Battle 4 Atlantis Women’s Bracket | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Battle 4 Atlantis Women’s Bracket

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As out of topic side note. Haley Jones is now out at Stanford for unknown reasons

. Gonzaga up 29 to 18, 5 mins before half
So, that's why they struggled so much at Gonzaga.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So...Oklahoma beat Minnesota by 19 FWIW.

Buffalo up 9 on Syracuse w/ about 6 minutes left.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Buffalo beat Syracuse (that's probably gotta feel pretty good for them, a couple schools from upstate New York, one that gets quite a bit more publicity than the other). Fair scored 34.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Speaking of stats Oregon with 20 to’s in 3 q has led to USF launching 53 shots to Oregon’s 32. A differential of 21. Ouch. Not how you win games
Some thoughts from an Oregon homer:

1) This team has a lot of heart and doesn't give up, so there's a lot to admire in that respect. They were clearly exhausted today--especially Scherr, who seemed to me completely worn down by the responsibilities of running the point for 3 games in 3 days and played the worst game I ever seen from her in an Oregon uniform. I hope she doesn't get discouraged and, just as important, I hope Kelly finds a way to lessen her responsibilities a bit until Rogers (at least) returns. (Hurst seemed to me fully capable of providing some help.)
2) Someone needs to organize a missing person (player) search party for Sedona Prince. I can't remember a 6'7" player with her skill set being able to disappear so easily throughout most, sometimes all, of a game. Don't know why, and I don't know what the solution is, but to say her play has been disappointing is an understatement, to put it mildly: no intensity, no sense of urgency, the list could go on.
3) Like some other posters, I feel good about some of the subs (Pinto, Hurst, especially), and, at full strength, this could be a deep and very good team. But without Sabally (at least) the team we saw today will have to work very hard to beat just about anyone. There is no dependable scorer, no one who can carry the team even for a few minutes, and that makes everything so very difficult and exhausting. Not playing back to back will help, but I am concerned about the mental toll, especially, that will take.

Reaction Score

1) This team has a lot of heart and doesn't give up, so there's a lot to admire in that respect. They were clearly exhausted today--especially Scherr, who seemed to me completely worn down by the responsibilities of running the point for 3 games in 3 days and played the worst game I ever seen from her in an Oregon uniform. I hope she doesn't get discouraged and, just as important, I hope Kelly finds a way to lessen her responsibilities a bit until Rogers (at least) returns. (Hurst seemed to me fully capable of providing some help.)
2) Someone needs to organize a missing person (player) search party for Sedona Prince. I can't remember a 6'7" player with her skill set being able to disappear so easily throughout most, sometimes all, of a game. Don't know why, and I don't know what the solution is, but to say her play has been disappointing is an understatement, to put it mildly: no intensity, no sense of urgency, the list could go on.
3) Like some other posters, I feel good about some of the subs (Pinto, Hurst, especially), and, at full strength, this could be a deep and very good team. But without Sabally (at least) the team we saw today will have to work very hard to beat just about anyone. There is no dependable scorer, no one who can carry the team even for a few minutes, and that makes everything so very difficult and exhausting. Not playing back to back will help, but I am concerned about the mental toll, especially, that will take.
Your second point about Prince hit the nail on the head. Would like to hear more from others about what some are thinking about this point you made because I don't think you or I are alone. When you have younger players that may pass her towards the end of the season there has to be concern. No injury excuses now. I had a neighbor down the street from me that knows more about basketball than I do and he said her basic simple fundamentals are lacking, Not sure what he was referring to but I would take a Lidia Giomi at this point. I kind of feel like she is Graves pet player. Maybe that is too harsh to think that.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering the same thing. Even the basics, like setting screens, court awareness etc., all halfhearted.

Is it possible that the her NIL success and huge Twitter following could be too distracting? Perhaps not everybody is capable of prioritizing such things. I, too, would rather see a Giomi out there, or even a Cochrane.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering the same thing. Even the basics, like setting screens, court awareness etc., all halfhearted.

Is it possible that the her NIL success and huge Twitter following could be too distracting? Perhaps not everybody is capable of prioritizing such things. I, too, would rather see a Giomi out there, or even a Cochrane.
Yes, Do the things on the court first. She may be a little too distracted from NIL and the like. I remember this last summer Graves was saying she could be one of the best in the pac-12. Love Graves but he can jump the gun on things. I am more of a show me first person. Now I remember Oregon State had the great Ruth Hamblin. If she was even close to Ruth Oregon would be scary inside. Is Prince giving 100 percent. At this point it is tough to say. Something is just off right now.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

As a Texas fan who was so excited when a local Austin area player in Sedona had verbally committed (twice) to play at Texas, the one thing that struck me as so odd when following her high school games were her rebounding numbers. For a 6'6 high school player to average only 6 rebounds a game was very perplexing; Austin area high school basketball is not that strong (compared to Houston and Dallas). Conversely, 6'3 Queen Egbo out of the Houston area (playing against much tougher competition) was putting up huge rebounding numbers (like 12 a game, IIRC).

I was always told that rebounding is about effort and competitiveness, and not wanting to be outworked.

Sedona definitely has skills that not all players her size have. But, there is something missing with how she plays the game; I just can't put my finger on what is lacking. It's almost like fans get excited about the skills she has which you don't expect someone of her size to have, but lacks the skills (and natural basketball instincts) you expect a player of her size to bring every game just based on her height.

Reaction Score
As a Texas fan who was so excited when a local Austin area player in Sedona had verbally committed (twice) to play at Texas, the one thing that struck me as so odd when following her high school games were her rebounding numbers. For a 6'6 high school player to average only 6 rebounds a game was very perplexing; Austin area high school basketball is not that strong (compared to Houston and Dallas). Conversely, 6'3 Queen Egbo out of the Houston area (playing against much tougher competition) was putting up huge rebounding numbers (like 12 a game, IIRC).

I was always told that rebounding is about effort and competitiveness, and not wanting to be outworked.

Sedona definitely has skills that not all players her size have. But, there is something missing with how she plays the game; I just can't put my finger on what is lacking. It's almost like fans get excited about the skills she has which you don't expect someone of her size to have, but lacks the skills (and natural basketball instincts) you expect a player of her size to bring every game just based on her height.

It's also something about being able to see and move to the ball and get off the floor.

Reaction Score
Saw this posted on another site and thought it was neat:

After #1 South Carolina's 73-57 win over #2 Connecticut in WBB on the 22nd, the next day MBB #1 Gonzaga defeated #2 UCLA 83-63. It apparently was the first #1 vs #2 matchup for BOTH MBB and WBB on the same or consecutive days since 1982, when MBB #1 UNC beat #2 UVA 65-60, and WBB #1 Louisiana Tech beat #2 South Carolina 71-56.

We've had a LOT of WCBB mediocrity in the years between then and now, so it was kinda cool to see the Gamecocks factor in such a rare distinction in collegiate basketball history..... :p

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Saw this posted on another site and thought it was neat:

After #1 South Carolina's 73-57 win over #2 Connecticut in WBB on the 22nd, the next day MBB #1 Gonzaga defeated #2 UCLA 83-63. It apparently was the first #1 vs #2 matchup for BOTH MBB and WBB on the same or consecutive days since 1982, when MBB #1 UNC beat #2 UVA 65-60, and WBB #1 Louisiana Tech beat #2 South Carolina 71-56.

We've had a LOT of WCBB mediocrity in the years between then and now, so it was kinda cool to see the Gamecocks factor in such a rare distinction in collegiate basketball history..... :p
The USC/Louisiana Tech game was the first WBB game I ever attended.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom