Baylor does well against Winthrop 140-32 (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor does well against Winthrop 140-32 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Now Baylor is bad for the game? :)

I agree. I did not get to see the game and I am glad that I didn't. This type of game brings me no pride and joy. Quite frankly, it makes me respect Mulkey a little less that she would schedule an opponent of this caliber.

I'm not a Mulkey fan, going back to 1982, but in her defense, Winthrop was a pretty good mid-major as recently as a couple of years ago. They're located in SC, about an hour from where I live in Columbia.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
One interesting development in this game was that Mompremier did not start for the first time in a long time. Kalani Brown got the start at the 5 and Lauren Cox got the start at the 4. Alexix Jones sat out her second straight game to rest her knee.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Mulkey fan, going back to 1982, but in her defense, Winthrop was a pretty good mid-major as recently as a couple of years ago. They're located in SC, about an hour from where I live in Columbia.
She was the soph PG on La Tech's NC team in 1982. Story?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Vulgar, and just plain silly. This bit of scheduling did not fall to Earth as manna. It was concocted by adults who should have known better.

The vulgar part wasn't what happened after the tip off, it was a vulgar notion before the bus arrived and came to a full stop.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So you decide to post a picture of me napping on the job just because I mentioned Duke and Tenn in the same sentence.:oops:

Let that be a fair warning :mad: .... I'll be watching

:p:p:p

Winthrop is now 1-9. A truly horrible team. Kim did not play anyone over 21 minutes. Very nice game by Cox - she stared and had 23 points. Nice game by Chou as well with 14 points. Believe it or not, Cave was the leading scorer with 25 points. Not sure anyone would have predicted that before the game!

Winthrop plays at Ohio State next week..... and Ohio State will probably be in a bad mood after they get thrashed by UCONN :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

They played in the NCAA's in 2014 out of the Big South Conference. Lost first round vs Duke. I got a friend who is an alumna. Imma call her up an talk some junk about this game :cool:

1982? That is a long time to hold a grudge.

Ive held a grudge since 1978... Think i was in 1st grade then. ... its not that long.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I agree. I did not get to see the game and I am glad that I didn't. This type of game brings me no pride and joy. Quite frankly, it makes me respect Mulkey a little less that she would schedule an opponent of this caliber.
Does Mulkey do home games for her players? If this is a home and home series - junior Dekeiya Cohen is from the other end of South Carolina but maybe she has a lot of family in the Winthrop area.

vowelguy is correct. Geno has played a bunch of lower level teams through the years and UConn was roundly criticized and mocked by some people on another board. Long time Boneyarders will remember those folks' obsession with strength of schedule while UConn fans gushed over Geno's kindness in scheduling home games for his upperclassmen.

Please don't turn the Boneyard into that board. Sometimes I think a loss or two would be better for our board than for the team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Winthrop is the little, shy kid with the lisp in the musical The Music Man. Would he have given up 140 to Baylor? Probably.
That shy little boy is worth about $140 million today. ;)

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score

I'm a UConn fan but follow Baylor basketball, and have a lot of respect for Mulkey. Most schedules are made at least 3 years out, some even longer. A lot can happen in that time (coach changes, player transfers, bad recruiting, etc). I'm not sure why that game was scheduled, but I'm sure it's something the fans will never know. Maybe Winthrop wanted the game?? Maybe Winthrop thought they would be better than they were, a few years ago when this was scheduled? I do know that Winthrop's assistant coach played on the Olympic team with Mulkey. Maybe she called Baylor and wanted to schedule this game. Maybe it was scheduled 3 years ago when no one realized that Baylor's bench would be as good as they are. We can all assume it was Kim's fault since most don't like her, but Winthrop had to say "yes" to this game. I agree that Baylor probably didn't get anything out of it, but maybe Winthrop did. Years ago, UConn scheduled a non-conference game similar to this and it had me wondering...why. Come to find out, the coach from the other team that wanted to play UConn was no longer with the team. She was fired, but that team was still contracted to play.

HGN

Reaction Score
Could it be that Kim and Baylor are still a little mad about their UConn game . Or what ? Why else do you
unleash the hounds on the little sisters of the poor ?

Even playing the bench you tell the subs to hold until 10 seconds in the shot clock in a game like that. No need to
embarrass a team , school , and coach.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's not easy to score 140 points. You have to work at that. I realized she used the bench liberally, but there are other things one can do to limit the offensive output. Walking the ball up the court (no fast breaks), use the shot clock, don't take 3's, etc. Even if you are getting the offensive rebounds, no put-backs, run the clock down again.

To get to 140, you gotta try.

Reaction Score
It's not easy to score 140 points. You have to work at that. I realized she used the bench liberally, but there are other things one can do to limit the offensive output. Walking the ball up the court (no fast breaks), use the shot clock, don't take 3's, etc. Even if you are getting the offensive rebounds, no put-backs, run the clock down again.

I was thinking the same thing, not that I'm criticizing Coach Mulkey for the score. In the second half of blowouts, UConn slows the pace way down. Almost using the full 10 seconds to bring the ball past half court, setting up for the half court, no press, no fast breaks, and no shots until about 10 seconds remain on the shot clock. This is usually when us fans complain about the offense looking terrible. Yes it's often because of the bench, but it's also because of what the coaches want the team to execute. I liken it to Geno limiting his Ferrari to first gear. He knows the car can go fast when needed (in other words transition and piling up points), so there's no point in doing that, and chooses to use the blow outs to teach better passing, cutting to the basket, spacing the floor, setting screens, positioning, inbounds plays, basic stuff like that which could decide big games against big opponents when it counts most.

Reaction Score

Totally agree. Other things to do when it is clearly a slaughter: no shots till at least X number of passes and a 10 second shot clock, etc. The score in this game was unnecessary.

Reaction Score
I can't comment on how the game was played. However, you don't press, you stop shooting 3s, you run your offense until there's almost no time on the clock. Even without seeing the game, winning by 108 points seems excessive. UConn never won by 108 points, even with the "cupcakes" they played. Sportsmanship should be part of any athletic contest, especially when the teams involved aren't professionals.

Reaction Score

That is 3.5 points per minute. A team can score that in a lay-up drill but not much else. :eek:

Reaction Score
"I tried and played tons of people, in and out of the lineup, called timeouts, trying to get people off the floor," Mulkey said.

When they shook hands at the end, Eagles coach Kevin Cook told Mulkey he appreciated her efforts.

"I am most grateful that coach Cook recognized that. Kevin said thank you," she said. "I tried everything I knew to try, because I respect him. But more importantly, I respect the game."

Winthrop vs. Baylor - Game Recap - December 15, 2016 - ESPN

Reaction Score
That is 3.5 points per minute. A team can score that in a lay-up drill but not much else. :eek:
Baylor took 95 shots. Think about how much clock you have to run (or not run) to even be able to shoot that many. Even if Winthrop had zero time of possession, that means Baylor would have been shooting every 25 seconds to get to 95 over 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
When you are up by that many pts in the middle of the 3rd q. You dont play man to man halfcourt trapping defense. I saw that in a highlight on ESPN. Play a standard 23 and stretch no further then 3 pt. line. Play a contaiinment zone and make sure all your players are in the right spots but still playing hard. A perfect time for you to have your bench players play with 1 or 2 starters and work on all your half court defenses especially your match up zones again containment no trapping. On offense work on your half court sets and the shot clock. Run your offense down all the way for a play offensively instead of rushing your shots when it gets to 7 seconds or lower to build that offense to not get frustrated but confidence. Run stuff that you have trouble with from you half court sets until they get comfortable. If it is done this way and you score that many I am find with it.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
It's ok to run down the shot clock trying to practice different situations and not score the basketball, especially in situations like this. Sometimes you don't have to score to practice the game. Scoring in this manner does less for your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom