OT: - Baseball is screwed! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
144 kids died from the flu this season in the US before a single person of any age died from Covid, I'm sure you did your "as long as it's someone else's kid not a problem" routine.

This has always been about protecting old and sick people from the virus, spare me the I don't care about sick children stuff.
Initially we did not know who was vulnerable and what were the underlying conditions that increased the probabilities of severe illness or death.

We knew from Italy that their hospital systems were overwhelmed and some people were dying because they couldn’t get admitted. Until researchers could have more time to understand the virus the original argument was to “flatten the curve” to avoid overwhelming our medical system.

The northeast demonstrated who was most at risk. Science began refining our knowledge of this disease. We have eliminated some forms of treatment and introduced others. That understanding has been a major contributor to reducing fatalities even amongst the most vulnerable.

If Americans reacted similarly to South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Iceland, Finland, Canada, New Zealand we would not be having this thread. Add Italy and Spain to that list. Instead we are like Brazil and Mexico.

We have models of how to proceed until there are better medical treatments. The southern and western states have demonstrated that placing economy over the requirements to keep this disease under control is the recipe for destroying the economy.

Reaction Score
Probably as made up as all the “pediatricians” advocating sending kids to school during a pandemic, but here is another view that has not been mentioned:

A therapist’s perspective has been absent regarding children’s mental health in the debate to open schools or not. This is posted with permission from a therapist in Maryland, Jean Ann, LCMFT, RPT, CFPT.

As a child and family therapist, I strongly disagree with the arguments that "schools should reopen for children's emotional health". No version of this situation is good for children's mental well-being, so we are choosing between bad situations here. Calls to open up schools are shorted sighted and illogical. Here are some things bad for emotional health about reopening:

- Children experiencing so much more death of their loved ones, friend's loved ones, and community members.

- Having to obey rigid and developmentally inappropriate behavioral expectations to maintain social distancing for hours at a time.

- Restricting their engagement with their peers even though those peers are right in front of them.

- Having to constantly actively participate in cleaning rituals that keep their community trauma present with them

- Somehow having to have the executive functioning within all of this to meet educational standards and possibly experiencing overwhelm, shame, and self-doubt when they reasonably can't

- Being unable to receive age appropriate comfort from teachers and staff when dysregulated from all of this, thereby experiencing attachment injuries daily.

- Lack of any predictability as COVID takes staff members for weeks at a time with no warning while children wonder if that staff will die as well as the looming threat of going to back into quarantine any random day

Returning to school as things are now is NOT better for children's mental health. It is a complete rationalization by people who are uncomfortable with children not engaging in productivity culture. The majority of schooling NEEDS to stay virtual to protect our children and teachers and to make room for the safe return of the populations of students who actually do need to be in person.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I get it.

I want kids in school too.

But at what cost? At what guarantee of safety and precaution?
if we hold them out now, i would like to have a definitive time when they can go back. when there is a vaccine? zero cases? this letter to our local newspaper has gotten a lot of feedback - bad and good

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I still don’t understand who will be teaching these kids 4 weeks from now when 10% of the teachers have COVID and the remainder are in quarantine???
I had some hope that Abott was finally moving in a scientifically rational manner. I am really sorry to learn of your wife’s and fellow Texan’s predicament. Very little positive comes out of poor or inadequate planning.

I was very concerned when the pediatric association gave the recommendation to get children back to school because of my reservations that a lot is unknown about this virus. I dread this can be a HPV like problem.

But the pediatric association did recommend that the testing percentages in communities come below that arbitrary 5% number. Not sure if they emphasized adequate testing and contact tracing. How many communities in Texas have those conditions? Does your wife’s school system?

Reaction Score
Not at all, how is that full chud? I'm going off of number of deaths, I'm going off docs and scientists, I'm going off of kids in school around the world. You get hung up on the word flu like Nelson does. It's not refutable, the flu is more deadly for children than Covid is. This is about protecting old and sick people, it's not about protecting kids.

The average age of death is around 80 years old, the overwhelming majority of people who die from it have multiple comorbidities. You're the one who threw out death and brain damage, show me the numbers of deaths and brain damage for children.

It blows my mind how little thought is being paid to the damage being done to kids. 4 out of 10 Chicago kids have received no education. You add that to no socialization, abuse at home, missing meals etc. and it's an enormous disaster. It bothers me that many of the same people fighting for social justice are demanding our schools stay closed. Black and brown kids are the ones who suffer the most, further left behind their peers.
Black and brown people are also the ones who suffer the most from Covid so it's a bit of a double edged sword. Sending them to school will facilitate further spread in their family and community.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Probably as made up as all the “pediatricians” advocating sending kids to school during a pandemic, but here is another view that has not been mentioned:

A therapist’s perspective has been absent regarding children’s mental health in the debate to open schools or not. This is posted with permission from a therapist in Maryland, Jean Ann, LCMFT, RPT, CFPT.

As a child and family therapist, I strongly disagree with the arguments that "schools should reopen for children's emotional health". No version of this situation is good for children's mental well-being, so we are choosing between bad situations here. Calls to open up schools are shorted sighted and illogical. Here are some things bad for emotional health about reopening:

- Children experiencing so much more death of their loved ones, friend's loved ones, and community members.

- Having to obey rigid and developmentally inappropriate behavioral expectations to maintain social distancing for hours at a time.

- Restricting their engagement with their peers even though those peers are right in front of them.

- Having to constantly actively participate in cleaning rituals that keep their community trauma present with them

- Somehow having to have the executive functioning within all of this to meet educational standards and possibly experiencing overwhelm, shame, and self-doubt when they reasonably can't

- Being unable to receive age appropriate comfort from teachers and staff when dysregulated from all of this, thereby experiencing attachment injuries daily.

- Lack of any predictability as COVID takes staff members for weeks at a time with no warning while children wonder if that staff will die as well as the looming threat of going to back into quarantine any random day

Returning to school as things are now is NOT better for children's mental health. It is a complete rationalization by people who are uncomfortable with children not engaging in productivity culture. The majority of schooling NEEDS to stay virtual to protect our children and teachers and to make room for the safe return of the populations of students who actually do need to be in person.
The eLearning in our school district was an absolute joke. if kids can't go back to school it must be totally revamped and improved. it was embarrassingly bad

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There is an entire forum for talking actual baseball. Let's keep the baseball talk there. This forum is all about basketball.
The elephant in the room and why this thread relevant is which if any sports will be played going forward. I highly doubt things will be postponed indefinitely. There will be decent treatments moving forward.

The million dollar question is whether the majority of people believe this and if so when they believe it will happen. If the majority of people believe it will never happen we will do as hawk and John argue and learn to live with the disease. If the majority believe it will happen “soon” then people will approach the situation cautiously and this season of sports could be a casualty.

Soon is not going to be the same for all of us.

Reaction Score
Just talked a high school teacher in west haven who is also on city council. They have had to shutdown summer school already for 2 weeks because of a positive case of a student and this is with barely any students in school. They said theres absolutely no way school will make it a full year they are going to have to shut it down 2 weeks anytime there's a positive test of student or teacher. It's just not going to work. Then on top of that the cost to clean/sanitize the entire building after a positive test

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
if we hold them out now, i would like to have a definitive time when they can go back. when there is a vaccine? zero cases? this letter to our local newspaper has gotten a lot of feedback - bad and good

It’s the hardest issue I’ve ever thought about.( and I’ve thought a lot about Israel/ Palestine, another impossible multi faceted issue) There is no right answer. I don’t have it. You don’t have it nobody does.

we have to adjust accordingly on pretty much a daily basis. In the meantime it would be nice if people put on a freakin mask.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I still don’t understand who will be teaching these kids 4 weeks from now when 10% of the teachers have COVID and the remainder are in quarantine???

Schoolhouse Rock just came to Disney. Most of us know more about a bill becoming a law from those episodes than we do from HS civics.

Reaction Score
As to that German study: it is limited in scope
It has not yet been peer reviewed
an most importantly for this discussion. IT RECOMMENDS NO SPORTS as part of the process of insuring safety.

Reaction Score
I had some hope that Abott was finally moving in a scientifically rational manner. I am really sorry to learn of your wife’s and fellow Texan’s predicament. Very little positive comes out of poor or inadequate planning.

I was very concerned when the pediatric association gave the recommendation to get children back to school because of my reservations that a lot is unknown about this virus. I dread this can be a HPV like problem.

But the pediatric association did recommend that the testing percentages in communities come below that arbitrary 5% number. Not sure if they emphasized adequate testing and contact tracing. How many communities in Texas have those conditions? Does your wife’s school system?
While there are areas of Texas that meet that criteria, none of the ones in our area of suburban Dallas do. Our cases, positivity rates and hospitalizations have all been rising. There was a slight leveling the last day or two, but not enough for a trend. Today will be telling and hopefully in the right direction. Someone above asked when the right time is (asked for a definitive date). At this point, I don’t think you can figure that out exactly, but declines in critical stats would be a start, whatever it is that one wants to deem critical, but right now in our area, no stats are declining so it hardly matters.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
And it’s too bad for the Marlins as they had a huge advantage of playing in an empty stadium.
Reporter asked Stanton whether he thought he had an advantage playing with no fans since he'd been doing it in Miami for years. Lol

He said no...

Reaction Score
Just talked a high school teacher in west haven who is also on city council. They have had to shutdown summer school already for 2 weeks because of a positive case of a student and this is with barely any students in school. They said theres absolutely no way school will make it a full year they are going to have to shut it down 2 weeks anytime there's a positive test of student or teacher. It's just not going to work. Then on top of that the cost to clean/sanitize the entire building after a positive test
And this is in a state (CT) that is currently doing great with COVID. The question ultimately as some others have said is at what level will we be ok living with this? Because it’s never completely going away vaccine or not. It will always be around. Like in 3 years when hopefully it is not as prevalent, if a few cases pop up in a large business or a school, how will we handle it?

Reaction Score
I keep hearing about schools must re- open for the social emotional well-being of the children. With what they are proposing in schools please tell me How sitting in school for seven hours a day straight in the same room with your mask on in a stifling hot room and not being able to talk to your friends while the teacher attempts to lecture at the front of the room with a mask on with numerous supposed safety precautions /rules and regulations in place possibly good for the students ? this is traumstic for the students at best and as a current teacher I can’t believe lamont is trying to reopen schools. I actually thought he was kidding when he first announced it back in June This situation is so fragile all it is going to take is one Positive case in one district to shut everything down and God forbid a teacher or student dies. Not worth it. I think Lamont is caving in to pressure from parents who are using schools for their own personal daycare. I admit the virtual learning was not the greatest but is it really that much worse than the current full opening of schools they are proposing? Plus I bet that the virtual learning situation is better in the fall because now we have a better handle on things - no way schools start with a full re-opening - this is crazy.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
When I was a kid we use to play bb with 4 on a team. You would have a pitcher, left fielder, center fielder and ss. Any ground ball hit if thrown to the pitcher before the runner reached first was an out. Batting team supplied catcher No balls or strikes called. I think a foul ball was a strike all the time.

maybe MLB should try this format.
Memories! And these games were played all day long. Bill Monboquette (Red Sox) once opined that hitting wasn't as good as it once had been because none of the younger players had ever had 100 hits in one day growing up. He then described this (all day baseball) as what he was talking about.

As we got older the outfielders were across the streets so there were trees and cars running through the outfield. Good times!

Reaction Score
Memories! And these games were played all day long. Bill Monboquette (Red Sox) once opined that hitting wasn't as good as it once had been because none of the younger players had ever had 100 hits in one day growing up. He then described this (all day baseball) as what he was talking about.

As we got older the outfielders were across the streets so there were trees and cars running through the outfield. Good times!
We used to play double or nothing. Just a pitcher and an outfielder. You could only hit from second base to third base. Hitting to right field was an automatic out. You had to get at least a double. I played with 3 other friends every nice day in CT after school in the Spring until I was old enough to get a job. Great memories.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wish they had cancelled last night's Brewers/Pirates game. Lordy does our bullpen suck.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Screwed? What a gross overreaction. A few players tested positive and are largely a-symptomatic. The death rate for the virus in healthy military age men is zero percent. The commissioner said that they didn’t even have a conference call on it lol. Calm down folks.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Screwed? What a gross overreaction. A few players tested positive and are largely a-symptomatic. The death rate for the virus in healthy military age men is zero percent. The commissioner said that they didn’t even have a conference call on it lol. Calm down folks.

The death rate thing is such a bogus argument, sorry to say ... do you see the Red Sox guy with the heart issues? Do you know what the long term effects are of this disease? Do you think it's ok to keep playing if only 1% of the MLB players die?

Reaction Score
I have elementary-aged kids and I agree with sj.

Likewise. An 8 and 6 year old. Two VERY sensitive girls. I’m scared to death of what is silently growing in their heads as a result of the quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom