Baylor Reveals This Season's "Ultra Competitive" Non Conference Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor Reveals This Season's "Ultra Competitive" Non Conference Schedule

Reaction Score
Ha, don't laugh too hard.. we haven't released ours yet. I don't expect it to be the gauntlet of last year but I think it should still be pretty decent...

Ohio State, Duke, Maryland and Connecticut for sure.. probably 1 more big program besides those 4.. Dawn's not going to beat down a young team.

But conference schedule isn't going to be a walk on the park.

Reaction Score
Ha, don't laugh too hard.. we haven't released ours yet. I don't expect it to be the gauntlet of last year but I think it should still be pretty decent...

Ohio State, Duke, Maryland and Connecticut for sure.. probably 1 more big program besides those 4.. Dawn's not going to beat down a young team.

We are not playing Ohio St this year, the home and home series with them wasn't renewed. Maryland, Duke, and Connecticut are for sure on the schedule as well as a potential matchup with Notre Dame (Gulf Coast Showcase). Even Clemson and Savannah St (our usual OOC opponents) are tougher then the majority of Baylors opponents this year. That's a crying shame how weak their schedule is this year!

Reaction Score
No.
When UConn played cupcakes, it would be at home only. Generally, schools pay the opponent a fee to come to their place.
Once UConn moved to the AAC, however, it had to beef up the non-conference sked and good teams/p5 schools will only do home-and-homes.
According to NAN---the fee paid to the CC's is less than minimal. To what she said : I took it to hardly pay for travel, food, lodging--they surely didn't get Uconn type travel accommodation with that fee she stated..
Yes Uconn has often played CC's early in the season--can't recall OOC CC's as the official season progressed. But it's possible. That is above and beyond the League schedules

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While we are all enjoying poking fun at Baylor's schedule, the truth is that it's appalling. It sells short Baylor's fans and players and it sets up Baylor to be shipped off to "God knows where?" as a 3 seed or worse for the Big Dance.

I personally hope to see them in Albany, NY in March.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to NAN---the fee paid to the CC's is less than minimal. To what she said : I took it to hardly pay for travel, food, lodging--they surely didn't get Uconn type travel accommodation with that fee she stated.
Yes Uconn has often played CC's early in the season--can't recall OOC CC's as the official season progressed. But it's possible. That is above and beyond the League schedules
I have actually seen 4 of those checks written by ND, Louisville, Iowa State, & Kentucky to take a beat down. In each case the amount of the check significantly exceeded by like 5X the amount money that the team would generate for the remainder of the season (minus conference tournament games). So I would not describe the checks as " minimal". And it is my understanding that all of that money was to be spent on the WCBB team. So I understand the CC scenario form both ends. But when you pile a cup cake on top of another top , on top of another top-wait that actually sounds good & this schedule is all bad.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I was thinking maybe there was a game with UConn. I see there isn't.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Well, at least the first five games are at home, which should help the Bears meet the challenge of the Texans, Ichabods (seriously), Lady Cardinals (No, not those Cardinals), Eagles and Sugar Bears. Good preparation for UCLA, Kim.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

tenor.gif

JS

Reaction Score
All we need now is some UNC and TN bashing in here .... and I will be a happy soul :cool:
UNC - Ha! I laugh at you. Last classroom most of your players ever saw had alphabet cut-outs on the walls. And they didn't learn those either.

TN - Remember the good times? No? Feel like you're a soft spot on people's schedule? So make the Sweet 16 and build a rep as "competitive." Gotta start somewhere.

There you go, Triad. Happy soul to you.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UNC - Ha! I laugh at you. Last classroom most of your players ever saw had alphabet cut-outs on the walls. And they didn't learn those either.

TN - Remember the good times? No? Feel like you're a soft spot on people's schedule? So make the Sweet 16 and build a rep as "competitive." Gotta start somewhere.

There you go, Triad. Happy soul to you.

Is it too late to add more schools to my list? :p

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Good point.. Didn't Baylor play at UConn last season? Was that just a one and done?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good point.. Didn't Baylor play at UConn last season? Was that just a one and done?
Yes they did play last year. I don't know why they aren't playing this year. I do think when Griner was there. That Baylor played a lot of teams ranked.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, at least the first five games are at home, which should help the Bears meet the challenge of the Texans, Ichabods (seriously), Lady Cardinals (No, not those Cardinals), Eagles and Sugar Bears. Good preparation for UCLA, Kim.

Well a meeting with the Sugar Bears should prepare them well for their matchup with the Bruins later ;)

Reaction Score
While we are all enjoying poking fun at Baylor's schedule, the truth is that it's appalling. It sells short Baylor's fans and players and it sets up Baylor to be shipped off to "God knows where?" as a 3 seed or worse for the Big Dance.

I personally hope to see them in Albany, NY in March.
Yes and no--- I'm not so sure it sell Baylor short. Think that this is a "rebuilding' year, for Baylor. If she has the personnel to bring along slowly her options get better/different---Carnac stated--paraphrasing--Mulkey is a very experienced coach--and not cut from the standard mold, So --knowing Uconn apparently will have an exceptional team, unlike last year where she scheduled Uconn early--she is abiding her time thinking Azura may leave --and this is a training year for her team. Just thoughts--

Reaction Score
Home and Home games with UConn ; game #1 was last season in Storrs, game #2 will be in Wako in the 2018-2019 season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes they did play last year. I don't know why they aren't playing this year. I do think when Griner was there. That Baylor played a lot of teams ranked.
Baylor & UConn agreed to a home & home with Baylor visiting Storrs last season, but the return trip to Waco doesn't occur until the 18-19 season.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Baylor & UConn agreed to a home & home with Baylor visiting Storrs last season, but the return trip to Waco doesn't occur until the 18-19 season.
Ok thanks.

Reaction Score
I have actually seen 4 of those checks written by ND, Louisville, Iowa State, & Kentucky to take a beat down. In each case the amount of the check significantly exceeded by like 5X the amount money that the team would generate for the remainder of the season (minus conference tournament games). So I would not describe the checks as " minimal". And it is my understanding that all of that money was to be spent on the WCBB team. So I understand the CC scenario form both ends. But when you pile a cup cake on top of another top , on top of another top-wait that actually sounds good & this schedule is all bad.
]

I was describing the dollar value Husky NAN provide to me when I posted ---they got 60,000 or so for these games--I believe NAN's value was 17000 --to me minimal to travel, hotel, eat, etc away from home for 2 or 3 days. Hardly 5 times most teams, even Div 3--for any year. To me that 17000 number is MINIMAL.
Don't shoot the messenger--I was posting the correction handed to me when I posted i THOUGHT I HEARD THEY RECEIVED 60,000 MORE OR LESS.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes and no--- I'm not so sure it sell Baylor short. Think that this is a "rebuilding' year, for Baylor. If she has the personnel to bring along slowly her options get better/different---Carnac stated--paraphrasing--Mulkey is a very experienced coach--and not cut from the standard mold, So --knowing Uconn apparently will have an exceptional team, unlike last year where she scheduled Uconn early--she is abiding her time thinking Azura may leave --and this is a training year for her team. Just thoughts--
I'm sorry but I just can't buy the "rebuilding year" excuse, particularly when you are a perennial top-10 team every year like Baylor. UConn was in a rebuilding year last season, and they took on everybody and anybody and came within a basket of the national finals. OK, I get that UConn is special, but teams like TX & UCLA also step up and schedule tough OOC opponents every year.

If Kim wants to stop "flaming out" every year in March, maybe she needs to start challenging her team in Nov & Dec.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom