B1G | Page 38 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Why is UNC better than UConn for what the Big wants. Here are some problems with UNC. UNC market is not really tied to any other Big schools. It's not close to UVA or MDs markets. The reason why UVA makes sense is because it helps PSU and UMD capture larger shares of their markets+brings more of the Virginia/DC market. UVA is in one of the fastest growing regions in the country. It bring real growth. Ga Tech and UNC are only popular because fans think they are big time. This expansion isn't about the here and now. Its about the future. Uconn sits in a bigger market than UNC. Isn't oversaturated with football teams like NC (5 major programs?). Brings a great BBall program, and most important of all helps get that juicy NYC market the BIG wants.

The fact is the Big loves partners to bring markets. Ga Tech and UNC don't partner well with anyone. They also don't fit the regional makeup of the Big. Anyway you wont be invited till the UMD thing is finished, because UVA can't be moved on till the UMD thing is finished.

I agree, which is why I said "They might give UNC a chance also." It hinges on whether they are willing to go to 18, what Notre Dame wants to do, etc. If UVa/UNC/UConn would bring in ND, and they were willing to go to 18, and the ACC teams had to be taken in a group because UNC would go with B1G or SEC forever at this time while ND would wait until its contract expires to decide, they might go with UVa and UNC and wait on ND/UConn until ND was ready.

But business wise, I think UVa and UConn would be a terrific add for the B1G. And I agree with those who think UNC would choose SEC over B1G, unless there was some kind of state-brokered deal where to ensure both land well, NC State goes SEC and UNC goes B1G.

Reaction Score
I agree, which is why I said "They might give UNC a chance also." It hinges on whether they are willing to go to 18, what Notre Dame wants to do, etc. If UVa/UNC/UConn would bring in ND, and they were willing to go to 18, and the ACC teams had to be taken in a group because UNC would go with B1G or SEC forever at this time while ND would wait until its contract expires to decide, they might go with UVa and UNC and wait on ND/UConn until ND was ready.

But business wise, I think UVa and UConn would be a terrific add for the B1G.
ND isn't going anywhere anytime soon, as long as they have their NBC pimp they will stay independent. One question about UCONN is your stadium size. If you guys get a BiG invite they will demand you expand it. I've heard from pretty reliable sources that they really wanted us to agree to play games in Met. We told them we would do it, but it's not part of the contract so it's at are discretion. They will want the same of you guys. Don't be surprised if you get an invite that a stadium upgrade will be announced with it.

pj

Reaction Score
ND isn't going anywhere anytime soon, as long as they have their NBC pimp they will stay independent. One question about UCONN is your stadium size. If you guys get a BiG invite they will demand you expand it. I've heard from pretty reliable sources that they really wanted us to agree to play games in Met. We told them we would do it, but it's not part of the contract so it's at are discretion. They will want the same of you guys. Don't be surprised if you get an invite that a stadium upgrade will be announced with it.

That's no problem, we would make that deal in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Ruwinning...just wanted to comment on our brief discussion over on the osu board and figured over here would be a better place. That really shocks me you get sny in sj and not btn. My folks are the exact opposite in camden county. I would have though comcast would carry the same channels throughout the market.

Reaction Score
Ruwinning...just wanted to comment on our brief discussion over on the osu board and figured over here would be a better place. That really shocks me you get sny in sj and not btn. My folks are the exact opposite in camden county. I would have though comcast would carry the same channels throughout the market.
Depends on where in SJ, im from Trenton on the border of CJ and SJ. I used to get Philly and New York news. Now we just get Philly, but have always gotten SNY on basic. I'd definately trade it for BTN now though. To put in perspective my areas is like 60-70% eagles, 20-30% Giants/jets. Camden is pretty much the heart of SJ, and basically a Philly suburb.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
...you have a decent home market. + you bring some of Boston.

I laughed when your praise limiter kicked in.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I laughed when your praise limiter kicked in.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

How much influence does UCONN have in Boston? I really don't have any clue, but i've never really seen you guys get associated with it. When I've been to Boston I never really seen much UCONN stuff.

+ I can't be too nice then you guys might start to actually like us Rutgers fans, and we can't have that.

pj

Reaction Score
How much influence does UCONN have in Boston? I really don't have any clue, but i've never really seen you guys get associated with it. When I've been to Boston I never really seen much UCONN stuff.

+ I can't be too nice then you guys might start to actually like us Rutgers fans, and we can't have that.

Probably the #1 basketball school in Boston, maybe #4-5 football after ND, Mich, Ohio State, Penn State, BC.

Thing is a lot of Connecticut kids go to college in Boston or work there but still identify with Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Hey, hey, hey. We need an alliance to continue this rivalry for the time being!

Reaction Score
It's wiki so take it FWIW, neither Rutgers nor MD have an endowment of 1B. They are both larger than ours, so we have some work to do, but maybe the number isn't 1B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference#Endowments[/quote]

This Rutgers figure does not include the 183mm endowment that Rutgers will add to its 698K endowment...now that we've acquired the medical school (UMDNJ)'s endowment.

New total endowment is still below 1B though...at 882mm.

Reaction Score

One thing UConn has "going against it" in this whole endowment race is that we just have less alumni b/c UConn is not as big as any of the schools in the B1G, less alumni = more money per alumni required to get to 1B. Our enrollment is 10k less than the smallest B1G school, and I am pretty sure we are starting to cap enrollment based on our acceptance rate going down in recent years. (NW is the obvious exception, can't really use them when discussing B1G as they are an outlier - a great small private school). I think a more appropriate way to measure on equal footing would be endowment divided by undergrad enrollment, where we are still behind all B1G school (only slightly behind Rutgers and Maryland though). I think our small enrollment for a flagship in general is an uphill battle in getting into the B1G, as it leads to less total eyeballs w/ ties to the school.

Edit - just saw that Nebraska has roughly the same enrollment as UConn. Impressive that they are at $1.2B Endowment. Shows again that it is certainly a plus to be a top 5 historic football program in a area where you are the only game in town.

Reaction Score
Speaking of students, we have the potential to attract the best of New England and New York, at least. We already are attracting the best of CT, at the very least, and I am sure from all over.

Reaction Score
Edit - just saw that Nebraska has roughly the same enrollment as UConn. Impressive that they are at $1.2B Endowment. Shows again that it is certainly a plus to be a top 5 historic football program in a area where you are the only game in town.
That endowment is system-wide, including two other universities with large student populations, their medical school and a couple of others. I can't find a number for Lincoln on its own.

That said, endowments aren't necessarily representative of athletic donations, more actual research grants that are subsequently invested. If you look at this list of schools over $1 billion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment you'll see that there's a fairly even mix of BCS schools and non-BCS schools, even some that are barely D3 schools. 39 are BCS schools, 34 are non-BCS, and I lumped SMU and Tulane in the BCS category.

Reaction Score
That endowment is system-wide, including two other universities with large student populations, their medical school and a couple of others. I can't find a number for Lincoln on its own.

That said, endowments aren't necessarily representative of athletic donations, more actual research grants that are subsequently invested. If you look at this list of schools over $1 billion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment you'll see that there's a fairly even mix of BCS schools and non-BCS schools, even some that are barely D3 schools. 39 are BCS schools, 34 are non-BCS, and I lumped SMU and Tulane in the BCS category.

Thanks for the info, pretty interesting list. Yea I def do not have a wealth of knowledge on what goes into Endowments, was just using the basic area that a lot comes from donations by alumni, which I am not even sure is 100% accurate, and probably varies from school to school.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info, pretty interesting list. Yea I def do not have a wealth of knowledge on what goes into Endowments, was just using the basic area that a lot comes from donations by alumni, which I am not even sure is 100% accurate, and probably varies from school to school.
Donations do contribute to the endowment, but the vast majority of the sheer size of an endowment is largely achieved through how the money is invested. That's why everyone's endowment took a hit during the recession, because the funds they were invested in all went down. They don't just keep endowments in a bank, they're invested in giant wealth management firms to ensure they grow regardless of donation/grant sizes. Part of the reason those BCS schools are even on that list is due to the sheer size of the schools, both from donations, revenues, some tuition, etc.

Reaction Score
The reason I think Uconn will get over UNC is this. NC isn't UNC crazy. They have Duke, NC state, Wake Forest, and ECU in addition t0 themselves. NYC a lone in the metro area has 18.5 million people, and CT is another 3 million. NJ is 8 million and Philadelphia is 5 million metro. NC is only 9 million people. Now if they add Uconn its not about today, it's about tomorrow. Your own argument about why Rutgers wont bring all of our market is exactly why UCONN will be picked over UNC. It's because the BIG won't chance just Rutgers bring all of our market, even 10 years down the line. We just can't do it. Do I think were better than UCONN? Yes. It just isn't reality. NYC is what the BiG wants. 20 million people. Uconn+Rutgers 10 years from now will get that market if they build their base.
Delaney even talks about what they want in future members. Things that UCONN is or will soon be. Honestly UCONN is one of those schools that is young but is investing in itself at a time when most are not. It says a lot.
I don't buy this. Not for a minute.

UNC's following in North Carolina may be divided, but it's one of the few colleges that has a nationwide following. After Notre Dame, I would bet UNC has a bigger fan base than any other school in the country (or at least close to it).

If UConn somehow miraculously gets into the B1G over UNC, it will be because UNC turned Delaney down.

Reaction Score
I don't buy this. Not for a minute.

UNC's following in North Carolina may be divided, but it's one of the few colleges that has a nationwide following. After Notre Dame, I would bet UNC has a bigger fan base than any other school in the country (or at least close to it).

If UConn somehow miraculously gets into the B1G over UNC, it will be because UNC turned Delaney down.

UNC isn't anywhere close to the biggest fanbase in the country. And ND isn't at the top either. Nate Silver wrote on this: http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...NYT+>+Sports)&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimessports

UNC is 5th in the ACC.

That being said I agree with you that UNC is probably the most valuable property in the ACC, and that they would easily get the nod over UConn.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
RUwinning, I agree 100%. Still, there needs to be a partner and if it's UVa, then they'll give ND first option to be #16. They might give UNC a chance also. If neither ND or UNC are willing, then it's possible whatever factors (ACC network?) are tying them to the ACC may keep UVa there too.

I think we end up in the B1G and I would much rather have Rutgers as a rival than any of the ACC schools. But, it may not be in our hands to decide.

RUwinning, I agree 90%. "A solid basketball program"? An all-time top 7 program qualifies at least for "one of the greatest basketball programs of all-time, and one of the top 4 over the last 25 years".

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

But business wise, I think UVa and UConn would be a terrific add for the B1G. And I agree with those who think UNC would choose SEC over B1G, unless there was some kind of state-brokered deal where to ensure both land well, NC State goes SEC and UNC the \\\B1G.

The only way UNC goes to the SEC is if NCST goes with them (extremely unlikely) or if B12 invites NCST (possible). Both schools are controlled by the same public governing authority.

As compared to SEC, B1G brings UNC more money, academic prestige, chance to compete in football and the top spot basketball-wise (hoops centric UNC wont embrace playing second fiddle to Kentucky in SEC). Although its southern fans might prefer culture of SEC, those running the university will prefer B1G.

Once it becomes certain UNC wont have acc to rule down upon any longer when further defections hit, UNC will land softly in B1G.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
from what i read on the eer board, espn was up to some p&d and d&p again today. decided it was a good time after saying cincy and uconn to the acc after 2 teams would leave last week to then say today on cflive that cincy was going to the mwc. fun times, u can't make this up. last week they are about to own cincy and this week they have them playing in the mwc. no no your right, espn isn't with anyone or making any business decisions. they are incocent in all this.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
from what i read on the eer board, espn was up to some p&d and d&p again today. decided it was a good time after saying cincy and uconn to the acc after 2 teams would leave last week to then say today on cflive that cincy was going to the mwc. fun times, u can't make this **** up. last week they are about to own cincy and this week they have them playing in the mwc. no no your right, espn isn't ****ing with anyone or making any business decisions. they are incocent in all this.

Hey HFD, do they put the College Football Live stuff in print anywhere? I would love to see what they are talking about with the Cincy to the Mountain West talk. And again, you know my strong feelings for how the "worldwide leader" has really manipulated the entire realignment game for the last 2+ years, whether people want to believe it or not.

The funny thing is.....all of their "hard work and effort" may end up actually costing them in the end, depending on what happens to the ACC and the Maryland lawsuit....(Karma....it's what's for dinner!)

Reaction Score

I would venture that virtually 0% of any athletic donations are in the endowment. Athletic donations are considered athletics revenue year-by-year, and in some case (the UT Longhorn Foundation, for instance) most of the donors aren't even aware they are only contributing to a yearly athletic revenue fund and not the academic side at all. Research grants also have nothing to do with endowments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom