Assistant coaching news... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
One thing we can all say on here is this...if Cummings or Foley can get the OL back to straight up crushing and mauling guys on the line of scrimmage..the remaining guys at QB, WR and RB can do things with the ball if given a chance. The pass/run mix is nice to see though. Still scratching my head over this choice...only because of keeping Foley. If Foley goes to TE coach and Cummings comes in like GDL and changes the blocking scheme or his coaching style doesn't mix with the guys at OL...with Foley being there coaching the TE's it will be the same s_h_i_t all over again. Diaco's honeymoon will end quickly if the O sputters after this hire given the last 3 seasons of what we have had here.

Reaction Score
Okay, now I'm going to be EXTREMELY cautiously optimistic. He also said he's on the field on gameday and not in the box, which is odd for an OC. Again....EXTREMELY cautiously optimistic...

I wonder if he got to the call the plays this year? Maybe he is not going to be an OC here.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wonder if he got to the call the plays this year? Maybe he is not going to be an OC here.

If that's true, that might be even worse. Because that would mean for sure that he is coming in as an OLine coach and Foley will be relegated to something else (making even less sense why BD kept him in the first place). As Sportsart said, I HAVE to believe that Foley is in charge of the OLine, otherwise why keep him?

But who knows. You could be right. Hopefully, the horde is knocking down Diaco's door right now to provide some answers in tomorrow's papers...

Reaction Score
The corniness of the term energy vampire has now exceeded its ability to excite. Good concept needs a better hook.

How about energy suck? Energy sink, for the more delicate?

As in, the term energy vampire has become an energy suck.

A little DJ lingo, pump it or dump it (Energy that is)

Reaction Score
I saw that earlier. Maybe Dez is wrong.

Would we hire an OC who doesn't call his own plays?
I'm at a TOTAL loss about this potential hire right now. A OC who is on the field because he needs to be with his lineman and doesn't call the plays...WTF

Reaction Score
Central Michigan has boasted one of the MAC’s top offenses during Mike Cummings’ three seasons as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach.

In 2012, Cummings directed an offense that averaged 6.2 yards per play, ranking No. 2 in the MAC, produced nearly 400 yards of offense per game, and scored 30 or more points in 10 games. The CMU running game was revitalized, as Zurlon Tipton rushed for 1,492 yards, the fourth most in a single season in program history, and 19 touchdowns. Quarterback Ryan Radcliff posted the best touchdown to interception ratio of his career (23-9) while his top two targets, Cody Wilson and Titus Davis, etched their names in the CMU record book with standout seasons.

Much of the offensive success can be attributed to the play of the CMU offensive line, which allowed just 15 sacks, ranking No. 17 nationally. Continuity was key, as four of the five up-front players started all 13 games.

Cummings has coached four All-Mid-American Conference offensive linemen over the last three seasons. Colin Miller and Jeff Maddux were both named to the 2010 All-MAC Second Team, while Eric Fisher was a Third Team selection in 2011 and was honored on the All-MAC First Team in 2012.

Fisher, who also earned All-America honors from the Associated Press and SI.com, became the highest NFL draft pick in MAC and program history when he was selected No. 1 overall by the Kansas City Chiefs in April 2013. A starter of all 13 games in 2012, Fisher flourished under Cummings’ tutelage rising from a relative unknown commodity at the beginning of the season to a national sensation following dominant performances at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine.

The Chippewas ranked in the top 25 nationally in passing offense during both of Cummings’ first two seasons. CMU ranked 25th nationally in 2011, averaging 274.2 yards per game through the air, one year after ranking 20th with a 284.0 yards per game average.

The Chippewas have thrown for 295 or more yards 16 times over the past three seasons, including six games of 350 yards or more.

Cummings has prepared his linemen to effectively play a variety of positions along the line during his tenure. In 24 games over his first two seasons, injuries forced CMU to use nine different starting lineup combinations on the offensive line. Two redshirt freshmen, Andy Phillips and Kevin Henry, combined to make nine starts in 2011, and a reshuffled line still allowed the second fewest sacks per pass attempt in the MAC (17 sacks, 458 pass attempts in 12 games).

The 2010 season marked the start of Cummings’ fourth stint at CMU. He was the Chippewas’ offensive line coach from 1992-97 and 1999, and he was a graduate assistant at CMU during the 1988 and 1989 seasons. Cummings coached seven All-MAC honorees during his previous time at CMU.

Cummings served as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Marshall from 2005-09. At least one Marshall offensive lineman earned All- Conference USA honors in each of his five seasons.

Prior to Marshall, Cummings was the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Western Michigan for three seasons.

Cummings’ career also includes stops at Eastern Michigan (defensive line/ special teams/recruiting coordinator, 2000-01), Michigan State (tight ends/ special teams, 1998), Millersville (offensive line, 1990-91) and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (offensive line, 1987).

During his collegiate coaching career, Cummings has coached 26 all- conference players, 11 academic all-conference players, three All-Americans and two freshman All-Americans.

Cummings earned three varsity letters in football at Buffalo. He earned his bachelor’s degree in physical education and exercise science from Buffalo in 1984 and his master’s degree in athletics administration from CMU in 1990.

Cummings and his wife Donna have two daughters, Elizabeth and Emily.

Reaction Score
This article REALLY makes this hire as OC a head scratcher!

Why - that's the way Enos ran EMU, doesn't mean that Diaco is going to run UConn that way?

Reaction Score
Why - that's the way Enos ran EMU, doesn't mean the Diaco is going to run UConn that way?
more about him not being in the box during the game...and more so hiring another OL guy when he kept Foley. All that does is slam pandora's box wide open when things don't go well

Reaction Score
I would bet HCBD hired our QB coach Patterson first and then they talked about every single hire after that. Patterson, will be his sounding board IMO, and then HCBD will obviously make the decision.

I think we need to keep in mind that coaches don't always get hired on their record. Some have a great coaching mind and can teach like crazy but are in the wrong system or don't have enough freedom (to call their own plays maybe?)

You can be sure that HCBD has made a ton of phone calls and then makes his decision on all factors, not just coaching record.

There is so much we don't know or see.

One thing I see is a lot of experience in his coaching staff. A smart man surrounds himself with smart people. I think HCBD is a smart man. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
I will say this about Cummings answer's to the questions he was asked in this article:
http://www.themorningsun.com/article/MS/20130309/SPORTS02/130319978

He talks about recruiting kids and coaching them up...something we have been clamoring for a while on here. From a OL coaching standpoint looks like Cummings and Foley share that passion for teaching kids how to play OL. Now if Patterson goes up into the box instead of Cummings maybe this won't be so bad. He has OC experience while at Iowa.

Reaction Score
One thing we can all say on here is this...if Cummings or Foley can get the OL back to straight up crushing and mauling guys on the line of scrimmage..the remaining guys at QB, WR and RB can do things with the ball if given a chance. The pass/run mix is nice to see though. Still scratching my head over this choice...only because of keeping Foley. If Foley goes to TE coach and Cummings comes in like GDL and changes the blocking scheme or his coaching style doesn't mix with the guys at OL...with Foley being there coaching the TE's it will be the same s_h_i_t all over again. Diaco's honeymoon will end quickly if the O sputters after this hire given the last 3 seasons of what we have had here.
PUMPING? OR DUMPING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits