B1G | Page 37 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
All I was doing was throwing the guy a life raft. We could cut the line anytime!

Ask yourself, "What would the captain of the USS Connecticut want us to do?" ;)

Reaction Score
It's wiki so take it FWIW, neither Rutgers nor MD have an endowment of 1B. They are both larger than ours, so we have some work to do, but maybe the number isn't 1B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference#Endowments[/quote]

As your post shows, all the current B1G have at least $1B in endowments. And if you look across the college landscape, that appears to be the threshold number to be considered "big time". Maryland and Rutgers may have have less, but they bring a lot of eyeballs (or at least cable subscribers). We'll need more in other areas if we can't match them there. You also have to look at the endowments of likely B1G candidates (UVA- $5.2B, UNC- $2.2B, GT- $1.62B).

Herbst is trying to build up the academic side as compared to other schools outside the top 5 conferences so that we get better as an academic institution (our first priority) AND eventually get a seat at the table of big time college sports. I think it's a good strategy...just need to get WM to be more aggressive relative to his peers.

Reaction Score
Maybe if the Boneyard's collective scrotum was bigger and if we weren't a bunch of whining manginas we would be in the B1G.

#USSConnecticut

Reaction Score
What's the timeline on this Maryland 50 million lawsuit? Does anyone have an idea about when it has a chance of happening? Around?

Reaction Score
I believe now though with the addition of MD, RU that the BTN will be able to charge what they want in NJ and the Philly region. The only unknown is how they will get into NYC because Rutgers certainly doesn't deliver the City itself. We will need some help from some other school I believe. A rivalry to really capture it. I think only one school can really help Rutgers to get the countries largest market. You guys are the 3rd closest D1 school other than us and army to NYC. You have one of the largest Alumni bases in the city behind us, mich, and I think PSU. You have a solid basketball program, and you have a decent home market. + you bring some of Boston. This is why I think a lot of people will be surprised in the next 6 months when UCONN is added. It makes more sense than UNC or Ga Tech. This is about TV $ and Uconn+Rutgers=NYC, NJ, CT, and some of Boston and Rutgers+MD+PSU= Philly, SJ Del, and MD. At worst though if you don't get in the BIG you will end up in the ACC I feel. Who is better than you that is left out of the power conferences?

Reaction Score
I believe now though with the addition of MD, RU that the BTN will be able to charge what they want in NJ and the Philly region. The only unknown is how they will get into NYC because Rutgers certainly doesn't deliver the City itself. We will need some help from some other school I believe. A rivalry to really capture it. I think only one school can really help Rutgers to get the countries largest market. You guys are the 3rd closest D1 school other than us and army to NYC. You have one of the largest Alumni bases in the city behind us, mich, and I think PSU. You have a solid basketball program, and you have a decent home market. + you bring some of Boston. This is why I think a lot of people will be surprised in the next 6 months when UCONN is added. It makes more sense than UNC or Ga Tech. This is about TV $ and Uconn+Rutgers=NYC, NJ, CT, and some of Boston and Rutgers+MD+PSU= Philly, SJ Del, and MD. At worst though if you don't get in the BIG you will end up in the ACC I feel. Who is better than you that is left out of the power conferences?

It remains to be seen how the BTN can strong-arm cable in NJ. I am a big doubter on this, but maybe the goal is 10-20 years down the line.

The BTN couldn't raise the cost of subscriptions in a prime area for PSU, and that is Eastern Pa. The addition of Rutgers is not going to sell to these people if PSU can't sell them.

pj

Reaction Score

RUwinning, I agree 100%. Still, there needs to be a partner and if it's UVa, then they'll give ND first option to be #16. They might give UNC a chance also. If neither ND or UNC are willing, then it's possible whatever factors (ACC network?) are tying them to the ACC may keep UVa there too.

I think we end up in the B1G and I would much rather have Rutgers as a rival than any of the ACC schools. But, it may not be in our hands to decide.

Reaction Score
It remains to be seen how the BTN can strong-arm cable in NJ. I am a big doubter on this, but maybe the goal is 10-20 years down the line.

The BTN couldn't raise the cost of subscriptions in a prime area for PSU, and that is Eastern Pa. The addition of Rutgers is not going to sell to these people if PSU can't sell them.
UMD+PSU+Rutgers will get the Philly market. You might be right the BTN might not be able to get the carrier charges it wants right away in NJ which will be basic cable and same carrier charge that it gets across it region. There is no doubt though in my mind it will get it in SJ and Philly when they renegotiate there. They were really close to getting it on basic the last time, and with the addition of the 3 closest competent D1A schools they will be able to. I believe they can get North Jersey too. What I highly doubt they can get this round is NYC. Now if they add Uconn I think there is a much greater chance. Even still the problem with the NYC is it is a HUGE market that doesn't care about college athletics. Though the biggest fan bases in the city are all BiG except for ND and Uconn.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Were due for a rulookinatme post soon
Next post although someone wanting an alliance. So you were kind of right. Since you are prophetic are HFD and RUwinning correct?

Reaction Score
RUwinning, I agree 100%. Still, there needs to be a partner and if it's UVa, then they'll give ND first option to be #16. They might give UNC a chance also. If neither ND or UNC are willing, then it's possible whatever factors (ACC network?) are tying them to the ACC may keep UVa there too.

I think we end up in the B1G and I would much rather have Rutgers as a rival than any of the ACC schools. But, it may not be in our hands to decide.
Why is UNC better than UConn for what the Big wants. Here are some problems with UNC. UNC market is not really tied to any other Big schools. It's not close to UVA or MDs markets. The reason why UVA makes sense is because it helps PSU and UMD capture larger shares of their markets+brings more of the Virginia/DC market. UVA is in one of the fastest growing regions in the country. It bring real growth. Ga Tech and UNC are only popular because fans think they are big time. This expansion isn't about the here and now. Its about the future. Uconn sits in a bigger market than UNC. Isn't oversaturated with football teams like NC (5 major programs?). Brings a great BBall program, and most important of all helps get that juicy NYC market the BIG wants.

The fact is the Big loves partners to bring markets. Ga Tech and UNC don't partner well with anyone. They also don't fit the regional makeup of the Big. Anyway you wont be invited till the UMD thing is finished, because UVA can't be moved on till the UMD thing is finished.

Reaction Score
UMD+PSU+Rutgers will get the Philly market. You might be right the BTN might not be able to get the carrier charges it wants right away in NJ which will be basic cable and same carrier charge that it gets across it region. There is no doubt though in my mind it will get it in SJ and Philly when they renegotiate there. They were really close to getting it on basic the last time, and with the addition of the 3 closest competent D1A schools they will be able to. I believe they can get North Jersey too. What I highly doubt they can get this round is NYC. Now if they add Uconn I think there is a much greater chance. Even still the problem with the NYC is it is a HUGE market that doesn't care about college athletics. Though the biggest fan bases in the city are all BiG except for ND and Uconn.

I really congratulate RU for getting into the B10, but the idea that Rutgers and MD are going to turnover the Philly market (west of the river) when PSU can't by itself is preposterous, to say the least.

I bet 93% of all college football fans east of the river are PSU fans. 3% are Temple fans. 1.5% are Rutgers fans. .2% are MD fans.

The only way they raise the subscription rates is the natural progression of being around long enough to slowly take a bigger and bigger chunk of the pie.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why is UNC better than UConn for what the Big wants. Here are some problems with UNC. UNC market is not really tied to any other Big schools. It's not close to UVA or MDs markets. The reason why UVA makes sense is because it helps PSU and UMD capture larger shares of their markets+brings more of the Virginia/DC market. UVA is in one of the fastest growing regions in the country. It bring real growth. Ga Tech and UNC are only popular because fans think they are big time. This expansion isn't about the here and now. Its about the future. Uconn sits in a bigger market than UNC. Isn't oversaturated with football teams like NC (5 major programs?). Brings a great BBall program, and most important of all helps get that juicy NYC market the BIG wants.

The fact is the Big loves partners to bring markets. Ga Tech and UNC don't partner well with anyone. They also don't fit the regional makeup of the Big. Anyway you wont be invited till the UMD thing is finished, because UVA can't be moved on till the UMD thing is finished.
Now I know what HFD is like when he is sober, takes time to express his thoughts, capitalizes, and spell checks. Hello HFD. Anyways thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts. Some of us have come to the same conclusions you present. As you have experienced with watching all the BE members leave and wondering about Rutgers, UConn fans feel pretty snake bitten at the moment. All of us are hoping for the ACC or the B!G with the overwhelming majority wanting the B!G.

But with the way things have gone most of us are gloom and doom and only a small percentage of us think your scenario has any chance at all. I do and so do those who are on the USS Connecticut!

Reaction Score

UNC has the most recognized college bball team. The Research Triangle area is growing, a big economic engine. UNC is the state's flagship school, a great research university that is highly ranked. In addition, UNC brings a very fertile recruiting territory in comparison to both NJ and CT. Huge advantages over both UConn and RU. Make no mistake, if the B1G could exchange Rutgers for UNC--let alone UConn for UNC--they would!!!

Also, it would help with B1G bball a great deal, and B1G bball is about to lose a lot of luster to the ACC in the coming years. That little fact also recommends UConn to the B1G.

Reaction Score
I really congratulate RU for getting into the B10, but the idea that Rutgers and MD are going to turnover the Philly market (west of the river) when PSU can't by itself is preposterous, to say the least.

I bet 93% of all college football fans east of the river are PSU fans. 3% are Temple fans. 1.5% are Rutgers fans. .2% are MD fans.

The only way they raise the subscription rates is the natural progression of being around long enough to slowly take a bigger and bigger chunk of the pie.

I'm not saying MD or Rutgers delivers Philly itself. I'm saying they boost PSU over the top. In the last round BTN was really close to getting Philly by itself. Heck they probably would have gotten Philly itself in the next round without the addition of us or UMD. PSU is easily the largest fanbase in Philadelphia. SJ is PSU first, and RU second. Though there is a LARGE Rutgers fanbase down here. From living in SJ msot of my life RU of all college fans 25-30% RU 50-60% PSU and the rest are everything else There is no doubt PSU+RU can get the SJ carrier rates. I think PSU delivers Philly this time around though.

Reaction Score

I just need them to know that if we're on the outside, I won't pay a dime for anything. I'd rather drop cable TV and stop watching sports than to contribute the destruction of UConn.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The only unknown is how they will get into NYC because Rutgers certainly doesn't deliver the City itself.
Oh, so NOW you tell us!:D Though I do like the rest of your post...

Reaction Score
I'm not saying MD or Rutgers delivers Philly itself. I'm saying they boost PSU over the top. In the last round BTN was really close to getting Philly by itself. Heck they probably would have gotten Philly itself in the next round without the addition of us or UMD. PSU is easily the largest fanbase in Philadelphia. SJ is PSU first, and RU second. Though there is a LARGE Rutgers fanbase down here. From living in SJ msot of my life RU of all college fans 25-30% RU 50-60% PSU and the rest are everything else There is no doubt PSU+RU can get the SJ carrier rates. I think PSU delivers Philly this time around though.

I don't know how rabid SJ is for college football is. I do know that Eastern PA. is rabid, which is why I'm astonished that Comcast froze them out down there. I don't think the addition of the new schools will make Comcast change its mind, unless in the distant future the BTN becomes something of a national phenomenon. Fox may use leverage to situate it.

Reaction Score
UNC has the most recognized college bball team. The Research Triangle area is growing, a big economic engine. UNC is the state's flagship school, a great research university that is highly ranked. In addition, UNC brings a very fertile recruiting territory in comparison to both NJ and CT. Huge advantages over both UConn and RU. Make no mistake, if the B1G could exchange Rutgers for UNC--let alone UConn for UNC--they would!!!

Also, it would help with B1G bball a great deal, and B1G bball is about to lose a lot of luster to the ACC in the coming years. That little fact also recommends UConn to the B1G.

A lot of what you say is true, but if the BiG really wanted UNC I think UNC would be in the Big right now. Now that is true they have a great BBall team, it is a great school research wise + academically, and is the state flagship.You guys are a great school, going to be AAU in a few years, a flagship, and have a great BBall program. The only thing that UNC has over you is that CT is not a fertile sports ground and it is an AAU now. UNC Football is nothing special.

NJ is the most fertile basketball region and wrestling region in the country, and is pretty good for football.

Reaction Score
A lot of what you say is true, but if the BiG really wanted UNC I think UNC would be in the Big right now. Now that is true they have a great BBall team, it is a great school research wise + academically, and is the state flagship.You guys are a great school, going to be AAU in a few years, a flagship, and have a great BBall program. The only thing that UNC has over you is that CT is not a fertile sports ground and it is an AAU now. UNC Football is nothing special.

NJ is the most fertile basketball region and wrestling region in the country, and is pretty good for football.

Maryland was an easy pickoff. It's a school that has animosity toward Tobacco Road, a school that was losing tens of millions in sports, in a state that was defunding Higher Education.

UNC is not Maryland, and that's why the B1G landed Maryland.

I bet you someone from the B1G took UNC's temperature about such a move, but UNC is not going to move until it has to.

FSU and Clemson to the B1G will not dislodge UNC from the ACC. The only factors that will change things are Virginia to the B1G and/or VT and NC State to the SEC. At that point, UNC abandons ship for the B1G. Or maybe it prefers NC State's spot in the SEC. But either way, the B1G will hold out for that.

Reaction Score
I don't know how rabid SJ is for college football is. I do know that Eastern PA. is rabid, which is why I'm astonished that Comcast froze them out down there. I don't think the addition of the new schools will make Comcast change its mind, unless in the distant future the BTN becomes something of a national phenomenon. Fox may use leverage to situate it.

Exactly, it was amazing what Comcast did, but there is no chance the BTN doesn't bend comcast over now. Whats gonna change Comcast mind is that the BTN won't negotiate for that region like they did last time. They will play hardball, because philly and eastern PA is A) college football crazy and B) PSU crazy. Nobody lives in central PA, all the PSU alum move out. A lot end up in Philly.

Reaction Score
I really think the SEC would be able to convince UNC to go their way instead of the B1G. But time shall tell. UNC fans want to go to the SEC.

Reaction Score
Maryland was an easy pickoff. It's a school that has animosity toward Tobacco Road, a school that was losing tens of millions in sports, in a state that was defunding Higher Education.

UNC is not Maryland, and that's why the B1G landed Maryland.

I bet you someone from the B1G took UNC's temperature about such a move, but UNC is not going to move until it has to.

FSU and Clemson to the B1G will not dislodge UNC from the ACC. The only factors that will change things are Virginia to the B1G and/or VT and NC State to the SEC. At that point, UNC abandons ship for the B1G. Or maybe it prefers NC State's spot in the SEC. But either way, the B1G will hold out for that.
The reason I think Uconn will get over UNC is this. NC isn't UNC crazy. They have Duke, NC state, Wake Forest, and ECU in addition t0 themselves. NYC a lone in the metro area has 18.5 million people, and CT is another 3 million. NJ is 8 million and Philadelphia is 5 million metro. NC is only 9 million people. Now if they add Uconn its not about today, it's about tomorrow. Your own argument about why Rutgers wont bring all of our market is exactly why UCONN will be picked over UNC. It's because the BIG won't chance just Rutgers bring all of our market, even 10 years down the line. We just can't do it. Do I think were better than UCONN? Yes. It just isn't reality. NYC is what the BiG wants. 20 million people. Uconn+Rutgers 10 years from now will get that market if they build their base.
Delaney even talks about what they want in future members. Things that UCONN is or will soon be. Honestly UCONN is one of those schools that is young but is investing in itself at a time when most are not. It says a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom