B12 & ACC seeking an alliance? | The Boneyard

B12 & ACC seeking an alliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“It’s purely exploratory,” said Bowlsby

Yeah right, the ACC looks scare, they're in a position of weakness, not a good place to be when negotiations begin.

It's funny how things come full circle, I believe Tranghese tried to work out the same deal with the ACC a fews back. Hey Swofford, hope you squeal like a pig.

Reaction Score
New info from S w a i m today indicates that the Big 12 is going to be required to go to 12 teams for the playoffs. That might be why there's all this talk about expansion from Bowlsby lately.

Maybe the Big 12 and ACC are working together, and the Big 12 is promising not to take more than the 2 teams they need for the playoffs. Then the Big 12 would have 12 and the ACC would have 12. At that point, the ACC could sign a GOR, assuming Florida State was gone and there was no one else left who didn't want a GOR. No more expansion for the Big 12 or ACC.

Now, let's spin this positively for UConn! The Big Ten would have no choice but us as #15 or #16.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That would be a pure disaster for us.

Reaction Score
Someone wake me up when this nightmare is over... I'm going to sleep...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm just impressed that they seem to create new nightmare scenarios for us.

It's like they're trying to impress us.

Reaction Score
If there is something positive for us in this I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm just conditioned to conference reallignment news kicking Uconn in the ass.

Reaction Score
It's ND, the big 12 still thinks they can get them to join, the ACC hopes they will join and the big 10 just doesn't care anymore.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing I don't understand. How does this really help the Big 12? They need to add 2 teams to get to a CCG. Forming an alliance does not address this.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing I don't understand. How does this really help the Big 12? They need to add 2 teams to get to a CCG. Forming an alliance does not address this.

Uh, ya think? It's only talk of an alliance, when the talking is done, the big 12 and the acc will have reached the same conclusion... then it's going to get ugly for one conference.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The B1G and Pac-12 were ging to do something similar and then scrapped it. I expect the same to happen to this if it ever comes to fruition.

Reaction Score
If there is something positive for us in this I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm just conditioned to conference reallignment news kicking Uconn in the ass.

Maybe the four are the Big 12, ACC, PAC-12' and BE 6.whatever.

One can lick the Husky Head blotter acid - no?

Reaction Score
I think this is the absolutely worst case scenario for UConn. If the Big 12 and ACC partner up, then the chances of the Big 12 taking a team from the ACC falls dramatically and so does UConn's chance to be invited to the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think this is the absolutely worst case scenario for UConn. If the Big 12 and ACC partner up, then the chances of the Big 12 taking a team from the ACC falls dramatically and so does UConn's chance to be invited to the ACC.

And the OOC scheduling opportunities go in the crapper more so...

Reaction Score

Tell me, why does the big 12 have to pair up with the acc, when they can just take what they want? The big 12 needs two teams, the acc has 14 teams. Do the math.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm just impressed that they seem to create new nightmare scenarios for us.

It's like they're trying to impress us.

untitled.png

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Did anyone read some of the comments on that article? Someone suggested that if this happens then none of the "Power 5" conferences need to schedule games against any other conference outside of those 5. That same person ten went on to suggest that the NCAA Tourney could then be cut down to 48 or something odd....I had to laugh because there's no shot UConn or Cincy ever gets left out of that in basketball.....

While I agree that this news isn't positive.....I just don't see it happening. There's always money or need to play schools that you can beat. If the playoff's are driven by a committee, you can't make a schedule of all powerhouse schools....you need some cupcakes from C-USA, NBE, MWC, etc....

Reaction Score
Did anyone read some of the comments on that article? Someone suggested that if this happens then none of the "Power 5" conferences need to schedule games against any other conference outside of those 5. That same person ten went on to suggest that the NCAA Tourney could then be cut down to 48 or something odd....I had to laugh because there's no shot UConn or Cincy ever gets left out of that in basketball.....

While I agree that this news isn't positive.....I just don't see it happening. There's always money or need to play schools that you can beat. If the playoff's are driven by a committee, you can't make a schedule of all powerhouse schools....you need some cupcakes from C-USA, NBE, MWC, etc....

The whole point is UConn and Cincy would get shut out, because the now BCS schools would go their own way and cut ties with the NCAA totally. This is why many of us point out that joining forces with the CYO7 is the equivalent of joining division I-AA in football.

Reaction Score
The whole point is UConn and Cincy would get shut out, because the now BCS schools would go their own way and cut ties with the NCAA totally. This is why many of us point out that joining forces with the CYO7 is the equivalent of joining division I-AA in football.

For that to happen, the power conferences still need more teams and its highly unlikely that UConn gets left out. You do bring up a good point in that if for some chance UConn is left out then folding the football program all together and just focusing on basketball may be UConn's best option. UConn is where it is today because of the success of both basketball programs so why dilute that and our brand to keep a money sucking football program in a weak league, playing weaker competition with no real chance to upgrade.

Reaction Score
For that to happen, the power conferences still need more teams and its highly unlikely that UConn gets left out. You do bring up a good point in that if for some chance UConn is left out then folding the football program all together and just focusing on basketball may be UConn's best option. UConn is where it is today because of the success of both basketball programs so why dilute that and our brand to keep a money sucking football program in a weak league, playing weaker competition with no real chance to upgrade.

You totally missed my point. Folding up football is the end of UConn basketball.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Texas is behind this alliance plan because they really, really don't want to expand the Big 12.

Any development is bad news other than UConn getting invited to the ACC or B1G. That's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom