Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So does this mean every other coach now wants to play Uconn next season?

Bigger question for me is how long does Geno stay on after next season. He has made some statements that winning a championship is very hard, or something like that. Hard just became harder.

Reaction Score
UConn will be just fine next year. The lineup will look a little different, the style will be a little different, and there will be some unique challenges, but we'll be fine. See how ND likes the feeling of being the favorites and everyone expecting it to win every game all year long. We'll be the hunters next season.
Please define what you mean by , "UCONN will be fine."

Do you mean we will win our AAC championship? Stay undefeated against SMU?

Do you mean we will make the NCAA tournament?

Do you mean we will come just as close next year to winning it all, as we did this year? And the year before that?

Or do you mean we will have a fun team to watch, made up of fantastic young women athletes, who will play well and be competitive?

Maybe that is the right answer. Maybe we have to throw those championship expectations out the window and be happy. Maybe that is much better. I know it is a lot easier.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
AAC does not look like such a pushover now. ;):confused::rolleyes::oops::mad:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There’s a reason she played more minutes than them...not ever minute counts the same either if you’re going by that standard. Z, played mop up minutes a lot. So was she our best scorer, also?? Hahaha flawed argument. As for Gabby, she’s now averaged less rebounds per game than Pheesa the last 2 years. Don’t mistake flash with production.

Stevens' production per minute was pretty great. She was 2nd or 3rd in efficiency throughout the nation.

Gabby averaged the same amount of rebounds as Collier this year in fewer minutes, a better rebounding rate. Collier was just slightly better in 2016-2017.

Again, there is no height. Height was a problem this year and that was with 6-6 and Gabby who played far bigger than her actual size.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
if you don't play well in practice you won't play well in the game....you have to earn Geno's trust......that's what you all keep saying so I'm just repeating the mantra.....gotta be consistent......UConn won't be UConn if Geno changes his philosophy..I personally think 7 or 8 losses would be good for all of us...
In the words of Emerson, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Reaction Score
but only if she earns it every minute in practice...maybe Coombs and Walker with still be on the bench next year.....if Geno really wants to stick to his guns on his philosophy that's the time to do it
And you know what, if Geno Auriemma believes that Megan and Mikayla do not deserve to play, then they will not. We all understand you firmly believe Geno made a fatal mistake in not playing Megan Walker a minimum of 20 to 25 minutes a game throughout the season. We also know you have been calling for Geno to do so from virtually the beginning of the season. Last, we all believe you are saying that this season would have had a better outcome than a 36-1 record and a final four appearance had Geno played Walker (and presumably others) the way you wished. I get it. I just don’t agree with you. More to the point, neither does Geno. Put another way, you are not the man in the arena, he is and your judgments and opinions will never be put to the test as have been his for 37 years. And, yes, 11 National Championships, 11 straight (and 19 total) Final Four Appearances, and a 1027-136 record means he is right and your opinion is just that, an opinion!

Reaction Score
Wishing Azura all the best. Had hoped she would be at UConn next year, but I certainly understand her decision.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So does this mean every other coach now wants to play Uconn next season?

Bigger question for me is how long does Geno stay on after next season. He has made some statements that winning a championship is very hard, or something like that. Hard just became harder.

Well, he seemed something approaching happy after they lost to Mississippi State. If he wants the pressure off and the challenge to rebuild he's got it now. These next two classes will determine if they compete for titles again before he retires.

Reaction Score
You probably shouldn't repeat something you don't understand & clearly don't believe in.

it's certainly not hard to understand..............I've read it almost every day here and for the most part I agree with it................but every time I suggested that perhaps Geno could be a bit flexible with that approach because MW and Coombs would be needed, I was lambasted as being a fool for even questioning Geno's philosophy...........now all I hear is that MW is going to start next year...............is it not fair to ask what changed to make anyone think she deserved to see the court if her practice mentality didn't change? I believe you took a shot at me today when I added the Gregg Popovich article where several examples of his changing philosophy were cited..............you can't have it both ways just because a bit of desperation has set in folks.........

Reaction Score
Stevens' production per minute was pretty great. She was 2nd or 3rd in efficiency throughout the nation.

Gabby averaged the same amount of rebounds as Collier this year in fewer minutes, a better rebounding rate. Collier was just slightly better in 2016-2017.

Again, there is no height. Height was a problem this year and that was with 6-6 and Gabby who played far bigger than her actual size.
Why is this height argument such a big deal? We lost last year because of lack of ball handling/toughness. This year we lost because Jackie Young decided she was Maya Moore for a game. All those height issues & we haven’t lost a game in the last 2 years to the bigger team. Everyone is overreacting with a couple of fluke games. It happens.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We're pretty screwed next year. I mean Lou, Collier, and Crystal are great and all, but that's literally the entire team right now.

Screwed is harsh. That's literally three potential 1st team All-Americans... not including the contributions of Walker (who we KNOW will be better next year) and the contributions from the likely FOY in Christyn Williams who is so far ahead of the rest of her classmates its not even fair.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

No height? As info, if UConn starts Lou, Pheesa and either Touly or Megan upfront, they’re bigger than ND’s front 3 this year.

Reaction Score
UConn will be just fine next year. The lineup will look a little different, the style will be a little different, and there will be some unique challenges, but we'll be fine. See how ND likes the feeling of being the favorites and everyone expecting it to win every game all year long. We'll be the hunters next season.
Fine in the AAC, that's about it.

Reaction Score
Bottom line. Will we miss Gabby, Z & Kia. Absolutely! But how much more did we think we would miss Stewie, Mo & Tuck?? We still have Pheesa, Lou & CD and some young talent that will get the opportunity they didn’t get last year. I have a lot of faith, STILL.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Why is this height argument such a big deal? We lost last year because of lack of ball handling/toughness. This year we lost because Jackie Young decided she was Maya Moore for a game. All those height issues & we haven’t lost a game in the last 2 years to the bigger team. Everyone is overreacting with a couple of fluke games. It happens.

A Jackie Young who is listed at 6-0 (bit of a stretch) and who grabbed 11 rebounds, 6 offensive. That wasn't size, it was "want to." UConn can use a little more of that next season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Those may have been fluke games, but those rosters aren't coming back to avenge them. And the height issues of the last two teams just got significantly worse.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No height? As info, if UConn starts Lou, Pheesa and either Touly or Megan upfront, they’re bigger than ND’s front 3 this year.

KLS plays on the perimeter so her height doesn't really factor in here. Walker has nice size but Gabby Williams she isn't. Camara has yet to show she can play more than a few minutes in mop-up time.

Reaction Score
Everybody... chill out! In Geno I Trust. We'll be very competitive next season, will return to March Madness in 2019, and perhaps with a last-second desperation shot, may even win the NC. It'll all work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
And you know what, if Geno Auriemma believes that Megan and Mikayla do not deserve to play, then they will not. We all understand you firmly believe Geno made a fatal mistake in not playing Megan Walker a minimum of 20 to 25 minutes a game throughout the season. We also know you have been calling for Geno to do so from virtually the beginning of the season. Last, we all believe you are saying that this season would have had a better outcome than a 36-1 record and a final four appearance had Geno played Walker (and presumably others) the way you wished. I get it. I just don’t agree with you. More to the point, neither does Geno. Put another way, you are not the man in the arena, he is and your judgments and opinions will never be put to the test as have been his for 37 years. And, yes, 11 National Championships, 11 straight (and 19 total) Final Four Appearances, and a 1027-136 record means he is right and your opinion is just that, an opinion!

very well put.................and yes call me crazy but I do believe that MW may very well have made a difference in that game but we will never know because she was left languishing on the bench..........all I ask is for a little consistency..........you want to say my opinion can't possibly be right because Geno said she wasn't good enough............. that's fine but then don't all of a sudden call MW the second coming because you need her to perform next year due to others leaving unexpectedly............

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Apparently you guys didn’t watch the Batouly I did. She missed how many layups against competition that had basically given up by the time she was in. She may have to play for defense & rebounding purposes but goodness I hope she doesn’t have aspirations of being a scorer.

I’m thinking the staff was caught off guard a bit by this, as we all were. Knowing this early could have changed the landscape of their recruiting if they could tell a post that Azura is leaving & there will be a starting spot up for grabs.
For the time being, I am calling it rust and lack of confidence after injury. I'm hopeful that we'll see a different player in the fall. Physically, she is just what we needed this year and will need even more next year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
it's certainly not hard to understand....I've read it almost every day here and for the most part I agree with it......but every time I suggested that perhaps Geno could be a bit flexible with that approach because MW and Coombs would be needed, I was lambasted as being a fool for even questioning Geno's philosophy......now all I hear is that MW is going to start next year.....is it not fair to ask what changed to make anyone think she deserved to see the court if her practice mentality didn't change? I believe you took a shot at me today when I added the Gregg Popovich article where several examples of his changing philosophy were cited....you can't have it both ways just because a bit of desperation has set in folks....
I too got into a conversation about Walker and Coombs suddenly grasping the UConn way over the summer and being possible starters in November. I was called something not nice but I still believe that the odds are against it but one can hope.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom