Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I think this will be Geno's most challenging season since maybe 2011-12 when they lost Moore, but UCONN will still be a heavy Final Four favorite and should be the #2 preseason team in the country.

Doubt they're top-5 now. No depth, no size, two best defenders gone, two best rebounders gone.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
based on Geno's strange rotation last year..... Kyla Irwin..
I've gotta think it's Megan. Unless he wants to go with Olivia.

Kyla is a smart player, but her athleticism is not close to elite.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I never thought she would leave so I am really surprised but what can you do?

I wonder if part of her decision process was that in this draft, she may be considered the 2nd best center after Wilson. MR's stock is not that high I believe so she may think she would be picked earlier than MR, Gulich or Vadeeva?

2018 WNBA Mock Draft - WNBA - DraftSite.com

The following year, she would be competing with Brown and McCowan + others I am not sure of?

Other opinions by those more knowlegdeable regarding draft positioning are welcome.

Reaction Score
So who is our post player next year? Kyla? If I'm Geno I go all in on ONO from day one. If next year is going to be a rebuilding year of sorts (by UConn standards of course), then let's get something out of it.

but only if she earns it every minute in practice.............maybe Coombs and Walker with still be on the bench next year..........if Geno really wants to stick to his guns on his philosophy that's the time to do it

Reaction Score
It doesn’t need to be a grad transfer. Often the NCAA will allow a transfer to play without sitting out a year. As long as the transfer is for personal reasons.
Really? Has that happened recently?

Reaction Score
Doubt they're top-5 now. No depth, no size, two best defenders gone, two best rebounders gone.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure their best rebounder this year was Pheesa. Two best scorers back & best playmaker (CD) back. Will for sure be top 5.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's too bad that Stevens didn't get to play last year, for personal reasons. Basically a wasted year, thanks to the NCAA....
Considering that Duke launched an investigation of JPM and the Georgetown coaching situation was a mess a few years ago, a case could have been made for both Natalie and Azura to play immediately. Certainly, they had a stronger case than Shepard.

Reaction Score
I've gotta think it's Megan. Unless he wants to go with Olivia.

Kyla is a smart player, but her athleticism is not close to elite.

According to Geno Megan's clearly not ready........if she was she'd have played at least one minute in the semis.................

Reaction Score
Oh he'd consider it, the question is whether they'd be ready to contribute.

Right now it looks like:

Crystal
Lou
Pheesa
Megan
Batouly
Likely, you are correct.

And if anyone makes progress ( gets lucky recruiting ), we may finally lose an AAC game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
but only if she earns it every minute in practice...maybe Coombs and Walker with still be on the bench next year.....if Geno really wants to stick to his guns on his philosophy that's the time to do it
Geno's philosophy is somewhat flexible. He had 6 really good players ahead of Megan et al. this year. He played freshmen Renee, Tina, Stefanie, and Bria, not because they were fully ready, but because they were the best options at their respective positions.

Reaction Score
Haha guys we have an AA post player still. Her name is Napheesa Collier. Relax! ONO, Camara (spot minutes) & maybe a grad transfer will be our other bodies down low.
A " Grad Transfer?" Like some 6'5" All American has been waiting for this opportunity?

Maybe in Nigeria.

Reaction Score
Really? Has that happened recently?

exactly...........do you think Shepard is having second thoughts about ND..........I hear she's psychologically exhausted after winning the NC...............I know of an opening in Storrs.......

Reaction Score
If we knew Stevens would leave after this year, why not go for a waiver last year? I hear they hand those out like candy. Jess ask Notre Dame.

The NCAA can retroactively give her eligibility for last year. It doesn’t happen often, but given the circumstances, it might happen.

Reaction Score
According to Geno Megan's clearly not ready...if she was she'd have played at least one minute in the semis.......

She was ready when she was on the floor against ND when the team rallied down 10 in December. And when she scored 18 pts at UCLA.

Megan got nixed for the same reason Azura our toughest matchup for ND and MSU only got 27 minutes on Friday. He was blindly loyal to the returning starters. Believe or not there were some teams they didn't match up well with as a unit. And that includes Samuelson.

Reaction Score
Geno's philosophy is somewhat flexible. He had 6 really good players ahead of Megan et al. this year. He played freshmen Renee, Tina, Stefanie, and Bria, not because they were fully ready, but because they were the best options at their respective positions.

no, no, it's about earning your time in practice.........I fully expect Molly and Kyla to get major minutes because nobody practices better then they do

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
According to Geno Megan's clearly not ready...if she was she'd have played at least one minute in the semis.......
See the part about having 6 solid players in front of her. Next year there are 3. That makes a BIG difference.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
At least Crystal has a sense of humor:

"I was talking to CD (associate head coach Chris Dailey) the other day. Olivia runs the floor hard. She has a motor that's different than most high school kids. Now that I know what a motor is supposed to look like, she has a good one."

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing.png

Reaction Score
See the part about having 6 solid players in front of her. Next year there are 3. That makes a BIG difference.

I could be wrong, but I think he is mocking Geno's reasons for not even using Megan as a 7th player role this year, not trying to develop her due to bad practices. It was a costly error.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom