August WNBA thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the sound of things it would be a good one.
When Sophie is a distant 4th (5th including Nygaard), on the most controversial team member ranking this year, you know that you have something spicy.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
With the talk about players quitting on their teams, I couldn't help but think back to Sylvia Fowles forcing a trade from the Chicago Sky in 2015. She was under contract and refused to play during the first half of the 2015 season, forcing the Sky to trade her.

Did Fowles quit on her team? If so, people seem to have forgotten it and/or forgiven her for that.

Reaction Score
With the talk about players quitting on their teams, I couldn't help but think back to Sylvia Fowles forcing a trade from the Chicago Sky in 2015. She was under contract and refused to play during the first half of the 2015 season, forcing the Sky to trade her.

Did Fowles quit on her team? If so, people seem to have forgotten it and/or forgiven her for that.
I was just thinking about this on Friday. The Sky had a potential contender with Fowles, EDD, Cappie, Vandersloot, Quigley, a young Betnijah & Cheyenne, and a few solid role players as well as Syl's long-time (LSU) coach, Wanda Sykes, I mean Pokey Chatman. I think Fowles said she needed a change (wasn't very specific) and was very limited on which destination(s) would be acceptable for a trade.

I guess all of her goodwill, charity, and being an absolute class act trumps that episode?

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

It was 7 years ago...time usually makes people move on. That said, I agree she quit on the 2015 team to chase a title (in similar fashion to Tina Charles this year). The trade put Chicago in an awful spot considering she'd only accept going to Minnesota and in return they got a declining Erika De Souza while Fowles entered the peak of her career. And then a year later, EDD followed suit and demanded a trade to Washington. The Sky could've been a dominant force for years with EDD/Fowles/Vandersloot in the lineup together in the heights of their careers. Glad the Sky have recovered well the last couple of years and Sloot got her title.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
IMO, the Dream's best chance is an explosion (with 45+ fg%) by Howard, but I don't anticipate that happening to carry them to victory.
She has not had a strong finish to the season. Extremely inefficient. She's had almost no impact in a couple of games I've watched recently.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Moriah not having a good game as Lynx trail Sun 45-34 at half.

Backup Lyndsay Allen far more effective. I expect her to play as much as possible 2nd half.

Reaction Score
She has not had a strong finish to the season. Extremely inefficient. She's had almost no impact in a couple of games I've watched recently.
100%. Sorta like a heavyweight fight where the 5:1 underdog has a "puncher's chance."

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Moriah not having a good game as Lynx trail Sun 45-34 at half.

Backup Lyndsay Allen far more effective. I expect her to play as much as possible 2nd half.
Allen leading Minnesota with 17 points and 5 triples. Coming into today she was 2-7 from deep on the season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Allen leading Minnesota with 17 points and 5 triples. Coming into today she was 2-7 from deep on the season.
I have always liked Allen alot Great decision maker and mid range but the 3pt outburst is remarkable. Now up to 6-7 from 3 and 24 pts Still, she is the only one playing well and the Sun collectively are burying the Lynx.

Same weird dynamic in Liberty game as Johannes is single handedly leading the Liberty with 4-4 from 3. The Friday game she was invisible. The game to game fluctuations of player performance seems so much more in the WNBA than the NBA

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Huge congrats to the unsung Mercury players (Deshields, Cunningham, Gustafson, Peddy, Turner) for making the playoffs this year despite all of the on and off the court issues that have plagued their stars and coaching staff. Well deserved. Hopefully Sky/DT are healthy for the playoffs and can play some competitive basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Huge congrats to the unsung Mercury players (Deshields, Cunningham, Gustafson, Peddy, Turner) for making the playoffs this year despite all of the on and off the court issues that have plagued their stars and coaching staff. Well deserved. Hopefully Sky/DT are healthy for the playoffs and can play some competitive basketball.
Didn't the Mercury dissolve Skylar's contract?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces looking like that game against the Sky earlier in the season. Were up 10 late in Q1. Now down 12 about halfway thru Q2. Turning the ball over constantly. Just look awful.

Reaction Score
Seattle leading the Aces in the second quarter. The starters have played a lot of minutes. It’s baffling why Quinn is having the starters, except Charles, play a lot of minutes. They locked the 4th seed

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle leading the Aces in the second quarter. The starters have played a lot of minutes. It’s baffling why Quinn is having the starters, except Charles, play a lot of minutes. They locked the 4th seed
Prince, January and Talbot were on the floor for quite a bit of Seattle's big run when they went from down 10 to up 10.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Congrats to NY on clinching a playoff berth. Up and down season, but 3 straight wins at the end when they really needed them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Natasha Howard missed some FTs down the stretch, but she hit a huge 3 to go up by 4 and grabbed a handful of D boards.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Weird game for R. Howard. Scored 24 on only 6 made FG. 6-18 overall, 5-12 behind the arc, 7-8 from the FT line. I can't even make up my mind if that's a good game or not?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Why doesn’t Didi Richards play? Is she hurt?
Too many players who are wings. Laney is back, she logged 27 minutes. Allen and Jonannes played 18 and 24 off the bench. Whitcomb only got 2 minutes. Onyenwere 7 minutes. Who are you going to sit? Willoughby was also a DNP.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Weird game for R. Howard. Scored 24 on only 6 made FG. 6-18 overall, 5-12 behind the arc, 7-8 from the FT line. I can't even make up my mind if that's a good game or not?
Well, 7 assists, 0 TO's tips the scales. Maya Caldwell was hot in 1st half and did not seem to play many minutes in 2nd half?

Reaction Score
Great day for some basketball!! Holy smokes! New York/Atlanta was INTENSE!! Great game by both teams. This Seattle/Las Vegas game is back and forth. Washington/Indiana, Washington should hold on in this one. My Minnesota Lynx...tough one. Down 19-20 range and fought back. Just not enough in the tank to finish off a really solid Connecticut Sun team. Great win by the Sun. Shortly we got Chicago/Phoenix and later Los Angeles/Dallas. Great day for some basketball!!

Reaction Score
would have liked to seen the ending of dream-liberty but Abc thought a meaningless game between the Sun and Lynx was more important oh well, reason 52529539 why the Wnba never succeeds.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Vegas keeps looking dead in the water, then going on runs to get back in it. They just went 12-0 in the last 2 minutes of Q3 to take their first lead since Q1.

Loyd and Wilson are both lighting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom