Baylor does well against Winthrop 140-32 (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Baylor does well against Winthrop 140-32 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In all fairness, Nan, a 40 point win is not a huge blowout. 140-32 is a whole other dimension; maybe two other dimensions (if you're factoring standard deviations). I appreciate that Baylor might actually have been doing Winthrop a favor in scheduling the game, but Mulkey needed to think ahead about how to play this so it wouldn't look so badly.

Neither side on this issue is going to convince the other. Mulkey's taken some criticism in the press over this. Maybe other coaches have heard about it, too. Going forward now, maybe alpha coaches will give some thought how to play these games a little differently.

Reaction Score
Watching some of the lowlights of this game, two things caught my eye: (1) Baylor still extending its pressing defense out to half court in the fourth quarter; and (2) Baylor repeatedly launching threes. It is quite clear they were determined to run up the score. UConn's modus operandi against teams like Holy Cross and Colgate was totally different.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In all fairness, Nan, a 40 point win is not a huge blowout.
Yeah, it is to 99% of basketball teams. We're used to it because UConn can average 40 point margins of victory but for most teams, any margin than 20 or so points is considered a rout.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I am fine with the criticism of Baylor on the huge blowout, because I too found it distasteful. But I find it equally distasteful that a writer would bring up sexual assault when discussing the women's basketball program. These young women have nothing to do with that so to write an article where they are in any way connected to it is utterly disgusting to me. If you want a chance to take a jab the the university then do that, but not at the expense of a fine group of young women who play their hearts out for the university that they love.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you are going to play the game then do your thing and practice shooting, passing, the entire game. This was the first game after a layoff and the last game before conference play. Mulkey was going to use it to work on specific items and part of that is finishing shots. I don't know if you watched the Baylor vs Tennessee game, but the Baylor bigs, other than Cave, couldn't make a layup. At least they made their layups in this game.
So you are saying this game was getting them ready for conference play???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn 118 St. John's 44 Feb. 23, 2001
UConn 101 Long Island 29 Mar 17, 2001
UConn 112 Pitt 43 Jan. 2, 2002

Pick any Providence game
All games with a much smaller differential, all games that UCONN had no scheduling responsibility.

i.e. irrelevant.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:

Mon, Nov 16 @#7 Ohio State, W 100-56 (44 points)
Mon, Nov 23 Kansas State W 97-57 (40 points)
Sat, Nov 28 Nebraska W 88-46 (42 points)
Mon, Nov 30 @Chattanooga W 79-31 (48 points)
Wed, Dec 9 @Colgate W 94-50 (44 points)
Mon, Dec 21 LSU W 86-40 (46 points)
All of which are less than half the differential of Baylor's game. Half. Think about that.

Games with differentials of 40, 50, maybe even 60 happen because one team is completely outclassed. Games with a differential of 100+, those happen because one team (the winning team) makes them happen.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So you are saying this game was getting them ready for conference play???

It was actually just a GREAT opportunity to get out the frustrations of losing to UCONN. I am surprised that Kim did not ask the Winthrop players if they could wear UCONN player masks so that it REALLY seemed like beating UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
All of which are less than half the differential of Baylor's game. Half. Think about that.

Games with differentials of 40, 50, maybe even 60 happen because one team is completely outclassed. Games with a differential of 100+, those happen because one team (the winning team) makes them happen.

Someone posted this on the Baylor board. Very interesting post-game quotes from Hayes and Moore. Does your theory also apply to 80 point wins?

November 14, 2010

UConn defeats Holy Cross by 80 points

1st - 2nd - Total Score by Periods

30 - 07 - 037 Holy Cross
63 - 54 - 117 UConn

UConn MINUTES Player

30 Faris, Kelly
29 Hartley, Bria
27 Moore, Maya
27 Dixon, Lorin
26 Hayes, Tiffany
21 Walker, Samarie
15 Dolson, Stefanie
15 Buck, Heather
06 Engeln, Lauren
04 Johnson, Michala

Tiffany Hayes “Don’t let up. We’ve been working on that the past two games and this one. Just make sure you come out in the second half with the same intensity, not give up and not let up easy shots and stuff like that. Basically we didn’t want to give them more than what they got in the first half, and we did that.”

Maya Moore
On what it was like to play in a game with such a large point differential

“It feels amazing that we got the job done. It was a good win for us. It was a team effort, so that’s always a good feeling. Anytime you’re on the court, you are either making good habits or making bad habits. I think our team does a pretty good job of staying focused the right amount of focus you have to have for the 40 minutes of a game. You’re either focusing or you’re not. So if we can play game after game, regardless of score, and be focused for 40 minutes, making good habits for 40 minutes and we go to a game where the score is closer, we are going to be just as confident, just as ready, because we know we practiced those good habits, no matter who we are playing.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5 of those players were freshmen and a seldom used sophmore. Two of those rookies were starters ( Hartley & Dolson ) in their 1st or 2nd game. All coaches can control the outcome of a lopsided game by using it to run certain plays Off and def and that goes for all coaches at every level! The best way to avoid it is stop scheduling the teams that you know this is going to happen to. People it is not just Baylor doing this.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Someone posted this on the Baylor board. Very interesting post-game quotes from Hayes and Moore. Does your theory also apply to 80 point wins?
Yes, 67 vs 95 shots. Just because UCONN is much more efficient doesn't change things.

UCONN was avg 57 spg. Baylor was avg 71 spg (and that will go down)

Yea, you really have to try to get to a 100+ differential.

80+ is getting borderline though.

Reaction Score
It was actually just a GREAT opportunity to get out the frustrations of losing to UCONN. I am surprised that Kim did not ask the Winthrop players if they could wear UCONN player masks so that it REALLY seemed like beating UCONN.

I understand the Winthrop players were asked to make barking noises in the second half........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, as in those preseason mismatches, I simply don't understand scheduling non-conference games against such weak teams..............other then pumping up statistics, exactly what point does it serve? That said, I would have had less of a problem with Baylor if they played their entire bench once the lead hit 30 points, ran their regular offense and also just didn't press...........when I coached youth basketball, nothing used to tick me off more then when the other team had a big lead and then started running a weave for the last quarter of the game because they didn't want to run up the score any higher........I found it very insulting...........I would much rather have had their bench players run their regular sets to at least actually benefit from our efforts.....

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I understand the Winthrop players were asked to make barking noises in the second half...:rolleyes:

We actually did have a player at SC, Medina Dixon, that barked at the opposition when on defense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler