Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

Reaction Score
On the defensive end, Mo separated herself from pretty much EVERYONE.

What I so vividly remember is that Mo brought so much excitement and so many jaw-dropping, how the heck moments to the court - offensively and defensively. Her athleticism and fast-twitch, lightening-like reactions were off the charts and took slow motion to follow to be sure you really saw what you thought might have happened. And, she delivered all of that with a joyful exuberance that was infectious (maybe a bad term to use in these COVID days :eek:). Basketball lit a spark in her, yet she was so humble and thankful of her gifts when I met her. All these years later and I can still remember how stunned I was to see her dribbling on the floor to rise up from that scrum of sprawled and tangled players, dribbling down the court ahead of everyone for a score. And there was that behind the back pass from midcourt while falling out of bounds to Stewie racing to score before the opposing following player fouled. If Stewie had aggressively dunked that ball it would have a million + likes by now. And there was a drive she made where she set the ball suspended in the air in front of Stewie just in front of the basket, waiting for her to dunk it for the assist - and then she playfully nudged Stewie for taking the easy way to score. And the time she was dribbling with 2-3 opposing players at the top of the key, and suddenly she is the only one in the paint casually dribbling for a lay-up while all the opposing players were standing with blank looks outside the paint while trying to find her. Gosh I miss Mo!! I'm hoping that Paige can bring some of that same kind of fun and excitement!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What I so vividly remember is that Mo brought so much excitement and so many jaw-dropping, how the heck moments to the court - offensively and defensively. Her athleticism and fast-twitch, lightening-like reactions were off the charts and took slow motion to follow to be sure you really saw what you thought might have happened. And, she delivered all of that with a joyful exuberance that was infectious (maybe a bad term to use in these COVID days :eek:). Basketball lit a spark in her, yet she was so humble and thankful of her gifts when I met her. All these years later and I can still remember how stunned I was to see her dribbling on the floor to rise up from that scrum of sprawled and tangled players, dribbling down the court ahead of everyone for a score. And there was that behind the back pass from midcourt while falling out of bounds to Stewie racing to score before the opposing following player fouled. If Stewie had aggressively dunked that ball it would have a million + likes by now. And there was a drive she made where she set the ball suspended in the air in front of Stewie just in front of the basket, waiting for her to dunk it for the assist - and then she playfully nudged Stewie for taking the easy way to score. And the time she was dribbling with 2-3 opposing players at the top of the key, and suddenly she is the only one in the paint casually dribbling for a lay-up while all the opposing players were standing with blank looks outside the paint while trying to find her. Gosh I miss Mo!! I'm hoping that Paige can bring some of that same kind of fun and excitement!!
Keep in mind that these highlights are all from 1 game and enjoy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2 thoughts:

-With regard to Lurker's comments, Mo was pissed that Stewie didn't dunk the ball on that play. It was a fine example of how Moriah could take over a game without even shooting.

--In the S.C. highlights, notice Gabby Williams cheering from the bench. I believe that Gabby said something to the effect that "Moriah Jefferson taught me how to play defense."

Reaction Score
I agree that Megan and Christyn are definitely at a lower level than Collier, KML and KLS .... I seriously doubt Christyn can elevate to that level .... she had a really poor 1/2 + season last year before she finished off in a better place
IMO KML is above Lou and Naphessa because she was a catalyst in helping UConn win 3 NCs. At the end of the 2015 game she hit some big shots down the stretch to help seal the win! The other 2 were role players for the Dynasty for their only NC. When it was their team with Nurse and Williams they didn't step up like AAs should.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, other than Bascom, I watched every one of these players play practically every one of their UConn games - either in person or on TV. So IMO I’m eminently qualified to put together my list. :D:D
In I think in 2010 CPTV did a question and answer with fans of UConn the audience. It was Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa. A question for Geno was Out of all your players who would you chose to take the last shot? Before he could answer the audience shouted out Taurasi and he agreed. Then he was asked who would be next and his answer was Kerry Bascom!

Reaction Score
Did you see her play? I didn’t, but Geno still says that she would be his first choice to get the ball when a game was on the line. That’s pretty lofty praise.
Taurasi then Bascom he said. She was tough and fearless. Could hit the outside shot or go to the hole. Could play with her back to the basket too. Teams cocentrated on her and she still did her thing. Saw her alot because Lishness and Ferrier were from my hometown. She was really really good like Geno said.

Reaction Score
I would have to say that Sue (total career) doesn’t take a back seat to anyone! There is something wrong when the greatest point guard ever is relegated to second tier. Although the others were bigger, stronger, possibly more exciting to watch, they did not have to run the whole team like Sue. Well, I guess Dee did for two years. I think Sue belongs up with the big three on the top tier!
I agree if she wasn't injured she would have the all time assist record. She was big in running those teams for 3 years with all those star players. It was still Birds teams! Mo really had the teams trust in her for the last year and a half but she was fun to watch then.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
IMO KML is above Lou and Naphessa because she was a catalyst in helping UConn win 3 NCs. At the end of the 2015 game she hit some big shots down the stretch to help seal the win! The other 2 were role players for the Dynasty for their only NC. When it was their team with Nurse and Williams they didn't step up like AAs should.
They were both first team AA. What more did you expect them to do? Do you think that the Stewart led team would have won four NC without Dolson, Stokes, and the bench they had? Put Dolson and Stokes with Collier and KLS their junior and senior years and they would have won two more NC. Also, if it had not been for some questionable coaching moves they would have won with Z on the team, imo. It as not their fault UConn did not have the kind of talented front court and bench that the big three had.

Reaction Score
I agree if she wasn't injured she would have the all time assist record. She was big in running those teams for 3 years with all those star players. It was still Birds teams! Mo really had the teams trust in her for the last year and a half but she was fun to watch then.

I don't agree about Bird. The fact is she was injured. Thus she only had 3 impact years at UCONN instead of 4 for Maya, Dt and Stewie. And imo their peak year is superior. Can't say she was equal for 4 years or was so superior vs them that she made up for being out.

Not in order here would be my tiers (5). Hoping Azzi and Paige can get to tier 1. Maybe / hopefully some others can get in these tiers too!!!

Tier 1: DT, Maya, Stewie

Tier 2: Bird, Lobo, Bascom, Sales, MoJeff, Tina, Sveta (just added)

Tier 3: Rizzotti, Cash, Wolters, Collier, Dolson

Tier 4: Ralph, Monty, Gabby, KML, KLS

Tier 5: Hartley, Tuck, Walker, AJones, Kelly Faris.
I have Faris on here because what I recall was that her sr year was dynamic and she always was a tremendous defensive player. Unfortunately the UCONN site no longer shows historical stats for past years. - Though I found from WIKI- during her sr year at the time she was only the 2nd player in UCONN History to score over 1,000 points, get 750 rebounds, with 500 assists, and 250 steals.

As for her defense, I can recall one game - UCONN needed Kelly to guard a Stanford 6'5 post and she was about to defend one-on -one. Elite defensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't agree about Bird. The fact is she was injured. Thus she only had 3 impact years at UCONN instead of 4 for Maya, Dt and Stewie. And imo their peak year is superior. Can't say she was equal for 4 years or was so superior vs them that she made up for being out.

Not in order here would be my tiers (5). Hoping Azzi and Paige can get to tier 1. Maybe / hopefully some others can get in these tiers too!!!

Tier 2: Bird, Lobo, Basom, Sales, MoJeff, Tina

Tier 3: Rizzotti, Cash. Wolters, Collier, Dolson

I have Frais on here because what I recall was that her sr year was dynamic and she always was a tremendous defensive player. Unfortunately the UCONN site no longer shows historical stats for past years. - Though I found from WIKI- during her sr year at the time she was only the 2nd player in UCONN History to score over 1,000 points, get 750 rebounds, with 500 assists, and 250 steals.

As for her defense, I can recall one game - UCONN needed Kelly to guard a Stanford 6'5 post and she was about to defend one-on -one. Elite defensively.
Little known fact: Kelly Faris was in track, and was high jumping in addition to some sprints. I gave her a tip regarding her approach to the bar [after the home team's jumper was already eliminated], and she was able to win the high jump event that day as a senior in High School.

Reaction Score

I have Frais on here because what I recall was that her sr year was dynamic and she always was a tremendous defensive player. Unfortunately the UCONN site no longer shows historical stats for past years. - Though I found from WIKI- during her sr year at the time she was only the 2nd player in UCONN History to score over 1,000 points, get 750 rebounds, with 500 assists, and 250 steals.

Svetlana isn't even in your top 23???

Reaction Score
They were both first team AA. What more did you expect them to do? Do you think that the Stewart led team would have won four NC without Dolson, Stokes, and the bench they had? Put Dolson and Stokes with Collier and KLS their junior and senior years and they would have won two more NC. Also, if it had not been for some questionable coaching moves they would have won with Z on the team, imo. It as not their fault UConn did not have the kind of talented front court and bench that the big three had.
That played with arguably the best athlete and AA in Williams and Nurse a hard nosed defensive player who led the country in 3 point shooting! Those are just excuses because that girl from Chino won 2 NCs with any others after losing the 1, 2, 4 and 6th pick of the WNBA Draft! They were also undefeated going into the Final Four and lost to one team they beat by 60! That team had 8 Future WNBA Players!

All this because KML helped Stewie and Co win 3 NCs. Who do you opened the paint for Stewie and Dolson. Lou and Collier couldn't win the games that mattered 3 years in a row!

Reaction Score
Svetlana isn't even in your top 23???

Damn!! Forgot to relook at her because I wasn't sure whether to put her in tier 2 or 3 then I moved on and forgot to go back. I'd put her in tier 2.

Pity her senior year she was starting to play off-the-charts before she went down. I can remember the Tennessee game she got hurt-- her and DT were starting to score very well. Thought they had a run in them before she got hurt.

Reaction Score

Your post caused me to think about what who would be on UConn’s all time defensive team. So many possibilities - Stokes, Stewart, Faris, Nurse, Jefferson, Williams, Sales, others? I’m having trouble limiting myself to 5.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That played with arguably the best athlete and AA in Williams and Nurse a hard nosed defensive player who led the country in 3 point shooting! Those are just excuses because that girl from Chino won 2 NCs with any others after losing the 1, 2, 4 and 6th pick of the WNBA Draft! They were also undefeated going into the Final Four and lost to one team they beat by 60! That team had 8 Future WNBA Players!

All this because KML helped Stewie and Co win 3 NCs. Who do you opened the paint for Stewie and Dolson. Lou and Collier couldn't win the games that mattered 3 years in a row!
The team that won by sixty had graduated it's stars and you know that. That MSST team was much better than the one that lost to the big four. UConn could not handle McCowan because they were too short and McCowan was a better player that season than she was the season before. One of the biggest complaints the past four years was that UConn was lacking good big players. What good bigs played with Collier and KLS? How many tall teams did the girl from Chino have to play in the NCAA Tourney? By the way, I thought all games mattered.

Reaction Score

Tier 2: Bird, Lobo, Bascom, Sales, MoJeff, Tina, Sveta (just added)

Tier 3: Rizzotti, Cash, Wolters, Collier, Dolson

I have Faris on here because what I recall was that her sr year was dynamic and she always was a tremendous defensive player. Unfortunately the UCONN site no longer shows historical stats for past years. - Though I found from WIKI- during her sr year at the time she was only the 2nd player in UCONN History to score over 1,000 points, get 750 rebounds, with 500 assists, and 250 steals.

Shea, Tamika?

Reaction Score
Shea, Tamika?

Those 2 are among my favorite players.

I have Ralph.

Tamika - if you want on the last tier. But she was never an all-american. Everyone else on this list was. And her top minutes was her frosh year at 22.3 or something. She just didn't paly enough -- but she was terrific - underrated player.

Reaction Score
Those 2 are among my favorite players.

I have Ralph.

Tamika - if you want on the last tier. But she was never an all-american. Everyone else on this list was. And her top minutes was her frosh year at 22.3 or something. She just didn't paly enough -- but she was terrific - underrated player.
How can you be under rated when your the top prospect

Reaction Score
How can you be under rated when your the top prospect

Her being a number 1 prospect from H/S means nothing once you evaluate her college career. The point I was trying to make was- she was a very good player. Not an All-American. Her H/S career has no bearing on her 4 years at UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom