Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

Reaction Score
I was talking about Autumn not Azzi. Need to see what the person I responded to was talking about. Although you are correct about what Steph Curry had said about Azzi, which is great for UConn fans.
Sorry, I mis-read. I, too, am much intrigued by Autumn. I read a story on her and she might just surprise the world. We are fortunate that UCONN has always been in her heart. From Texas, no less.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I mis-read. I, too, am much intrigued by Autumn. I read a story on her and she might just surprise the world. We are fortunate that UCONN has always been in her heart. From Texas, no less.
Autumn will surprise no one lol. Let’s stay in reality here it’s mop up duty strictly for her

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm still basking in the glow of landing Azzi. Ken @MilfordHusky and I have discussed this often - there are different levels of #1 recruits. In my opinion...

At the top of the list are the generational type players - Diana, Maya, Stewie.

Literally just below them are the Tina Charles types - capable of being a NPOY (or BEING a NPOY), but not quite at the big 3 in terms of production, leadership, accomplishments, etc.).

Then there are various levels of the next tier down. Without Stewie, Moriah would have been a #1 player in her class, and then you have the next tier KML, KLS, Megan, Christyn. Certainly deserving of AA honors and on the Husky wall of honor, but not at the same level of the big 3.

I think Christyn has a chance to get to the Tina Charles level, but she will need to be great the next 2 years. Having said that, I believe Paige and Azzi are at the same level as the big 3. Can you imagine a UCONN team that had any combo 2 out of the Dee, Maya and Stewie players on the team at the same time? IMHO that's what we are looking at with Azzi and Paige potentially.

And if Paige decides to stay 5 years instead of 4, she could be on the same team as Azzi for 4 years. That's just an unbelievable tandem of talent on the team at the same time. I know there are teams out there who think they have the same amount of talent as UCONN, but IMHO they simply do not. Teams better knock UCONN off their perch this year if possible, because for the next 3 years after, no one will be able to touch us.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm still basking in the glow of landing Azzi. Ken @MilfordHusky and I have discussed this often - there are different levels of #1 recruits. In my opinion...

Literally just below them are the Tina Charles types - capable of being a NPOY (or BEING a NPOY), but not quite at the big 3 in terms of production, leadership, accomplishments, etc.).

Then there are various levels of the next tier down. Without Stewie, Moriah would have been a #1 player in her class, and then you have the next tier KML, KLS, Megan, Christyn. Certainly deserving of AA honors and on the Husky wall of honor, but not at the same level of the big 3.

I think Christyn has a chance to get to the Tina Charles level, but she will need to be great the next 2 years. Having said that, I believe Paige and Azzi are at the same level as the big 3. Can you imagine a UCONN team that had any combo 2 out of the Dee, Maya and Stewie players on the team at the same time? IMHO that's what we are looking at with Azzi and Paige potentially.

And if Paige decides to stay 5 years instead of 4, she could be on the same team as Azzi for 4 years. That's just an unbelievable tandem of talent on the team at the same time. I know there are teams out there who think they have the same amount of talent as UCONN, but IMHO they simply do not. Teams better knock UCONN off their perch this year if possible, because for the next 3 years after, no one will be able to touch us.

I remember Diana Taurasi making that same statement Stewie's freshman year. She was right. She had no problem seeing the potential of that team the next 3 years.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe Sue is not quite at the level of Diana, Maya, and Stewie—or maybe she is—but when Sue and Diana play together, they almost never lose.

I’ve seen Diana, Maya, and Stewie play together in World Cups. They were devastating.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Just where does Collier rank in your levels, certainly at least as high as KML, KLS, and higher than Megan and Christyn? However, Christyn may elevate her game this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just where does Collier rank in your levels, certainly at least as high as KML, KLS, and higher than Megan and Christyn? However, Christyn may elevate her game this season.
I’ll let Eric reply as well. But it gets messy, depending on what you value.

Tina: 2x All-American, NPOY, 2x champion (78-0)

KML: 2x All-American, 3x champion

KLS: 3x All-American, 1x champion

Phee: 2x All-American, 1x champion

Meg: 1x All-Anerican, not a champion

Christyn: too early to say

I think I would put Phee at the top of the list of players who were not NPOY. She was a 2x AP AA, I believe, and finished near the top of UConn scoring and rebounding lists.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Now that Azzi has inked her LOI, she no longer has to agonize over where she should commit to. She can relax, take a deep breath, and focus on enjoying her senior year in high school, knowing she made a great choice, and her best days are still in front of her. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Saw the interview. Nothing revelatory. Reasons for UConn

1) To be pushed by coaches and getting better playing against the best players
2) Being able to play with 3 of her best friends
3) Decision helped by writing down pros/cons and articulating

Apparently Interviewer Chris Williamson went to St. Johns in the DMV :eek:

More of the interview Tuesday Night

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Autumn will surprise no one lol. Let’s stay in reality here it’s mop up duty strictly for her
This. If highly nationally ranked recruits such as Coombs, Gordon, and Espinoza-Hunter couldn't crack the floor as RECRUITED scholarship players, then I don't see Autumn even getting floor time. Even Bent was more impressive coming in. Yes, let her enjoy her college experience and make the most out of being a UConn Husky..but to be stuck on selling dreams won't do good for anybody. She was brought in because her stage dad begged and the Huskies needed an extra body for practice. Her gamefilm in one of the lowest classes in Louisiana and she hardly stood out there.

Reaction Score
Azzi on SNY SportsNite last night about UCONN- "Getting the chance to go to a school and play with three of my best friends for 3 and 4 years". Who are the other two she was referring to besides Paige?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Azzi on SNY SportsNite last night about UCONN- "Getting the chance to go to a school and play with three of my best friends for 3 and 4 years". Who are the other two she was referring to besides Paige?
Caroline and Amari. By the way, they continue the interview tonight.

Reaction Score
She can surprise a number of people while playing mop up minutes.
If she can practice hard and show a level of skill somewhere in the Lawlor and Bent range, she'll be a valued Husky. An extra PG in practice can be really helpful even if she doesn't get into many games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I learned that my wife’s cousin, a DC area sportswriter, worked at a paper with Azzi’s grandfather years ago. Our cousin, who used to put down women’s hoops in the Lobo era, has come a long way. Could be having two daughters changed his point of view.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I’ll let Eric reply as well. But it gets messy, depending on what you value.

Tina: 2x All-American, NPOY, 2x champion (78-0)

KML: 2x All-American, 3x champion

KLS: 3x All-American, 1x champion

Phee: 2x All-American, 1x champion

Meg: 1x All-Anerican, not a champion

Christyn: too early to say

I think I would put Phee at the top of the list of players who were not NPOY. She was a 2x AP AA, I believe, and finished near the top of UConn scoring and rebounding lists.
It's all really opinions, isn't it? And how lucky are we to have so many greats in UCONN's storied history to even be able to hvae this debate?

In general, I do think it's pretty easy to rank the big 3 as "generational" meaning they are head and shoulders above every other player to come thru the program. But once you get down to the next levels, it's really just a matter of opinion.

I always (me personally) list Tina as just a step below the big 3, but above everyone else, because she was NPOY as a senior. She beat out Maya in Maya's junior year (Tina's senior year) which is no small feat. In general I don't think it's fair to judge based on the # of NC's won because no one player wins them by themselves.

Stewie was blessed with an incredible supporting cast including the best PG in college at the time, and the best shooter (KML) as well as 2 years of Hartley/Dolson. Not to take anything away from the accomplishment of 4 straight NC's, but IMHO Diana's 3 NC's are more impressive based on the supporting cast the 2 all time greats had.

For Pheesa, she was ranked between 4-6 by the big 4 services, and no one had her in their top 3. Phee was "only" a 2x AA compared to Lou's 3x. But it's really splitting hairs and you can make the argument so many different ways to put someone above or below another player.

Bottom line, my point was that if you look at Dee, Maya and Stewie as the all time greats, with Tina a close 2nd, the rest of the UCONN great players rank below them for their college accomplishments. Pheesa has far outperformed Lou in the pros (as well as KML), but in college, she did not IMHO. Megan only had 3 years in college and only 1 really good season, so as a former #1 recruit, she's probably one of the weakest IMHO.

Tamika Williams Jeter would be the weakest #1. Averaged under 11 PPG for her career and was never an AA IIRC. Cash and Jones had better college careers, and sadly, Bird's injuries sort of take her out of the running for all time greats in college. Ann Strother is another of the weaker #1 recruits - averaging something like 12 PPG for her career and never being named an AA.

Bringing it back to Azzi, I believe both she and Paige have the potential to be Dee, Maya & Stewie great. It will be hard to judge based on NPOY accolades because really only one can win, unless the split the vote among different services.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This. If highly nationally ranked recruits such as Coombs, Gordon, and Espinoza-Hunter couldn't crack the floor as RECRUITED scholarship players, then I don't see Autumn even getting floor time. Even Bent was more impressive coming in. Yes, let her enjoy her college experience and make the most out of being a UConn Husky..but to be stuck on selling dreams won't do good for anybody. She was brought in because her stage dad begged and the Huskies needed an extra body for practice. Her gamefilm in one of the lowest classes in Louisiana and she hardly stood out there.

It must be tough having to get up every morning and feel compelled to be the bearer of bad news.

Reaction Score
Tamika Williams Jeter would be the weakest #1. Averaged under 11 PPG for her career and was never an AA IIRC. Cash and Jones had better college careers, and sadly, Bird's injuries sort of take her out of the running for all time greats in college. Ann Strother is another of the weaker #1 recruits - averaging something like 12 PPG for her career and never being named an AA.

Bringing it back to Azzi, I believe both she and Paige have the potential to be Dee, Maya & Stewie great. It will be hard to judge based on NPOY accolades because really only one can win, unless the split the vote among different services.
I don't think Bird's injuries take her out of the running for college at all. She had 3 great years. Those last-second game-winning shots, like in the BE championship game with ND, were iconic. Remember all those back-door passes to whack Tennessee in the 2000 NC game. Good enough in college to be the #1 overall WNBA draft pick in a killer class (Cash #2, Williams #4, Jones #6 - heh heh). For me it's between her and Lobo for the 4th Mt. Rushmore slot (right now anyway, and Paige or Azzi had better be REALLY REALLY good for 4 years if one of them is gonna take it away).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom