B1G | Page 69 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The reduced revenue for the next 5 years will be slightly offset by the exit fee money. The best solution for making up the difference is to increase attendance at games. That goes straight to the bottom line. The last thing you could do and it may be a tough pill to swallow is to play OOC football games for money. That means no home and home series with big name teams. It could add $1 - $1.5M to the departments budget.

The issue is even with the above additional funds, the gap will widen. I think you can survive for 5 yrs without undo harm. After that and you will have to make some serious choices about competition levels.

I think they can survive 10 years.

But, as for taking away games, that's a net loss for UConn. Football revenue is significant. Taking a $1 million payday only works for school's that make less than a million. Despite what you may have heard, UConn actually makes a lot of money for football with very high ticket prices and seat donation requirements. And this has been a big complaint for the fans here. Lower the prices, pack the stadium.

A few years ago, UConn could get 35-40,000 for Murray State in a cold driving rainstorm. Now it gets 28,000-30,000 for conference games. There has been a fall off. Ticket prices should be addressed. Lower revenue on ticket prices might offset some of the empty seats and perception problems.

Reaction Score
Fan's don't drive expansion?If your fan's aren't interested why would any conference be interested no matter how big the market??In the Northeast including NE outside of PSU who has more fan's the RU FB?I'd guess Rutgers have more fan's with the possible exception being Missouri on that questionable above list!!

I think he's right. UConn, Maryland, Rutgers in particular are 3 programs not known for having rabid fans. They really don't. But then look at their TV market. All 3 are capable of driving eyeballs to the set from the comfort of living rooms. That's the value right there.

Reaction Score
That was a long while ago. I quoted an internal AAU memo a year or more ago that stated explicitly they were looking to cull members. When they added my alma mater, Boston U., it seemed the AAU was looking to cull and add at the same time, so I changed my tune.

If you're talking about the B1G adding Nebraska a couple years ago, I was refuting those who said the AAU was an absolute criteria. I never said it was no obstacle to UConn. I simply though it wasn't an absolute criteria. I think even B1G people have said that it is not absolute.

AAU membership is not absolute but it is difficult for me to see entry into the B1G without AAU membership.

As I have posted before, I think UConn would be a great addition to the B1G and clearly exceeds the metrics for some schools already in the AAU.
http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf

However, Delany and the B1G presidents have essentially set AAU membership as criteria for consideration so that needs to be the primary goal for UConn as it relates to receiving an invitation to the B1G.

Jim Delany:
''What we focused on and continue to focus on is the quality of the institution,'' Delany said. ''It's membership in AAU.”
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...s-rutgers-will-be-member-of-conference-060313

Sally Mason, University of Iowa President:
“I certainly would have to think long and hard about the merits of something like that,” Mason said of admitting a non-AAU member into the Big Ten. “We’ve been pretty clear about the quality of institutions that we have thought are appropriate to be a member institution of the Big Ten Conference.”
http://thegazette.com/2013/04/30/uis-mason-b1g-expansion-on-hold-at-this-time/

Reaction Score
AAU membership is not absolute but it is difficult for me to see entry into the B1G.

As I have posted before, I think UConn would be a great addition to the B1G and clearly exceeds the metrics for some schools already in the AAU.
http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf

However, Delany and the B1G presidents have essentially set AAU membership as criteria for consideration so that needs to be the primary goal for UConn as it relates to receiving an invitation to the B1G.

Jim Delany:
''What we focused on and continue to focus on is the quality of the institution,'' Delany said. ''It's membership in AAU.”
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...s-rutgers-will-be-member-of-conference-060313

“I certainly would have to think long and hard about the merits of something like that,” Mason said of admitting a non-AAU member into the Big Ten. “We’ve been pretty clear about the quality of institutions that we have thought are appropriate to be a member institution of the Big Ten Conference.”
The good news is that seems to be President Herbst number 1 goal as President. I wonder how much UConn's inclusion in Universita 21, which now includes UMD and Ohio State, will help its cause for AAU inclusion.

Reaction Score
One thing no one has really discussed with the 1.5 billion dollar UCONN expansion and B1G is the plan to expand the Stamford UCONN campus including room and board accommodations. This is obviously a plan to infiltrate the NYC market more and draw more interest from potential NYC candidates.

Reaction Score
AAU membership is not absolute but it is difficult for me to see entry into the B1G without AAU membership.

Jim Delany:

The internal memos from PSU's ex-Prez Graham Spanier to his former university's President in Nebraska, uncovered through a FOIA request, were very telling about the B1G's stance.

Spanier relayed to him that Wisconsin and Michigan were rigging the process to oust Nebraska from the AAU (and this happened a year before Nebraska was even considered for the B1G). In this respect, it was clear that the AAU was not an absolute consideration. The former Pres. of Wisconsin, before she left for Amherst College, said that the subject of AAU affiliation never came up once in discussions to admit Nebraska. I can imagine why. AWKWARD! Clearly, PSU's Prez and Northwestern's knew exactly what was going on behind the scenes, so any discussion of Nebraska's AAU affiliation would have been two-facish--or what we like to call, Fatherleahy-ish.

Reaction Score
I think they can survive 10 years.

But, as for taking away games, that's a net loss for UConn. Football revenue is significant. Taking a $1 million payday only works for school's that make less than a million. Despite what you may have heard, UConn actually makes a lot of money for football with very high ticket prices and seat donation requirements. And this has been a big complaint for the fans here. Lower the prices, pack the stadium.

A few years ago, UConn could get 35-40,000 for Murray State in a cold driving rainstorm. Now it gets 28,000-30,000 for conference games. There has been a fall off. Ticket prices should be addressed. Lower revenue on ticket prices might offset some of the empty seats and perception problems.

That is assuming you play all of your OOC games at home. Since most teams end up playing an OOC game on the road you might as well get paid for it.

Reaction Score
Fan's don't drive expansion?If your fan's aren't interested why would any conference be interested no matter how big the market??In the Northeast including NE outside of PSU who has more fan's the RU FB?I'd guess Rutgers have more fan's with the possible exception being Missouri on that questionable above list!!

Yes, fans can play an active role in making a school desirable. Nebraska is a small state but has a rabid fan base. UCONN is a smaller state, and like Nebraska has a high percentage of fan loyalty (not having pro sport teams or a competing state university helps). My point was in response to B1G fans' desire for a Marquee football program versus adding a university for other strategic reasons. For the ACC and to a lesser degree, the Big 12, football credibility is important (not so in the B1G, SEC, and PAC). The Big Ten has shown that they have broader interests than simply Football. From a revenue standpoint, their research dollars dwarf any media deal out there. With regard to a Marquee program, your example of Rutgers reinforces my point. It was selected for reasons other than the quality of their football program.

Reaction Score
That is assuming you play all of your OOC games at home. Since most teams end up playing an OOC game on the road you might as well get paid for it.

You don't get paid for home and homes. Only one offs.

So far, UConn is still doing home-and-homes with Tennessee, Iowa, Michigan (all pre-BE dissolution) and new ones against BYU and Boise St (maybe a few others, I'm not keeping track).

We'll see how long UConn can keep scheduling OOC home-and-homes, but so far it has worked out for them. I think the schedule is good for the next 5 years. We'll see what the future holds.

Reaction Score
The good news is that seems to be President Herbst number 1 goal as President. I wonder how much UConn's inclusion in Universita 21, which now includes UMD and Ohio State, will help its cause for AAU inclusion.
I think it will help given the opportunity for representatives from UConn to network with representatives from Maryland and Ohio State. The opportunity to collaborate with universities from the B1G is a way interest in B1G membership can be expressed and the value, in this case of UConn, to be appreciated by these B1G universities.

Reaction Score
The internal memos from PSU's ex-Prez Graham Spanier to his former university's President in Nebraska, uncovered through a FOIA request, were very telling about the B1G's stance.

Spanier relayed to him that Wisconsin and Michigan were rigging the process to oust Nebraska from the AAU (and this happened a year before Nebraska was even considered for the B1G). In this respect, it was clear that the AAU was not an absolute consideration. The former Pres. of Wisconsin, before she left for Amherst College, said that the subject of AAU affiliation never came up once in discussions to admit Nebraska. I can imagine why. AWKWARD! Clearly, PSU's Prez and Northwestern's knew exactly what was going on behind the scenes, so any discussion of Nebraska's AAU affiliation would have been two-facish--or what we like to call, Fatherleahy-ish.

I agree with you that AAU is not absolute, and my personal opinion is that it should not be; however, it would certainly provide a much easier route to the B1G for UConn when combined with all the other positive attributes UConn has to offer for B1G membership.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that AAU is not absolute, and my personal opinion is that it should not be; however, it would certainly provide a much easier route to the B1G for UConn when combined with all the other positive attributes UConn has to offer for B1G membership.

I agree that, for UConn, it's a must.

Reaction Score
Yes, fans can play an active role in making a school desirable. Nebraska is a small state but has a rabid fan base. UCONN is a smaller state, and like Nebraska has a high percentage of fan loyalty (not having pro sport teams or a competing state university helps). My point was in response to B1G fans' desire for a Marquee football program versus adding a university for other strategic reasons. For the ACC and to a lesser degree, the Big 12, football credibility is important (not so in the B1G, SEC, and PAC). The Big Ten has shown that they have broader interests than simply Football. From a revenue standpoint, their research dollars dwarf any media deal out there. With regard to a Marquee program, your example of Rutgers reinforces my point. It was selected for reasons other than the quality of their football program.

Reasonable assumption!Good point!!

Reaction Score

Jim Delany:

Good post. I think if the B1G were to offer UCONN they would, at the very least, have to secure support of a pending or future admission from AAU members. It's too soon to give Herbst a thumbs up, but she has moved the needle in the short time she's been here. Developing a plan and securing political support and passage usually takes longer to navigate. USF actually has a published plan to achieve AAU status (below). I haven't seen a published plan from UCONN but it has to be out there.
http://www.ods.usf.edu/Plans/Strategic/docs/Performance-Update-AAU.pdf

Reaction Score
Good post. I think if the B1G were to offer UCONN they would, at the very least, have to secure support of a pending or future admission from AAU members. It's too soon to give Herbst a thumbs up, but she has moved the needle in the short time she's been here. Developing a plan and securing political support and passage usually takes longer to navigate. USF actually has a published plan to achieve AAU status (below). I haven't seen a published plan from UCONN but it has to be out there.
http://www.ods.usf.edu/Plans/Strategic/docs/Performance-Update-AAU.pdf

It doesn't work like this. USF is as far from it as I am from the moon. The committees change year by year. A Nebraska can be assured of its position in the Spring, and ousted in the Fall. There are no guarantees, even once you're in. It's not like an athletic conference. There are strict metrics. Either you meet them or you don't. And even then it all depends on who is leading a committee, because none of the schools in the bottom quartile are going to cross any of the decisions made by schools in the top quartile.

Reaction Score
It doesn't work like this. USF is as far from it as I am from the moon. The committees change year by year. A Nebraska can be assured of its position in the Spring, and ousted in the Fall. There are no guarantees, even once you're in. It's not like an athletic conference. There are strict metrics. Either you meet them or you don't. And even then it all depends on who is leading a committee, because none of the schools in the bottom quartile are going to cross any of the decisions made by schools in the top quartile.

I wasn't stating the case for USF, but if you read the document it provides insight into a lot of the metrics that they perceive as important. Articles published that detail how Nebraska was booted out and how Syracuse bowed out indicate that there is a lot of lobbying that goes on. In terms of strict metrics, many schools currently fall short. The challenge for UCONN and other schools is that the AAU wants to maintain a certain level of exclusivity but at the same time some members don't have the appetite (post Nebraska) to thin out current members that don't conform to standards.

Reaction Score
SU bowed out in the same way Tyler Phommachanh resigned as AD at Rutgers!lol,No alternative!!

Reaction Score
I wasn't stating the case for USF, but if you read the document it provides insight into a lot of the metrics that they perceive as important. Articles published that detail how Nebraska was booted out and how Syracuse bowed out indicate that there is a lot of lobbying that goes on. In terms of strict metrics, many schools currently fall short. The challenge for UCONN and other schools is that the AAU wants to maintain a certain level of exclusivity but at the same time some members don't have the appetite (post Nebraska) to thin out current members that don't conform to standards.

From the memos I've seen, the culling is real and will continue. There's a lot of lobbying, but what I'm saying is that there are no preliminary agreements. There can't be, because there is no commissioner in charge. In fact, one of the ways Nebraska was ousted was for a coalition to table the vote on Nebraska and then wait for the next session when the committee reformed with enough votes to oust it. In other words, each year the decision makers change, and who knows what the consensus will be.

On the flip side, that report by USF fails to mention that a huge source of funds for the research that goes on at USF comes from running the medical center. There are several universities across the country that have an enormous amount tied up in their medical centers, like Cincy, USF and UAB. This is where the bulk of the research revenue comes from. If these revenues were counted as competitive research dollars, schools like UAB and San Francisco and Cincy would already be AAU members. One of the reasons Nebraska was kicked out was because 80% of its research funding came from such non-competitive grants. The AAU will not consider these as research. For the same reason, anything that UConn has going with Jackson Labs, or the med. center, or even the public-private partnerships will not be considered as research revenue. U. Albany, for instance, has had many billions roll into the university, and private partnerships totally $14 billion, but it has no AAU membership.

The AAU will only look at faculty performance (in terms of publications, awards, fellowships) and winning competitive research grants, mainly from national foundations.

Reaction Score
Nebraska is a small state but has a rabid fan base. UCONN is a smaller state, and like Nebraska has a high percentage of fan loyalty (not having pro sport teams or a competing state university helps).

CT's population is actually double that of Nebraska. And while we technically don't have a pro sports team, we really have lots of pro sports teams nearby. Possibly more so than any other university in the nation because of the proximity to two of the biggest pro sports markets in the country/world.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
You don't get paid for home and homes. Only one offs.

So far, UConn is still doing home-and-homes with Tennessee, Iowa, Michigan (all pre-BE dissolution) and new ones against BYU and Boise St (maybe a few others, I'm not keeping track).

We'll see how long UConn can keep scheduling OOC home-and-homes, but so far it has worked out for them. I think the schedule is good for the next 5 years. We'll see what the future holds.
We don't have Iowa but we do have Virginia.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I actually like the idea that a conference would employ non-athletic criteria when weighing out conference membership.

Reaction Score
You think the university can't take an extra $5 or 6m hit on athletics for 10 years? Look at the MAC.

I repeat, there is no way UConn's status remains static for 10 years. Ditto for conference realignment as a whole.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Yes, fans can play an active role in making a school desirable. Nebraska is a small state but has a rabid fan base. UCONN is a smaller state, and like Nebraska has a high percentage of fan loyalty (not having pro sport teams or a competing state university helps).

Actually Conecticut is a much larger state population wise (3,574,097), with nearly double the population of Nebraska (1,826,341), according to the 2010 census.

Reaction Score
I actually like the idea that a conference would employ non-athletic criteria when weighing out conference membership.
I agree with you. A college conference bound, not just by athletic success in the short term, but also academics, research and collaboration, with all universities sharing these values, will not only survive but thrive over the long term. I certainly understand the B1G's desire to utilize AAU membership as a criteria for expansion but hope our presidents do not miss the opportunity to admit universities such as UConn which share these values but simply lack this criteria.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Actually Conecticut is a much larger state population wise (3,574,097), with nearly double the population of Nebraska (1,826,341), according to the 2010 census.

Right. But Nebraska supposedly brings a national following. I don't see it but that's what "they" say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom