Baylor does well against Winthrop 140-32 (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor does well against Winthrop 140-32 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"I tried and played tons of people, in and out of the lineup, called timeouts, trying to get people off the floor," Mulkey said.

When they shook hands at the end, Eagles coach Kevin Cook told Mulkey he appreciated her efforts.

"I am most grateful that coach Cook recognized that. Kevin said thank you," she said. "I tried everything I knew to try, because I respect him. But more importantly, I respect the game."

Winthrop vs. Baylor - Game Recap - December 15, 2016 - ESPN
That tells me she is a coach that does not have control of her team. Imagine Stewie and Moriah saying to Geno, "Yeah coach, I just had to take that shot with 25 seconds left on the clock.... what could I do?" Moriah could chime in with "We had to run a press defense, what else could we do?" What a bunch of baloney by Kim. 29 - 0 in the 4th quarter? What kind of cow pucks is she trying to shovel? At least have the nerve to say "My team just wanted to put a beat down on someone and Winthrop was our whipping boy and I had no way to stop it, I'll call Geno and ask him what he does when he could demolish a team by 110 points but doesn't because I don't know how ." At least I could respect her honesty.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn 117 Quinnipiac 20, Dec 27 1998
UConn 118 St. John's 44 Feb. 23, 2001
UConn 101 Long Island 29 Mar 17, 2001
UConn 112 Pitt 43 Jan. 2, 2002

Pick any Providence game

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's not easy to score 140 points. You have to work at that. I realized she used the bench liberally, but there are other things one can do to limit the offensive output. Walking the ball up the court (no fast breaks), use the shot clock, don't take 3's, etc. Even if you are getting the offensive rebounds, no put-backs, run the clock down again.

To get to 140, you gotta try.

If you are going to play the game then do your thing and practice shooting, passing, the entire game. This was the first game after a layoff and the last game before conference play. Mulkey was going to use it to work on specific items and part of that is finishing shots. I don't know if you watched the Baylor vs Tennessee game, but the Baylor bigs, other than Cave, couldn't make a layup. At least they made their layups in this game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn 117 Quinnipiac 20, Dec 27 1998

I doubt if UConn could come close to that today. Quinnipiac has become respectable, having won
their conference regular season title last year and will probably do the same thing again this year.

Reaction Score
I don't dispute that these things sometimes happen and even that they may at times be difficult for a coach to avoid. But that shouldn't stop fans from calling them out: it's a bad thing, no matter who does it. As Rocky says on the previous page, it does the game no good. If that's how one feels (and many of us do feel that way), we should say it.

Reaction Score
It also shows the disparity between the top 25 or so teams and the rest of women's college basketball. This is an extreme case for sure, but looking at scores across the board in WCBB leading up to conference play, there are a lot of blow out scores. We haven't reached the point in the women's game where second tier teams can play competitively with the upper tier teams like we have in the men's game. That will change over time as the level of talent and the number of girls playing basketball from childhood increases.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is no reason why Baylor, SC, ND, MD, et al can't do exactly what UConn does: play a strong non-conference schedule filled entirely with P-5 and/or top 50 programs. In the end, those teams would be better for having done so and the tougher schedule would have little if any effect on their seeding come tourney time.

Reaction Score
It was the first WBB game I ever attended; LT was ranked number 1 and SC was ranked number 2. Mulkey just had an obnoxious nature as a player that I took an instant dislike to.
Here you go - memories.....
upload_2016-12-17_10-33-8.png

Reaction Score
Lynette Woodard is an assistant coach at Winthrop. She was also the captain of the 1984 olympic team that Kim Mulkey played on. They had a nice ceremony recognizing Woodard's career and accomplishments during this game.

Many, of the "cupcakes" that Baylor and many other top programs including UCONN play are because of close ties of the coaching staffs of the two programs. I don't think Baylor or UCONN seek these types of games out, rather they most likely were asked to schedule theses games by coaches they want to see succeed.

You have to give props to Winthrop, they scheduled Florida State, Michigan, Gonzaga, Baylor and Ohio State all in their non-conference season this year. I have no idea how this was a good decision....but Im not a coach.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Could it be that Kim and Baylor are still a little mad about their UConn game . Or what ? Why else do you
unleash the hounds on the little sisters of the poor ?

Even playing the bench you tell the subs to hold until 10 seconds in the shot clock in a game like that. No need to
embarrass a team , school , and coach.

Do you really think that Baylor beat up on Winthrop with thoughts of revenge against UCONN on their minds? This may surprise you, but not everything that every team does revolves around UCONN. Baylor knows it will probably get its chance at UCONN again come April, but until then there are other things to worry about.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There were some interesting connections going in for this game. Mulkey, who is good friends with Van Chancellor, played in the Olympics with Lynette Woodard. The coach for Winthrop was an assistance to Van Chancellor for many years and Van Chancellor was in attendance. Also, they all like Mexican food.

Reaction Score
Do you really think that Baylor beat up on Winthrop with thoughts of revenge against UCONN on their minds? This may surprise you, but not everything that every team does revolves around UCONN. Baylor knows it will probably get its chance at UCONN again come April, but until then there are other things to worry about.

I prefer TexMex food. To answer the question ====Yes Kim was soo irate =angry-miffed--disturbed after losing to an underhanded (some say under staffed) Uconn team--she tried to get the score up to 200 but those dang refs kept getting in the way---!!@#$%%^^
Baylor!

EAST---that was for you---and your belief I dislike Kim and Baylors--I do however still like TexMex--real Mex has my insides still burning from one bite 5 years ago. Green Chilli or stuffed Mex peppers should be outlawed!!

Reaction Score
Winthrop sounds like some nerd with glasses.
I have heard the same said about Luigi....:( :confused: :mad:

Geno Auriemma - Wikipedia

Basically a lower grade school bully term that most would regret once they or their children may need them. ;) No attack Willtalk but no child of any race, creed or color got to chose their name, who or where they were born to or physical handicaps. Actually Robert Charles Winthrop was quite the benevolent, intelligent, successful gentleman. And yes he did wear glasses like many of us.
Winthrop University - Wikipedia

HGN

Reaction Score
ETT , no I didn't really think Baylor beat up on Winthrop with thoughts on UConn. Just kidding the Baylor loyalists. Such as yourself. So don't be so sensitive.

However , as to your second statement whether what every team does not revolve around UConn , on this board everything does revolve around UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn 118 St. John's 44 Feb. 23, 2001
UConn 101 Long Island 29 Mar 17, 2001
UConn 112 Pitt 43 Jan. 2, 2002

I think it's admirable how you try to show how "both sides do it" with 3 examples from 15 years ago. Meanwhile, "Last season, over five successive games, Mulkey’s team won 102-41, 101-60, 99-43, 96-42, 108-64."

Reaction Score
Nice!

"But if the general public was inclined to believe Mulkey’s plea of failed benevolence, the initiated knew better. Mulkey, 15 years coaching Baylor, is known as a stomper. She apparently instructs her recruited student-athletes in the joy and artistry of kicking opponents when they’re way down — in the good name of now-let’s-shake-hands student-athletics, of course."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think it's admirable how you try to show how "both sides do it" with 3 examples from 15 years ago. Meanwhile, "Last season, over five successive games, Mulkey’s team won 102-41, 101-60, 99-43, 96-42, 108-64."
I was actually looking for the Providence game where UConn won 129 to something (Jim Jabir said "We were balled up in the fetal position and they kept scoring") and found those scores. If you want something more recent, how about last year:

Dec 30, 2015 UConn 107 Cincinnati 45 (62 points)
Jan 6, 2016 UConn 95 Tulsa 35 (60 points)
Jan 16, 2016 UConn 104 Temple 49 (55 points)
Jan 20, 2016 UConn 106 UCF 51 (55 points)
Jan 23, 2016 UConn 90 SMU 37 (53 points)
Jan 27, 2016 UConn 94 Tulsa 30 (64 points)
Feb 3, 2016 UConn 96 Tulane 38 (58 points)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Conference games?
:rolleyes:

Mon, Nov 16 @#7 Ohio State, W 100-56 (44 points)
Mon, Nov 23 Kansas State W 97-57 (40 points)
Sat, Nov 28 Nebraska W 88-46 (42 points)
Mon, Nov 30 @Chattanooga W 79-31 (48 points)
Wed, Dec 9 @Colgate W 94-50 (44 points)
Mon, Dec 21 LSU W 86-40 (46 points)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member