B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 22 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What might be fortunate about being UConn is we can also leave the B1G for the ACC. I don't see any reason, though. We can schedule ACC out of conference.

Would be pretty messy with the GoRs & CIC integration though.

Reaction Score
My thought exactly. Only a teenager would bother coming to another team's board to foolishly troll all day and night. Why does he/she do it? Because we're UCONN. I highly doubt he/she is spouting off on Cincinnati's board. Just put the kid on ignore.

He can both read and write (is functionally literate) and as such is probably not even a "ville" alumni.

Reaction Score
My thought exactly. Only a teenager would bother coming to another team's board to foolishly troll all day and night. Why does he/she do it? Because we're UCONN. I highly doubt he/she is spouting off on Cincinnati's board. Just put the kid on ignore.

He can both read and write (is functionally literate) and as such is probably not even a "ville" alumni.

Reaction Score
Apparently both the Big 10 and ACC are much farther from NYC dominance than they'd like. I just received an email from Ticketmaster offering a 40% discount on tickets to the Penn State - Syracuse game at Met Life Stadium using the rather pessimistic sounding offer code "PUNT31".

Reaction Score
Apparently both the Big 10 and ACC are much farther from NYC dominance than they'd like. I just received an email from Ticketmaster offering a 40% discount on tickets to the Penn State - Syracuse game at Met Life Stadium using the rather pessimistic sounding offer code "PUNT31".
On PSU's board I read they expect 80% of the crowd to be for PSU and ticket sales at SU are awful?I know for USC last year at Metlife Cuse only had about 18G fan's out of 38,500(announced?) or so who showed up for a bigtime draw while RU was 16 miles away playing Howard U in front of 50G+ fans at the same time!

Reaction Score
As I wrote last fall, the Big Ten's addition of Rutgers and Maryland was motivated more by its existing product than either of the new members. While Rutgers gives the Big Ten a boost in the New York/New Jersey market, the real victory is being able to showcase bigger products like Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State more often. New York has the University of Michigan's third largest concentration of alumni outside of Detroit and Chicago. Ohio State has more alumni in New York than any other out-of-state region except for Washington D.C./Northern Virginia. Penn State has nearly 30,000 alumni in the New York-New Jersey market.

The Big Ten has made not only New York, but the entire northeast corridor its top priority in the next few years as it starts the process of negotiating what will be a massive new television contract.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/category/_/name/big-ten-conference
Except that Rutgers doesn't have an audience in NYC or anywhere for that matter.

Reaction Score
I have never been up the east coast further than Baltimore...I would like to visit NY city one time for a football game. It is on my bucket list. I may have to just visit without football in order to check it off.

Heck, it has been 25 years since I have last seen snow....I just bought a mountain cabin in western NC as a vacation home and I am hoping to go up there this winter if we get some snow. New York around the holidays, say Thanksgiving, would be a great trip.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have never been up the east coast further than Baltimore...I would like to visit NY city one time for a football game. It is on my bucket list. I may have to just visit without football in order to check it off.

Heck, it has been 25 years since I have last seen snow....I just bought a mountain cabin in western NC as a vacation home and I am hoping to go up there this winter if we get some snow. New York around the holidays, say Thanksgiving, would be a great trip.

Uconn is playing Army at Yankee Stadium in 2014.

Reaction Score
Except that Rutgers doesn't have an audience in NYC or anywhere for that matter.
When SU was on ESPN in primetime playing ranked WVU and RU was on the "U" at the same time on the same night RU playing another unranked BE team tripled them(1.75/0.61 on Neilsons in NYC viewership about 2 years ago and always has "since "05" done so!SU can't even grab their home State but RU gets theres NJ,NYC and chunks of Pa!No one watches SU FB locally let alone nationally and their recruiting reflects that as all there FB recruits are RU scraps!

Reaction Score
Plus NJ alone is bigger than NYC representing a HUGE DEMO in its own right even if they didnt have 1 NYC viewer which we all know is bogus as RUFB is #1 in NYC over even ND!!

Reaction Score
b
btw,whose your powerhouse rooting interest that you presume to speak for my home city?I bet whoever it is you seem to be motivated by an agenda as anyone whose local (except Cusefans) know RUFB in NYC is #1 even though only 3% of NYers (according to ?)are CFB fans but if thats the case why the fuss over NYC by the conferences?Why all the research paid for that you claim to be an expert in?Why don't you offer the B1G and the ACC your expertise?

Reaction Score
Two years ago Rutgers and Army played at Yankee Stadium before 30K. With 15K coming down the Palisades from West Point and 15K coming up the Turnpike from NJ, that leaves about 25 Rutgers fans in NYC that bothered to take the 4 or 6 train to the stadium.

I'm being slightly facetious, but for all the bluster, there's little real evidence that there's significant interest in Rutgers on the East side of the Hudson.

Reaction Score
Good Luck with that 65 years in the NE was enough winter for me.
I'll be in Cabot in Dec

Just get dressed well and you'll be fine. Temp should be 35 at worst in November. Likely better. I regularly watch December games in 15 degrees, and if you get dressed for it, you don't even feel the cold.

Reaction Score
Two years ago Rutgers and Army played at Yankee Stadium before 30K. With 15K coming down the Palisades from West Point and 15K coming up the Turnpike from NJ, that leaves about 25 Rutgers fans in NYC that bothered to take the 4 or 6 train to the stadium.

I'm being slightly facetious, but for all the bluster, there's little real evidence that there's significant interest in Rutgers on the East side of the Hudson.
Like I said?Whose your rooting interest that you think so little of the #1 NYC CFB team?Can you show a worthier FB school for the NY market?BTW there were 30G RU fans at that Army game even tho Army was supposed to be the home team!Wheres Armys national built in base?Also RU and L'ville led the conference in attendence no matter how your gonna spin it!

Reaction Score
Like I said?Whose your rooting interest that you think so little of the #1 NYC CFB team?Can you show a worthier FB school for the NY market?BTW there were 30G RU fans at that Army game even tho Army was supposed to be the home team!Wheres Armys national built in base?Also RU and L'ville led the conference in attendence no matter how your gonna spin it!
Yankee stadium btw is a terrible field for football and thousands of RU fans say they refuse to go there to watch....bad views,overpriced and the field breaks up into chunks!West Point is maybe the best place for a fall FB game except its slightly isolated!Whats your major interest in RU FB that you seem to follow them so closely Knibblesonchips?

Reaction Score

Wheres the evidence to the contrary?Hasn't the long study done by the B1G into RU's value and acceptence put that old baby to bed?....Tell us more oh drunk uncle Bout the good old glory days.

Reaction Score
Whats an ACC FB title worth?Uh OH I think W.Va just scored again!!Can you say over rated?........@I live in Cos Cob whats your deal?Why would I as an RU fan have to kiss anyones ?Im here cause Im an eastern FB fan but I find you with a guilt complex knowing your conference made DUMB moves or just a common T.

As an aside, does anyone in Cos Cob (Greenwich, for the uninitiated) know you are "NickyNewark?" If so, it's another example of UCONN's FF County problem.

Reaction Score
b

btw,whose your powerhouse rooting interest that you presume to speak for my home city?I bet whoever it is you seem to be motivated by an agenda as anyone whose local (except Cusefans) know RUFB in NYC is #1 even though only 3% of NYers (according to ?)are CFB fans but if thats the case why the fuss over NYC by the conferences?Why all the research paid for that you claim to be an expert in?Why don't you offer the B1G and the ACC your expertise?

Honest to God! I had no idea of Rutgers popularity up there. This has been educational to me.

In my neck of the woods way down here in Tallahassee, we never hear of Rutgers nor really see Rutgers in a big match up. Rutgers is like the tree that falls in a deserted forest.

If I hadn't tuned into this board, I would never have known that Rutgers had such a viewing audience.

Reaction Score
Honest to God! I had no idea of Rutgers popularity up there. This has been educational to me.

In my neck of the woods way down here in Tallahassee, we never hear of Rutgers nor really see Rutgers in a big match up. Rutgers is like the tree that falls in a deserted forest.

If I hadn't tuned into this board, I would never have known that Rutgers had such a viewing audience.
Actually I finally found someone to put on ignore.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I guess things could be worse. In my neck of the woods we don't hear much about Tallahassee. Hear a lot about Gainesville however. :)

Reaction Score
Honestly...We do not have much coverage of Rutgers down here at all.

And you guys probably don't open the paper and read about Troy and UAB...which do receive coverage here.

We also don't get much coverage of Indiana, Iowa State, etc...only Michigan, Ohio State or whoever is in the Big Ten big boy seat that year.

No reason to get everything in a wad...I really had no idea that Rutgers was NY's team. While I knew that Rutgers was in New Jersey, nobody here talks about Rutgers and NY. We all say that NY and New England are NFL guys more than college. That is the word on the southern circuit, rightly or wrongly.

Reaction Score
I guess things could be worse. In my neck of the woods we don't hear much about Tallahassee. Hear a lot about Gainesville however. :)

LOL...How I know...I was sitting in the Shoe in Columbus when the stadium announcer kept referring to us as "Florida".

Reaction Score
Yankee stadium btw is a terrible field for football and thousands of RU fans say they refuse to go there to watch....bad views,overpriced and the field breaks up into chunks!West Point is maybe the best place for a fall FB game except its slightly isolated!Whats your major interest in RU FB that you seem to follow them so closely Knibblesonchips?

You are embarrassing yourself. The attendance was 30,028 (sorry, I undercut your NYC attendance by 3), so there is no way that Rutgers brought anywhere near 30,000 fans despite the game being about one mile from NJ and 40 miles from campus.

As for the Big 10's study, it clearly wasn't dependent on Rutgers popularity East of the Hudson. It was based on getting Michigan, OSU, Penn State, etc. regular exposure in the NYC market. If Rutgers was truly popular there they would have been able to carry the market for the Big East and the league, which gained very little from Rutgers membership, might still be around.

As for my interests, they aren't particularly relevant to this discussion, but they are UConn (flagship U. of my adopted state), Cornell (alma mater) and Army (several relatives).

Reaction Score
Honestly...We do not have much coverage of Rutgers down here at all.

And you guys probably don't open the paper and read about Troy and UAB...which do receive coverage here.

We also don't get much coverage of Indiana, Iowa State, etc...only Michigan, Ohio State or whoever is in the Big Ten big boy seat that year.

No reason to get everything in a wad...I really had no idea that Rutgers was NY's team. While I knew that Rutgers was in New Jersey, nobody here talks about Rutgers and NY. We all say that NY and New England are NFL guys more than college. That is the word on the southern circuit, rightly or wrongly.

We've had more coverage than we want to have here lately. Basketball Coach yelling at his players with gay slurs. New Athletic Director calling her women's basketball players sluts and whores at a former school. Athletic Director gets fired. I'm actually tired of hearing about Rutgers. It's died down some now, but the constant barrage of this stuff was annoying.

As for sports, this past year Rutgers played Virginia Tech, who gets on TV around here, in a football game. It's probably the only time I've seen Rutgers shown in the sports bars around here. I don't think I've ever seen a Rutgers basketball game on TV not that I've sought the games out. And Saturday is my day to go to the sports bar and watch many college football and basketball games all afternoon long when I can. And there are a lot of people who live in the Richmond area from New Jersey.

I have seen a lot of Connecticut coverage especially with basketball, both men's and women's. Football not so much. Sometimes on Friday night they come on for football.

We get a lot of Temple basketball coverage around here too. It's primarily because Richmond and now VCU are in the Atlantic 10. We'll see what happens when Temple moves to the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom