August WNBA thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Another weird stat was Ionescu was 1-12 for 5 pts with 6 TOs & 0 steals in a crucial victory
NY has some talent around Ionescu for sure. I sometimes question Laney's shot selection, but she hit some tough ones. Johannes had it going. Dolson had a good game. Howard finished strong. They've got a bunch of X factor type of players, any of which can go off any given game. Dangerfield, Whitcomb, Allen, Xu all have their moments.

Reaction Score
But Ezi is super well rested. :rolleyes:
And she should be in the lineup, the defense went from league best to league worst with Tina in the lineup. In the playoffs defense will win games.
Tina should go back to the bench, and come in depending who they are playing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sky gave the starters plenty of rest but still cruised to an easy win. Maybe the Merc finally hit the wall w/ all they've been dealing with. Maybe Chicago should've thrown this game, now they face the Liberty in the 1st Round. Had they lost they would've gotten Phoenix.

Dallas and LA in a completely meaningless night cap. After an exciting day, gonna be hard for this game to generate much interest.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sky gave the starters plenty of rest but still cruised to an easy win. Maybe the Merc finally hit the wall w/ all they've been dealing with. Maybe Chicago should've thrown this game, now they face the Liberty in the 1st Round. Had they lost they would've gotten Phoenix.

Dallas and LA in a completely meaningless night cap. After an exciting day, gonna be hard for this game to generate much interest.
OK. Let's make a prediction with Dallas. Coach J will play starting lineup first half to keep them "game sharp," but wouldn't be surprised if you see a Charli Collier sighting the entire second half. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
OK. Let's make a prediction with Dallas. Coach J will play starting lineup first half to keep them "game sharp," but wouldn't be surprised if you see a Charli Collier sighting the entire second half. Stay tuned.
So far, so good. But, the other end of the benchers around the W got a few minutes in the 1st half as well as extended time in the 2nd (and no other team won the half by 37). Is Charli going to become the Anthony Bennett of the WNBA?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So far, so good. But, the other end of the benchers around the W got a few minutes in the 1st half as well as extended time in the 2nd (and no other team won the half by 37). Is Charli going to become the Anthony Bennett of the WNBA?
Whew, well she got in with just under 10 minutes left. While she scored 7 points, she also had 4 personal fouls and 3 turnovers and was outhustled more than a few times by Olivia N-O. And she had more than a few ole defenses on any Sparks drive. Regarding the latter, with Dallas up by 30+ most of the 2nd half, this was -- as Marv Albert would say -- extended garbage time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No Nneka today for LA. Sykes went for 35, she really played well down the stretch of the season, but it didn't help LA at all. They were pretty much done when Cambage bailed.

Reaction Score
Wilson probably locked up MVP. I understand why it was close all season but would raise my eyebrows at a voter who went for the best player on the 4th best team over the best player on the 1st (although if you were ever going to make that case, Stewart would be the one you’d make it for).
MVP? Idk man some ppl here said a few weeks back she was the 3rd option on the team and Plum should win Mvp lol... I guess after that Plum airball 3 that changed ;)

Reaction Score
Agreed. The tipping point besides being on the best team is that she has really improved her 3pt shooting on par with Stewie (both around 38%) which I never thought would happen. That raises eyebrows.
Great point. Wilson shot a handful of threes her senior season at SC and takes and makes enough mid- to long-range jumpers that Aces fans have been waiting for this for years. It took Hammon coming in to greenlight it, but I think this will be a permanent addition to Wilson’s game. To go from not shooting beyond the arc at all to hitting 38% on about one make per game is impressive.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Classless on Dallas
Agree. Yes, save for Sykes, LA was just not there, but no need for this. Besides, what goes round, comes round

BTW, the Wings players in no way acted this way (I watched this game until the end), so this does not extend to the folks who did the actual thrashing. In particular, Mabrey -- who played for the Sparks -- was chatting it up with Sykes and other former teammates.

Reaction Score
It was a picture of a dumpster on the fire, and that caption went something like, "The only Sparks we seen tonight."

I thought it was funny.
Thanks for answering, I was curious too. I'm surprised they would take that down, considering that most of the team's social medias have being taking shots at each other all season following a win.

I will say that Dallas has deleted at least 3-4 tweets in the past two years because they posted something was either completely inappropriate or over the top. Perhaps they were asked to take it down because it was a little too close to the truth.

Reaction Score
It was the truth though. I thought it was hilarious.

Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The article does not say Women's or Men's Auburn program? Does he have collegiate coaching / recruiting experience?

Reaction Score
The article does not say Women's or Men's Auburn program? Does he have collegiate coaching / recruiting experience?
Women's team. He has plenty of experience, but it was all a long time ago. If your two other assistants are decent recruiters, having one older assistant with a different perspective is not a terrible idea.

Reaction Score
He has coaching experience. As for recruiting experience, I am sure that he can recruit as well. I mean it is Auburn, so you will get what you can get and work on skill development. All you need is one or two solid recruits to turn your program around.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
We don't seem to have a catch all for WNBA awards, and it probably doesn't belong in the playoff thread. Jackie Young just named Most Improved Player.

Reaction Score
We don't seem to have a catch all for WNBA awards, and it probably doesn't belong in the playoff thread. Jackie Young just named Most Improved Player.
The three best players in the WNBA are Candace, EDD, and Stewie. Maybe none of them get MVP, but you can't take them out of the game. All 3 can play defense rebound take the ball the length of the floor, pass, score. JJ has that ability but doesn't have the attitude to dominate. EDD talked about playing in Seattle's new arena. Could you imagine her on the same team as Stewie and Loyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom