B12 and ACC on the clock! | Page 15 | The Boneyard

B12 and ACC on the clock!

Reaction Score
UConn Research Surges to Record Level

We are working on it, but a long way to go to get to B1G levels

“UConn puts a great deal of attention and work into the support and cultivation of its research, and we have many reasons to be optimistic based on our trajectory in recent years that this growth is a trend that will continue,” says Radenka Maric, UConn’s Vice President for Research, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship.

And now consider Radenka is the full time UConn president now. The emphasis on research is even stronger now… And she’s willing to play hardball with Gov Lamont over funding, even threatening to remove UConn sports from the XL center if need be.

Reaction Score
And now consider Radenka is the full time UConn president now. The emphasis on research is even stronger now… And she’s willing to play hardball with Gov Lamont over funding, even threatening to remove UConn sports from the XL center if need be.

I posted this in the Basketball forum, but the only way for UCONN to get a B1G invite is get football firing on all cylinders, joining the B12 would accomplish that mi$$ion as Mora combined with the B12 would bring football to heights we have never seen before. Then we become attractive to the B1G.

The B12 is a necessary steppingstone on our path to the B1G.

Reaction Score
UConn, USF and Temple are the only former Big East football schools not in the P5 (if that term even still exists). UConn has been connected to rumors of a Big 12 invite. USF would make a logical travel partner in the Big 12 for UCF. Is Temple screwed no matter what?

The other former schools in what is now the P5: Tulane, Rice, SMU. All 3 could end up in the PAC 12, depending on additional defects from the PAC 12.

Now that Rice is joining the American, all 6 of those schools have been American schools, with 5 still in the American.

Reaction Score
This is a big thing that would work in UConn's favor. If Yormark looks at a UConn program with excellent hoops and sees an opportunity to invest to make football more valuable in a good market area he'd make the move... for all sports. Which is exactly what UConn needs.
Great point. At the moment CT and New England in particular (sorry BC and even Holy Cross and UNH at the FCS level) isn’t a great college football market - we're definitely more geared towards pro football, but as the halcyon days of the Big East showed, there is great potential in this market to become one. With the exception of the Rentch needing maintenance and an overhaul, UConn has in the background created B12 and even B1G worthy training and game day facilities. The notion of market growth and converting fans to viewers of the B12 league has definite appeal in a state that doesn't have a major league franchise of our own to root for and UConn is that de facto entity.

As for the NYC, UConn is maybe equal to or better than Rutgers, which is significant in terms of raw numbers but not percent of that space that would watch these football games. The basketball brand carries more weight to that area with the prestige of the Men's and Women's programs at astronomical levels.

Reaction Score
FSU is playing the same role Texas played in the Big12.…A team with a huge media following/alumni base and which allegedly is worth a ton of conference money yet consistently underproduces on the field and court. And, just like Texas, FSU is latching onto “the conference is holding us back” excuse instead of owning their failures.

At this point, for the football powers in the ACC, it’s a “pump and dump.” They don’t care about the long term survival of the ACC and their only goal is to get as much as they can before they can get out and move to a
P2 league. Unfortunately, for FSU and Clemson “as much as they can” in the ACC will never equal the BIG/SEC.

Nothing destroys a conference faster than members no longer vested in its long term existence/success. The ACC is in that spot now. And the worst kind of divorce is one which publicly plays out over years.

Grab your popcorn, it’s going to be a full show watching the ACC tear itself apart.
Definitely a lot of truth in your post. One of the reasons that this current version of The Big 12 has a chance to be stable is the lack of “better” options for its current members.

It’s imperative that these schools all work together in order to obtain the best deal that they can. No 2-4 programs are carrying the water for the conference in the way that it is happening in The ACC and PAC.

No one is suspicious of the actions of any other member as they each realize that it’s Big 12 or bust for all of them. Imagine being WF or Syracuse right now. Would you take anything that FSU or Clemson says at face value? Same with UW and UO in The PAC.

Reaction Score
Definitely a lot of truth in your post. One of the reasons that this current version of The Big 12 has a chance to be stable is the lack of “better” options for its current members.

It’s imperative that these schools all work together in order to obtain the best deal that they can. No 2-4 programs are carrying the water for the conference in the way that it is happening in The ACC and PAC.

No one is suspicious of the actions of any other member as they each realize that it’s Big 12 or bust for all of them. Imagine being WF or Syracuse right now. Would you take anything that FSU or Clemson says at face value? Same with UW and UO in The PAC.
Even more, would you trust Pitt?

Reaction Score
I’ve seen different numbers for potential revenue by league. Can someone comment on what they have seen. I have the following, but not sure its reality.

BE: Current - 6M, Potential - 8/9M
B12 - 30M up to 50M with CFP and NCAAB payouts
ACC - 30M until the GOR expires in 2036

Reaction Score
I’ve seen different numbers for potential revenue by league. Can someone comment on what they have seen. I have the following, but not sure its reality.

BE: Current - 6M, Potential - 8/9M
B12 - 30M up to 50M with CFP and NCAAB payouts
ACC - 30M until the GOR expires in 2036
I think every conference's total payout would be enhanced by CFP (obviously not the BE) and NCAAB payouts as well as escalators in the baseline tv rights. Not sure how accurate but there's this...

Reaction Score
Everybody be happy…we are in a great conference now

The BE is simply a one dimensional conference. The history of the BE begins in Providence and it was dominated by a small, Catholic safety school that doesn't even field a football or baseball team. Because of the small school bias, the conference never embraced development into a P-5 conference that it might have been. (Anybody remember Penn State?) UConn is much more than a typical BE member and needs a real conference to prosper!

We need out and can't be very choosey (except no AAC!).

Reaction Score
I think every conference's total payout would be enhanced by CFP (obviously not the BE) and NCAAB payouts as well as escalators in the baseline tv rights. Not sure how accurate but there's this...

WOW!!

So based on that site, if we can get into the B12 we would theoretically receive 50 Million, plus CFB and NCAAB in 2028. Anyone who has voted no to date, should consider changing their votes.

Hypothetical: You make 75K a year in CT and someone offers you 500K a year plus bonus but you need to travel via air and stay in a hotel 3 days a week, who says no? Btw, I’ve done the air travel around the country for 20+ years.

Reaction Score
WOW!!

So based on that site, if we can get into the B12 we would theoretically receive 50 Million, plus CFB and NCAAB in 2028. Anyone who has voted no to date, should consider changing their votes.

Hypothetical: You make 75K a year in CT and someone offers you 500K a year plus bonus but you need to travel via air and stay in a hotel 3 days a week, who says no? Btw, I’ve done the air travel around the country for 20+ years.
No, that's total payout, including CFB and NCAA credits.

Reaction Score
No, that's total payout, including CFB and NCAA credits.

50 is still ALOT and a deal sealer as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there is alot more behind the scenes both short term and long term plans than we'll ever know, but let's go and look down the road too. We need to Improve steadily and make an even bigger name for Connecticut. That will put us in the driver seat and be wanted, rather than always be the plan B

Reaction Score
50 is still ALOT and a deal sealer as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there is alot more behind the scenes both short term and long term plans than we'll ever know, but let's go and look down the road too. We need to Improve steadily and make an even bigger name for Connecticut. That will put us in the driver seat and be wanted, rather than always be the plan B

Exactly. The Big 12's future payouts will be equal to, if not slightly higher, than the B1G's and SEC's current payouts (pre-new TV deal).

Reaction Score
From the BY Football recruiting board:

@huskymedic - 1 Oklahoma QB and 3 Texas QB offered in past week
@Huskyforlife - I mean… it likely is just coincidence, but what else could have the staff so confident suddenly we should be in play for these kids?

Where there is smoke…

Keep an eye on the number of commits, right now it stands at just two for 2024. If it stays at a low number, possibly a sign that Mora is raising the standards on who we offer and keeping our powder dry. Our last commit had several P5 offers.

I salivate thinking what recruiting would be like if we had Mora recruiting to the B12, especially in the portal era. No doubt we would be all over Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems we've always struggled for acceptance in a chicken or egg purgatory. Are we unattractive to a P-5 Conference because our football is substandard and can't achieve P-5 level status, or, would elevation to a P-5 Conference be the catalyst to sign better recruits/portal transfers and make the huge difference required in our performance. I always believed in the latter. And with Jim Mora it could happen. Imagine if we are "conditionally destined" for the Big 12, and word of that is being whispered in recruiting circles, I can see Mora convincing an elite QB to be the guy to lead us to greatness. Big NIL opportunities await the next "Dan Orlovsky" type guy who wants to bleed blue, create excitement and hear a full stadium cheering his name.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Jersey Score podcast ranks UConn as No. 1 Group of Five expansion candidate for ACC. Host calls it a "slam dunk." Others include Navy, Tulane etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom