B12 and ACC on the clock! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

B12 and ACC on the clock!

Reaction Score
Thanks, that made that easy. For what it’s worth immediately after mentioning that the big 12 got calls from Connecticut and Memphis after it said that it was “open for business” he then goes on to comment “I’m not sure that’s gonna happen.” So, yeah, I mention, but almost immediately afterwards a dismissal.

Of course, since the supposed phone call, we’ve won another national championship. I’m not sure if that makes us materially more desirable, though it sure seems like it should. He does go on to say that the big 12 is looking to have games starting at 12 PM eastern on the East Coast right up through night games on the West Coast. We sure seem like a good fit for that noon slot.

I have to say that I am kind of “meh” about the big 12 rumors. Yeah, if we could get full membership and a full share, it would dramatically help the athletic department financially. I’m just not sure how much a “national conference“ moves the needle for our Fanbase, myself included. Probably just AAC PTSD talking though.

Football wise the B12 is much better than the old Big East we were in until 2012, so no problem there.

Big 12 basketball IMO is just as good as the current Big East it's just doesn't have local teams/traditional rivals for us to play, but there are very good basketball programs in that conference, led by Kansas and Houston.

Bottom line a B12 o$$er cannot be turned down and the fans would just need to get used to new conference rivals. traditional rivals can be played out of conference.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Football wise the B12 is much better than the old Big East we were in until 2012, so no problem there.

Big 12 basketball IMO is just as good as the current Big East it's just doesn't have local teams/traditional rivals for us to play, but there are very good basketball programs in that conference, led by Kansas and Houston.

Bottom line a B12 o$$er cannot be turned down and the fans would just need to get used to new conference rivals. traditional rivals can be played out of conference.
I agree with all of that. It doesn’t mean I am looking forward to the bulk of the games in that conference.

Reaction Score
If we go ACC I foresee the conference collapsing within a year and we'll be stuck with Georgia Tech, BC and Wake Forest and forced to combine with the AAC to form the American Athletic Atlantic Coast Conference.
I see a new member of the rule 1 club

Reaction Score
Has this been posted? Ignore Guiffre head coaching spot since we know it was Loose Panels.

That article referenced this article, which I had not seen before.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Supposedly, the Big 12 is into East Coast outreach with stuff like their deal with the Rucker league. If they were serious, they take UConn, put the B12 tourney in Barclay and UConn will sell it out for them. Done and done.

Reaction Score
Supposedly, the Big 12 is into East Coast outreach with stuff like their deal with the Rucker league. If they were serious, they take UConn, put the B12 tourney in Barclay and UConn will sell it out for them. Done and done.
Agreed. As long as we don't get bounced early. Plus Kansas would hate it.

Reaction Score
This is interesting idea. They might even want to have B12 play some baseball games at Citifield and football games at MetLife

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My brother in law is a big FSU guy. He thinks the B12 is going to approach UConn but is being very quiet about it so the ACC doesn’t make a move. He feels the ACC is such a mess right now that even if the commissioner wanted to add UConn, he couldn’t. He thinks FSU and Clemson would simply say, “What’s in it for us?”, and it would go nowhere.

He’s probably right. The ACC likely can’t make anything happen without doing something for the disgruntled members in terms of uneven revenue or releasing them from the GOR.

Reaction Score
If the ACC takes anyone...it is because they not only pay their way in revenue earned but add additional revenue to the ACC media package....and bolster football.

With FSU already documenting that they bring in twice the revenue of ACC average...and Clemson right behind, both donor schools...there would be an automatic two "no votes" for programs not meeting that criteria and they would bring some other no votes with them....do not really need another Duke or UNC (particularly with the huge possible revenues to come under the CFP playoffs..and particularly if they expand to 16 teams and the P2 work it so that individual schools playing in the playoffs bring in big monies...knowing they will have maybe three of four teams in the CFP with 16.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is interesting idea. They might even want to have B12 play some baseball games at Citifield and football games at MetLife
As long as they are away games or neutral for UConn.

It might be cool to do a mini tournament there or at Yankee Stadium during a road trip for the MLB teams. I wouldn’t mind if they rotated it annually one on the East Coast, one on the West Coast, and one Midwest/central.

CL82

Reaction Score
My brother in law is a big FSU guy. He thinks the B12 is going to approach UConn but is being very quiet about it so the ACC doesn’t make a move. He feels the ACC is such a mess right now that even if the commissioner wanted to add UConn, he couldn’t. He thinks FSU and Clemson would simply say, “What’s in it for us?”, and it would go nowhere.

He’s probably right. The ACC likely can’t make anything happen without doing something for the disgruntled members in terms of uneven revenue or releasing them from the GOR.
Yeah, except that FSU and Clemson have a GOR and aren’t going anywhere in the near term. After 2036, they’re likely not staying anyway.

Reactions: DGB
Reaction Score
Yeah, except that FSU and Clemson have a GOR and aren’t going anywhere in the near term. After 2036, they’re likely not staying anyway.
That’s my point. Nothing is happening in the ACC unless uneven revenue shares or a release from the GOR come with the deal. So basically, the ACC isn’t adding UConn or anyone else.

Reaction Score
That’s my point. Nothing is happening in the ACC unless uneven revenue shares or a release from the GOR come with the deal. So basically, the ACC isn’t adding UConn or anyone else.
How about adding UConn and maybe other schools to increase the total paid for TV rights because viewers want to watch champions.

Reaction Score
Add UConn. Give them half a share and split the other half among FSU and Clemson. Problem is North Carolina will want some more and then NC State will want more etc etc.

Reaction Score
Add UConn. Give them half a share and split the other half among FSU and Clemson. Problem is North Carolina will want some more and then NC State will want more etc etc.

We would take a half share from the SEC or B1G, but half of what the ACC makes, while an improvement, would still stink. Maybe a temporary half share that leads to a full share.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Should the B12 offer, it will be interesting to see if the ACC scrambles with a proposal of their own...especially if there is enough time in the period between word of the offer and full acceptance.

But in the meantime this P12 situation needs to resolve itself and then we can get on with the show! The B12 wont be doing anything until that is settled.

Reaction Score
How about adding UConn and maybe other schools to increase the total paid for TV rights because viewers want to watch champions.
Who says people want to watch champions? The B1G basically never wins at anything and makes big time money just because the schools are massive and churn out 100k new alumni every year that will dutifully watch the games and buy all the crap advertised during.

CL82

Reaction Score
You realize that the GOR just grants the broadcast rights of the existing team to the conference, right? It doesn’t prevent any additions to the conference. Tomorrow, if ESPN decided it was willing to pony up to pay for a pro rata share for Connecticut, it could. Add some nominal increase to that pro rata share, and you probably will have enough votes for the addition.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If adding us (basically a basketball addition) would generate a sufficient revenue increase to move the needle for members of a currently 15 school basketball conference we would be able to write our own ticket anywhere.

CL82

Reaction Score
half share nonsense. But if ESPN wants to pay a premium and direct, all of that to whomever the conference directs, that’s fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom