B12 & ACC seeking an alliance? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B12 & ACC seeking an alliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the Big 5 ever decided to freeze out the rest of the leagues, every President of every university would risk criminal penalties.

Reaction Score
You totally missed my point. Folding up football is the end of UConn basketball.

I got your point. Being excluded from a power conference and playing the likes of Tulane, East Carolina, and Tulsa is the end of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
I think Texas is behind this alliance plan because they really, really don't want to expand the Big 12.

Any development is bad news other than UConn getting invited to the ACC or B1G. That's just the way it is.

Agreed. But lets try to be optimistic. From all this realignment chatter to reading between the lines of KOs recent quote, lets just pray that is right around the corner. I really do believe it is. I just can't for the life of me see a scenario that leaves us on the outside looking in with all that UConn has to offer.

Reaction Score
I got your point. Being excluded from a power conference and playing the likes of Tulane, East Carolina, and Tulsa is the end of UConn basketball.

Playing G'town, Nova, Butler, etc., is the end of UConn basketball in that scenario.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Playing G'town, Nova, Butler, etc., is the end of UConn basketball in that scenario.
If the big 4/5 conferences split off from the NCAA (especially for football, who knows if all other sports can remain being governed by the NCAA) and UConn isn't with them, we are done anyway. Choose your poison.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Before the Big 12 was formed, the Big 8 and SWC conference were considering an alliance...

See this article from 1990:

http://newsok.com/swc-weighs-big-8-alliance/article/2319646

Shortly after this the Big 8 invited Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor to form the Big 12.

If I were the ACC, I would hope history doesn't repeat itself.

It will. Bowlsby is just trying to manage public perception, so when the Acc schools join, he can say B12 evaluated all other options prior to leading the raid that contributed to acc's downfall.

Reaction Score
Before the Big 12 was formed, the Big 8 and SWC conference were considering an alliance...

See this article from 1990:

http://newsok.com/swc-weighs-big-8-alliance/article/2319646

Shortly after this the Big 8 invited Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor to form the Big 12.

If I were the ACC, I would hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Hmmm - you sound like a special someone :)

M H ver3 8:50am via Web
OMG OMG! Scheduling alliance with the ACC?????WTF?Has Bowlsby gone MAD???Chill everybody, theres a reason the acc was the only one mentioned

M H ver3 8:51am via Web
fwiw, this is an old SWC trick from back in the day

Reaction Score
Is this alliance - if it even happens - really going to make a school say no to the B16 or SEC when they come knocking at the door? I understand why UNC may say no to the B16 (cultural), but would they really say no to the SEC if it came knocking?

Isn't it possible that news of this possible alliance getting leaked only further speeds up the appetites of the B16 or the SEC? Wouldn't the two Goliaths want to keep potentially raid-able schools to stay away from signing any contracts that may get them more money and more comfort regarding their OOC schedule?

I want the ACC to get it's ass kicked. For one, because I hate the ACC. Second, that's likely the only way we remain with our old rivals and make some more money and stay on the same level recruitings-wise when it comes to hoops and football.

Now...Let's say this alliance actually happens and the contracts are designed in a way that schools like VA, UNC and GT decide to stay put for some reason....The B1G doesn't really want to stop at 14 right? Does this alliance actually increase our chances to get into the B1G? With all these targets *potentially* shutout from the B1G, do they know look seriously at a school like UConn? I mean that's the silver lining here in what might look like bad news on the face of it.

Reaction Score
I'm just impressed that they seem to create new nightmare scenarios for us.

It's like they're trying to impress us.
They have to considering UConn's turned the conference down at least twice already.

This is definitely just a ploy to get UConn to accept an ACC invite.

Reaction Score
Both leagues insecure - I'm not sure the ACC is that far ahead in the realignment blowup scenario. Big 12 is benefited by timing and the fact that were able to lock up a strong contract in a beneficial environment. By all accounts, the ACC has a stronger nucleus of schools with similar cultures and no one tyrant with special treatment(Texas) dictating everything. The Big 12 is also one where cultures of many of the schools natural fits for two overlapping conferences. The Big 12 schools like their contract, don't really like each other. The ACC schools have a crappy contract, but like each other. The Big 12 just had a couple of flagships leave as well inducted a time way out of it's footprint. Are they really at all in a better place than the ACC?

Reaction Score
Trust me, all of the ACC schools know that in a few years the Big 10 and SEC schools will be earning 30 plus million each versus 18 million that the ACC's pays out per school. The ACC has no leverage to renegotiate their contract for more money.

The Big 12, Big 10 and SEC will have HUGE new contracts with Fox, CBA and NBC all wanting a piece of that college sports content on their networks. Every ACC school knows and understands this, and they are green with envy at Maryland.

Expansion is going to happen. Uconn needs to make more money and hopefully we'll be somewhere soon.

Reaction Score
If the big 4/5 conferences split off from the NCAA (especially for football, who knows if all other sports can remain being governed by the NCAA) and UConn isn't with them, we are done anyway. Choose your poison.

If you kill off football now, it's opting out. Why opt out?

Reaction Score
The Big12 is in no better position than the ACC longterm. Once their contract expires, and assuming realignment is at the end when that happens, Texas will once again play hardball and demand more $$$. Leaving less for the rest. And this explains why Texas doesn't want to expand as well.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 has p***** off pretty much all the other 4 major conferences in the past few years. Taking Nebraska from the Big 12, then breaking the deal with the Pac 12, now intruding into the south with Maryland. There is every reason for the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, and ACC to shut down the Big 10 for stepping outside their footprint. Big 10 football and basketball haven't won much of anything over the past 20 years, and by the other leagues joining it puts an end to their over- glorification of themselves. Plus they can form a national network, custom fitting content to whatever region they are broadcasting to. Also sets up the ability to have pay per view for big time games, at a small price like movies. It would stabilize the total product, to maximize the monetary returns for the schools, and their broadcast partners. This certainly might have been initiated by the heads of the broadcasting partners, ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC. Continual chaos in re-alignment, would eventually lead to great losses for schools, and the broadcasters.

Reaction Score
The Big12 is in no better position than the ACC longterm. Once their contract expires, and assuming realignment is at the end when that happens, Texas will once again play hardball and demand more $. Leaving less for the rest. And this explains why Texas doesn't want to expand as well.

You think that Texas didn't learn their lesson? Ask Texas how they feel about not being able to play A&M, Nebraska ans Mizzu. All of these schools left because of Texas and their LHN. The big 12 won't go through that again. Texas will always be "the" school of the big 12, but their influence is not what it used to be, they'll fall in line.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 has p***** off pretty much all the other 4 major conferences in the past few years. Taking Nebraska from the Big 12, then breaking the deal with the Pac 12, now intruding into the south with Maryland. There is every reason for the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, and ACC to shut down the Big 10 for stepping outside their footprint. Big 10 football and basketball haven't won much of anything over the past 20 years, and by the other leagues joining it puts an end to their over- glorification of themselves. Plus they can form a national network, custom fitting content to whatever region they are broadcasting to. Also sets up the ability to have pay per view for big time games, at a small price like movies. It would stabilize the total product, to maximize the monetary returns for the schools, and their broadcast partners. This certainly might have been initiated by the heads of the broadcasting partners, ESPN, Fox CBS, NBC. Continual chaos in re-alignment, would eventually lead to great losses for schools, and the broadcasters.

I see it more that Nebraska and Maryland left their conferences than the big 10 taking them. I don't know why you think that schools and networks would lose anything, the networks will provide the distribution for conferences and the distribution will be across several platforms, mobile, web and tv, these conferences can't do this on their own. We're talking about more money, a lot more, not loses.

Reaction Score
Best quote from the old SWC - Big 8 article:

From the Oklahoma AD: "I mean, is Iowa State going to go all the way to Houston to play Rice?"

My how the times have changed.

Reaction Score
Best quote from the old SWC - Big 8 article:

From the Oklahoma AD: "I mean, is Iowa State going to go all the way to Houston to play Rice?"

My how the times have changed.

Scott, you need to post more on this board. Welcome back.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 has p***** off pretty much all the other 4 major conferences in the past few years. Taking Nebraska from the Big 12, then breaking the deal with the Pac 12, now intruding into the south with Maryland. There is every reason for the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, and ACC to shut down the Big 10 for stepping outside their footprint. Big 10 football and basketball haven't won much of anything over the past 20 years, and by the other leagues joining it puts an end to their over- glorification of themselves. Plus they can form a national network, custom fitting content to whatever region they are broadcasting to. Also sets up the ability to have pay per view for big time games, at a small price like movies. It would stabilize the total product, to maximize the monetary returns for the schools, and their broadcast partners. This certainly might have been initiated by the heads of the broadcasting partners, ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC. Continual chaos in re-alignment, would eventually lead to great losses for schools, and the broadcasters.

Didn't the SEC take Missouri and Texas A&M from the Big 12 and Pac 12 took Colorado from the Big 12? With 20/20 hindsight, I would think the Big 12 (and Texas) would gladly take a do-over and take Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas A&M back. It's pretty clear the conference hierarchy today:

1. SEC
1a. Big 1G
3. Pac 12
4. Big 12
5. ACC
6. Big East
7. MWC

Big 12 has two choices. Don't expand and risk imploding in the future, which would put schools like Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., TCU, Baylor, WVU, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St. at risk of not having a stable LT home or expand by taking ACC schools. The "at risk" schools want to expand. Texas and possibly Oklahoma may not as they can find a stable home in other conferences.

Reaction Score
If this comes to fruition, expect ESPN to play a major role. They would probably offer increased/additional money for select match ups between those conferences. ACC schools would be happy to have more money. Big 12, would agree to not poach the ACC for more money. Everybody wins, ESPN doesn't see its most exclusive property (The ACC sodomized Big East style) the other two conferences get more money. So everybody wins except UConn, when yet another way to screw us is discovered. Yeaaaaaaa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom