B1G | Page 68 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think if things start to get ugly for the Big 12 - and I suspect they will in time - Texas will be free to do whatever it wants.

The Long Horn Network is problematic, but there's always the possibility that it will ultimately fail. If that happens, lord knows what Texas might do.

Go to the Big Ten with Kansas or go to the Pac 12 with OU?

Who knows what the impact of all that would mean for us - I think we're stuck here in purgatory for at least another decade until the television contracts and grant of rights start to expire again.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HFD, at this point I don't expect ANY of your posts to make ANY sense, but seriously where do you come up with this stuff??

I smoke rocks

If TA&M continues to rise, I don't think Texas will be tied to Tech, Baylor and TCU. They would be cut free to float to the top.

KSU and KU might be different.
OU only gets away from OSU when cutting off an arm is necessary to save a life. Without OU, OSU would be sent to a league with Tulsa. Oops Sorry.
Two thoughts regarding KU, OU and Texas to the B1G
One ... the B1G seems to be about eastern expansion at this point, as mentioned above, although would clearly accept Texas if they came calling.
Two ... would a split be feasible, per state legislators, for KSU/KU, OSU/OU and Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor/Texas ?

Fox. Owns more than ESPN worth wise in the b12 media rights but both have a hand. They have to work together to split it up. Fox will get more worth. That could be amount of teams or certain teams worth the most. By ESPN and fox working it kst, okst and tech types will be safe and politics will let it happen as both would find stability and great paychecks.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the acc them add also as ESPN would make as many moves as possible as we all know. Maybe add Baylor and TCU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
they will drop football. so will wake. they wil join the big east together. they will stay in the cic.

Northwestern, a school that has never made the NCAA basketball tournament will drop football - even though they are relatively competitive so they can join a basketball league.

Reaction Score
I think if things start to get ugly for the Big 12 - and I suspect they will in time - Texas will be free to do whatever it wants.

The Long Horn Network is problematic, but there's always the possibility that it will ultimately fail. If that happens, lord knows what Texas might do.

Who knows what the impact of all that would mean for us - I think we're stuck here in purgatory for at least another decade until the television contracts and grant of rights start to expire again.

If UConn can survive that long, the timing might be right. By then the buildout of the university might actually lead to some big gains in academic reputation.

Reaction Score
If UConn can survive that long, the timing might be right. By then the buildout of the university might actually lead to some big gains in academic reputation.

Is it wrong to hope that UConn is going to get a nice boost in USNWR rankings due to recent hiring? I thought I read the criteria at one point and faculty size, quality and student/faculty ratio were very important. If we make a big gain there, we will get great momentum in public perception. I'd love to see us hit the top 15 public universities. No matter what you think of those rankings, they are the major force behind perception.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@upstater - how realistic do you think the scenarios you posted above are in regards to redefining D1 and the scenario you mentioned about the Big5 breaking away.

I understand the schools can do what they'd like in theory, but since there'd be state institutions, like us, left out, wouldn't that raise a big issue?

I figure you have way more of a political insight into these things than most of us.

Appreciate your take.

Reaction Score
This penetration into NYC seems to be getting more and more B1Gers to say "why not UConn to B1G". It makes too much "cents" and people are starting to connect the dots. Check out the comments section...all pro-UConn compared to a year ago when no one was even considering UConn.

the last comment about Rutgers dominating NYC basketball is quite funny. In how many years as a member of the best hoops conference did Rutgers win more than 20 games. so schools like pitt, syr, uconn, uofl, marquette, g'town, nova, and cincy can't generate excitement in bb, but iowa, psu, purdue, and nebraska will.
good luck rutgers.

Reaction Score
Is it wrong to hope that UConn is going to get a nice boost in USNWR rankings due to recent hiring? I thought I read the criteria at one point and faculty size, quality and student/faculty ratio were very important. If we make a big gain there, we will get great momentum in public perception. I'd love to see us hit the top 15 public universities. No matter what you think of those rankings, they are the major force behind perception.

I don't think that will make a big difference at all since 200+ faculty are coming in with thousands of students. A bigger factor (and the weightiest factor in the USNWP) is reputation. UConn is doing a little bit of shock and awe with these hires. Granted, it is a bit smoke and mirrors since it's being done through a huge tuition increase (i.e. most schools in UConn's bracket could do the exact same thing if they decided to) but the key to all of this is the public-private partnerships. In other words, those faculty members will be hired in fields with private partnerships to catalyze high value research and development in the state. Will it work? Only if they invest and research the right things. It's a gamble, but probably not a very big one. SUNY is doing something similar but each of the four SUNY centers are choosing their own specialties (for instance, Buffalo is starting a Rare Earth materials institute -- the sort of natural resources/rare elements that go into making devices like the iPhone and iPad --). Lots of top faculty will likely be persuaded by these opportunities and choose to take jobs at Uconn, especially when salary rises have stalled at almost all other universities. No one's hiring right now--which means salaries stall.

Reaction Score
@upstater - how realistic do you think the scenarios you posted above are in regards to redefining D1 and the scenario you mentioned about the Big5 breaking away.

I understand the schools can do what they'd like in theory, but since there'd be state institutions, like us, left out, wouldn't that raise a big issue?

I figure you have way more of a political insight into these things than most of us.

Appreciate your take.

The easy route is to break away. Too much litigation the other way. BUT, it's also the riskier move too. Because then the SEC has you by the nuts and they can take it all semi-pro. Plus, you might destroy college basketball.

I don't think the presidents have the guts to do anything like this yet, BUT... people are talking about putting ADs in charge instead of the Emmert's of the world. Sorry, but as bad as Emmert is, the ADs will be worse. Never forget that Cedric Dempsey went to work for the Pump Brothers when he stepped down from being head of the NCAA.

They may just stick with the status quo for a while. I was really writing to show the great difficulty the top schools have with icing out the lower schools. They may try to do by attrition, the way some employers try to harass older employees into retiring. So, freeze out the lower schools from the playoffs, starve them of money while you're making $40m a year per school.

Can UConn survive 10 years of this? It better.

Reaction Score
My observations with Big Ten fans is that Maryland and Rutgers were ultimately acceptable because (a) they also added a school that actually draws football viewers (Nebraska) and (b) there's a greater understanding of how the BTN makes money with cable households compared to when the Big Ten first announced that it was exploring expansion 3 years ago. To be clear, though, (a) is extremely important. For a move to be popular with fans, there HAS to be a school added that such fans will want to sit down and watch their teams play football against. There's already a bit of consternation about how the Big Ten West schools are going to be playing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State less often, so to the extent anyone else is added, they had better make it worth seeing those 3 schools even less. A pure market grab without a marquee (or at least upper tier) football brand will not pass muster with the fans for future expansions. This also isn't irrelevant to the financially-minded powers that be, either, as a powerful football brand is still the proverbial golden goose that makes the market-based riches from the BTN possible. Believe me - they're not oblivious to this. (Now, I know that the retort to that is that Rutgers and Maryland are historically terrible at football, but as I've pointed out here, New Jersey and Maryland are the two best football recruiting states in the North that aren't already in the Big Ten footprint, so there IS a very direct football-driven reason for those additions.)

The AAU issue is what ultimately matters the most for the Big Ten, though. I'm not saying that is the correct way for the Big Ten to expand (as I've personally argued for them to grab Florida State), but that is certainly how the powers that be in the Big Ten are approaching expansion. Close or "having a plan" isn't good enough - if you're in the AAU, then you have a chance, but if you're not in the AAU, then you don't have a chance. It's as simple as that (unless you're Notre Dame, in which case all expansion qualification rules go out the window if they're dropping football independence).

Unfortunately, one of the drivers fueling the perceived need for a marquee program is that the Big Ten football product has been really average as of late. The only exceptions being OSU and Wisconsin. The jury's still out on a Nebraska rebound. Everyone else is playing below past performance (except Northwestern!). If the Big Ten had 4-5 teams in the hunt for a national championship they could more easily assimilate an average program. In turn, there is some risk in bringing in a
marquee program that dominates the league, which could actually hurt the established brands by reinforcing what many already suspect.

The good news for UCONN is that fans don't typically drive expansion (Rutgers, Colorado, Utah, Maryland, and Missouri are good examples). If the GOR's stay intact and the B1G leadership has a long term, comprehensive vision, UCONN is at least part of the discussion. Although, I think they would need to perform above expectations in the coming year to provide enough cover for the BiG leadership to add them. If they don't perform well, it will make it more challenging politically. In terms of AAU, UCONN is making down payments but need to keep trending in the right direction. The AAU is a political organization, and if UCONN has the metrics and the B1G feel they add value, it will get done (albeit not nearly soon enough for UCONN fans).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I ask this as someone who doesn't give a damn. Is there a real difference between being 21st and 15th in some magazine's rankings?

Do people actually think a magazine can come up with a legitimate ordinal ranking of schools that are of such similar quality you are splitting hairs?

Reaction Score
Things change. The BTN is about to lose a lot of bball cred to the ACC. As much as people disparage bball revs, they are still probably 20% of the total. The BTN has an achilles heel there. As for NJ and Maryland football, I'd argue that most of those players already go to the B1G anyway. Look at Nebraska, PSU and the NJ pipeline. Maryland and PSU. I'm not sure how much is going to really change now. Seems like a market grab to me.

Is that why RU until " BOB" has out recruited PSU for the last 5/6 years and even poached a few Pennsy kids from PSU?And Neb?They haven't until this year recruited NJ since the Mike Rozier day's "15yrs" ago ?Anthony Davis even told OSU that Ohio kids should play in Ohio and NJ kids should stay in Jersey!!Someone's fact's are outdated tho I'll admit now that RU's going B1G the whole conference is trying NJ again! Let's face it Schiano had NJ practically on lockdown!Let's keep it real, only Michigan,MSU and to a lesser degree PSU has had recent success in NJ!

Reaction Score

Not buying what you're selling. Head to head several years ago, they battled on the WRs, and PSU brought 4 in from Jersey, but that's all I'm going to say since I don't want to start a PSU-Rutgers discussion on a UConn board.

Reaction Score
Nebraska recruiting NJ ?See what perception doe's?Texas has been their bread and butter for year's!!NJ?Maybe 12/15 years ago!!

Reaction Score
What's made you change your tune on this? You had been calling BS on this for a while, citing Nebraska.

That was a long while ago. I quoted an internal AAU memo a year or more ago that stated explicitly they were looking to cull members. When they added my alma mater, Boston U., it seemed the AAU was looking to cull and add at the same time, so I changed my tune.

If you're talking about the B1G adding Nebraska a couple years ago, I was refuting those who said the AAU was an absolute criteria. I never said it was no obstacle to UConn. I simply though it wasn't an absolute criteria. I think even B1G people have said that it is not absolute.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Texas will take an ND like deal with the ACC, go rogue in football (LHN revenues, their historic stature and ~ three ACC opponents each year to add to the annual OU contest during the state fair will resolve any scheduling issues), allowing the ACC to close shop with an even number of participants in all relevant sports.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Northwestern, a school that has never made the NCAA basketball tournament will drop football - even though they are relatively competitive so they can join a basketball league.

U just repeated what I said.

Reaction Score
The easy route is to break away. Too much litigation the other way. BUT, it's also the riskier move too. Because then the SEC has you by the nuts and they can take it all semi-pro. Plus, you might destroy college basketball.

Can UConn survive 10 years of this? It better.

There is absolutely no way UConn's status will remain static for 10 years. Something will give, either better or worse, way before then.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way UConn's status will remain static for 10 years. Something will give, either better or worse, way before then.

You think the university can't take an extra $5 or 6m hit on athletics for 10 years? Look at the MAC.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, one of the drivers fueling the perceived need for a marquee program is that the Big Ten football product has been really average as of late. The only exceptions being OSU and Wisconsin. The jury's still out on a Nebraska rebound. Everyone else is playing below past performance (except Northwestern!). If the Big Ten had 4-5 teams in the hunt for a national championship they could more easily assimilate an average program. In turn, there is some risk in bringing in a marquee program that dominates the league, which could actually hurt the established brands by reinforcing what many already suspect.

The good news for UCONN is that fans don't typically drive expansion (Rutgers, Colorado, Utah, Maryland, and Missouri are good examples). If the GOR's stay intact and the B1G leadership has a long term, comprehensive vision, UCONN is at least part of the discussion. Although, I think they would need to perform above expectations in the coming year to provide enough cover for the BiG leadership to add them. If they don't perform well, it will make it more challenging politically. In terms of AAU, UCONN is making down payments but need to keep trending in the right direction. The AAU is a political organization, and if UCONN has the metrics and the B1G feel they add value, it will get done (albeit not nearly soon enough for UCONN fans).

Fan's don't drive expansion?If your fan's aren't interested why would any conference be interested no matter how big the market??In the Northeast including NE outside of PSU who has more fan's the RU FB?I'd guess Rutgers have more fan's with the possible exception being Missouri on that questionable above list!!

Reaction Score
You think the university can't take an extra $5 or 6m hit on athletics for 10 years? Look at the MAC.

The reduced revenue for the next 5 years will be slightly offset by the exit fee money. The best solution for making up the difference is to increase attendance at games. That goes straight to the bottom line. The last thing you could do and it may be a tough pill to swallow is to play OOC football games for money. That means no home and home series with big name teams. It could add $1 - $1.5M to the departments budget.

The issue is even with the above additional funds, the gap will widen. I think you can survive for 5 yrs without undo harm. After that and you will have to make some serious choices about competition levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom