That was 1992.

Reaction Score
Baylor and Maryland play in quality WBB conferences. They don't need to schedule top teams in the OOC like we do. Their OOC cupcakes are our in-conference cupcakes. Plain and simple really.

HGN

Reaction Score
Kim may feel that she's doing the smaller schools a favor since Baylor has to pay them to take that beating..... Small schools take the game to help make budget.

Kim obviously feel that Baylor will make the NCAA Tournament either way. And once in play their way to the FF......Lower seed and a harder path though.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
That's true, but you can't prepare for the rigors of BIG12 play by dining on a steady diet of cupcakes and twinkees. Remember...iron sharpens iron!!!
How does beating a cupcake at home by 80 points help your team get better? :confused:

I was responding to SC gamecock who said their OCC schedule wouldn't be that challenging but more challenging than Baylors.

I went into the Baylor board and was like wow!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You make a credible argument---But you use your base as Uconn--and you know Baylor isn't every going to think uconn!!
And to go further--you add rationality as with Tx or UCLA--we are discussing Kim!!
You, I would think, would believe that Kim does not want to take on the apparently superb Uconn team---and as she did last she jumped at the chance to take on Uconn when the team was DOWN.
Of course --I'm fun---ing you a bit---and trying to make sense out of non-sense. If you have a better EXCUSE for Kim to do as she has--go for it!!..
FEAR. I am reminded of the look that Kim had at the end of the Regional final vs MS St, when it became apparent that the Bulldogs were more than a match for the Bears. Kim appeared paralyzed with fear and indecision as Vic Schaefer, Morgan William and her teammates were taking down mighty Baylor.

There's no fear to deal with when you're playing Winthrop.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Baylor and Maryland play in quality WBB conferences. They don't need to schedule top teams in the OOC like we do. Their OOC cupcakes are our in-conference cupcakes. Plain and simple really.
According to the NCAA Seletion Committee teams need to have a tough OOC schedule to get a high seed for the NCAA Tournament. It hurt Maryland last season. However, I agree with your reasoning about them having a tough conference schedule.

Reaction Score
Interesting logic. Agree to a point but overall confusing decision to schedule these schools. Baylor's 2nd team provides more competition than these out of league schools. Why bother? No value except to develop bad habits and risk injury.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The BIG was the sixth rated conference last year behind the AAC. MD's weak SOS earned it a 3 seed in the Bridgeport region where they were upset by Oregon.

The Big 12 was the 4th rated conference, just ahead of the AAC. After you get past Baylor, TX and maybe OK, the rest of the Big 12 is fair at best. If Baylor loses a game or 2 as MD did last year, the selection committee will make them pay with a higher seed and a trip somewhere they don't want to be.

As I said earlier in this thread, I would love to see them in Albany,NY in March. That would be Kim's worst nightmare.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Has that been confirmed? How do you know this?

Yes, it's been confirmed. I read about it. At the time of the article, USF and South Carolina were still trying to come up with the date.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom