Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed. In college, if Lou had not been injured for those 10 games, her stats would have likely eclipsed Napheesa's. Pheesa has blossomed much faster in the W than Lou, so people seem to sometimes focus on that more, but from a college perspective, Pheesa is not (IMHO) a tier or level above Lou...

Having said that, we are so blessed as fans to even be able to have this discussion. There are probably at least 20 players from our history that could be in the discussion for all time greats, put on "greats" lists, etc. And the train just continues. Williams, ONO, Makurat, Edwards, Bueckers, Fudd, and probably a few others on our current or future team will have careers that will vault them into the stratosphere discussions!
EricBeverlyHills is right about being fortunate to be able to have this discussion. The players in the second tier (3rd group) would have been the best players in the history of about 300+ other schools. It’s easy to understand why recruits and incoming freshman are so impressed by the banners in the Werth Center. There’s also the larger-than-life banner of 4-time consensus/unanimous (?) All-American Magnificent Maya.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would add Gabby Williams to tier 3 at least, not many players went from role player 2 years in a row, on to NDPY, and 2 time all American.
I have a long list of players before I'd get to Gabby -fabulous though she were.
Bascom
Dolson
Hartley
Montgomery
Tuck
(Gabby)
(Walker)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno would be livid to see bBas

Geno would be livid to see such a list without Bascom. Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters and Sales Never would have come to UConn if she had not put the program on the map.
Probably, but I still wouldn't put her on those tiers. Different time really. If I was doing another Tier, then sure.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hard to separate Collier and Samuelson into different tiers, given how linked and similar their careers were.
Yes it is. I've moved them back and forth and put them together numerous times. Finally came up with this. ???

Reaction Score
Number in ( ) is # of Lieberman, Wade, Honda, Wooden, Naismith POY, AP POY, USWBA POY. (The more recently a player played, the more of these awards existed and were available - AP POY only since 1995, Wooden only since 2004)

Tier 1 (Rushmore)
Taurasi (9)
Moore (13)
Stewart (16)

Tier 2
Bird (8) (I could easily be persuaded to promote Sue to Tier 1)
Charles (4)
Lobo (5)
Rizzotti (3)

Tier 3
Sales
Ralph (1)
Abrosimova
Cash
Jefferson (2)
Wolters (1)
Montgomery (3)
Bascom (I guess - don't want Geno to be livid)

Tier 4
Hartley
Collier
G. Williams
T. Williams
Jones
Mosqueda-Lewis
Samuelson
Tuck
Dolson

Note: Walker is the only HoH player I didn't include in these tiers.

Note: Bascom is the only player listed above with zero National Championships (as would Walker have been, if listed).

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hard to separate Collier and Samuelson into different tiers, given how linked and similar their careers were.
Agreed. In college, if Lou had not been injured for those 10 games, her stats would have likely eclipsed Napheesa's. Pheesa has blossomed much faster in the W than Lou, so people seem to sometimes focus on that more, but from a college perspective, Pheesa is not (IMHO) a tier or level above Lou...

Having said that, we are so blessed as fans to even be able to have this discussion. There are probably at least 20 players from our history that could be in the discussion for all time greats, put on "greats" lists, etc. And the train just continues. Williams, ONO, Makurat, Edwards, Bueckers, Fudd, and probably a few others on our current or future team will have careers that will vault them into the stratosphere discussions!
You guys made me go back and look at this again. I think the difference for me was, while they both scored a lot, Collier was also top 10 rebounder for UCONN (ahead of Stewart) and top 10 in blocks.

Reaction Score
I fully appreciate what a difficult task you have undertaken. But I can't see putting Collier and Samuelson in 4 and Cash in 3. I could probably pick a few more nits, but I'm not convinced I won't change my mind in a few hours.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Number in ( ) is # of Lieberman, Wade, Honda, Wooden, Naismith POY, AP POY, USWBA POY. (The more recently a player played, the more of these awards existed and were available - AP POY only since 1995, Wooden only since 2004)

Tier 1 (Rushmore)
Taurasi (9)
Moore (13)
Stewart (16)

Tier 2
Charles (4)
Lobo (5)
Rizzotti (3)

Tier 3
Sales
Ralph (1)
Abrosimova
Cash
Jefferson (2)
Wolters (1)
Montgomery (3)

Tier 4
Hartley
Collier
G. Williams
T. Williams
Jones
Mosqueda-Lewis
Samuelson
Tuck
Dolson

Note: Bascom is the only player listed above with zero National Championships (as would Walker have been, if listed).
That's some great homework! IMHO it would also be useful to note the number of times they were 1st or 2nd team AA. One gets on the wall of honor for making it once, but some players on the list made it 4 times, others only 1.

It will be fascinating to see the current crop and where they end up after their UCONN careers - Will any of them be on the list, and how high will they be? Given this thread is about Azzi, I believe she (and Paige) will be vying for tier 1 honors when all is said and done Imagine if Paige stays for 5 years!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Tier 1 (Rushmore)
Taurasi (9)
Moore (13)
Stewart (16)

Tier 2
Charles (4)
Lobo (5)
Rizzotti (3)

Tier 3
Sales
Ralph (1)
Abrosimova
Cash
Jefferson (2)
Wolters (1)
Montgomery (3)

Tier 4
Hartley
Collier
G. Williams
T. Williams
Jones
Mosqueda-Lewis
Samuelson
Tuck
Dolson

Eh, personally, I think you have to put more into it than just POY awards (and Lieberman). Umm, AA's, Rebounds, Steals, points, shooting percentages, NC's all should go into it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have a long list of players before I'd get to Gabby -fabulous though she were.
Bascom
Dolson
Hartley
Montgomery
Tuck
(Gabby)
(Walker)
I think I'd have to disagree with you there. Not only 2 AA's. But also top 10 in rebounding and top 5 in steals. Top 10 FG %. And led the team in Assists 2 years.

Reaction Score
Eh, personally, I think you have to put more into it than just POY awards (and Lieberman). Umm, AA's, Rebounds, Steals, points, shooting percentages, NC's all should go into it.
Well, other than Bascom, I watched every one of these players play practically every one of their UConn games - either in person or on TV. So IMO I’m eminently qualified to put together my list. :D:D

Reaction Score
It will be fascinating to see the current crop and where they end up after their UCONN careers - Will any of them be on the list, and how high will they be? Given this thread is about Azzi,[only 9 more posts to get to 400] I believe she (and Paige) will be vying for tier 1 honors when all is said and done Imagine if Paige stays for 5 years!
That’s why I left a blank slot on Mt. Rushmore :cool:

Reaction Score
You guys made me go back and look at this again. I think the difference for me was, while they both scored a lot, Collier was also top 10 rebounder for UCONN (ahead of Stewart) and top 10 in blocks.
Thank you

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

1605740577500.png

I'm not sure about the new logo decision to give the Husky an "Olaf on crack" nose.
It's creepy.

Reaction Score
That's some great homework! IMHO it would also be useful to note the number of times they were 1st or 2nd team AA. One gets on the wall of honor for making it once, but some players on the list made it 4 times, others only 1.

It will be fascinating to see the current crop and where they end up after their UCONN careers - Will any of them be on the list, and how high will they be? Given this thread is about Azzi, I believe she (and Paige) will be vying for tier 1 honors when all is said and done Imagine if Paige stays for 5 years!
Haha - Homework was easy - look at the table I found in very first Google result... (Scroll down and click “Notable players”)

Then I checked Liebermans too, to give Sue a bump.

Reaction Score
With regard to Azzi, the first time I saw her as a 9th grader, this was my primary thought: 3,036. Maya’s career scoring mark.
If all goes according to plan, Azzi should play in 4 national championship games, instead of 2, that will probably help her catch Maya, I also expect her to pass Kelsey Mitchell as the NCAAW all time career leader in 3 pointers made.

Reaction Score
I fully appreciate what a difficult task you have undertaken. But I can't see putting Collier and Samuelson in 4 and Cash in 3. I could probably pick a few more nits, but I'm not convinced I won't change my mind in a few hours.
Agree, Cash should be in 2 and Collier in 3 just my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom