Asia Durr Narrows list; topic morph circa p. 4 to Tennessee's status/outlook | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Asia Durr Narrows list; topic morph circa p. 4 to Tennessee's status/outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You forgot annoyance. Every year it's the same thing: "No excuses this year", "We have as much talent as anyone", etc... And how about "Now that we have___"
(You fill in the blank) Russell, Graves, Burdick, Massengale, "we'll be back where we belong". BTW, none of the aforementioned have seen the final four except on TV or with a ticket.

I couldn't agree more!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Once again, people are being rude to the LV fans for no reason than the fact they're LV fans.
Well that's plenty good enough reason. They brought it on themselves. They could have chosen to support any number of things, KKK, Nazi's, Al Quada, NY Giants, Donald Sterling, but no, they chose something even more sinister, Lady Vols.

No one seems to mind the Baylor, Duke, or Rutgers fans talking about their teams in a positive light be if some LV fan dares to do the same, they must be sneered at for some strange reason.
Are you saying it would be better if we were rude to Baylor, Duke or Rutgers fans too? I suppose we can give it a shot, although I doubt it's not nearly as much fun.

Unless the LV fans are insulting or obnoxious, there's no need to be insulting or obnoxious towards them.
Isn't being a LV fan the definition of insulting and obnoxious? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. (maybe it was on here??)

:cool: (channeling doggy and being my smart"pants" self)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Now that's odd: it seems to me that the UConn fans on their fan board: the boneyard - are stating obvious facts. every year Tennessee fans come on the board stating "this will be the year!" and this goes back a number of years. the difference is on the UConn board we have some discussion about it, including posts expressing doubt and valid reasons supoorting that doubt, yet we never reach the heights rudeness found on other fanboards of that team where posters and even the moderators make nasty comnents to us.

Tennessee fans of course are going to want their team to do well - if positions were reversed UConn would want the same thing as well and state as such, however we would not be welcomed to do so on the Tennessee boards where the opposite is true here, again with the expectation that there is going to be some debate I hope.

Even though we don't play and haven't for years it is still a rivalry .

Tennessee can come on here and have their say and engage in debate with the UConn fans who are basically saying, "you have a lot to prove"..

Dookie fans for example appear to have a better handle - or are at least tongue and cheek about it - and with good humor about their team's potential, yet we don't see from them and need to constantly reaffirm how well their team is going to do.

It's almost as if the Tennessee fans need some sort of affirmation from the UConn fans about how well their team is going to do. that probably isn't going to happen although I have seen posts supporting Tennessee when players are injured and I have seen some posts wishing them well.

Reaction Score
We're not here to seek ANYTHING from UCONN fans regarding our team. I rarely see LadyLike fans on this site who constantly talk about Tenn unless we're bought up by a UCONN boarder...whom 7 times out of 10 is making a snide remark. I understand the rivalry. I understand the "bad blood" between the teams and fan base, but it comes a time and place to just discuss WEB without taking low blows towards each other. And please someone explain to me how Duke posters have a better handle on their post. Whats so diff from their post and LadyLike posters? I enjoy this board cause there are good people who know how to discuss basketball without making rude remarks towards other teams, coaches, and recruits. Then there are people who act like little kids, making low blows just to justify their point. One thing I noticed was such high praise Diamond received when UCONN was recruiting her...then the bad mouthing came when she chose UNC. It was so crazy to me. I dont have a problem with people telling what they think is wrong with Tenn, its just the low blows that accompany.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
how did we get from Asia Durr to this?

Reaction Score
We're not here to seek ANYTHING from UCONN fans regarding our team. I rarely see LadyLike fans on this site who constantly talk about Tenn unless we're bought up by a UCONN boarder...whom 7 times out of 10 is making a snide remark. I understand the rivalry. I understand the "bad blood" between the teams and fan base, but it comes a time and place to just discuss WEB without taking low blows towards each other. And please someone explain to me how Duke posters have a better handle on their post. Whats so diff from their post and LadyLike posters? I enjoy this board cause there are good people who know how to discuss basketball without making rude remarks towards other teams, coaches, and recruits. Then there are people who act like little kids, making low blows just to justify their point. One thing I noticed was such high praise Diamond received when UCONN was recruiting her...then the bad mouthing came when she chose UNC. It was so crazy to me. I dont have a problem with people telling what they think is wrong with Tenn, its just the low blows that accompany.

Please excuse my ignorance. I read your post but, because of my slowness of mind, I would appreciate it if you would explain a few of the terms in your post that I was not able to comprehend. Who are "LadyLike" fans ? Are they fans of the Lady Vols or are they fans who post in a lady like fashion ?
What was purchased by a UConn boarder ? If you could list a few of those "rude remarks" it would be greatly appreciated. The only remark I could find that remotely approached "rude" was "annoyance". If I remember correctly, UConn fans had a mixed reaction to the possibility of DD playing for UConn.
My personal opinion about the difference between some Tennessee fans and Duke fans who post on this board can be summed up in one word, humility. Neither team has won anything on the national level the last 6 years and that is reflected in the Duke fans posts.
I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Please excuse my ignorance. I read your post but, because of my slowness of mind, I would appreciate it if you would explain a few of the terms in your post that I was not able to comprehend. Who are "LadyLike" fans ? Are they fans of the Lady Vols or are they fans who post in a lady like fashion ?
What was purchased by a UConn boarder ? If you could list a few of those "rude remarks" it would be greatly appreciated. The only remark I could find that remotely approached "rude" was "annoyance". If I remember correctly, UConn fans had a mixed reaction to the possibility of DD possibly playing for UConn.
My personal opinion about the difference between some Tennessee fans and Duke fans who post on this board can be summed up in one word, humility. Neither team has won anything on the national level the last 6 years and that is reflected in the Duke fans posts.
I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Hey RVW, I would give the benefit of the doubt here re your points about "LadyLike" and "UConn Boarders". I am willing to bet that the spell check gods made some of the changes. I have the same problem on my phone which I was using to post this morning, and I know others have said the same. Just saying.....

Reaction Score
Spelling error on my phone that I didn't care to go back and fix....its kinda clear who i was referring too! LadyLikes-LadyVols.

Reaction Score
I think the fact that UT generates so much angst, bitterness, concern - whatever - on the BY is evidence that we still take you seriously. Just wish we could actually play each other

I would so love to see UConn & Tennessee play again. The greatest rivalry in WCBB history and one of the greatest rivalries ever in all sports.

Reaction Score
Having been a Summitt "boarder" for a number of years I can reduce the difference between the boards to 2 factors: the recent history of the programs and the attitudes of the mods.

1. It's easier to be nice when you are experiencing unprecedented success. If Tenn had won 4 of the last 6 NCAA championships while UConn had gone 6 years without even a FF appearance the level of turpitude in both boards might be different.

2. The Summitt has a stated policy that civility is only required when posting about Tenn. There was a thread concerning this a year or so ago where some posters questioned whether some were going a bit overboard with comments about UConn and a couple of long-time posters stated that the "civil comment" rule posted on the board applied to all schools. They were promptly told by the head mod at the time (maria) that the rule only applied to posts about Tenn and that she felt that LV fans needed to be able to "vent" their feelings about other programs and players. I once posted nothing more but a factual comparison of Harrison and Michala Johnson's minutes after an LV fan posted that Geno drove Johnson off by not playing her enough. The actual minutes were very similar. I posted nothing else but the actual stats. Five or six posters posted in the next 5 minutes, basically telling me I was a troll for pointing that out. I sent a PM to the mods for what I saw as a personal attack. Their response was to put me on post review which lasted until I left the board this spring.

Reaction Score
But anyhow if anyone is still interested....where would you all think Ms Durr would fit in best?
Baylor. Add in one of the real good post players coming out of Texas shortly and I think Durr could lead them to the final four in a couple of years.

Reaction Score
[QUOTErwsleep, post: 1029701, member: 3775"]Baylor. Add in one of the real good post players coming out of Texas shortly and I think Durr could lead them to the final four in a couple of years.[/QUOTE]
I can agree there....With Alexis Jones coming in at the same time and from what I've been reading Kim Mulley has ties with Kalani Brown a top 10 post in the 2015 class. I think Baylor could be tough if Ms Durr does indeed go that way. I also think Duke wouldn't be a bad place...lots of playing time there for her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Now that's odd: it seems to me that the UConn fans on their fan board: the boneyard - are stating obvious facts. every year Tennessee fans come on the board stating "this will be the year!" and this goes back a number of years. the difference is on the UConn board we have some discussion about it, including posts expressing doubt and valid reasons supoorting that doubt, yet we never reach the heights rudeness found on other fanboards of that team where posters and even the moderators make nasty comnents to us.

Tennessee fans of course are going to want their team to do well - if positions were reversed UConn would want the same thing as well and state as such, however we would not be welcomed to do so on the Tennessee boards where the opposite is true here, again with the expectation that there is going to be some debate I hope.

Even though we don't play and haven't for years it is still a rivalry .

Tennessee can come on here and have their say and engage in debate with the UConn fans who are basically saying, "you have a lot to prove"..

Dookie fans for example appear to have a better handle - or are at least tongue and cheek about it - and with good humor about their team's potential, yet we don't see from them and need to constantly reaffirm how well their team is going to do.

It's almost as if the Tennessee fans need some sort of affirmation from the UConn fans about how well their team is going to do. that probably isn't going to happen although I have seen posts supporting Tennessee when players are injured and I have seen some posts wishing them well.

Has any vol fan said "This will be the year?" I haven't seen one proclamation of this. The fact is, this is one of the best boards on the internet to talk about women's basketball. Now that the Summitt requires a paid subscription, many UT fans find the Boneyard to be a great alternative. Volnation is another good alternative but it is not nearly as active at the BY. I don't think anyone is trying to get affirmation from UCONN fans, we're all just fans here and this is a board to talk women's hoops. As a UT fan, I do get a some condescending/patronizing responses from UCONN fans for my posts, but for the most part people seem friendly and are open to opposing fans as long as they are respectable. This aspect is one reason why I am most active on the BY compared to other message boards. The Boneyard is one of the best active forums to talk women's hoops, so that is why myself and other Tennessee fans post here.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Has any vol fan said "This will be the year?" I haven't seen one proclamation of this. The fact is, this is one of the best boards on the internet to talk about women's basketball. Now that the Summitt requires a paid subscription, many UT fans find the Boneyard to be a great alternative. Volnation is another good alternative but it is not nearly as active at the BY. I don't think anyone is trying to get affirmation from UCONN fans, we're all just fans here and this is a board to talk women's hoops. As a UT fan, I do get a some condescending/patronizing responses from UCONN fans for my posts, but for the most part people seem friendly and are open to opposing fans as long as they are respectable. This aspect is one reason why I am most active on the BY compared to other message boards. The Boneyard is one of the best active forums to talk women's hoops, so that is why myself and other Tennessee fans post here.

Hey, I didn't know you were a TN fan until just now when you told me.
and I just want to clarify that it appeared that affirmation was desired, and that was my opinion. No one actively sought it. I didn't mean to ruffle feather, but jeez...and you have to admit that it has been a long couple of years for TN, with hope for better at the beginning of the year, hence my comment which upon review probably should not have contained quotes.

I am reminded to take a look at the Boneyard Rules from which I quote two things:

"Welcome to all fans of women's basketball. The Boneyard is a UConn forum, but we welcome all fans of women's basketball to the 'Yard. Topics here can range from high school girls basketball to the WNBA, from UConn field hockey to the Olympics and all are welcome to participate." (from the preamble)

and

"We UConn fans like our players and team better than anyone else's and we don't have to be objective if we choose not to be. You can't force us to like your players, team, coach, whatever by endlessly cataloging their merits. There are objective people here who will discuss other teams in a positive light but there are other UConn fans who don't want to hear anything about other teams and that's OK. This is a UConn board for all kinds of UConn fans, objective and non-objective alike."

[on edit] I reread my post and thought that it sounded as though I was being a bit curt with you bb...was not my intention at all. I do agree that this is a great board where quality discussions regarding women's basketball happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let me make it perfectly clear- if UConn-Tennessee ever happens again I want the Huskies to beat the absolute snot out of the Lady Volunteers just on general principles. But any personal animosity I had towards Tennessee and their fans went right out the window after Pat Summitt announced she has dementia. Up to that point like a lot of fans I had allowed myself to get too caught up in the whole thing, forgetting that it is just basketball and not life or death. I'm sorry that it took that to wake me up as I'm old enough to know better.

Reaction Score
Baylor. Add in one of the real good post players coming out of Texas shortly and I think Durr could lead them to the final four in a couple of years.

Asia's Dad said that academic's was very important in selecting a school. If that is the case then it will be either Duke or Notre Dame.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Hey, I didn't know you were a TN fan until just now when you told me.
and I just want to clarify that it appeared that affirmation was desired, and that was my opinion. No one actively sought it. I didn't mean to ruffle feather, but jeez...and you have to admit that it has been a long couple of years for TN, with hope for better at the beginning of the year, hence my comment which upon review probably should not have contained quotes.

I am reminded to take a look at the Boneyard Rules from which I quote two things:

"Welcome to all fans of women's basketball. The Boneyard is a UConn forum, but we welcome all fans of women's basketball to the 'Yard. Topics here can range from high school girls basketball to the WNBA, from UConn field hockey to the Olympics and all are welcome to participate." (from the preamble)

and

"We UConn fans like our players and team better than anyone else's and we don't have to be objective if we choose not to be. You can't force us to like your players, team, coach, whatever by endlessly cataloging their merits. There are objective people here who will discuss other teams in a positive light but there are other UConn fans who don't want to hear anything about other teams and that's OK. This is a UConn board for all kinds of UConn fans, objective and non-objective alike."

No feathers ruffled...just wanted reply to your post and bring up some points. For Tennessee standards it has been rough the last several years, but of course Tennessee fans will be optimistic for their team each season. This has been a monstrous off season for the Lady Vols, as Holly has assembled an immensely talented roster and Tennessee returns all major contributors sans Simmons (who many feel was more detrimental than helpful.) If everything goes according to plan, I like Tennessee's chances to be back in the Final Four in 2016 or 2017. I don't think it will happen this year with so much uncertainty with players health and I don't think Tennessee has a star who can carry the team to the Final Four (but they'll have an instant star once DeShields is eligible.)

Reaction Score
This has been a monstrous off season for the Lady Vols,
Are you referring to Mercedes inability to practice this summer or is it something else that occurred to make the off season so bad?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Having been a Summitt "boarder" for a number of years I can reduce the difference between the boards to 2 factors: the recent history of the programs and the attitudes of the mods.

1. It's easier to be nice when you are experiencing unprecedented success. If Tenn had won 4 of the last 6 NCAA championships while UConn had gone 6 years without even a FF appearance the level of turpitude in both boards might be different.

2. The Summitt has a stated policy that civility is only required when posting about Tenn. There was a thread concerning this a year or so ago where some posters questioned whether some were going a bit overboard with comments about UConn and a couple of long-time posters stated that the "civil comment" rule posted on the board applied to all schools. They were promptly told by the head mod at the time (maria) that the rule only applied to posts about Tenn and that she felt that LV fans needed to be able to "vent" their feelings about other programs and players. I once posted nothing more but a factual comparison of Harrison and Michala Johnson's minutes after an LV fan posted that Geno drove Johnson off by not playing her enough. The actual minutes were very similar. I posted nothing else but the actual stats. Five or six posters posted in the next 5 minutes, basically telling me I was a troll for pointing that out. I sent a PM to the mods for what I saw as a personal attack. Their response was to put me on post review which lasted until I left the board this spring.

I didn't see your post earlier - another joy of reading the BY on the phone. Your point #2 is exactly my recollection of the posters and mods on the Summitt. And I must say, that even when TN was winning in the Parker years (for example), it wasn't any less so sadly, and the Maya Moore situation really terminated any civility. As you say, big differences between this board and that one even in the best of circumstances.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Are you referring to Mercedes inability to practice this summer or is it something else that occurred to make the off season so bad?
I meant monstrous in a good way. Mainly UT landing DeShields and Cooper. And many UT fans think that Russell was playing in pain all of last year, hence why she wasn't very effective. Whether this was the reason why she struggled or not-no idea...I have no knowledge to make that call. But I'm hoping with the bunions removed she will be a more effective post presence.

Reaction Score
I meant monstrous in a good way. Mainly UT landing DeShields and Cooper. And many UT fans think that Russell was playing in pain all of last year, hence why she wasn't very effective. Whether this was the reason why she struggled or not-no idea...I have no knowledge to make that call. But I'm hoping with the bunions removed she will be a more effective post presence.
OK. That's a new definition of monstrous to me. Foot problems certainly would have affected her play last year, given the extent of her surgery. From what I've read, her surgery was much more than bunions. Apparently, it involved all 5 toes of her right foot. The first 2 toes had part of the bones removed and replaced with plates. The other 3 toes had ligaments worked on. I believe she also had surgery on her other foot too. Until she gets back on the court, they won't know if she will be good to go. If she isn't 100%m I'm wondering if she might red shirt.

Reaction Score
how did we get from Asia Durr to this?

Because she- Durr- decided that she could do without this bantering. Leaving us to take out the rejection on our enemy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't mind having you LadyLikes fans around. But I'm still gonna give yuse guys a hard time whenever I can. Just on principle. :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just a side note on Cooper - Tennessee fans certainly can spin the stats from the EYBL however they want, but she wasn't even the best PG at that tourney, never mind the best player in her class. Dangerfield (a year younger), and Maybrey (same class) outperformed her in every statistical category - scoring, assists, FT% and FG%, and A/TO ratio. Additionally Cooper shot somewhere around 30% FG%. Not a good number no matter how many 3's you jack up (Higgs, on the other hand, was just over 50% - great for a guard). Coop wasn't in the top 15 for APG (Marta Sniezak averaged an eye popping 8.2).

Both Maybery and Dangerfield scored more than Cooper. Ogunbowale, Ionescu, Higgs (in addition to a host of others) had better PG stats including assists, A/TO, etc, and while Cooper is touted for excelling in defense, she wasn't in the top 15 for steals.

So basically you have a kid who was #5 in the tourney in scoring. Sounds similar to Meighan Simmons. I'm not saying Cooper won't be good. Maybe she will be very good or even great in college. And if all you look at is scoring, you can say "hey she was terrific". If she's a SG, all those other stats won't matter as much. If Tennessee fancies her as a PG, she has some work to do. If you want a PG who scores a ton but is turnover prone and not great on assists (raw #'s or %'s), then that's perfect.

As a side note, Asia Durr didn't have any eye-popping stats in the tourney either. Top 20 in scoring and top 15 in FT%, but that's about it (FT's btw - Dangerfield shot 93.5% - 29-31. And she was 3rd in the tourney!)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom