Assistant coaching news... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
can someone merge our threads? For the record I beat you by a few seconds FDNY! lol
I don't think so check the front page..I have you by a minute...when my thread went up your's wasn't there...you did beat me with the bios though. I was too busy talking to my friends in PA about how much of a Schaino is..LOL

Reaction Score
I also like the trend that multiple people have been recruiting coordinators. When coupled with the fact that Diaco was a very solid recruiter at ND, it seems clear to me that there is a concerted effort going on for bringing in people that are going to get after the recruiting trail in a big way! I am pleasantly optimistic about our recruiting future, and I am hoping that we can make a late push for kids in the class of 2014...

2014 signing day is what 8 weeks away? 2014, like it or not, is a salvage effort recruiting wise, and my guess is that work is already done. I think we have some pretty good players coming, but the class probably won't change much in the next few weeks. Could be very wrong about that, and would be happy to be surprised I'm wrong in a positive way, but it is what it is.

It's the 2015 players need to be targeted now - right now. I didn't pick up that they each have been recruiting coordinators. Nice catch. That means that each of them has been involved in the timing, planning, and logistics of recruiting travel. My guess - the logical thing, is that when you break down recruiting days - days you can be out on the road recruiting, we've got a recruiting territory that is a driving radius of 350 miles of Storrs, and flying time out of Hartford of 4 hours one way. That gives you a 6 hour window of travel one way for longest distance between two points, (6hrs driving, 4 hours flight time + 2 hours airport transfer) which leaves plenty of other time in the day to actually recruit.

Or I might just be talking out my .

Reaction Score
IDK...mine says 42 min ago yours only 41! lol

Reaction Score
Who ever puts Jeff Hafley on their college staff is going to get hands down one of the best NJ (ESPECIALLY the Bergen County catholic schools) recruiter's out there!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
While you may be correct with your assessment of Warde's possible influence, I was actually thinking more along the lines of the Kelly influence. Keep in mind that Diaco and Quinn both worked under Kelly at the same time at Central Michigan (2005) and at Cincy (2009). It makes sense that the coaches that are being named are either connected to the Iowa tree or the Kelly tree (in Patterson's case, both). Again, Warde could be putting his stamp on some of this, but I think it's more likely that Diaco is leveraging his past experience with these guys...

Ah, OK. Yeah, I am not all that familiar with coaching trees. You're probably right.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I would hope Diaco was given free reign to choose his staff!

Given these guys résumés and the places they have worked coinciding with Diaco's career, I'd say these are his guys.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=204875093

Big Buffalo connection with some of these hires too....

Mike Cummings
Courtesy: CMU Athletic Communications
Release: 01/05/2012
Central Michigan has boasted one of the MAC’s top offenses during Mike Cummings’ three seasons as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach.

In 2012, Cummings directed an offense that averaged 6.2 yards per play, ranking No. 2 in the MAC, produced nearly 400 yards of offense per game, and scored 30 or more points in 10 games. The CMU running game was revitalized, as Zurlon Tipton rushed for 1,492 yards, the fourth most in a single season in program history, and 19 touchdowns. Quarterback Ryan Radcliff posted the best touchdown to interception ratio of his career (23-9) while his top two targets, Cody Wilson and Titus Davis, etched their names in the CMU record book with standout seasons.

Much of the offensive success can be attributed to the play of the CMU offensive line, which allowed just 15 sacks, ranking No. 17 nationally. Continuity was key, as four of the five up-front players started all 13 games.

Cummings has coached four All-Mid-American Conference offensive linemen over the last three seasons. Colin Miller and Jeff Maddux were both named to the 2010 All-MAC Second Team, while Eric Fisher was a Third Team selection in 2011 and was honored on the All-MAC First Team in 2012.

Fisher, who also earned All-America honors from the Associated Press and SI.com, became the highest NFL draft pick in MAC and program history when he was selected No. 1 overall by the Kansas City Chiefs in April 2013. A starter of all 13 games in 2012, Fisher flourished under Cummings’ tutelage rising from a relative unknown commodity at the beginning of the season to a national sensation following dominant performances at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine.

The Chippewas ranked in the top 25 nationally in passing offense during both of Cummings’ first two seasons. CMU ranked 25th nationally in 2011, averaging 274.2 yards per game through the air, one year after ranking 20th with a 284.0 yards per game average.

The Chippewas have thrown for 295 or more yards 16 times over the past three seasons, including six games of 350 yards or more.

Cummings has prepared his linemen to effectively play a variety of positions along the line during his tenure. In 24 games over his first two seasons, injuries forced CMU to use nine different starting lineup combinations on the offensive line. Two redshirt freshmen, Andy Phillips and Kevin Henry, combined to make nine starts in 2011, and a reshuffled line still allowed the second fewest sacks per pass attempt in the MAC (17 sacks, 458 pass attempts in 12 games).

The 2010 season marked the start of Cummings’ fourth stint at CMU. He was the Chippewas’ offensive line coach from 1992-97 and 1999, and he was a graduate assistant at CMU during the 1988 and 1989 seasons. Cummings coached seven All-MAC honorees during his previous time at CMU.

Cummings served as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Marshall from 2005-09. At least one Marshall offensive lineman earned All- Conference USA honors in each of his five seasons.

Prior to Marshall, Cummings was the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Western Michigan for three seasons.

Cummings’ career also includes stops at Eastern Michigan (defensive line/ special teams/recruiting coordinator, 2000-01), Michigan State (tight ends/ special teams, 1998), Millersville (offensive line, 1990-91) and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (offensive line, 1987).

During his collegiate coaching career, Cummings has coached 26 all- conference players, 11 academic all-conference players, three All-Americans and two freshman All-Americans.

Cummings earned three varsity letters in football at Buffalo. He earned his bachelor’s degree in physical education and exercise science from Buffalo in 1984 and his master’s degree in athletics administration from CMU in 1990.

Cummings and his wife Donna have two daughters, Elizabeth and Emily.

The Cummings File
1987Rensselaer Polytechnical InstituteOffensive Line
1988-1989Central Michigan UniversityGraduate Assistant
1990-1991Millersville UniversityOffensive Line
1992-1997Central Michigan UniversityOffensive Line
1998Michigan State UniversitySpecial Teams/Tight Ends
1999Central Michigan UniversityOffensive Line
2000-2001Eastern Michigan UniversityDefensive Line/Special Teams/Recruiting Coordinator
2002-2004Western Michigan UniversityOffensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator
2005-2009Marshall UniversityOffensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator
2010-PresentCentral Michigan UniversityOffensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
NEWS FLASH Mike Cummings new OC!

If that's true, then we have acquired YET ANOTHER recruiting coordinator guy! Holy hell...I can't wait for these guys to get on that trail! He's also an offensive line specialty guy, so I wonder if he was already in the picture when Diaco kept Foley. Hopefully, their philosophies mesh really well...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Cummings also has Recruiting Coordinator experience...his specialty is coaching the OL though. Looks like Foley will be TE coach.

I would think that he keeps Foley on the line. I'm guessing that the new OC won't want to have the dual duty, unless he is a control freak. I'm not sure about that, though. It would be a shame if Foley is stuck on TE's instead of the OLine, but we'll see. Today is going to be an exciting day!

EDIT: "Control freak" is a strong term. And it could also be that he's better at it than Foley. All will be revealed soon...

Reaction Score
Cummings also has Recruiting Coordinator experience...his specialty is coaching the OL though. Looks like Foley will be TE coach.

Hopefully they keep Foley on the line. Otherwise, why keep him?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Hopefully they keep Foley on the line. Otherwise, why keep him?

That was my thinking too. Although important, I'm sure that there are a bunch of TE coaches that can be acquired out there that will give similar performances, but I could be talking out of my on that one. Who knows...

Reaction Score
I like Diaco's hires so far. There's nothing wrong with Foley coaching TEs.

Reaction Score
If you go to C Mich web site and go to schedules/results you can go back and see Cumming's O game by game since 2010. Let's just say individual numbers may be good...but take a look at final scores/W-L's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom