B12 & ACC seeking an alliance? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

B12 & ACC seeking an alliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who strikes next? Big 12, IMHO, is the conference that should have most motivation as it's fairly clear a 10 team league with no championship game will not line up with what is going on. If they really had leverage over the ACC and were that appetizing, I'd think we would be hearing something there. Thus far, lot's of speculation, but nothing concrete.

Next move in realignment will be telling as it is not going to be filling a roster spot with the fat kid sitting on the sidelines like this last wave, it will be an attack on a valuable commodity/make some waves. It should be a statement maker in which direction all goes, probably why people love talking/speculating.

It's either going to be BiG or SEC pulling from ACC/Big 12 or Big 12 pulling from ACC, if it can. ACC has a cohesive core to it, such that it might take awhile before it implodes how everyone thinks it will. Though the next pull should be like that string handing from our jacket that just keeps on going.

Reaction Score
If this comes to fruition, expect ESPN to play a major role. They would probably offer increased/additional money for select match ups between those conferences. ACC schools would be happy to have more money. Big 12, would agree to not poach the ACC for more money. Everybody wins, ESPN doesn't see its most exclusive property (The ACC sodomized Big East style) the other two conferences get more money. So everybody wins except UConn, when yet another way to screw us is discovered. Yeaaaaaaa!

Whatever short term benefit ESPN would provide the big 12 for not expanding would hinder the 12 long term. The 12 wants a conference championship game, it's really the only real way to settle which team is number one in the conference. It gives the 12 an extra game and two additional teams gives the conference more viewers.

ESPN is not in the drivers seat in this round of expansion. Their precious ACC asset is about to get jail house raped and I could care less. They started this mess and no they are the ones who are threatened by Fox, CBS and NBC. I literally can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Reaction Score
How does really effect UConn? Does this push us to C7?

No. I think Susan and Warde have made it clear that we need to be in a balanced league. We should have nothing to do with the C7.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How does really effect UConn? Does this push us to C7?
No because that would result in our football program becoming little to nothing. In the grand scheme of things, if UConn wants to be at the big boy table, football, not basketball, is going to get us there. While people, specifically bball fans, may not like our current situation, it's necessary if UConn wants ANY shot at being taken by another conference. The NBE will be a competitive football conference and it will keep UConn's football program semi-relevant. Something that should be good enough to help. However, it's going to take UConn dominating the conference to really show appeal to other conferences. This factor will be determined after next season when we make our next coaching hire.

Reaction Score
You think that Texas didn't learn their lesson? Ask Texas how they feel about not being able to play A&M, Nebraska ans Mizzu. All of these schools left because of Texas and their LHN. The big 12 won't go through that again. Texas will always be "the" school of the big 12, but their influence is not what it used to be, they'll fall in line.

Once things stabilize, they will do what they always do. They will never be left out so they have the leverage. Asking them not to use it is like asking a rabbit not to .

Reaction Score
Once things stabilize, they will do what they always do. They will never be left out so they have the leverage. Asking them not to use it is like asking a rabbit not to .

That's just one man's opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 is willing to talk about alliances with the ACC... doesn't that make it clearer that FSU isn't looking to join the Big 12. They could take the ACC out of the football conversation by just taking Florida State and Clemson, yet that hasn't happened and we hear them talking about this kind of crap.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 is willing to talk about alliances with the ACC... doesn't that make it clearer that FSU isn't looking to join the Big 12.

I think everyone see's this possible "alliance" as something that is certain. it's an idea that's being discussed, that all. The BE and CUSA looked at this, the BE and the ACC discussed it, it's not an ideal or even realistic solution, so why focus so much on it?

The big 12 meets on Monday to talk about future expansion and scheduling. I'm sure that AD's are saying the right things publicly, but behind the scene's there's a lot of maneuvering, and the Big 10 and SEC are certainly watching if not maneuvering as well.

We'll certainly know more on Monday, but I'm guessing we'll see more posts about this fictitious alliance and how it affect uconn.

Reaction Score
I can totally understand why FSU would be ambivalent about joining the B10. Makes perfect sense. I don't think anyone should be surprised.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can totally understand why FSU would be ambivalent about joining the B10. Makes perfect sense. I don't think anyone should be surprised.

I think you mean Big 12. And yes they don't want to join the Big 12 - but don't tell the internet or Boneyard they moved 18 months ago in their minds.

Reaction Score
I think you mean Big 12. And yes they don't want to join the Big 12 - but don't tell the internet or Boneyard they moved 18 months ago in their minds.

Yes, I meant B12. FSU has issues. it can't even lock down the ACC! But the biggest reason is playing schools nearby.

Reaction Score
Best quote from the old SWC - Big 8 article:

From the Oklahoma AD: "I mean, is Iowa State going to go all the way to Houston to play Rice?"

My how the times have changed.
Remember when you played SMU Vibbs?

Reaction Score
You are now going into a never ending sleep. *snap*

That is funny stuff. Whatever you did there almost worked. I actually had a tough time getting up this morning and slept the longest I have in a few years. You're scaring me!

Reaction Score
In the midst of all of this I keep fixating on the fact that UConn had 4 invitees to the Senior Bowl!!!!!-one less than Alabama and Georgia and tied with Fla St. I agree with other commentators who said it's a pinch me moment to stop and think about the sheer eyeopening nature of that fact-----and should have been trumpeted by the announcers--(or maybe WM should have taken out a full page ad in USA Today)----yet we're ho hum dismissed as an outlier, second rate program from a third rate conference.

Reaction Score
In the midst of all of this I keep fixating on the fact that UConn had 4 invitees to the Senior Bowl!!!!!-one less than Alabama and Georgia and tied with Fla St. I agree with other commentators who said it's a pinch me moment to stop and think about the sheer eyeopening nature of that fact-----and should have been trumpeted by the announcers--(or maybe WM should have taken out a full page ad in USA Today)----yet we're ho hum dismissed as an outlier, second rate program from a third rate conference.

UConn football got the short end of the stick nationally a few months ago, and it's amazing to see the talent on this team. The defensive players are NFL capable, and then even the offense had a slate of more than passable wide receivers, a couple talented TEs, an offensive line that was not nearly as bad as a people make it out to be, and a QB who was all but lost out there, hung out to dry, but who is talented.

Which begs the question: does Manuel expect talent like this every year?

Reaction Score

Actually we had 3 invites, Sio was Trevardo's injury replacement

Reaction Score
Actually we had 3 invites, Sio was Trevardo's injury replacement

Not really, that makes 4. They could have invited anyone from any team to replace Trevardo. They chose Sio.

Reaction Score
Not really, that makes 4. They could have invited anyone from any team to replace Trevardo. They chose Sio.

3 uconn players played in the senior bowl, don't make it what it's not.

Reaction Score

It's 4. I think we can feel pretty comfortable in saying 4 UConn players were invited to the Senior Bowl. Some kids even decline invitations, some kids get hurt during practice.

Reaction Score

It's 4. Did you had difficulty with that required math course at UNC, so you opted for a African Studies math substitute held (well scheduled) summer session? Maybe that explains it.

Reaction Score
It's 4. Did you had difficulty with that required math course at UNC, so you opted for a African Studies math substitute held (well scheduled) summer session? Maybe that explains it.

Don't be a d*ck, Sio was a replacement who would have not played had Trevardo not been injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom