Autumn enters transfer portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Autumn enters transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Autumn got to live (and enjoy) her dream of playing at UConn. She spent a year at her dream school being part of an elite program, and being coached by one of the best coaches in wcbb. Those memories will stay with her forever. Things she learned this past year (on and off the court) have become part of her, and will make her a better person and player. She's been exposed to the "UConn" way of playing basketball. Something she could not have gotten anywhere else. But she's a player, and players want to play! I think everyone here can understand, appreciate and respect that.

Now it's time for her to turn the page and find a place that will not only give her a "full ride" scholarship, but also afford her an opportunity to play meaningful minutes throughout the rest of her college career. She still has 4 more years of eligibility left. No doubt there are lots of potential landing spots that can not only use her skills and experience, but would simply be glad to have her. She'll be fine.

There is no doubt she will find that place, and soon. Who knows, maybe Shea will offer her. She certainly knows her well, and is familiar with what she brings to the table. Perhaps a small low to mid-major program close to home where the pressure and expectations are a bit lower, than at elite top 5 ranked UConn; where the goal every year is championship or bust. There is a program out there somewhere that's perfect for her. All she has to do is find it (if she hasn't already).

Like others here have stated, I too will follow her as she transitions to another program and resumes her dream of playing women's college basketball. Autumn, it was a pleasure to have you. I'm excited for what lies ahead for you.

I completely agree with EricLA who said: "Best of luck Autumn! Once a Husky, always a Husky. You will always have an entire nation of fans rooting for you wherever you go and whatever you do!!" :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Autumn enjoyed her dream of playing at UConn. She spent a year at her dream school being part of an elite program. Those memories will stay with her forever. Things she learned this past year (on and off the court) have become part of her, and make her a better person and player. She's been exposed to the "UConn" way of playing basketball. Something she could not get anywhere else. She's a player, and players want to play! I think everyone here can understand and appreciate that.

Now it's time for her to turn the page and find a place that will give her a "full ride" scholarship, and afford her an opportunity to play meaningful minutes throughout the entire season. No doubt there are lots of potential landing spots that can only use her skills and experience, but would be glad to have her. She'll be fine. There is no doubt she will find that place, and soon. Who knows, maybe Shea will offer her. She certainly knows her well, and what she brings to the table.

Like others here have stated, I too will follow her as she transitions to another program and resumes her dream of playing women's college basketball. Good luck Autumn. It was a pleasure to have you. Needless to say, we wish you all the best. You will always be a Husky. :)
wherever she lands at least she knows practices are going to be a piece of cake............. :)

Reaction Score
The transfer portal is like posting your resume on monster.com -- you do it to let folks know you're available. Walk-ons at Syracuse and South Carolina have already put themselves in the portal.

I doubt she would get major playing time at Vandy, but if Shea wants a good kid, good teammate, and someone who would understand what she's trying to do, she'd be great.

Best of luck to her.

Reaction Score
I'd guess that she tried out for the team with the hope of eventually gaining a scholarship, similar to Lawlor/Pulido. Now with Geno stacking talent, the opportunity to eventually put her on scholarship is shrinking. With the Connecticut name, she hopefully will be able to find a mid-major type program that will offer her one. If that's the case, I think it's an excellent decision for her. Best of luck!

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I am at an age where I just want any kid to be happy much as I love the Huskies. However, the word nerd in me would love for her to go to Texas Tech.... Just to say the Autumn Wind is a Raider.

Reaction Score
Interesting thing about the portal - it became mandatory for all Div I transfer requests once it was implemented in 2018:

Of the 10,000 Division I student-athletes entered in the portal, 25% were football players. About 50% of Division I football players in the portal were walk-ons who receive no athletics financial aid and likely were seeking scholarship offers from other schools.

what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is

Reaction Score
Perhaps because she now has UConn experience on her CV and may now be more "Scholarship-able."
Agree, I don't know if she was offered any athletic scholarships out of High School; but, her year at UConn and going into the portal from UConn has to put her in a much belter position for a scholarship and into a better program.

A lesser known fact about college is that if a student does well academically, they are often accepted as transfers into schools that would not have accepted them out of High school.

Consider also how well a number of UConn players (not all certainly) who transferred, performed well. Some went from bench players to starters in some good programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went back and double-checked because I had recalled reading that Autumn had scholarship offers prior to last year so it wasn't an issue of not getting any offers. They just weren't to schools she was sure she wanted to play for and Uconn had offered her a walk-on spot. It had always been her dream to play at Uconn so she decided to give it a shot. Now a year later things have changed with less playing time available she probably decided it was best to see if the scholarship opportunities are better this time around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This whole transfer thing is very bitter sweet. I hope autumn finds a school that she’s very happy with. Hopefully a decent basketball school with a good med program. She deserves it. She was a good teammate and a good husky best of luck

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Best of luck, Autumn!

cbc kids ok GIF by CBC

Wish you the best Autumn!

Reaction Score
Agree, I don't know if she was offered any athletic scholarships out of High School; but, her year at UConn and going into the portal from UConn has to put her in a much belter position for a scholarship and into a better program.
Yes she received a top 10 school offer.

At the DI level, most of Autumn’s offers came from low-major schools. However, there was one power conference school that was in the AP Top 10 as recently as last season that showed interest, pulled off but then came back late in the process with an offer.

Reaction Score
I mentioned it earlier in the month that our roster wasn't done yet for next year. And, to this day I still don't believe that its complete. We'll see in due time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two thoughts:
  1. College athletes put in an enormous amount of hard work and sacrifice, too much imo if you don't actually get the opportunity to play very much. So from that perspective, I completely understand Autumn's decision and I wish her well.
  2. At present, UConn has exactly 1 WBB scholarship remaining to hand out. I have to believe that when Autumn walked on at UConn, she and her family were hopeful she could work hard and earn a full ride, similar to Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. Is it possible that Geno advised her that he would not have an additional scholarship to give her? Just sayin......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two thoughts:
  1. College athletes put in an enormous amount of hard work and sacrifice, too much imo if you don't actually get the opportunity to play much. So from that perspective, I completely understand Autumn's decision and I wish her well.
  2. At present, UConn has exactly 1 WBB scholarship remaining to hand out. I have to believe that when Autumn walked on at UConn, she and her family were hopeful she could work hard and earn a full ride, similar to Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. Is it possible that Geno advised her that he would not have an additional scholarship to give her? Just sayin......
Agree, this is the very logic assumption. May be we will have a transfer announce soon ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom