Assistant coaching news... | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn: Sources tell us Notre Dame director of player development Ernest Jones will join Bob Diaco's staff as running backs coach and we also hear Notre Dame defensive grad assistant Josh Reardon will join UConn's staff as defensive backs coach.

Reaction Score
UConn: Sources tell us Notre Dame director of player development Ernest Jones will join Bob Diaco's staff as running backs coach and we also hear Notre Dame defensive grad assistant Josh Reardon will join UConn's staff as defensive backs coach.
Coaching Scoop

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Coaching Scoop

Thanks for the heads-up. Now it's time for me to Google the hell out of those two names. Anyone got any info on them?

Reaction Score
Ernest Jones
8041557.jpeg

Position:
Director of Player Development and Engagement
Alma Mater:
Alcorn State '95

Ernest Jones, who was associate head coach of the University of Buffalo football team in 2010-11, enters his second year as director of player development and engagement.

Jones is responsible for helping develop the Fighting Irish football players in three of the five core areas head coach Brian Kelly uses to develop complete student-athletes: intellectual development, social development and spiritual development (the coaching staff is charged with skill development and the strength and conditioning staff is responsible for physical development).

Jones acts as a liaison between the football players and coaching staff plus serve sas primary contact between both the student welfare and development office and academic services for student-athletes department.

Through the athletics department's student welfare and development office, Jones helps coordinate community service projects via the "Irish Around the Bend" initiative. He also helps coordinate and monitor the study hall sessions with the associate director and senior academic counselor of the academic services for student-athletes department.

In addition to his title of associate head coach at Buffalo, Jones coached the Bulls' cornerbacks and served as recruiting coordinator. He also oversaw the "Bulls in the Community" program, an initiative that encouraged Buffalo football players to be active in community service. In this capacity, Jones initiated and oversaw the football team's adoption of Jacob Ortel, a local pediatric cancer patient.

Jones served as director of player services at Cincinnati in 2009 (as a member of Kelly's staff), providing guidance and counseling to the Bearcats' football team. He worked with the academic services department regarding classroom performance and managed the "Cats in the Community" program.

From 2000-08, Jones was a college football coach, including one year as a head coach and three years coaching at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. He was head coach at Alcorn State in 2008 and was an assistant coach under Kelly from 2005-07. Jones coached the running backs at Cincinnati in 2007, the running backs at Central Michigan in 2006 and coached the Chippewas' cornerbacks in 2005.

Prior to joining Kelly's coaching staff, Jones served as defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach at Oberlin in 2004. He coached the defensive backs and was recruiting coordinator at Kentucky State in 2003.

His first coaching job was at Concordia University (Minn.) where he worked with defensive backs from 2000-02.

Jones earned a bachelor's degree in biology from Alcorn State in 1995. He received a master's degree in human services from Concordia in 2002 and is currently working towards his doctorate degree in educational leadership from Walden University.

Jones and his wife, Kimberly, have two sons: Kgai and Myles.

Reaction Score
9082784.jpeg

Position:
Graduate Assistant (Defense)
Alma Mater:
Central Michigan '06

Josh Reardon is in his second season at the University of Notre Dame as a graduate assistant for the Irish defense. Reardon joined Notre Dame after coaching four years at the College of the Holy Cross and Sacred Heart University.

At Notre Dame, Reardon assists defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Bob Diaco and works with the Irish inside and outside linebackers.

In 2011, Reardon was outside linebackers coach at Holy Cross and was part of a defensive coaching staff that helped hold opponents to only 3.9 yards per carry. Jimmy Thomas ranked fifth on the team with 59 tackles while Mike Tucker led the Crusaders with nine sacks and ranked second on the team in tackles for loss.

Reardon spent three seasons at Sacred Heart, coaching the defensive line in 2008, the secondary in 2009 and serving as defensive coordinator and secondary coach in 2010.

Reardon's first job was as a graduate assistant at Central Michigan from 2006-07. He assisted with coaching the defensive line and inside linebackers. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly was the Chippewas head coach in 2006 and defensive line coach Mike Elston was the linebackers coach and special teams coordinator.

In Reardon's first season as graduate assistant, Central Michigan won the Mid-American Conference and the Motor City Bowl en route to a 10-4 season.

Reardon was a student assistant in 2005 for Central Michigan's football team and worked with current Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco.

A 2006 graduate of Central Michigan, Reardon was a linebacker and long snapper on the Chippewas football team from 2001-04. He earned his bachelor's degree in physical education with a minor in history.

Born in Big Rapids, Mich., Reardon is a native of Sturgis, Mich. He is single and resides in Mishawaka.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You are correct sir. I guess I'll just wait on the big positions, i.e., OC & DC, before I pass judgement.

I have a feeling you will be passing judgment in a matter of hours. These names are going to be flooding in now I presume.

Reaction Score
Good info. They get a passing grade from me. Not that, that means a whole lot, but it makes ME feel good about their experience. :D

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Alright, so I found some stuff on each:

Ernest Jones: Sounds like he was a former head coach at Alcorn State and was also an associate head coach under Quinn at Buffalo. He also handled RB coaching duties under Kelly in the past. A trend in these assistant coaching names is the fact that he has also had recruiting coordinator experience (at Buffalo):

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/03/03/notre-dame-makes-the-hiring-of-ernest-jones-official/

Josh Reardon: I was a little tentative when I saw the label "grad assistant", but it is interesting to see that he is no stranger to the area. He was a defensive coach at Holy Cross and at Sacred Heart, so this is sort of a homecoming for him. Sounds like he will have much more experience than the first glance suggested (hence, the "trust in Diaco" philosophy):

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reardon_josh00.html

Enjoy, everyone...

Reaction Score
Here's what PAGS posted in other thread.

Ernest Jones
8041557.jpeg

Position:
Director of Player Development and Engagement
Alma Mater:
Alcorn State '95

Ernest Jones, who was associate head coach of the University of Buffalo football team in 2010-11, enters his second year as director of player development and engagement.

Jones is responsible for helping develop the Fighting Irish football players in three of the five core areas head coach Brian Kelly uses to develop complete student-athletes: intellectual development, social development and spiritual development (the coaching staff is charged with skill development and the strength and conditioning staff is responsible for physical development).

Jones acts as a liaison between the football players and coaching staff plus serve sas primary contact between both the student welfare and development office and academic services for student-athletes department.

Through the athletics department's student welfare and development office, Jones helps coordinate community service projects via the "Irish Around the Bend" initiative. He also helps coordinate and monitor the study hall sessions with the associate director and senior academic counselor of the academic services for student-athletes department.

In addition to his title of associate head coach at Buffalo, Jones coached the Bulls' cornerbacks and served as recruiting coordinator. He also oversaw the "Bulls in the Community" program, an initiative that encouraged Buffalo football players to be active in community service. In this capacity, Jones initiated and oversaw the football team's adoption of Jacob Ortel, a local pediatric cancer patient.

Jones served as director of player services at Cincinnati in 2009 (as a member of Kelly's staff), providing guidance and counseling to the Bearcats' football team. He worked with the academic services department regarding classroom performance and managed the "Cats in the Community" program.

From 2000-08, Jones was a college football coach, including one year as a head coach and three years coaching at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. He was head coach at Alcorn State in 2008 and was an assistant coach under Kelly from 2005-07. Jones coached the running backs at Cincinnati in 2007, the running backs at Central Michigan in 2006 and coached the Chippewas' cornerbacks in 2005.

Prior to joining Kelly's coaching staff, Jones served as defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach at Oberlin in 2004. He coached the defensive backs and was recruiting coordinator at Kentucky State in 2003.

His first coaching job was at Concordia University (Minn.) where he worked with defensive backs from 2000-02.

Jones earned a bachelor's degree in biology from Alcorn State in 1995. He received a master's degree in human services from Concordia in 2002 and is currently working towards his doctorate degree in educational leadership from Walden University.

Jones and his wife, Kimberly, have two sons: Kgai and Myles.

9082784.jpeg

Position:
Graduate Assistant (Defense)
Alma Mater:
Central Michigan '06

Josh Reardon is in his second season at the University of Notre Dame as a graduate assistant for the Irish defense. Reardon joined Notre Dame after coaching four years at the College of the Holy Cross and Sacred Heart University.

At Notre Dame, Reardon assists defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Bob Diaco and works with the Irish inside and outside linebackers.

In 2011, Reardon was outside linebackers coach at Holy Cross and was part of a defensive coaching staff that helped hold opponents to only 3.9 yards per carry. Jimmy Thomas ranked fifth on the team with 59 tackles while Mike Tucker led the Crusaders with nine sacks and ranked second on the team in tackles for loss.

Reardon spent three seasons at Sacred Heart, coaching the defensive line in 2008, the secondary in 2009 and serving as defensive coordinator and secondary coach in 2010.

Reardon's first job was as a graduate assistant at Central Michigan from 2006-07. He assisted with coaching the defensive line and inside linebackers. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly was the Chippewas head coach in 2006 and defensive line coach Mike Elston was the linebackers coach and special teams coordinator.

In Reardon's first season as graduate assistant, Central Michigan won the Mid-American Conference and the Motor City Bowl en route to a 10-4 season.

Reardon was a student assistant in 2005 for Central Michigan's football team and worked with current Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco.

A 2006 graduate of Central Michigan, Reardon was a linebacker and long snapper on the Chippewas football team from 2001-04. He earned his bachelor's degree in physical education with a minor in history.

Born in Big Rapids, Mich., Reardon is a native of Sturgis, Mich. He is single and resides in Mishawaka.​

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The other thread has their bio's. They get a pass. Look good.

Damn! I'm a day late and a dollar short on this Google thing, huh? It's kind of like trying to beat Huskymedic on a Twitter feed... ;)

Reaction Score
Alright, so I found some stuff on each:

Ernest Jones: Sounds like he was a former head coach at Alcorn State and was also an associate head coach under Quinn at Buffalo. He also handled RB coaching duties under Kelly in the past. A trend in these assistant coaching names is the fact that he has also had recruiting coordinator experience (at Buffalo):

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/03/03/notre-dame-makes-the-hiring-of-ernest-jones-official/

Josh Reardon: I was a little tentative when I saw the label "grad assistant", but it is interesting to see that he is no stranger to the area. He was a defensive coach at Holy Cross and at Sacred Heart, so this is sort of a homecoming for him. Sounds like he will have much more experience than the first glance suggested (hence, the "trust in Diaco" philosophy):

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reardon_josh00.html

Enjoy, everyone...

I agree that their titles were misleading. They have a wealth of experience.

Reaction Score
Well, you read these bios (and Patterson's) and once again, I'm reluctant to get overly excited about a new coaching staff after the last debacle, but it's hard not to be enthusiastic.

One thing is for sure, the common theme to the people that Diaco seems to be targeting is that they seem to each be in a position such that they should be quite eager to prove themselves in one way or the other, and balancing out experience with first timers would seem to be a plan. It would be good to get that chip on the shoulder kind of attitude back in the program that the players built the program up on here in the past 10 years - carry that over to the coaching staff for the next 10 years?

Bob Chip on My Shoulder Diaco's staff.

Reaction Score
Jones"s bio looks like it more fits the personnel director job...as long as these guys can recruit/improve their guys via coaching that is all that matters.

Reaction Score
Very pleased with HCBD's hires thus far (with mid-west/northeast connections & experience). Also nice that he followed through with the hiring timeline.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The other thread has their bio's. They get a pass. Look good.

I like how the older guy was an assoc head coach of Buffalo. Helps having guys with that type of experience. The more the merrier. Also, notice how that's two Buffalo assistants from Warde's time there. I'm sure he gave his opinions/blessings on these hirings.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well, you read these bios (and Patterson's) and once again, I'm reluctant to get overly excited about a new coaching staff after the last debacle, but it's hard not to be enthusiastic.

One thing is for sure, the common theme to the people that Diaco seems to be targeting is that they seem to each be in a position such that they should be quite eager to prove themselves in one way or the other, and balancing out experience with first timers would seem to be a plan. It would be good to get that chip on the shoulder kind of attitude back in the program that the players built the program up on here in the past 10 years - carry that over to the coaching staff for the next 10 years?

Bob Chip on My Shoulder Diaco's staff.

I also like the trend that multiple people have been recruiting coordinators. When coupled with the fact that Diaco was a very solid recruiter at ND, it seems clear to me that there is a concerted effort going on for bringing in people that are going to get after the recruiting trail in a big way! I am pleasantly optimistic about our recruiting future, and I am hoping that we can make a late push for kids in the class of 2014...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Also, notice how that's two Buffalo assistants from Warde's time there. I'm sure he gave his opinions/blessings on these hirings.

While you may be correct with your assessment of Warde's possible influence, I was actually thinking more along the lines of the Kelly influence. Keep in mind that Diaco and Quinn both worked under Kelly at the same time at Central Michigan (2005) and at Cincy (2009). It makes sense that the coaches that are being named are either connected to the Iowa tree or the Kelly tree (in Patterson's case, both). Again, Warde could be putting his stamp on some of this, but I think it's more likely that Diaco is leveraging his past experience with these guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom