Ashton-Langford, W. Jackson, V. Jackson, Ali, Samuel, Cassell, Lubin, Enoch... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ashton-Langford, W. Jackson, V. Jackson, Ali, Samuel, Cassell, Lubin, Enoch...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Since 2005 the only player JC got to stay for their junior year who was in a better NBA position was Thabeet. I presume you understand its little different now than 2005.

To say KO didn't have the clout to get him to stay is really really dumb. Did Calaparri not have the clout to have the Harrisons or Orton stay? I could give a list of 20 players from top programs who leave before they should because that is the world we live in right now.
The difference is that Haseem Thabeet looked ready to go. Hamilton did not look nor was ready to go. He's playing in the D-League for a reason. He isn't good enough for the NBA. He should have stayed to further develop his game.

Reaction Score
JC was the nicest, most genial guy in the room during home visits. Turned into the terminator when the kids got to campus.

It is true that, kids don't seem to want 'tough love' as much these days. They've grown up coddled to in the AAU scene, it's a shock to the system. Harder and harder to find the junk yard dog guys.

It was my understanding though that JC let it be known from the start of the process that there were no promises and obviously his reputation preceded itself in regards to his demands. Is it possible that KO has not developed that rep just yet? Parents (and players) looked at JC as a father figure who was going to make the player a man. Not sure KO has developed that just yet.

Maybe I'm off base, but the last 3-4 years the angry, pouting KO face has come out quite a bit and for some reason (mostly b/c we are losing) it does not seem to reach these kids at all. With JC, he did the maniacal tyrant thing, but he had a way to make them want to run through a wall for him 2 minutes later. Obviously, it is not fair to compare JC and KO at all but...

I just wonder if these players see KO one way during the recruiting process and then see him entirely different as a coach; i.e. their expectations are totally warped. B/c it sure as hell does not look like anyone is having fun and our effort has absolutely been inconsistent. Losing is a part of it, but we have looked totally out of sorts basically 2 1/4 of the last three years.

Reaction Score
The difference is that Haseem Thabeet looked ready to go. Hamilton did not look nor was ready to go. He's playing in the D-League for a reason. He isn't good enough for the NBA. He should have stayed to further develop his game.
You completely missed the point of the post, and the point of the post I responded to (at least I hope you did because your response makes not sense in relation to it).

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
JC was the nicest, most genial guy in the room during home visits. Turned into the terminator when the kids got to campus.

It is true that, kids don't seem to want 'tough love' as much these days. They've grown up coddled to in the AAU scene, it's a shock to the system. Harder and harder to find the junk yard dog guys.
Find them or make them. Junk yard dogs rule.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Kids hate Kevin Ollie

IMG_2799.JPG

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Quick personal anecdote that some may find amusing, I remember playing pick-up at UConn with one of my buddies, and we had Samuel, Cassell and Lubin on our team. Game to 11 against a pretty average group of kids in my class.

We lost 11-5. Samuel and Lubin took every shot and shot maybe 20% combined.

Not for nothing, but maybe you really, really sucked.

Reaction Score
I was criticized saying KO needs to counsel the players and give them some guidance not this take it or leave it approach - that's not going real well for us is it?
Yup that is how JC coached. Lots of guidance, counseling, hell he even tucked them in.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Price Ali had a decent freshman year at UCLA and redshirted this year due to a torn meniscus. Not sure how anyone can say he's a disappointment. Was Mo Harkless a Calhoun commit before he backed out and ended up at St. John's? It's a lot of work to get a good recruit. You can't let them get away. I suspect KO's brotherhood talk is a bunch of BS. Does KO strike you as a friendly guy? I really don't see that. Maybe he sells that and when the kids get on campus they realize he's a different person than they thought. I also think we need to focus our recruiting on the Northeast. Too many long distance players seem to get homesick. JC always had kids from far away but I don't remember them leaving because they were home sick. The ones that left mainly left because they hated being in JC's doghouse.

Reaction Score
"We simply need to be better at identifying the right kid and getting him".

That's it in a nutshell. We need warriors.
You sound like what we hear on football board. The name of the game is recruiting. UConn hoops neds to get its share of Top 30, Top 50 talents or continuing its d3scent.

Reaction Score
Price Ali had a decent freshman year at UCLA and redshirted this year due to a torn meniscus. Not sure how anyone can say he's a disappointment. Was Mo Harkless a Calhoun commit before he backed out and ended up at St. John's? It's a lot of work to get a good recruit. You can't let them get away. I suspect KO's brotherhood talk is a bunch of BS. Does KO strike you as a friendly guy? I really don't see that. Maybe he sells that and when the kids get on campus they realize he's a different person than they thought. I also think we need to focus our recruiting on the Northeast. Too many long distance players seem to get homesick. JC always had kids from far away but I don't remember them leaving because they were home sick. The ones that left mainly left because they hated being in JC's doghouse.
Prince Ali College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com. We didn't lose anything by not getting Prince Ali.

Reaction Score
Prince Ali?? Didn't that dude avg 3pts and 1rb per game... DAMN we might have won another title with that kind of production!!!

Yes, Harkless was a decommitt for us

I think KO by nature, attracts soft guys. We lacked toughness this year more than anything, not talent. The kid who wants a nurturing, players coach who won't yell at him too bad and let him play free, those the guys we get. Unfortunately, when Cincy smacks you in the mouth, we find out what's what

Reaction Score
Prince Ali decommitted with the writing on the wall. He knew UConn was close to signing Adams.
From Shabazz to Adams to MAL, UConn had formed a pipeline for the best local point guard. That is why losing MAL is disappointing.

Personally, I don't think MAL is bailing because of UConn coaching changes or recent transfers. He is leaving because now Alterique Gilbert is in his "rookie class", and he doesn't want to compete with him.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You sound like what we hear on football board. The name of the game is recruiting. UConn hoops neds to get its share of Top 30, Top 50 talents or continuing its d3scent.
Not saying we don't. Not an either or debate to me. But I can say this. What good is being rated a "top 30 or top 50" talent if they are not warriors? Talent is only one aspect. Character is what wins championships.
We have a track record of winning NC's with less than the highest "talent". Character includes unselfishness and team mentality.

C

Chief00

There is a difference between tough love by a caring coach, who would also built you up, and a guy who has loss the respect of his players. We will see which coach KO is?

Reaction Score
There is a difference between tough love by a caring coach, who would also built you up, and a guy who has loss the respect of his players. We will see which coach KO is?

If KO has lost the respect of his players let's hear who and why Chief. I mean you can't throw crap like that out I would hope with some sincere know all so let's hear it. Prove your in and tell all.

If not, don't go there it's a pretty crappy agenda.

Reaction Score
Agreed on your first part -- some of those guys weren't good enough. Letting them go was the right decision, but why were they brought in in the first place?

Ali was absolutely not recruited over, that's such a ridiculous take. Ali blew up at an AAU event and decided he wanted a bigger stage. KO was left at the altar. The fact that we got Adams later was a consolation, but is largely unrelated.

The last 3 are worrisome. Either he's not bringing in the right guys, or he can't get them to stick around. I'd include Hamilton in that category as well, frankly.
Many years ago I talked to a scout for the Celtics and I told him I was excited about UConn's incoming freshmen. He told me you never know until they get there and find out if they if they can play against Div. 1 competition. That was the case with Lubin, Samuel, and a number of players all the way back to Justin Brown and Brian Buckelew. Every school has transfers.
When you look at transfers closely you'll find that in most cases it comes down to PT.

Reaction Score
None of the transfers have any successes and one is begging to come back. For this yr, have anyone watch the games? The issue is the lack of player skills and Toughness. how many dunks did enoch miss, how many times jackson'S man blow by him for layups. How many open jump shots did we airball. How many front end of one and one did we miss. The issue is that we don'the have tough players. Steve Enoch, Juwan Durham have the deer in the headlights look when they r in the game. Vance did not make a big shot till the Houston game. He had several opportunities to hit open 3 to that was way off. Did u know that the older players with most heart like adams n purvis have major issue with some of the freshman work ethic. Did u see the screaming match between vance n purvis during a huddle. Losing vance n enoch is addition by subtraction in my book. Losing MAL is a different story since he had the best potential to defend the 3 in a 3 guard lineup. Let's see who the new players coming in are. We don't need 5 stars, we need 2 to 3 stars and 5 tough sobs. We have stars in jalen, potential in gilbert n larrier. Toughness in Diarra n vital, need either Cobb or Carlton to step up.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Quick personal anecdote that some may find amusing, I remember playing pick-up at UConn with one of my buddies, and we had Samuel, Cassell and Lubin on our team. Game to 11 against a pretty average group of kids in my class.

We lost 11-5. Samuel and Lubin took every shot and shot maybe 20% combined.
Holy . I played the game before that. Lubin was on the other team and Omar Calhoun was on ours. Samuel was jawing back and forth with someone from the sideline.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nobody liked Lubin. He was in conflict with nearly every player on the team during the 1 year he was around. The only thing he ever contributed was a really good fat guy joke about Mrs Butterworth.

Reaction Score
Nobody liked Lubin. He was in conflict with nearly every player on the team during the 1 year he was around. The only thing he ever contributed was a really good fat guy joke about Mrs Butterworth.
He was big in that one Cincy game at XL. Was very happy for him that game. And admittedly more happy to see him transfer in good academic standing

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Does anyone seriously think that losing a 54 year-old white assistant coach with a bad haircut is the reason current players are leaving and MAL bailed? I don't buy it. You don't play for the assistant, you play for the head coach. Previous posters nailed the MAL situation. Jalen Adams not going pro (good thing because he's not ready), Gilbert redshirting and now being in the same class as MAL plus Chillious potentially bringing Blake was too much competition for MAL to handle. The current players bailing when playing time is plentiful is what has me seriously concerned. We need to know what's going on. JC doesn't seem to have been much of a presence around the team the last couple years. I wonder why?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom