Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only if he's drinking
Oh he'd consider it, the question is whether they'd be ready to contribute.

Right now it looks like:

Crystal
Lou
Pheesa
Megan
Batouly

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow--huge surprise. I thought for sure she'd stick around another year, especially with the loss on Friday.

Massive loss for UCONN next year....I think Stevens would've benefitted immensely from another year under Geno rather than opting in right now. Gotta hope ONO is ready to battle inside. Or big development from Camara and Walker in the offseason.

Talk about a crazy swing in events from just a week or so ago. Last week I assumed she'd be back, Ezi was coming to Storrs, and UCONN was a heavy favorite against ND.

Reaction Score
Wow--huge surprise. I thought for sure she'd stick around another year, especially with the loss on Friday.

Massive loss for UCONN next year....I think Stevens would've benefitted immensely from another year under Geno rather than opting in right now. Gotta hope ONO is ready to battle inside. Or big development from Camara and Walker in the offseason.

Talk about a crazy swing in events from just a week or so ago. Last week I assumed she'd be back, Ezi was coming to Storrs, and UCONN was a heavy favorite against ND.
We're pretty screwed next year. I mean Lou, Collier, and Crystal are great and all, but that's literally the entire team right now.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
We won’t have a true center but we didn’t have 1 two years ago & were fine.

You guys had Gabby though who played like a 6-4 post. Camara/Walker need to improve big time, or ONO will have to be a big contributor. Somehow I think UCONN will still end up being UCONN and everything will work out fine. Matching up with Baylor and Notre Dame looks like a more difficult task now.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
We're pretty screwed next year. I mean Lou, Collier, and Crystal are great and all, but that's literally the entire team right now.

Well, you have those three plus two other number one recruits and a top 5 incoming freshman....I'm not feeling too bad for you guys.

Reaction Score
Also, if you had told me at the start of the year that Z would leave, I would have given Megan a lot more run than someone that was just using the program for a year to get to the next level. I'm actually kinda pissed about this.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Not surprised. We had this discussion last summer and while many expressed the view that Geno had a two-year "commitment" from Z, I thought H.L. Menken's line, "When they tell you it's not about money, it's about money" would prevail. I'm sorry to have gotten this one right.

The Menken observation and my prediction, aside, you guys know way more about this than I do so does this mean CW is a near-lock to start as a freshman? Can a front line of Pheesa, Lou and Walker get enough rebounds? Is it possible that ONO starts?

Time for you astute, long-time UConn women's basketball observers to make some assessments.

Reaction Score
Oh he'd consider it, the question is whether they'd be ready to contribute.

Right now it looks like:

Crystal
Lou
Pheesa
Megan
Batouly
Apparently you guys didn’t watch the Batouly I did. She missed how many layups against competition that had basically given up by the time she was in. She may have to play for defense & rebounding purposes but goodness I hope she doesn’t have aspirations of being a scorer.
Also, if you had told me at the start of the year that Z would leave, I would have given Megan a lot more run than someone that was just using the program for a year to get to the next level. I'm actually kinda pissed about this.
I’m thinking the staff was caught off guard a bit by this, as we all were. Knowing this early could have changed the landscape of their recruiting if they could tell a post that Azura is leaving & there will be a starting spot up for grabs.

Reaction Score
So who is our post player next year? Kyla? If I'm Geno I go all in on ONO from day one. If next year is going to be a rebuilding year of sorts (by UConn standards of course), then let's get something out of it.

Reaction Score
Good for her. Why play for free when you can get paid. Good luck to Z, being on the team for two Final Fours is nothing to sneeze at.

Reaction Score
Our starters who had amazing chemistry two seasons ago after the Big Three departed basically had to accommodate Z coming in and trying to learn the system thus sacrificing some of their game last season. I hope Geno thinks long and hard next time this situation comes up.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Apparently you guys didn’t watch the Batouly I did. She missed how many layups against competition that had basically given up by the time she was in. She may have to play for defense & rebounding purposes but goodness I hope she doesn’t have aspirations of being a scorer.

I’m thinking the staff was caught off guard a bit by this, as we all were. Knowing this early could have changed the landscape of their recruiting if they could tell a post that Azura is leaving & there will be a starting spot up for grabs.

I'm not sure how it could have changed recruiting. They recruited Charli Collier and she committed and then changed her mind to stay closer to home. They recruited Prince but she wanted to stay home. They recruited ONO and she's coming. They recruited Ezi and she decided to stay in Australia (it was a close call). I'm not sure what they would have or could have done differently for the class of 2018.

Reaction Score
So who is our post player next year? Kyla? If I'm Geno I go all in on ONO from day one. If next year is going to be a rebuilding year of sorts (by UConn standards of course), then let's get something out of it.
Haha guys we have an AA post player still. Her name is Napheesa Collier. Relax! ONO, Camara (spot minutes) & maybe a grad transfer will be our other bodies down low.

Reaction Score
I can't take much more heartbreak..... First we lose to ND.... Then ND win's the championship.... Now we lose Z. :( I wish Z the best. She'll always be a Husky. Nobody post any other bad news please :p

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How many players will be on the team next year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom