B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 23 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. The ACC and B1G will always remain an interesting battle but for us, the preferred destination is obvious. The ACC is not a fallback to complain about.

Wow, didn't realize anyone was in a battle for us.

Reaction Score
Things can change. For years UVA didn't want Virginia Tech in. But now that they are it has worked out well for the area and hasn't hurt UVA's recruiting or support.

But Win/Loss in football over the last five years is 24-37. If it hasn't hurt, has it helped?

Reaction Score
But Win/Loss in football over the last five years is 24-37. If it hasn't hurt, has it helped?

That doesn't have anything to do with Virginia Tech. That's all due to Al Groh, and the period of trying to recover from Al Groh.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, expansion seems to be done

We'll see - I doubt it, however. When the B1G and the ACC figure out NYC, UConn will land in either one. Here's to it being the B1G.

Reaction Score
I want UConn in the B1G because the ACC deserves to be a second rate conference with Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I want UConn in the B1G as well....would make a good eastern wing with Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland.

Reaction Score
And UConn, BC, and Cuse in the ACC along with Pitt doesn't make as much sense.

Reaction Score
I want UConn in the B1G as well....would make a good eastern wing with Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland.

Again - we'll see. Long term the B1G is going to be the much more stable conference, IMO. Further, it doesn't have a resentment-causing relationship with ND. That move, in and of itself, cheapened the ACC relative to the other 4 P-conferences.

Reaction Score
Yeah....Notre Dame does carry some baggage with former Big East teams.

And...UConn carries some baggage with ACC teams.

The B1G seems like the best fit for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
UConn is in an interesting position in terms of basketball. If the ACC grabbed UConn, it would forever end any discussion about being the premier basketball conference. It is the premier conference right now. But with UConn, it would seal that distinction.

UConn, UNC, Duke, Louisville, NC St, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, Virginia, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Miami, ND, Clemson, Virginia Tech, BC.

The first 5 teams have won multiple championships.

That would be a much better lineup than Indiana, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn St., Northwestern, Rutgers.

But look what happens in this discussion if you flip UConn to the B1G.

UNC, Duke, Louisville versus UConn, Indiana, Michigan St.

NC State, Syracuse, Pitt versus Michigan, Ohio St., Maryland

Wake Forest, Florida St, ND versus Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue

It's not until you get to the lower tier that the ACC establishes an edge over the B1G.

Virginia, Georgia Tech, Miami versus Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska.

UConn is literally the tipping point between the two conferences.

If the B1G wanted to land a haymaker against the ACC, it would add Kansas and UConn.

The B1G would then become the best bball conference in college ball.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
PITT will not be a power in the ACC unless they can adjust their style of play under Dixon. PITT's bigs play football under the boards and they are recruited that way as well. That is why they generally don't go deep in the Tournament most years. Referees who work games in other conferences don't let the banging go quite a much as the Tim Higgins and Jim Burrs of the Big East and PITT gets into foul trouble.

I don't think Calhoun got quite enough credit for being able to coach multiple styles and using the aggressiveness (or passiveness) of UConn's opponents against them. Ollie seemed to do that as well. Here's hoping it continues.

Reaction Score
I have always thought of the BE as a "physical" basketball conference and Kansas and the Big 12 as more finesse.

Way, way back in the day, Georgetown with John Thompson coaching and Patrick Ewing under the basket, was knocking bodies around. I think that even though that was dcades ago, it set a tone for play.

Kurt Rambis with the Knicks was an embodiement of that eastern style of physical basketball.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I have always thought of the BE as a "physical" basketball conference and Kansas and the Big 12 as more finesse.

Way, way back in the day, Georgetown with John Thompson coaching and Patrick Ewing under the basket, was knocking bodies around. I think that even though that was dcades ago, it set a tone for play.

I'd rank the former six power conferences like this in terms of Physical -> Finesse:

Big East
Big Ten
Big 12
SEC
ACC
Pac 10

Reaction Score
I'd rank it far differently.

While Duke and UNC win titles with shooters...they have bangers as well. Guys like Hansbrough and the Plumlee brothers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'd rank it far differently.

While Duke and UNC win titles with shooters...they have bangers as well. Guys like Hansbrough and the Plumlee brothers.
Maybe switch the ACC and SEC, but that is my opinion.

Reaction Score
In the last several title games....

Louisville wins over Michigan...Michigan was fairly robust physically, Louisville countered with speed, passing and shooting

Kentucky over Kansas....Kansas was less physical

UConn over Butler....UConn was much more muscular

Duke over Butler....ditto

UNC over Michigan State.....Tyler Hansbrough was tough to move out

Reaction Score
In the last several title games....

Louisville wins over Michigan...Michigan was fairly robust physically, Louisville countered with speed, passing and shooting

Kentucky over Kansas....Kansas was less physical

UConn over Butler....UConn was much more muscular

Duke over Butler....ditto

UNC over Michigan State.....Tyler Hansbrough was tough to move out

I would say that UConn was more athletic than muscular. Remember, our top defender in the paint was Roscoe Smith that game, and he was a skinny twig. UConn also beat Kentucky and Arizona with superior athleticism. Kentucky had guys like Terrence Jones and Harrelson at PF. While UConn had Oriakhi and Oriakhi played great in the F8 and F4, it was Roscoe Smith who was the defensive star in the championship.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
PITT will not be a power in the ACC unless they can adjust their style of play under Dixon. PITT's bigs play football under the boards and they are recruited that way as well. That is why they generally don't go deep in the Tournament most years. Referees who work games in other conferences don't let the banging go quite a much as the Tim Higgins and Jim Burrs of the Big East and PITT gets into foul trouble.

I don't think Calhoun got quite enough credit for being able to coach multiple styles and using the aggressiveness (or passiveness) of UConn's opponents against them. Ollie seemed to do that as well. Here's hoping it continues.

Plus, without a significant NY presence (which it has already begun to lose) Pitt won't be able to mine NYC for its talent as much.

Reaction Score
I would say that UConn was more athletic than muscular. Remember, our top defender in the paint was Roscoe Smith that game, and he was a skinny twig. UConn also beat Kentucky and Arizona with superior athleticism. Kentucky had guys like Terrence Jones and Harrelson at PF. While UConn had Oriakhi and Oriakhi played great in the F8 and F4, it was Roscoe Smith who was the defensive star in the championship.

Lamb was a pretty good co-star on the perimeter. Gave Mack all sorts of problems with his length. Mack chucked in a couple tough, but harmless, threes in the last two minutes (and one at the half over Beverly) to make his final stats look a little better, but Lamb locked him down.

Reaction Score
I've been many times, and I know it's a steeple chase, but most of the times I never saw a horse. I was too busy partying. Good stuff!

Virginia is big time horse country. There are steeple chase events all over the state in the spring and fall. The Commonwealth Cup Polo Match between the Virgnia Commonwealth Polo Association and the British Forces Polo Foundation is held every September. The Farm and Stables where Secretariat was born and raised is now the site of the State Fairgrounds.

I think that the NCAA now has an equestrian sport for women. I would not be surprised if UVA along with 3 other ACC schools added it at some point especially with Louisville joining.
NJ is bigtime horse country too....

Reaction Score
i can tell you from growing up in Brooklyn, living in Long Island, and working in Manhattan, that Syracuse is much more popular then UConn and Rutgers in NYC.
c'mon - send that ridiculous New York Post link to that laughable "fan" study...i'm just waiting for it.

Uconn's best hope, and best chance for longer term success and winning, is still the ACC - one way or another. The ACC powers don't give a rat's rear what BC wants. Ask Missouri how it feels to be teased and teased by the B1G.

PS - enough with all the references to "Ped" State. It's such a nasty thing that happened there, creeps me out even typing about it. No need to keep bringing it up on a sports msg board.
You're full of bull sheet....Ive spent most of my 64 yrs here and Cuse is a FB corpse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom