Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sort of stunned - the "Fudd down to UCONN and UCLA" thread got over 400 posts before it was locked (415). But now that she's committed, we have a paltry 350 posts so far? BY'ers letting us down with their enthusiasm! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of UConn players based on college careers, I think most people agree that Diana, Maya, and Stewie are at the top, in some order. Of the other players, I’d put Sue next, then Tina. Based on her pro career, Sue ranks very, very high.

Reaction Score
I'm sort of stunned - the "Fudd down to UCONN and UCLA" thread got over 400 posts before it was locked (415). But now that she's committed, we have a paltry 350 posts so far? BY'ers letting us down with their enthusiasm! ;)
Az-Zi
Az-Zi
Azzi, Azzi ,Az-Zi :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

(Just doing my part - #355)

Reaction Score
Posted at the time, but the recording source put it up again today so might as well share.

Azzi's 10-pt make game highlights:

Not shocked that Azzi has improved a lot since that was her freshman year, but her ball handling and ability do do more behind the 3 point line then just catch and shoot is remarkable, I think Fudd will be the greatest shooter ever.

Reaction Score
Not shocked that Azzi has improved a lot since that was her freshman year, but her ball handling and ability do do more behind the 3 point line then just catch and shoot is remarkable, I think Fudd will be the greatest shooter ever.

That's a wicked quick trigger.

Reaction Score
So we're going to have a WNBA All Star/US National team for the next few years. Will Dawn Staley exclude Paige or Azzi from the national team squad? The drama is building up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Yes, and I had to edit my post. It should've said she made 10 threes in the game.

Reaction Score
So we're going to have a WNBA All Star/US National team for the next few years. Will Dawn Staley exclude Paige or Azzi from the national team squad? The drama is building up.
Dawn doesn't pick the team a committee does and Geno is on it. They only put one college player on the team.

Reaction Score
Just where does Collier rank in your levels, certainly at least as high as KML, KLS, and higher than Megan and Christyn? However, Christyn may elevate her game this season.
I agree that Megan and Christyn are definitely at a lower level than Collier, KML and KLS .... I seriously doubt Christyn can elevate to that level .... she had a really poor 1/2 + season last year before she finished off in a better place

Reaction Score
It's all really opinions, isn't it? And how lucky are we to have so many greats in UCONN's storied history to even be able to hvae this debate?

In general, I do think it's pretty easy to rank the big 3 as "generational" meaning they are head and shoulders above every other player to come thru the program. But once you get down to the next levels, it's really just a matter of opinion.

I always (me personally) list Tina as just a step below the big 3, but above everyone else, because she was NPOY as a senior. She beat out Maya in Maya's junior year (Tina's senior year) which is no small feat. In general I don't think it's fair to judge based on the # of NC's won because no one player wins them by themselves.

Stewie was blessed with an incredible supporting cast including the best PG in college at the time, and the best shooter (KML) as well as 2 years of Hartley/Dolson. Not to take anything away from the accomplishment of 4 straight NC's, but IMHO Diana's 3 NC's are more impressive based on the supporting cast the 2 all time greats had.

For Pheesa, she was ranked between 4-6 by the big 4 services, and no one had her in their top 3. Phee was "only" a 2x AA compared to Lou's 3x. But it's really splitting hairs and you can make the argument so many different ways to put someone above or below another player.

Bottom line, my point was that if you look at Dee, Maya and Stewie as the all time greats, with Tina a close 2nd, the rest of the UCONN great players rank below them for their college accomplishments. Pheesa has far outperformed Lou in the pros (as well as KML), but in college, she did not IMHO. Megan only had 3 years in college and only 1 really good season, so as a former #1 recruit, she's probably one of the weakest IMHO.

Tamika Williams Jeter would be the weakest #1. Averaged under 11 PPG for her career and was never an AA IIRC. Cash and Jones had better college careers, and sadly, Bird's injuries sort of take her out of the running for all time greats in college. Ann Strother is another of the weaker #1 recruits - averaging something like 12 PPG for her career and never being named an AA.

Bringing it back to Azzi, I believe both she and Paige have the potential to be Dee, Maya & Stewie great. It will be hard to judge based on NPOY accolades because really only one can win, unless the split the vote among different services.
Didn't Tamika Williams have the highest field goal percentage in UConn history and maybe close to the best in the history of women's basketball? Maybe I'm mistaken but that's what I remember .... she served her role fantastically

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In terms of UConn players based on college careers, I think most people agree that Diana, Maya, and Stewie are at the top, in some order. Of the other players, I’d put Sue next, then Tina. Based on her pro career, Sue ranks very, very high.

I'd definitely include Jefferson with Bird/Charles. You could make a very strong case that she was ultimately a better collegiate player than Bird was.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Didn't Tamika Williams have the highest field goal percentage in UConn history and maybe close to the best in the history of women's basketball? Maybe I'm mistaken but that's what I remember .... she served her role fantastically

Yep, has the national record at 70.3% as of 2018. She never became your typical #1 recruit (never was an AA, came off the bench her soph/jr year, etc) but filled her role very well on both ends and was remarkably efficient. Each season she played with at least 4 of Bird, Taurasi, Ralph, Abrosimova, Cash and Asjha Jones so there wasn't a lot of opportunity to stand out.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree that Megan and Christyn are definitely at a lower level than Collier, KML and KLS .... I seriously doubt Christyn can elevate to that level .... she had a really poor 1/2 + season last year before she finished off in a better place
Some people seemed to forget that Christyn played a lot of 3 on 3 basketball the Summer of 2019 and I think she got burned out. She should be fresh and determined this season. She takes pride in her ability to play top level basketball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm still doing this a week later

giddy game show celebration.gif

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Imagine how many it would have been if she'd picked UCLA. :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'd definitely include Jefferson with Bird/Charles. You could make a very strong case that she was ultimately a better collegiate player than Bird was.
Agree. Bird and Jefferson are pretty close offensively. However, there's a decent gap defensively in Jefferson's favor.

Here are my tiers.

Mt Rushmore (legends) - DT, Moore, Stewart
1st Tier - Lobo, Abrosimova, Bird, Charles, Jefferson, Collier
2nd Tier - Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Cash, Ralph, KLM, KLS

Reaction Score
Agree. Bird and Jefferson are pretty close offensively. However, there's a decent gap defensively in Jefferson's favor.

Here are my tiers.

Jefferson did not need to score to change the outcome of games. One of the best defenders ever.

Reaction Score

Here are my tiers.

Do you think there's a way you can squeeze Bria Hartley into the 2nd tier?

Reaction Score

Here are my tiers.

Geno would be livid to see bBas

Here are my tiers.

Geno would be livid to see such a list without Bascom. Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters and Sales Never would have come to UConn if she had not put the program on the map.

Reaction Score

Here are my tiers.

Hard to separate Collier and Samuelson into different tiers, given how linked and similar their careers were.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Here are my tiers.

Somewhere along the line we probably had this discussion before: Kerry Bascom could replace Collier on 1st Tier or Cash, KML or KLS on 2nd Tier.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hard to separate Collier and Samuelson into different tiers, given how linked and similar their careers were.
Agreed. In college, if Lou had not been injured for those 10 games, her stats would have likely eclipsed Napheesa's. Pheesa has blossomed much faster in the W than Lou, so people seem to sometimes focus on that more, but from a college perspective, Pheesa is not (IMHO) a tier or level above Lou...

Having said that, we are so blessed as fans to even be able to have this discussion. There are probably at least 20 players from our history that could be in the discussion for all time greats, put on "greats" lists, etc. And the train just continues. Williams, ONO, Makurat, Edwards, Bueckers, Fudd, and probably a few others on our current or future team will have careers that will vault them into the stratosphere discussions!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom